Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,150 Words
  • 2,056 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 141. Chapter 141

Our cabin family has grown, James, Annie, and little Annie are frequent visitors now, our chefs and their families, and now staff from the College and Academy are coming. I had Dad hire the local people to build lodges on the property I’m buying. It seems soon I’ll own the whole mountain.\

I always knew that the friendships among the boys would last a lifetime. I didn’t think I’d also have friends due to my time at Knights Academy and now Kings College. These friendships have been a blessing. They had supported me, given me a boost when I needed it, and have come forth with ideas that continue to impress our benefactors, our students, and our facilities and staff.

As we were sitting on the porch with our coffees, “I don’t think Little Adam is going to be a football player.”

“Why do you say that?”

“He’s too little, and I don’t think he has the build as Buster, for example.”

“He still can play. Not all of the football players are built like the Tank.”

“The Tank, who is that, and where did you get that name?”

“Look at them playing. Who is the Tank, Buster plows right through.”

At the time, I thought I had nailed it, but it was a nickname and would never come true. I was wrong, and when he was playing in high school, he was called Tank. He carried that name through his college days and when he was playing pro-ball.

Upon returning to school, I met with the architects and decided to build wings on the college. Plans were drawn and presented to the Board. My English colleague approved the idea, “When you are in England, Adam, you will notice a lot of the large estates and schools have these ‘wings’ on them.”

“Adam, you’ll have to expand the dorms.”

“We can duplicate what we have now, only we don’t need a rec room under them. May have to enlarge the Dungeon.”

'Here, here, here.' “Thanks, gentlemen. Does that mean we should check out the Dungeon?” We adjourned the meeting, and the Board went to the Dungeon, except Richard and I. We went to the Lion’s Head pub at the Academy. This gave Richard a chance to be with his son.

I see Richard a lot outside of the schools. When I attend one of the King’s graduates as they come into their own, they have a ceremony or some festivity, and I am invited. So far, I have been to several governmental appointments, a few royal appointments, and several family receptions. I think what surprised me the most, a lot of the same people attended these affairs. One could come away with the belief that these families, in cooperation, controlled the fate of several countries, financially and politically. I knew about the back door, and now I saw it. Given these revelations, the development of friendship among the boys became critical to the continuance of these people. It wouldn’t surprise me that the school wasn’t designed for educational purposes but for the development of close, cooperative friendships.

I had a new understanding, why they didn’t care what had happened before I got there. Money never was the object. The object was to develop friends to carry on what their parents were doing.

With this knowledge, I now understood why the parents approved whole heartily of the Knights. It was another way of uniting the boys.

I was wondering how Gerry was going to fit into all of this when he plopped down in my lap. “Father, are you here or there.”

“I’m here, always for you.” He just snuggled into my chest. “Are you happy?”

“Yes, I still think about my dad and how proud he would be of us. He always said that no matter what happened, he would see that I had everything I would need. I didn’t pay that much attention to what he said; I figured he meant monetary needs until he was in the hospital. I was so afraid of losing him, and then you stepped into the picture. Do you think that was on purpose like something caused you to step up, as they say?”

“I don’t know. All I knew at the time, one of my boys was having a problem that I needed to address. I was angry, a little.”

“Do you believe things happen for a reason?”

“Sometimes, but I think situations are presented to us and how we address those situations is critical. Suppose the old regime was still in charge. How do you think they would have responded? It was fortunate they were gone. Was that a divine plan? I don’t know; I react to what is presented before me. I react based on my beliefs and personal experiences. I think you’ll do the same. Gerry, it was unfortunate your father died. I would’ve liked to have met him. But for me, I got to know him through his son. He had to be a kind and benevolent person to have a son like you.”

When I looked at Gerry, he had tears in his eyes. I put my arm around him and pulled him closer. This young man is going to need big shoulders for what he’ll be carrying in three years. For now, he’s my adopted son and needs to have fun and grow.

“What is this?”

“Marie, everyone needs a little time to sit on my lap. I’ll let you know when it’s your time.”

I got bopped on the head for that. Little Marie came and climbed up on Gerry’s lap. She kissed him on his cheek. He smiled, wrapped his arms around her, and pulled her into a hug. Gerry was her older brother. He would protect her. How children know these things is a mystery to me. She does the same with Thomas, Morgan, Pierre, and Amir. Of course, Little Adam had to get on Gerry’s lap as well. Now I was getting overloaded. I think Gerry realized that “Let’s go and see if we can feed the rabbits.”

