Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,242 Words
  • 2,134 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 74. Chapter 74

(Dad and I are sitting on the porch, Mom is listening through a window)

“I’m going to be very busy this summer. They want me to schedule seminars of my teaching methods being the major topic. I probably will do a lot of traveling. Marie is truly devoted to that clinic, so I’m not sure marriage is in the cards for now. I think we should wait for 3 to 4 years when all of my work settles down.”

Dad looks at me and I wink. He looks at the window and see Mom almost having a heart attack.

“Are you serious about the seminars.”

“Yes, but If I can arrange it, I’ll do them at the school. The proposal was to set up a school where I could teach my methods. The school was to be in Europe. They wanted me to resign from the Academy, this was my compromise position.”

“You are getting a reputation.”

“Thanks to my army”

Dad laughs, Mom comes out and I get hit on the shoulder and dad gets it on the head. “Mom, you shouldn’t be listening in on our conversation. You could come out here and sit with us and join in our conversation. Try it sometimes, I knew you were listening, just like at home. You would sit in that one kitchen chair where you could hear what we said. Promise from now on no trying to sneak a place to hear, just join us. You know we love you and I’d be interested in what you think."

I got a kiss, Dad got another hit then a kiss.

“How about some coffee?” Mom was going to get it, “No, sit there I’ll get it.” I could hear them talk while I was gone. I yelled, “I can hear you.”

 

The boys finally got up, mom fixed them a hearty breakfast. They came out on the porch with a glass of orange juice. “You did that on purpose didn’t you?”

“Did you forget that we run each morning? You should have came straight back.”

“Johnny wanted me to see his room.”

“And what else did Johnny want you to see, maybe a swimming pool?”

“Yes, actually he gave me a tour. The study room looks great and that mural, it makes the room homely. I felt as if I was in someone’s home.”

“You were, that mural is a copy of the artist’s home. The room is very similar to his home, I gave him permission to paint that mural.”

“Oh the Oath, where did that come from and the sign Ye Olde Dining Hall?”

“Johnny could have answer the question about the Oath”

“He did but who painted it?”

“Johnny could have told you that as well.”

“Adam, I have one question, are you really going to build a 4 year college.”

“Yes, the plans are already approved, and if you walk over there you’ll see pegs in the ground. By the end of summer, the foundations will be done and the construction will be started. It will be a 4 year liberal arts college.”

“That means no technical subjects? Like engineering?”

“Yes, like engineering. For those you’ll have to go to another school.”

“Are we going to run tomorrow?”

“Of course and we are going to run around the lake.” The boys looked at me, “I’ve done it so you can do it also”

“Adam, can we go fishing?”

“Sure, you know where the rods are, the boat and the fish. Catch enough for dinner and count on two more.”

I’m sure about Billy, he has fished here before, but for Johnny this has to be an adventure. I sat on the porch step and watched them. Billy rowed them toward the middle of the lake, Johnny wanted to try it, Billy gave him the oars, Johnny ended up rowing in a circle until Billy told him how to row. Then they were headed to the middle of the lake. I went and got my camera, took pictures, I planned on sending to Johnny’s parents with my weekly letter.

Fishing lines into the lake, I waited, Billy caught the first fish. I knew if they were biting Johnny would catch one soon. Billy caught another and then I saw the bobbin on Johnny’s line begin to jiggle . Johnny was so excited I thought he would lose the fish, Billy helped him reel it in. It was a big fish, he held it up, I snapped several pictures. Now Johnny was a fisherman, they caught quite a few. When they came in, I met them at the dock. I took a group picture and then one of each, with their fish. Billy knew he had to clean his, Johnny didn’t. He watched Billy and when I handed him a knife, I think he wasn’t sure about the cleaning part. Billy showed him and then I snapped him cleaning his first fish, with all of his faces.

Dinner that evening was a lot of fun. Mom baked the fish and George and Marie joined us. Billy asked when were we going to get married. “I don’t think we’ll get married. I mean once you are married and if you want to stop for a drink with the guys you have to call and tell her which really means you need permission. Who wants that and when you are late for dinner, that one really bothers me. You hear about it for days and of course the food is either cold or burnt. No, It’s easier when you’re single.”

“It isn’t easier for us woman either. No stinky feet to put up with, not allowed to go anywhere without answering a thousand questions, like where are you going, with who , what time are you coming back, who is going with you. Questions after questions. And don’t get me started on having kids.”

