Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,290 Words
  • 2,466 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 25. Chapter 25

“Adam, what do you think about Marie?”

“What do you mean what do I think about her? She is a very nice person from what I gather just talking for a little while. What do you think?”

“I think she is very pretty and she must be smart to be a doctor.”

“I agree with that but there is more to a person than looks and brains. What kind of personality do you think she has?”

“I think she would have to have a great personality to be a doctor in a small town. She could make a lot more money in a large town but she opened her office here. Don’t you think that says a lot about her?”

“Yes, Billy I have to agree that says a lot about her.

“Maybe she is the one.”

“Are you trying to play matchmaker?” He just smiled and skipped some more rocks. I don’t know if what Billy said started me to think or was it our conversation, but the more I thought about it the more I became interested. Maybe she is the one.

Walking back to the cabin, I saw George getting in his car ready to leave. We waved goodbye as he pulled out to go back home. “Dad, Mom, ready to go for dinner, or do you want to stay awhile longer?”

“What do you want to do? We don’t have to hurry back.”

“I like to walk around a little, sort of check out the property.”

“While you do that I noticed a tea kettle in the kitchen, I’ll make us a cup of tea.” Mom took a small hamper from the car and headed to the cabin.

“Dad, we should look into installing solar panels on the roof of the cabin. We might have to build a shed next to the cabin for the batteries but it would save on electricity. I didn’t ask, but are the appliances running on electric or gas?”

“All the appliances are using propane gas. George said about two tanks will be all we’ll need. The tanks are buried on the right side of the driveway just a few feet from the cabin. But using solar panels might not be a bad idea. That’s something I can look into.”

“It wouldn’t hurt to have a satellite hook up for a computer, that way I can monitor my students. Many programs allow a face to face connections.”

“Well, if that’s what you want then I suggest you carry the ball on that one.”

I thought the cabin was a great buy and would be used a lot by myself and Mom and Dad. I knew I’d never get a chance to come here without my bodyguards. Every time I look at Billy and Scotty I wonder if Bill and Jennifer know how special their family is.

I wanted to walk up that hill behind the cabin to see what was on the top and to also see how far I could see. I knew Billy could make it but I wasn’t sure about Scotty. I was right, about halfway up the hill I had to give Scotty a horsey back ride. As he nestled in my neck he’d kiss me while he’d say, ‘ Getty up horsey ‘ and then giggle. Billy led the way, looking back every once in a while to see if we were catching up. At the top of the hill, all we could see were more trees and hills. I was about to turn around and head back when I noticed something moving in the trees. Whispering in Scotty’s ear, “Look at that tree, there is something there.”

Scotty looked where I was pointing, then in my ear, “That’s a squirrel.”

I blinked and start to chuckle as the squirrel heard us, he peeked out of the tree. Billy saw it and snapped a picture. “For Scotty to show dad.”

Going downhill was a lot easier and so we jogged, much to Scotty’s delight. Entering the cabin with Scotty still on my back. Mom just smiled. I let Scotty down as he began to tell Mom about seeing the squirrel. She handed me a cup of tea and a soda for the boys. I felt the cans and they were cold. She had wrapped them in a plastic bag filled with ice.

After we drank our tea, sitting on the porch steps, mom asked me about Marie. “You never give up do you?” I grabbed her into a hug as I said that so she knew I was joking.

“I think she’s a lovely lady but then all the women I have met are lovely ladies. Looks aren’t as important to me as personality and general attitudes. There’s much more to a partner than looks. If I could find a clone of you, albeit a little younger, I’d marry her in a heartbeat.” I got a slap for that, a motherly slap.

“Are we ready to head back? I’m getting a little hungry.”

“Ok boys let’s get everything cleaned up so Granddad here can get some dinner.”

He laughed as Billy and I checked the cabin to make sure everything was closed and locked up. When I looked for Scotty he was in the car, he was going to ride shotgun. I was ready to say something when Dad said it was ok.

On the way back to the motel and dinner, “Adam, do you think that fits your idea of a vacation home?”

“Between Steve’s and this I’d say we had our bases covered. I think I’ll enjoy spending time here. We need to get some furniture and linens and things, maybe that’s something I can do over the next few weeks. I guess the beds we saw stay, did George say anything about them needing to be replaced?”

“He said that Marie made him buy those beds about 1 year ago. Some of the relatives wanted to spend a few weeks here and the ones that were there were single beds and quite old.”

“Well, that’ll simplify what we need to buy and bring. If it’s ok with you Dad, I’ll spend the rest of my vacation bringing things here and getting it all set up.”

“How much longer do you have?”

“I have another 4 weeks before I need to be back. I’m also going to be looking at some private schools where I’ll have an opportunity to employ my teaching style. I never thought my tutoring would have such an impact on my life. I should stop by the school and see who is still around.”

I knew what the next question was going to be, “Adam, if you come back before school starts, can I come with you?”

“Sure Billy but we must continue to run each morning. It’d be nice to have some help loading and unloading the truck.” I now waited for the next shoe to drop. I saw Scotty looking at me, when I glanced at him he had tears in his eyes. “What’s the matter, Scotty?”

“I’m too small to help so I guess I can’t come with Billy.”

“Who said you’re too small and can’t help. I didn’t say that.”

“So I can come too?”

“Of course, if your mom and dad allow. But I think they will, what do you think Billy?”

