Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,041 Words
  • 2,246 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 130. Chapter 130

The boys’ adoption was completed. I did find out their real names, and that became their middle name. All of the Knights celebrated at Dinner with a special meal that Caleb prepared for us. I had four happy boys, and yes, Gerry did check my heart. I had only one wish, and that was that I could include Gerry with these four.

Later, when I was alone in my office, Gerry came and sat on my lap. “What you did was a good thing,”

“Yes, but I wished I could have made that five instead of 4.”

“You have Father. I will always be your son, in spirit if not in name.”

I pulled him into a hug that showed all of my emotions. I had to hold him like that for a while until the tears in my eyes were dry. “You’re going to be a great leader.”

The day before Christmas break, I had all of the boys and staff meet me in the Dining Hall. “Today is the last school day of the year. Tomorrow we start our Christmas and New Year break. Since I will not be here for Christmas, I would like to give each of you your Christmas gift. This has been a year of great strides forward and a little sadness as well. But we have come through it with good friends. As James calls your name, please come forward.” I gave James a sheet of paper with the names in the order to be called.

We started with the staff. I gave each of them a box of selected foods and an envelope. I watched as they opened their boxes, they said thank you, and then they opened their envelope. A few sat down. I knew why. They thought the boxes were it. Mr. Rusello came and thanked me, and then they all did. Next was the kitchen staff. The cooks got a box and a check for 500 dollars. Again they smiled and thanked me. Jane whispered, “They never got anything before.”

The chefs just got a card, when they opened it, they smiled, hugged each other and then hugged me. Next was Jane, and she got an envelope as did James. Jane opened hers. It was a trip to Europe and 500 dollars. Annie came and stood by James. He opened his envelope, and then he showed it to her. I got a kiss on my cheek for that.

Now I had a special gift for my painting protege, a trip to Europe to visit the art galleries in Rome, Italy. Of course, he couldn’t go by himself, so Mr. Rusello had to be included as well. It was apparent to me when Mr. Rusello opened his envelope. He assumed it was a cruise. He looked at me. I pointed to his envelope, he opened it again and then smiled, it was a plane ticket.

Now that all of the staff had their gifts, my Knights were next. “As Lord James calls your name, come forward. I asked one thing, please do not open your package until everyone has theirs.”

James started to call them, and he handed them their package. When I handed out the last package, I gave one to Lord James. He looked at me, “You may open them now.”

I watched as they opened them. Then I was swamped with hugs and thank you. The boys ran out of the Dining Hall. I knew where they were going, and phones would be ringing.

James hadn’t opened his package. “Are you going to open your package?”

He did, and he had his ring. “You are Lord James of the Square Table, are you not?”

Annie laughed.

The rest of the day, people were in and out of my office telling me thanks for the gifts. Then my phone rang, “The Ambassador.”

“Richard must have called him.”

“Merry Christmas, Richard,… yes, news travels fast….I needed a gift for the students, and I have one for you as well. All members of the Square Table get one.… They are very nice, at least I think so, and they are unique… Yes, we’ll be at the cabin for a few days, and then we’re flying home for the holidays….I was thinking of taking Mom and Dad with us….Certainly, that won’t be a problem…so we’ll see you there….Great I look forward to it, and I’ll have your gift.”

“Doc, the lines are jammed.”

“Okay, start feeding them to me.” I had 105 phone calls from parents thanking me for the gifts. The common comment, ‘This has never happened before.’

James came in and sat down with Annie. “Doc, this is a wonderful gift. We can now get married before the year is over.”

I reached into my desk drawer and took out another envelope. “James, I couldn’t have done what I have done without your help. Here”

It was a letter promoting him to Assistant to the President. “You need to hire a secretary.” With the title came an increase in his salary. I’ve never seen a grown man cry; I can’t say that now.

“Don’t you have a wedding to plan”

I closed my office door. I think that was the first time it was closed. There was a knock. I went and opened the door, and there were my sons.

“Father, we came to thank you for the rings. All of the Knights would like to say thank you, can you come to the Dining Hall.”

I looked at Gerry, he smiled. I followed them to the Dining Hall. There was Able with a board, or so I thought until he uncovered it, it was a painting of me in front of the academy. Now I had tears in my eyes. I sat down, “There are no words that I can say that will tell you what this means to me. You boys have made my life so rich, and now this. Thank you, and Able, you are a genius. I don’t know what more I can say. Thank you all.”

Each boy came and hugged me; I hug them back. There wasn’t anything I could say, and there weren’t enough words to express my feeling.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 33
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

An amazing and awesome chapter, definitely a feel good chapter, I wish them all a happy Christmas holiday.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, mikedup said:

An amazing and awesome chapter, definitely a feel good chapter, I wish them all a happy Christmas holiday.

I hope there isn't anything to upset their apple cart.  When everything seems to go well, something pops up.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..