Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,769 Words
  • 2,297 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 65. Chapter 65

I did interview the doctor, Dr. George Montain. He was an older gentleman who had a practice with another doctor. He wanted to retire in a few years so he began to transfer his patients to the other doctor. In time he found himself with a small group of patients that had been with him, he said forever. It was a time for him to have fun and for him being around children was fun. We talked about salary, I knew what he was expecting he told Marie. My offer was higher, he accepted on the spot. He would start on the first of the next month, I had James give him a tour of the medical facilities as well as his office.

I felt proud of myself until I called Marie to tell her. “Hi guess who I just interview?.. He’s your uncle, why didn’t you tell me… Ok, yes you would have influenced my decision., No, he starts on the first of next month… Yes, I like him and I think the kids will also. Oh, I have another phone call, I must answer it. I’ll call you tonight.”

“Yes Ambassador, how may I help you… I’m surprised but Richard is a smart young man…Of course I didn’t tell them to do anything. ..I gave them a hypothetical situation and asked them if they were King Arthur’s Knights what would they do… they asked questions about a treasure in a village, that is right…I’m not sure what happened after that, I left to get ready for an interview for the medical position… yes I did hire the doctor… highly qualified.”

I listened to what he was saying. The trustees are having a meeting with the major players and they think they may be replaced. “That seems rather drastic doesn’t it.”

I listened and I was amazed at what I was hearing. “You know you are always welcomed, Ambassador. I’ll have accommodations for you here at the school. Good, see you then.”

“What did you do now?”

“It appears my army has captured the flag. The trustees are being asked to resign and those that contributed to the school during the construction and appear to still own the property and buildings. They have the right to shut down the school, appoint trustees who will manage their interests. I take that more or less managing the school. Since all of the issues with the old staff, the money issues, they are saying the trustees were not doing their job. They have a meeting at the end of this week. The Ambassador with a few owners, are coming Monday. We need to get the apartments cleaned and in shape.”

“Leave that to me. When you arrive here Monday, those rooms will shine. Tomorrow morning, you have the interview with the chef.”

“I need a cup of coffee.”

“Be careful your army may still be around and you don’t want to be captured.”

“What are you going to put in there?” I was standing in front of Arlene’s old office.

“I’m thinking of turning this space into a computer room. What do you think, Apple or Microsoft?”

He looked startled that I would ask him, “I’ve only used the computer a few times but articles I read say Apple is good, it has fewer hackers.”

“Apple it is. I’m looking for a teacher to teach computer science. If you hear of anyone let me know. I’m off to get a cup of coffee.”

He smiled as he left to go to class. The cafeteria was empty. I got my coffee and headed back to my office. I noted that the oath was coming along quite nicely. Sitting at my desk, I wonder if I could get a sign to hang outside the entrance to the cafeteria. Ye Olde Dining Hall, I could do that in two lines and maybe use faded or what would appear old wood.

Sitting in my office, I started to look for local painters. I found a few but they were more house painters. I wonder if Able could do it under the eye of Mr. Rusello. I need to check on how he’s doing.

I walked to the room and he was off the scaffold and working from the floor. “This painting, Mr. Rusello, is perhaps one of the most beautiful I have even seen. Its realism makes one want to lay down next to you. I won’t ask you to sign this but if you did, you should sign it in that picture you are drawing on the floor.”

He looked at me. "You know you are a good man. I thought my painting days were over, I feel like a classic painter again.”

“And you have a student, who I think wants to be another Mr. Rusello.”

“Doctor Blake, my name is Angelo Rusello. I’d be pleased if you called me Angelo.”

“It would be my honor but then you must call me Adam.” We shook hands, deal done.

“Let’s talk about your protege. I have another project for him when he’s done with the Oath. Have you seen it yet? You should stop and see it, he’s another Rusello in the works.”

“Did you see my signature on Camelot?”

“Yes, and I saw another signature in the corner. Does he know about it?”

“No, but he did help, so I thought he should have some recognition.”

I gave him a twenty-dollar bill, “Sometime when you see him give him this. Tell him you sold Camelot and this is his share.”

I stop at the kitchen, “Where is Able?”

“He went home to get some clean clothes. He said he will finish painting the wall tonight.”

“When he comes back, tell him I do not want to see him anywhere downstairs until dinner time. I have another project for him.” I think there were tears in her eyes. I saw Caleb, moving halves of pork into the freezer. He looked at me when he came out. “Caleb, I’m hiring a chef for you to learn from, I expect you to do well.”

“Ms. Wilson, I just told Caleb that I hired a chef for him to learn. I think you are going to need a few new boys. For now, hire three new boys, I want them to be serious as these three are. Between you and me, you’ll be losing Joe from the kitchen pretty soon as well.”

