Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,475 Words
  • 2,357 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 28. Chapter 28

Sadly, it was time for me to head home and get ready for another year of teaching. Billy and Ann were now a couple, well, as a couple of two teenagers miles apart can be. Scotty cried when he heard I was going south and he wouldn’t see me for a while.

“Arriving back at my old apartment, I decided to check on my special students. It appears that I had no special students, the school system looked at what I was doing and seeing the results decided on a trial basis to implement my system. They had to hire me as a consultant which was even better, I could teach the teachers my method.

“There were a few special students as the school year progressed but I knew once they saw the improvements, my methods would become standard and they wouldn’t need me anymore. I still taught at the university and this gave me time to write my book explaining my teaching philosophy and methods.

It was after Easter when I was contacted by a very prestigious private school to become Director of Education. Normally I wouldn’t be interested except this school was close to the cabin, if you call 4 hours close. I decided to interview the school rather than have the school interview me. I did have a job so if they wanted me, then I needed to want them.

“The interview was to be on a Friday afternoon before the end of the school year. I had discussed this with my department head and he said he’d look into it and give me his opinion. After a week he came back and said, “If you don’t want this job, I’ll take it”

That was all he said. I made arrangements to drive home on the weekend before, one thing about college professors there are always grad students to fill in for you. The last week of school was mostly review before the final and my grad students could do that.”

“I drove home over the weekend and surprised Mom and Dad. I told them about the interview, Dad went and checked it out on his computer. “Are you going to stay here or at the cabin?”

“I thought we could go and stay at the cabin. The school is only 4 hours from the cabin but 10 hours from here. So why don’t you pack up and we will leave on Monday. “

“I think we should take both cars. We can pack enough groceries for the week and with both cars, we should be ok.”

I spent Saturday with Mom shopping. About dinner time I went and checked on Bill and Jennifer. Jen was working but Bill was home. I didn’t knock, walked in, went to the kitchen got a cup of coffee, and then went and sat down in the living room watching TV with the boys.

I must have sat there for 15 minutes before Scotty turned around and saw me. I quickly put the cup of coffee down as he jumped into my lap. He almost broke my neck with his hug. Bill came down when he heard Scotty and then he saw me. By this time Billy had tagged me with a hug.

“When did you get in?

“Last night. Spent today shopping with mom.”

“School isn’t out so what are you doing here, not that I’m complaining?”

“We have one more week and we normally use this time for review. I have grad students doing that. I’ll have to go back next weekend and grade papers. Then that’s it for the summer”

“Why did you 'need to take the week off' ? What’s happening?”

“I was asked to come north for an interview as Director of Education for a very small school,” I told Bill the name of the school, he sat down.

“Do you know the parents of the students that go there? Some of their families are not only rich but are the leaders of their country.”

“Well, before you get excited, I’m interviewing them not them interviewing me. You know how I feel about my teaching methods. They have to agree to those methods or I’ll walk.”

“So what are you going to do between then and now?”

“I’m going up to the cabin. The school is 10 hours from here but only 4 hours from the cabin.” I knew what was coming next. Scotty being in second grade was no big deal. Billy was in high school and even if this was his last week as a junior, his tests were still a big deal to miss.

I could see the disappointment in his eyes. I knew what I had to do. Monday morning I went to his high school and spoke to the superintendent. He knew me so it was easy to convince him. We agreed that I’d tutor him on the information he’d be missing, we further agreed that he could make up the tests on the following Monday. I agreed to be there to be a monitor when he was taking the tests. I thanked the superintendent and told him I would send him a copy of my book which was at the publishers.

I drove over to Bill’s place and told Jennifer what I had done. She just shook her head, Billy must have overheard me since he was down giving me hugs. Jen called Bill and told him, he said it was ok. “You guys get everything packed. Billy, you get to school and get your books and assignments. I’ll pick you up at school after I pick up Scotty.”

I drove home, told Mom what I did she just shook her head, we packed the cars. “Dad and I are going to leave now. Dad wants to take his time. I’m sure you’ll catch up with us by the time you get ready to leave."

She was right, by the time I picked up Scotty and made sure he had everything he needed including some toys and then went to get Billy it was almost lunchtime. “Billy, call your mom and tell her we are leaving now.”

We drove for two hours before we stopped for lunch. I stopped for gas, some bottled water for us, and a couple of bananas. After another three hours of driving, Billy realized we were close to the restaurant. He looked at me with such deer eyes, I pulled off the road and parked at the restaurant.