I looked at Johnny’s face. Then I started to laugh, Marie came over and sat on my lap, “It’s worth it, right.”

“Yes, babe, it’s worth it.”

Billy looked at me, “You play dirty.”

“No, we like to have fun, ask Mom.”

“So when?”

“We don’t know, there are so many factors that needed to be addressed. Marie’s practice, she can’t walk away without someone to take over. I can’t walk away from school, what would Johnny do. He would miss me as well as the other Knights. Who knows who would take my place.”

I noticed Johnny shivered a little when I said that. “No, the school is too important to get married now. But we’ll be married before Johnny leaves school, he’ll be in my wedding along with all of the Knights. I still have a lot of work to do, still some dusty corners that need cleaning.”

Johnny smiled he was assured I’d not be leaving the school. “Well, gentlemen, should we convene to the porch for an after dinner drink, while the woman clean up.” True to himself, Johnny picks up his plate and silverware and takes it to the sink. I whisper to him, “Five coins for that.”

“Adam, how do you decide who gets the extra coins?”

“Simple, two ways, one if they are asked to do some work, then the coins are like pay earned. The other way is what you saw with Johnny, consideration of others without being prompted, and sometimes when they make me proud of them.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 20
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, fun and games are part of their lives, Johnny has learnt a new skill that he will need to practice on, it's going to be an interesting end of the school year

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Five coins for taking your dishes to the sink. Hell, I put the dishes in the dishwasher AND unload it, I want some coinage too! lol Adam and Marie are on their way to happiness but mom, talk about snoop central. While Adam teases about it, it would have to get on my ever lasting nerve. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Looks like an exciting end to the school year with the fair and construction about to begin, wonder how many boys stay at the school for the summer?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Johnny is learning plenty of skills outside of school.

Skills a normal boy would learn growing up in a neighborhood with other boys.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Five coins for taking your dishes to the sink. Hell, I put the dishes in the dishwasher AND unload it, I want some coinage too! lol Adam and Marie are on their way to happiness but mom, talk 😀about snoop central. While Adam teases about it, it would have to get on my ever lasting nerve. 

You know those coins are only good for a certain machine and have no value outside of the Academy, but I understand that you would really like to be one of Adam's Knights. 😀 I don't understand Mom sneaking around to overhear their conversations. I guess everyone has some quirk and that was hers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Looks like an exciting end to the school year with the fair and construction about to begin, wonder how many boys stay at the school for the summer?

Whoever did in the past, I'll bet they won't in the future 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Kev

Posted (edited)

I reckon Johnny and Billy make a great team... I wish I could sleep in like them:no: Johnny looks as if he is going to bounce of Billy as much as Billy is bouncing off him. It would be great if he turned out to be a prince of a GREAT european island. He couldn't be though as they are a load of gentrified people that love hunting and fishing and shooting. Come to think of it, what the hell do they do?:rofl:

Marie and Adam are going to be the death of his mother, either that they really won't get married and will just present her with a screaming bundle to look after for them. I had four of them, I tried to avoid the screaming part as much as possible... First time I changed my eldest boy in the hospital the midwife laughed her head off. There I was being so careful, took the nappy off and then he pissed right up into the air and into my eye!!! Oh yes Adam needs to be warned.:facepalm::blushing:

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

They wanted Adam to resign to teach these seminars in Europe?If they want to learn this they should come to him if they want this so bad.

Adam needs some of these people to go through this seminar first and then apply it to their place of employment first before even thinking of  leaving the academy.By then maybe somebody with experience teaching Adam's methods could replace him.But I could also see Adam never leaving that place

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

They wanted Adam to resign to teach these seminars in Europe?If they want to learn this they should come to him if they want this so bad.

Adam needs some of these people to go through this seminar first and then apply it to their place of employment first before even thinking of  leaving the academy.By then maybe somebody with experience teaching Adam's methods could replace him.But I could also see Adam never leaving that place

They were going to build a special school in Europe where Adam could teach his methods. He would have had to leave the academy. That was a no deal for him.

I think he may do seminars either at the academy or at a school in Europe but only when the Academy is on summer break.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Yes, changing a baby boy's diaper (nappy) can be an amusing thing. There is something about exposure to the cool air that brings on a little boy's fountain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

Yes, changing a baby boy's diaper (nappy) can be an amusing thing. There is something about exposure to the cool air that brings on a little boy's fountain.

How well I know that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..