Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,162 Words
  • 10,187 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 34. Chapter 34

The next two weeks, I helped around the house fixing a bunch of little jobs, ran with Billy and Bill, when he was home. Took Scotty and friends to the park, which ended up with ice cream before heading home. We had dinner a few nights with Jen and Bill, we reciprocated by having them over. It was two weeks before I had to report back to the university to begin my preparations for the new term when I received a letter from the school.

The letter started with, ‘After a thorough discussion with the school’s Board of Directors, we have decided to adjust our offer’… I couldn’t believe the new salary. It was double the amount in the first offer. I immediately called Henry and told him. He was thrilled and said he already had my replacement lined up.

That evening I thought how did Henry know about the new offer, knowing I would accept and lined up my replacement? Something wasn’t right. So I called Henry and asked him. I couldn’t believe what he said. At one of his conferences, he met the head of state of an African country. They became friends and his son attends this private school. He called his friend, he wouldn’t tell me who and told him about me. His friend told him to line up my replacement because he would see that the school made the correct offer.

The next morning I sent an acceptance letter to the school confirming what was in the offer. Two days later I received a call from Dr. McMillan welcoming me. She asked to meet with me the following week, to which I agreed.

I sat down with Mom and Dad, told them about the offer and that I had accepted. “We need to plan on another trip to the cabin. I’ll call Bill and let him know, maybe they can come with us.”

Bill took off Friday so we were able to leave Friday morning. Since Bill had to be back on Monday, he drove his car. “Dad, I’ll be living at the cabin when I’m not on campus, so over the next few weeks when you and Mom come up, could you bring the rest of my clothes? I have packed enough for two weeks but since I’ll be living there, I might as well have all of my clothes there.”

“What about your apartment at the university?”

“I’ll have Henry handle that. It’s a nice apartment and maybe my replacement will want to rent it. They can ship my things to you and then you can bring them with you on one of your many visits.” I smiled at them when I said that. The apartment came furnished and they were only a few items that I wanted. Henry would take care of that.

We drove straight through, Mom and Jen had packed a picnic lunch which we ate as we gassed up the cars. Billy looked at me, he had a questioned look. I knew he wanted to know about the diner. I avoided the subject. Going into the station to pay for the gas, I had a tail. “Adam, are we going to stop at the diner?”

I was going to tease him but decided not to do that. “Yes, for dinner”

He was a happy camper from that moment on. Pulling into the parking lot, Billy hurried into the diner. Ann’s mother saw us coming in and pulled together a table big enough for all of us. Billy introduced Bill and Jen to Ann’s mother. He then looked around, Ann was at home. She didn’t work today. In today's world of technology, nothing stops a man on a quest. “Adam, may I borrow your car?

“Coming right back?” He nodded yes, I gave him the keys.

“Thirty minutes later Billy was back with Ann. He introduced her to his mom and dad, pulled out the chair next to his seat, and offered it to Ann. I just smiled and nodded my head indicating that I was proud of him. Ann’s mother was surprised to see her at our table, “How did you get here?”

Ann just nodded in the direction of Billy.

Dinner was quite vocal as Ann was telling Bill and Jen about the area and the activities this weekend. Bill had to be back at work, Jen said she didn’t have to be back at work and would return when he came to get them the next weekend. Dad said he’d go back with Bill as there were a few loose ends he needed to tie up. I think he felt Bill should have company going back.

The weekend was great. We went into the town, if you wanted to call it a town, more like a very small village. I surprised Marie at the clinic, reminded her about the dinner she promised. Billy, Bill, and I ran every morning. Every time I run with Billy I become more convinced he is Olympic material.”

I promised I’d be there to coach him when he went to the trials. I was hoping it’d be when I didn’t have to be at school.

Sunday night, Bill and Dad left. With the usual cautions, drive carefully, if you get tired pullover and rest, here’s a thermos of coffee to help keep you awake, etc., etc. All offered in good faith and plenty of love.

Monday morning I headed to the school. Billy stayed home and I wouldn’t be surprised if he spent the afternoon at Finny’s Diner.