When we opened the door of the restaurant, we saw Billy and Ann, they were kissing. “Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?”

“Had no time it was a last-minute decision.”

All four of us sat down while Ann’s mother took our orders. Scotty and I just listened as Ann and Billy talked a mile a minute. Billy looked at me and smiled. There was no question he was happy.

After lunch, we were getting ready to head toward the cabin. Ann came out and asked if she could go. “Aren’t you suppose to work?”

“Mom said she would handle it.”

I looked toward the restaurant and saw her mother wave. “Ok, but do we need to stop and get anything for you?”

“Maybe Billy and I can pick up some things later.”

“No, I think it would be better if we do it now. We could get busy and then not have time to do it later.”

Ann didn’t argue, she shows us where she lived and in the process, I saw the clinic. While Ann was in the house, “Billy I know you haven’t seen each other for a while. I don’t want to find out that because of that you couldn’t go to college because you have to work to take care of a family. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“I understand what you’re saying but it’s hard to stop.”

“How long have your mom and dad been married?” Now Billy would be 18 soon and I knew that Jennifer had him after her graduation.

“Mom and dad have been married 21 years.”

“How old are you, if they could wait can’t you also wait. I don’t want to see you lose out on a college education because you were too anxious to express your love. You have to think of Ann as well, what will her parents think? I’m sure they want the best for Ann as well. Do you want Ann to be a waitress all of her life and give up on any of her dreams? What about your dreams, do you want to give up on them? I’m not your father, I‘m saying this to you as a friend who loves you very much.”

I knew that the ultimate decision would be his. But I hope he makes the right one.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 13
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

26 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Nothing like a birds and bees talk to start the morning! LOL!!! 😂

With hormones running at Olympic speed, my guess he will hear that message any times 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I am trying to remember who sang that song" love is in the air" they are in for a rollercoaster ride.  Another awesome chapter

  • Like 4
Link to comment

When I was Billy's age I would have screamed to myself in my head KILLJOY!! But I would also know intellectually that Adam was right and Billy is smarter then me besides they could still do a few things just not THE thing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, mikedup said:

I am trying to remember who sang that song" love is in the air" they are in for a rollercoaster ride.  Another awesome chapter

I don’t know who sang it, but wasn’t that the theme song from The Love Boat?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

 

28 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

I don’t know who sang it, but wasn’t that the theme song from The Love Boat?

I just looked it was by John Paul Young in 1977/78

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

I am trying to remember who sang that song" love is in the air" they are in for a rollercoaster ride.  Another awesome chapter

Theme song from "Love Boat"

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

When I was Billy's age I would have screamed to myself in my head KILLJOY!! But I would also know intellectually that Adam was right and Billy is smarter then me besides they could still do a few things just not THE thing.

They could do that as well as long as someone didn't get pregnant. Adam is right, hopefully, he will heed good advice

  • Like 4
Link to comment

An early form of 'coitus interruptus"😆

“How old are you, if they could wait can’t you also wait. I don’t want to see you lose out on a college education because you were too anxious to express your love. You have to think of Ann as well, what will her parents think? I’m sure they want the best for Ann as well. Do you want Ann to be a waitress all of her life and give up on any of her dreams? What about your dreams, do you want to give up on them? I’m not your father, I‘m saying this to you as a friend who loves you very much.”

  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

An early form of 'coitus interruptus"😆

“How old are you, if they could wait can’t you also wait. I don’t want to see you lose out on a college education because you were too anxious to express your love. You have to think of Ann as well, what will her parents think? I’m sure they want the best for Ann as well. Do you want Ann to be a waitress all of her life and give up on any of her dreams? What about your dreams, do you want to give up on them? I’m not your father, I‘m saying this to you as a friend who loves you very much.”

Definitely, we always think the initiative comes from the boy what if it is from the girl. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Kev

Posted (edited)

Why wait? You just have to put a cover on the damn thing! If it's going to happen, it will happen... Remember these things have minds of their own in such matters. Me I should have known I was gay when I married as I was still a virgin and willing to let it stay that way for as long as she wanted. Damned woman molested me that night! I was so naive :devil: that soon changed😂

Edited by Kev
  • Like 2
Link to comment

we saw Billy and Ann was kissing — we saw Billy and Ann were kissing. The last time I checked, it took two peoplr to kiss,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

we saw Billy and Ann was kissing — we saw Billy and Ann were kissing. The last time I checked, it took two peoplr to kiss,

yes it does, 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..