I left and headed back to the office. “James, who taught you about computers?”

“No one, I picked it up but I’m not that good. I could look around and see who would be good for your computer lab.”

“It’s more than a lab, I want the boys who are interested to be able to navigate and program. So I need someone who can do both.”

I don’t know where James finds these people, but I’m glad he does.

There is one thing that isn’t here and it’s a chapel. But with all of the various religions, maybe just a quiet place would do. That Pantry was pretty big, that would be ideal.

“Doc the chef is here to be interviewed.”\

“Welcome, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. du Val.”

“Please Dr. Blake, my name is Marcel, please call me by that.”

“I can do that if you call me Doc or Adam, I respond to both.”

We began the interview although for me it’s a chat. You can tell a lot about people without the formality of an interview. We must have chatted for 3 hours, James stuck his head and said he was leaving and will see me in the morning. I introduced Marcel to James before he left. “Marcel, I wouldn’t expect you to accept a job without seeing the kitchen”

We walked to the cafeteria and I saw Able painting the Oath. Marcel looked at the table set up, the mural of Camelot, and what was done on the Oath. Walking toward the end of the serving lines, he saw the snack machines. I noticed he took a particular interest in the selections in the machine, just then one of the boys came and selected one of the yogurts. I got a hug and slipped him a coin. Marcel looked at me. Walking into the kitchen I watched as he looked around. He asked if we had handwashing stations, I told him at the moment no but they are on order and should be here next week. He checked the refrigerators and freezers. He asked why we didn’t have deep fryers, I told him the food fried like that isn’t healthy. We use the ovens.”

 

He walked around a couple of times and smiled. Walking back to the office, “How much independence will I have.”

“That will depend, on what you want to do. We have a head cook who has been managing pretty well for the last few months. I offered her the chef’s position she turned it down.”

“Can I buy new equipment?”

“That depends, we do depend on tuition to provide funds. I would think any reasonable request would be honored. I would ask that you submit your request to me with the appropriate rationale. You only have to convince me, there is no committee.”

“Looking at the snacks they appear to be very healthy. Is that the type of food you prefer to be served?”

“Yes, they are young men who need to eat the right kind of foods, Their parents provide the cookies, we don’t. I encourage proper diet, and before you ask our biggest meal is at Noon. Breakfast between 7 and 8:30, dinner from 12 to 1, and then supper from 5 to 6. Supper is the lightest meal general soup and sandwiches. The students are allowed to eat as much as they want except they must eat what is on their plate.”

“And that works?”

“Yes”

“The salary for the position is dependent on years as a chef and recommendations.” I had already had an acceptance form ready for signature with the salary. “If this is acceptable, sign here.”

He looked and I saw his eyebrows go up when he saw the salary. The letter recommending him indicates a salary range, I offered the top of that range. I watched being the chef he would be eligible for rooms. “When would I start?”

“Tomorrow”

I knew he couldn’t start tomorrow but he got the point. He signed the offer, I had my Chef. “I can start this Monday a week.”

“That would be fine, we’ll have your rooms available by then.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 19
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A French chef classy.There used to be a cooking show called The French Chef.

What did one have to do to become a Trustee before? Whatever it was it was sure inadequate

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Well now, it looks like all of the dominos are starting to fall into place!!

Now for the legal issues to resolve themselves!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, weinerdog said:

A French chef classy.There used to be a cooking show called The French Chef.

What did one have to do to become a Trustee before? Whatever it was it was sure inadequate

I think they were appointed probably by someone who knew them as friends

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Kev said:

Ummm chef... good cooking... I cold use one of those, then maybe all of my meals wouldn't come from the freezer. I am loving how Adam is encouraging all of the boys, even when they are not academy boys. He sure is a special man. James is walking in his shoes, I sort of feel that there is more to James than meets the eye, and we have not seen the best of him yet.

It will be interesting to see how the boys react when the ambassador and the other owners visit. I think that they will see the Knights in action... At the end of the day the school is theirs, it doesn't matter who the owners are... The real owners are the Knights and their king. 

I think you are right. It is to Adam’ s credit the boys will support him.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Well now, it looks like all of the dominos are starting to fall into place!!

Now for the legal issues to resolve themselves!!

It appears that we are seeing results. Now we need one more piece, fire the trustees 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter so all important positions have been filled, now just the legal course needs to be fought up on the delinquents 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter so all important positions have been filled, now just the legal course needs to be fought up on the delinquents 

yes, now to focus on going after those who stole money 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Important jobs filled. Now the trustees need to be dealt with.

yes, I think the Ambassador and other owners have a job to do

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..