Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 779 Words
  • 64,477 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 4. Chapter 4

By the second six-week period, it wasn’t secret anymore. Billy didn’t tell, the football guys, Jerry, Dan, and Emory told the squad. Within a week it was all through the school about Adam tutoring the football players and it wasn’t three, the rumor was everyone on the squad was being tutored

Now there was a problem, if a player wasn’t being tutored and scored a high grade, they wouldn’t believe him. It took the coach and Mr. Cheston to put the rumor to bed. Even then you could hear a snicker and the word tutor at the same time.

School was soon out for the summer, my boys did very well and Jerry did receive a scholarship to play football at a small school in the mid-west. At first, his dad said he couldn’t go, my dad talked to his dad and he was on his way. I didn’t find out until Jerry graduated that Dad gave him an allowance to cover school incidentals. Jerry never made it to the pro’s but he wanted to be a coach. When he graduated from college, he was hired as an assistant coach, at our school, working with the junior sports program.

My senior year I was called Teach, I never had a nickname before then. I was asked to head up a tutoring program for the 10th grade and eventually, it was expanded to junior high. I had several seniors helping, so none of us were confined to a strict schedule. We worked around the schedule of those we were helping. Of course, any football player that got into trouble academically, I was called to help.

I remember one morning Billy and I had just finished our run, “Adam, what do you think about Jennifer?”

“I think she’s a lovely person. She’s smart, fun to work with, why, do you like her?”

“Yes, I’d like to ask her out on a date. Do you think she’d say yes?”

Now I knew something Billy didn’t. Jennifer liked Billy and thought he was a nice guy but just shy. Billy and I never dated, I concentrated on my studies, and then when I did have time I ended up tutoring. Mom and dad always said there was plenty of time. We had our gang who we hung out with. We never paired up, we’d go to dances in a group and pretty much stayed in a group. “Billy, I’d bet if you asked Jennifer to go out on a date, she would jump at the chance. Ask her at lunchtime.”

Billy smiled, I knew he was happy and I also knew he’d be really happy when she said yes. I never missed dating a special girl, don’t know why. Got along with about everyone. I was happy that way, never thought I missed anything by not going out.

 

Senior year was over in a flash. As a graduation present, Mom and Dad gave me a trip to Europe. We had cousins in England and Dad had arranged for me to stay with them for a month. They had stayed with us two years ago. Our families kept in touch over the years, and I was looking forward to the break.

Billy and Jennifer announced their engagement and had been accepted to the same college. He was over the hill happy and Jennifer was like a cat that just caught her mouse. Only this mouse wanted to get caught.

My summer vacation was great. The cousins made sure I got to see all of Great Britain and not only England. I took hundreds of pictures and bought scads of souvenirs. They tried to get me to go to one of their prestigious Universities but I wanted to go to a small college that allowed the students to interact on a one-to-one basis with their professors. There were a few where total enrollment was limited. This guaranteed small classes and intense professor-to-student interaction. High school was large enough for me.

 

Arriving home, Mom and Dad had a list of 5 schools that met my criteria. Mom had a favorite based on a concert they had in the town where the school was located. Dad was from a big university and he was just glad to see me go where I wanted. I never had a negative vibe from my parents, we talked everything through. I think having an artistic mom and a statistical dad guaranteed me a balance. Mom and her music taught me the appreciation of the masters and Dad being a CPA with his own company taught me the appreciation of order. I was happy and so were they.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 23
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 minutes ago, Chris L said:

If only more parents could be as supportive of their children's healthy choices and accomplishments regardless of their own preferences and prejudices. 

Yes, it would be a better world. Unfortunately some people think of their children are to be dominated. Never works, sooner or later the child rebels and the parent loses. You would think the parent would be devastated when a child turns their back on them and walks away. But they aren't and look for the flaws in the child and not themselves.   Sorry, pet peeve of mine 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Looking forward to more adventures of Adam, he will thrive in a small college!!

He will and an adventure he will have

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Adam implied that someone being tutored might be considered by students to be a shameful thing .I never came across that in fact I respected people who sought tutoring help.The dumb things people snicker at.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Adam implied that someone being tutored might be considered by students to be a shameful thing .I never came across that in fact I respected people who sought tutoring help.The dumb things people snicker at.

Remember kids can be cruel. I remember helping kids in high school in math. I never said anything, they did. The word was out, having problem with math, see me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I always thought that I'd end up with my own company like his dad. Had my own clients and kept a job down at the same time but the more I worked the more the ex wanted... Ended up cutting the clients and guess what? The divorce was quick to follow... So envious of his dad have his own company. I love teaching or talking and training in work situation, but I don't think that I could ever have become a teach. Absolutely love Adam.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

I always thought that I'd end up with my own company like his dad. Had my own clients and kept a job down at the same time but the more I worked the more the ex wanted... Ended up cutting the clients and guess what? The divorce was quick to follow... So envious of his dad have his own company. I love teaching or talking and training in work situation, but I don't think that I could ever have become a teach. Absolutely love Adam.

Teaching isn't for everyone. I couldn't be a teacher but I could be a tutor

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Oh oh. Things seemed to be going well. Perhaps too well. Is there a shoe about to drop? (seems I've been here before or at least the trail seems familiar, with, like a roller coaster, some twists and turns coming up before a big drop. Analogies almost used up). 🎢 :unsure:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Oh oh. Things seemed to be going well. Perhaps too well. Is there a shoe about to drop? (seems I've been here before or at least the trail seems familiar, with, like a roller coaster, some twists and turns coming up before a big drop. Analogies almost used up). 🎢 :unsure:

Yes, but get ready for a turn

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I note that there is a little confusion over the British university system. While colleges can be huge and lectures can sometimes be attended by large numbers, the lectures themselves are rarely compulsory, the undergrads being expected to do research and reading of material themselves then attended meetings with tutors/counselors generally in small groups for discussions on the material - these groups are rarely more than a handful of attendees. Few subjects require drop tests or quizzes as they do in American colleges, though some may require "paper" in terms of a project. Mostly the passing is based on the end of year exams.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..