Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,305 Words
  • 2,237 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 123. Chapter 123

The next morning, there was a chill in the air. It was a pre-omen of a cold winter. I watched as the boys walked to the warmth of the benches. “Are we going to run this morning?”

“I wasn’t planning on it. Maybe if the day warms up a little.”

Caleb brought a pan of hot biscuits, Gaston brought a pan of scrambled eggs and a plate of cheese. I watched as Caleb pulled open a biscuit, you could see the steam coming off of it., Gaston added some egg and cheese, the sandwich was handed to the boy in line, Marie came out to help, she took over Gaston's job while he went and came out with a pot of hot chocolate. The biscuits, eggs, cheese, and hot chocolate kept coming until the boys had all they could eat.

Clearing the tables, Marie went and got some games she had at her house. She showed them how to play, then left them to it. The younger boys like Monopoly, several played checkers, and chess, the older boys played cards. A few were playing bridge, there were the poker players but they didn’t have money. When it looked like the games were losing interest, Caleb and Gaston brought out cookies and milk.

“How many of you remember the berry patch and apple trees?” It seemed they all did, “Would you also like to go and see what else we can find growing wild?” That ended the games. Hans got the wheelbarrow, placed Anton in it, and pushed him along with the rest of the boys.

We all headed to the north end of the Lake to check on the apple tree. Abe said they were all picked and those that weren’t dropped. The animals finished them off. The berries bushes were empty, the birds finished those off. We saw some nuts on the ground as we walked into the woods, Abe said the squirrels will eat those. The boys found some odd shape stones, they collected them. The older boys decide they wanted to go fishing, so they left. We decided we’d walk to town. When we got there, they headed for the junk store. I knew they had this in mind. They found some long-handled forks, but they were in bad shape. I convinced them the next time I’ll have some new forks. So we went and had an ice cream cone.

 

Walking back to the cabin, we passed Abe and Jer’s house. There was no sign of their dad, I nodded to Hans, he disappeared and then it was my turn to wheel Anton. A few of the boys offer, so I let them. I knew that everyone would eventually get a ride in the wheelbarrow.

 

The boys had caught a few fish. Caleb suggested we freeze them since we had brought over enough food for the weekend. Dinner was hot soup, very rich in vegetables and chicken. It was very good, which was followed by a hamburger plate which included a hamburger, baked potato, and steamed cauliflower. The boys could go back for more, but they had to take their plate back to the cabin for a refill. Again there was hot chocolate with a hint of vanilla. The dessert was a berry tart with a scoop of ice cream. The boys liked it but I wondered if they “knew it was sugarless ice cream.

After dinner, the boys drifted. Some stayed at the tables talking or playing games, a few went for a nap and some went to read a book. It was late in the evening when lightning and thunder announced the coming rains. The cooks were prepared. They had cheeseburgers, hot potatoes, and bean salad.

“How are you going to get the food to the kids, they are in their chalets?”

“No problem, Caleb went to the storage room and returned with a large metal pan with a lid that snapped on. As the cheeseburgers were finished they were layered in the pan separate by aluminum foil, potatoes were wrapped in foil, Gaston had inserted a little butter in them before wrapping, and the bean salad was placed in a plastic cup with a lid. They prepared enough so that each boy could have two of everything. Hans, helped them run the food up to the chalets. One of the older boys found an umbrella, I think it was Marie’s.”

They kept this up until the boys said that had enough, pans returned with used aluminum foil. Hans said they were all ok.

I waited, hoping the storm would let up, it didn’t. I put on an old raincoat, took my flashlight, and headed to check on my boys. I approached the first chalet just as lightning lit up the sky followed by the thunder. I knocked on the door, and walked in, “Everything ok here?”

The boys were in bed huddled under their sleeping bags. I went to each chalet and checked on all of the boys, I carried one back with me. He was the youngest and was scared.

I took off my rain gear, the boy was soaking wet. I took a towel, and removed his top, began to dry his hair and upper body. He was still shaking. “Here, take off your wet pants, dry yourself and then wrap the towel around your waist and come out into the living area. I went and got two sleeping bags, which I placed on the sleeping mat, heated some milk, added a little vanilla. When he came out, I picked him up and sat him on my lap. “Here drink this and it will make you feel better.”

He drank it and smiled, “Feel better?”

“Yes, thank you Father”

“I took him to the sleeping bag, told him to climb in, and then give me the towel. I took his wet clothes and the towel, tossed them in the dryer. I went and crawled in my sleeping bag which I had lain next to his. He looked at me, I smiled, reached over and rustled his hair, leaned over, and kissed him on the cheek. “Go to sleep, son, no one can hurt you here.”

“Good night Father” “Good night son”

“I waited until I was sure he was asleep before I closed my eyes.

I was awakened by a beautiful fairy, “So this is where you sleep”

I reached up and pulled her down for a kiss. She nodded to the next sleeping bag, he had one arm out and was touching me with it. “I checked all of the boys, he was crying. I brought him here, dried him off, gave him a cup of warm milk. I never was afraid of the storm but some children associate the storm with something bad or hurtful in their life. Whenever it was a bad storm, Dad would light the fireplace, Mom would make hot chocolate, and we’d snuggle until the storm blew over. That was a happy memory for me.”

“What are you going to do for breakfast? Those tables are all wet.”