That was it. All three went and got carrots. I think Mom buys them for the kids explicitly to let them feed the rabbits. They were off, and so were a few of the other boys. Marie and Adam got a horsey back ride to the field. Feeding the rabbits was hard for young kids. They had to sit still, and how many kids can sit still?

They were back in 30 minutes, “We didn’t see any rabbits, Father, so we left the carrots and came home.”

“That’s okay, Marie. They will find them when they get hungry.” Later Gerry told me they couldn’t sit still, The rabbits were in the bushes, and as soon as they were ready to come out, one of the kids would say something or turn.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 18
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love the friendships that the academy and college have formed Adam has gotten close to a lot of kids will there be a kid that will want to follow in Adam's footsteps?It is never too early to groom a successor of course that could be Little Adam (BTW there is a really old cartoon  going way back called Big World of Little Adam)

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I love the friendships that the academy and college have formed Adam has gotten close to a lot of kids will there be a kid that will want to follow in Adam's footsteps?It is never too early to groom a successor of course that could be Little Adam (BTW there is a really old cartoon  going way back called Big World of Little Adam)

I'll have to check out that cartoon.  I suppose when I finish this story I'll have to think about a successor.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

The friendships that have developed through the Academy and the College will last a lifetime. Adam must be proud that he's helped these friendships develop through the Knights and his other initiatives, like the weekends at the cabin.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

The friendships that have developed through the Academy and the College will last a lifetime. Adam must be proud that he's helped these friendships develop through the Knights and his other initiatives, like the weekends at the cabin.

I don't know if proud is the right word he certainly is pleased for the boys. Maybe proud is right but I don't see him strutting like a phony.  As Gerry says, his heart is warm 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Friendships last a lifetime when nurtured. The parents are definitely fostering the development of those lifelong friendships amongst the boys by trusting Adam to guide - "I react based on my beliefs and personal experiences." At the rate the mountain is being built up, there's going to be a village there before you know it - cabins, chalets, and now lodges. Next, I predict a castle will be built! 😉

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

Friendships last a lifetime when nurtured. The parents are definitely fostering the development of those lifelong friendships amongst the boys by trusting Adam to guide - "I react based on my beliefs and personal experiences." At the rate the mountain is being built up, there's going to be a village there before you know it - cabins, chalets, and now lodges. Next, I predict a castle will be built! 😉

There won't be a castle that would ruin the intent of a boys camp. Adam has a castle he can flee too, if necessary. I strongly believe that if we had more Adam's in this world, life would be better for every one. Maybe that is why I wrote this story. I'll check with my psychiatrist 😀

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Awesome that the boys are so close knit and the staff are made of the same mould it seems, the youngsters look up to their older brothers , and they in return look after the youngsters

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome that the boys are so close knit and the staff are made of the same mould it seems, the youngsters look up to their older brothers , and they in return look after the youngsters

Adam, through his Knights has created an atmosphere that is conducive to the boys supporting each other. They have lived a horrible existence under the old regime and  now that Adam has given them something every boy needs, a caring person and new experiences.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

An academy designed to develop networking between the future leaders... Love it!!! Little ones would never be able to sit still, I remember I caught a wild rabbit once that had been injured... Took it home and put it in the run that we had built, only for it to do the great escape at night and leave me as a little one in tears. Mum went out and got me a tame rabbit and 2 guinea pigs though and soon we had a litter of each as both rabbit and one of the GPs were about to drop... I ended up with the top of the garden full of homemade hutches and selling the little ones to all of the pet shops in the area. Happy memories.

Loving little Marie and Adam... :thankyou:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kev said:

An academy designed to develop networking between the future leaders... Love it!!! Little ones would never be able to sit still, I remember I caught a wild rabbit once that had been injured... Took it home and put it in the run that we had built, only for it to do the great escape at night and leave me as a little one in tears. Mum went out and got me a tame rabbit and 2 guinea pigs though and soon we had a litter of each as both rabbit and one of the GPs were about to drop... I ended up with the top of the garden full of homemade hutches and selling the little ones to all of the pet shops in the area. Happy memories.

Loving little Marie and Adam... :thankyou:

I THINK Adam knew they wouldn't sit still but it did keep them occupied for a few minutes

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

Such a simple concept, nurture and watch the seedlings grow into fine young men and women!

Yes, but like every thing worth while, it takes work and devotion to nurture your people

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..