“I’ll ask Mom and Dad, they’ll let you come and we’ll have some things for you to do to help. Maybe we can go fishing and get a few fish for dinner.”

The tears were gone, a smile was there and a hand was on my leg. When I looked in the back seat, my mom had a big grin.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 20
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sometimes, too many poking their noses in where they don't belong, ruins a relationship before it ever even gets started. The boys will have a blast with Adam at the cabin getting everything setup. I wanna go too!!! lol 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, so they will look at getting the place into the current situation, with solar and satellite coverage , of course that the human element cannot be discounted

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Chris L said:

Sometimes, too many poking their noses in where they don't belong, ruins a relationship before it ever even gets started. The boys will have a blast with Adam at the cabin getting everything setup. I wanna go too!!! lol 

The next time Adam goes to the cabin, I'll ask him to take you with him. How's that?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, so they will look at getting the place into the current situation, with solar and satellite coverage , of course that the human element cannot be discounted

I think Adam may want to use that cabin as his base of operation . Their is an old interest there

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Of course, Scotty can help!  He may not be able to lift the big stuff, but he can certainly open packages and put wrapping in refuse bags.  He can help by getting the scissors, screwdrivers, screws and other equipment that might be needed and save Adam and Billy steps.  He can get refreshments for everyone. He can put things in drawers and on shelves.  There’s a LOT he can do to help when opening and setting up the cabin!  How old is he, anyway?  I get the impression he is around 6-7 years old. That’s plenty old enough to help (while still getting ‘babied’ a bit (just a little) as he has been).

Just a comment on the solar panels.  Unless they are above the tree line, the panels won’t work for them.  They have to have a clear access to sunlight for a certain percentage of the day.  The cabin is in the woods.  They would have cut down a significant number of trees in order for that to work.  We’ve been looking into it for our home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Clancy59 said:

Of course, Scotty can help!  He may not be able to lift the big stuff, but he can certainly open packages and put wrapping in refuse bags.  He can help by getting the scissors, screwdrivers, screws and other equipment that might be needed and save Adam and Billy steps.  He can get refreshments for everyone. He can put things in drawers and on shelves.  There’s a LOT he can do to help when opening and setting up the cabin!  How old is he, anyway?  I get the impression he is around 6-7 years old. That’s plenty old enough to help (while still getting ‘babied’ a bit (just a little) as he has been).

Just a comment on the solar panels.  Unless they are above the tree line, the panels won’t work for them.  They have to have a clear access to sunlight for a certain percentage of the day.  The cabin is in the woods.  They would have cut down a significant number of trees in order for that to work.  We’ve been looking into it for our home.

Scotty is 7. you ae right on solar panels .  Maybe wind mills

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Windmills could work.  They can get them above the tree heights without harming many, or any, trees or disturbing the wildlife. 👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Windmills could work.  They can get them above the tree heights without harming many, or any, trees or disturbing the wildlife. 👍

Or put them on the top of the hill

  • Like 3
Link to comment

 "he peaked out of the tree" – Don't you mean 'he peeked out of the tree', ah homophones, there are just too damn many of them in English! Sime lexicographers list abiut 400, other experts seem to find thousands, but they include ´near homophones'.

I have often wondered if that is because the Rnglish language is a child of so many different language parents – everything from Norse to Latin and Greek. oncluding German and French. The two men I am currently sharing a home with are Portuguese speakers (one from Brazil and one Continetal), fortunately one of them has a good command of English, too, otherwise I would be stuck as my foreigm languages are German abd a tiny bit of French.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

 "he peaked out of the tree" – Don't you mean 'he peeked out of the tree', ah homophones, there are just too damn many of them in English! Sime lexicographers list abiut 400, other experts seem to find thousands, but they include ´near homophones'.

I have often wondered if that is because the Rnglish language is a child of so many different language parents – everything from Norse to Latin and Greek. oncluding German and French. The two men I am currently sharing a home with are Portuguese speakers (one from Brazil and one Continetal), fortunately one of them has a good command of English, too, otherwise I would be stuck as my foreigm languages are German abd a tiny bit of French.

As I traveled throughout Europe, I became aware of those words that we spell as they do but we pronounce them differently and in somer cases we used them in a different context.  I attribute that to the many wars and re-settlement of people. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

 he peaked out of the tree —   he peeked out of the tree  Peak: a high elevation — Peek: a secretive gance.

OKAY, the old troll who lives under the grammar bridge, got his kicks in today.

Mr Will

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 5/27/2021 at 8:25 AM, Will Hawkins said:

 "he peaked out of the tree" – Don't you mean 'he peeked out of the tree', ah homophones, there are just too damn many of them in English! Sime lexicographers list abiut 400, other experts seem to find thousands, but they include ´near homophones'.

I have often wondered if that is because the Rnglish language is a child of so many different language parents – everything from Norse to Latin and Greek. oncluding German and French. The two men I am currently sharing a home with are Portuguese speakers (one from Brazil and one Continetal), fortunately one of them has a good command of English, too, otherwise I would be stuck as my foreigm languages are German abd a tiny bit of French.

yes, that is exactly what I meant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

 he peaked out of the tree —   he peeked out of the tree  Peak: a high elevation — Peek: a secretive gance.

OKAY, the old troll who lives under the grammar bridge, got his kicks in today.

Mr Will

You aren't that old to me, I'm 84

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..