“The meeting at the school went very well. I was shown my office and introduced to the various instructors that I hadn’t met before. I reviewed the curriculum, I reviewed the top and bottom 10 percent of students, and then I was offered to have lunch in the Staff Dining Room. “Dr. McMillan, I would prefer to have lunch in the student's dining room. One gathers a lot of insight into student behavior when not in class. I’ll also learn a little about their behavior toward other students.”

“I think that you are the first teacher or Director that has made that request. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t but you need to dine in the Staff Dining Room, we discuss a lot of the school's business during lunch. I’ll have Jane show you where the student dining room is located.”

I waited for Jane to come to my office. The first thing she noticed is that my office door was open. “Is your door open for any reason?”

“No, I’ve always kept my office doors open in case someone wants to come and talk to me, if it’s a private matter, I close my door. I want students to feel free to come and discuss any problem with me. I’ll see that you get a copy of my book and then you’ll understand me more. Shall we go to lunch?”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 18
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 minute ago, dutch woman said:

I like the story more and more

Good, I'm, glad you are enjoying it

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Kev said:

More and more and more... Also loving Adam more and more. My favourite teacher was the one that had time for you, no matter when it was and his door was always open. Come to think of it, that was also how my favourite boss worked as well. I agree I think Adam will teach the teacher just as much as he will teach the students. 

Strange I never thought of closing my door of my office. I guess all of my Boses kept their doors open so I followed suit. Adam;s focus is on students not politics 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Adam is gonna upset a few staff members but help alot of children 

Absolutely, the children. are his main focus

  • Like 3
Link to comment

There might just be a bit of a learning curve for this stoic stuffy institution of higher snobbery and distance. Hahahaha!!! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

There might just be a bit of a learning curve for this stoic stuffy institution of higher snobbery and distance. Hahahaha!!! 

I think there will be big learning curve4

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The proof will be in the results, it will take a few weeks but...you won't be able to argue with success!!

Link to comment
8 hours ago, drsawzall said:

The proof will be in the results, it will take a few weeks but...you won't be able to argue with success!!

 

8 hours ago, drsawzall said:

The proof will be in the results, it will take a few weeks but...you won't be able to argue with success!!

You are correct , the proof is in the pudding, was an old saying

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 5/27/2021 at 10:07 AM, Kev said:

More and more and more... Also loving Adam more and more. My favourite teacher was the one that had time for you, no matter when it was and his door was always open. Come to think of it, that was also how my favourite boss worked as well. I agree I think Adam will teach the teacher just as much as he will teach the students. 

When I was at the high school level, my door was always open.  We had students coming and going from the moment we opened the door in the morning to the time all the students left in the afternoon.  Same with teachers.  At the elementary level, I tended to keep the doors closed only for noise control and to help keep the kids’ attention focused on what we were doing (younger kids are so highly distractible!). However, they always knew they could come and talk to me.  I remember once in my first school, I had an Open Library period and 2 girls (4th  grade?) showed up at my door.  They were just short of tears.  I don’t remember the details, but they were having some kind of problem in class and decided to come to me.  I got them calmed down and walked them to their classroom and spoke with the teacher and we got the problem taken care of.  Another time, a 5th grade girl told me of an adult man who was trying to ‘date’ her.  I told her to stay away from him as much as possible, and I reported it to my principal so it could be taken to the next level (required by law).
 

It always made me feel good to know the kids trusted me enough to come to me when they had a problem.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

When I was at the high school level, my door was always open.  We had students coming and going from the moment we opened the door in the morning to the time all the students left in the afternoon.  Same with teachers.  At the elementary level, I tended to keep the doors closed only for noise control and to help keep the kids’ attention focused on what we were doing (younger kids are so highly distractible!). However, they always knew they could come and talk to me.  I remember once in my first school, I had an Open Library period and 2 girls (4th  grade?) showed up at my door.  They were just short of tears.  I don’t remember the details, but they were having some kind of problem in class and decided to come to me.  I got them calmed down and walked them to their classroom and spoke with the teacher and we got the problem taken care of.  Another time, a 5th grade girl told me of an adult man who was trying to ‘date’ her.  I told her to sdamage top these vulnerable children.tay away from him as much as possible, and I reported it to my principal so it could be taken to the next level (required by law).
 

It always made me feel good to know the kids trusted me enough to come to me when they had a problem.

You are not the exception I'm sure.  But those  who closed their doors and minds do a lot of damage 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..