“Wasn’t there a diner on the road home and I don’t mean the diner that Ann’s parents own. When we drove to Mom and Dad's, there was a diner about 2 hours south. We could take the boys there and then head back to school”

“You could but I have the clinic.”

“You could follow us and have breakfast with us.”

“No, you go on and I’ll see if I can come over on Thursday. Then we can stay at the school or bring the boys back here.”

“Actually, I wanted to make a trip to Liechtenstein we can do that on Friday morning and return either Sunday night or Monday morning. They need to see their princess.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 minutes ago, Billy Martin said:

Another wonderful chapter.

thanks, it seems the boys are experiencing what a Boy Scout at a camp would be experiencing.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Another fantastic weekend comes to an end. A trip to Leichentenstein to look forward to, so they can see there Princess.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Another fantastic weekend comes to an end. A trip to Leichentenstein to look forward to, so they can see there Princess.

yes, I think Adam and his sons will look forward to the trip as well

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Just Gerry and Anton or all 110 boys as they all call him Father.

definitely Gerry and Anton and his grandmother, not sure about the others

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Waking up to the coolness of the morning and listening to the sounds of nature are pretty amazing but when the sun goes down and one is able to see all the stars above, that is breathtaking. ... until the thunderstorm comes and then not so much! lol 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

Waking up to the coolness of the morning and listening to the sounds of nature are pretty amazing but when the sun goes down and one is able to see all the stars above, that is breathtaking. ... until the thunderstorm comes and then not so much! lol 

yes, a thunderstorm tends to frighten young people. Being away from home and family only heighten that fear. Adam knows this and he went to check on the boys. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

It is good thing that he really looks after the boys ,they trust him more and more , interesting trip ahead

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

It is good thing that he really looks after the boys ,they trust him more and more , interesting trip ahead

To many of the boys, particularly the new boys, he is regarded as their caregiver.  They have learned from the older boys to trust Adam. 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Wonder if there will be any issues when they go back over to Europe!!

Let's hope the European trustees are far, far away!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The trip to Leichentenstien might be interesting.People being people I wonder if somebody in a position of authority is attempting to do something corrupt because Adam and Gerry are not there?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Just now, weinerdog said:

The trip to Leichentenstien might be interesting.People being people I wonder if somebody in a position of authority is attempting to do something corrupt because Adam and Gerry are not there?

I think this is a routine trip probably to take grandmother home 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Wonder if there will be any issues when they go back over to Europe!!

Let's hope the European trustees are far, far away!

they will be.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I don't like lightning either😭will Adam snuggle next to me please... only till it's passed. I think I need someone to snuggle, just watched England lose on penalties and though I don't watch football I wanted it to come home. My boss will be in a kick ass mood all week now:fight:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Kev said:

I don't like lightning either😭will Adam snuggle next to me please... only till it's passed. I think I need someone to snuggle, just watched England lose on penalties and though I don't watch football I wanted it to come home. My boss will be in a kick ass mood all week now:fight:

That is a shame.  I use to follow football but it has been harder to get on my computer 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am so fortunate in the mother I picked for myself. My mother totally loved a storm and she bred that love into me. I remember one time when we were living in a small house in Hollywood Beach, Florida. There was a hurricane predicted and my mother was all excited, she had never been in a hurricane before. So we got out all the kerosene lanterns just in case the power went out, made sure we had a fresh propane tank for the stove and settled down to enjoy the storm.

Just befor it struck a police patrolman in his car, cruising about the neighborhood saw lights in our little house and stopped to see if we were OK. He learned that there was going to be a lone woman with a young son who would be sitting out the storm so he made it a regular stop in his rounds, we always had a cup of hot coffee ready for him and he would stop by, chat for a few minutes then take off on his rounds again. He was amazed at my mother's reaction to the storm, she was in heaven, enjoying every flash of lightning and crash of thunder, she and I would sit in the living room and watch the lawn furniture and garbage cans blowing down the street. 

Mom bred that enjoyment of storms into me — even unto this day, over 80 years later. I still enjoy a storm (if I am inside where it is warm and dry!).  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Will Hawkins said:

I am so fortunate in the mother I picked for myself. My mother totally loved a storm and she bred that love into me. I remember one time when we were living in a small house in Hollywood Beach, Florida. There was a hurricane predicted and my mother was all excited, she had never been in a hurricane before. So we got out all the kerosene lanterns just in case the power went out, made sure we had a fresh propane tank for the stove and settled down to enjoy the storm.

Just befor it struck a police patrolman in his car, cruising about the neighborhood saw lights in our little house and stopped to see if we were OK. He learned that there was going to be a lone woman with a young son who would be sitting out the storm so he made it a regular stop in his rounds, we always had a cup of hot coffee ready for him and he would stop by, chat for a few minutes then take off on his rounds again. He was amazed at my mother's reaction to the storm, she was in heaven, enjoying every flash of lightning and crash of thunder, she and I would sit in the living room and watch the lawn furniture and garbage cans blowing down the street. 

Mom bred that enjoyment of storms into me — even unto this day, over 80 years later. I still enjoy a storm (if I am inside where it is warm and dry!).  

There is something about a storm that causes people to react in two ways, frightened or excited. I'm wasn't as excited as your mother but I was calm, anxious to see what was happening outside.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..