Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,985 Words
  • 2,542 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 111. Chapter 111

That evening sitting around the fire, we didn’t have enough graham crackers for Smores but the boys toasted marshmallows. I should say they burned marshmallows. I watched as they had fun, “Are you happy?”

“Yes, love, I’m very happy. How was the clinic today?”

“It wasn’t good. Ann was in with the baby, he’s undernourished I’m afraid if it isn’t corrected soon, he’ll suffer in later life.”

“Why is he undernourished, Ann’s mother and dad own that diner, surely they could afford to feed the baby?”

“Ann says whenever she asks for anything, they tell her to get the father to pay.”

“Does she still say it was Billy?”

“No, she told me who it was after I showed her the DNA results, he’s a bully. She said when she asks him for money he threatens her.”

“Is his name on the birth certificate, because if it is the courts can make him pay?”

“No, that space is blank.”

“I would like to see the baby. Is that possible?”

“I’ll bring him and Ann here tomorrow.”

That evening as we were walking back to the cabin, “Billy, tomorrow Marie is going to bring Ann and her baby to the cabin. Marie says he a cute little guy but badly undernourished. Ann admits you aren’t the father and that guy you saw her kissing is, and apparently he’s a bully and wants nothing to do with Ann or the baby.”

“What’s going to happen to the baby? I’m sure Ann can talk care of herself, but a baby can’t.”

“You’re right. I’ll have to figure out something I can’t let a child starve to death because the father and the grandparents are acting so weird.”

I left Billy alone as he headed to his bedroom. I planted the seed and if I know Billy, he will stand up and be a man.

At 4:30 in the morning, the moose woke everyone up but didn’t get everyone up. Johnny and his group along with Billy made up my running companions. “Ok guys, you need to have a good warm-up because this morning we are going to run around the lake.”

At 5, we started at a slow pace, at the top of the hill, I kicked it up. When we got to Marie’s place, I kicked it up again, “Johnny where are you going?”

“I thought you were kidding and was going to head back.”

“Johnny, don’t stop, your muscles are loose but they will quickly tighten up, come on catch up.”

Running up to Billy, “When we get back to the cabin, bring me the Tiger Balm, someone’s leg muscles are going to hurt a little.”

I kicked it up as we passed Marie’s house and then kicked it up when we reached the creek at the southern end of the lake. Running through town and into the woods leading to the cabin, I started to reduce the pace. The last mile I used for the cool-down run. Arriving at the cabin, we began our cool-down exercises. I watched Johnny, he was in a little pain. Billy handed me the Tiger Balm.

“Johnny, lie on your stomach and I’ll massage your legs.”

I could feel the tension in his leg muscle, as I massage the muscle with the Tiger Balm, I could feel the muscle relaxing. “That feels good, sir.”

“When you are running never stop, run in place if you have to, but don’t stop. This isn’t too bad, I’ve seen worse.”

I continued to massage his leg muscles until they were relaxed. “Don’t fall asleep, because if you do, I’ll throw you in the lake.”

He got up and walked slowly to the lake where he joined the other boys. They teased him saying there was nothing wrong, he just wanted me to massage his legs.

“I went and took my shower and dressed for the day. Today someone was going to get a surprise. “Adam, Marie called and said she will be a little late because she had some shopping to do.” I knew what she was going to buy.

I was sitting on the porch, with a cup of coffee. Billy came and sat down beside me. “Adam, what's going to happen to the child?”

“I don’t know Billy, I can help but I can’t assume responsibility. I have too much on my plate with the school and Liechtenstein. I’ll make sure he’s fed and has clothes, but I can’t give him love.”

“What do you think Mom and Dad would say?”

“I don’t know, why? Are you thinking about helping out as well?”

“I’m not sure, I still have 2 years of college and the Olympic trials are coming up in the spring. I’ll be busy and won’t have the time to spend with him.”

“I understand Billy, it’s a daunting undertaking. You know Gram and Gramps will help all they can and I sure your mom and dad will also. But the decision is yours?”

“Will you think less of me if I don’t help?”

“No, Billy I won’t think less of you. I love you like a son and I’ll respect your decision. Nothing between us will change.”

I put my arm around his shoulders and hugged him. I knew Billy, he had a heart of gold and If I guessed right, he would rise to the challenge.

I went inside to get another cup of coffee. “Adam, where’s Billy?”

“He’s out on the porch and needs you right now.”

Pouring myself a cup of coffee, I heard a car approaching. “Hello, Ann. Ann this is my fiancé, Susanna. And who is this little guy?”

“His name is Bobby. Billy, I’m sorry for what I tried to do, I knew deep down that his father would never own up to his responsibilities and you were the best hope I had.”

“I understand Ann, It’s in the past, let’s agree to leave it there. Right now someone needs to have his diaper changed.”

Ann went to pick him up, but Billy beat her. He picked up the child and headed to the cabin. I watched as they entered, the kid was cute. But he definitely was undernourished. Marie took a jar of baby food, and heated it, and then fixed a bottle of formula. “Billy, I’ll feed him if you want.”

Billy looked at me like was I crazy. I watched as he began to feed Bobby. Looking at Susanna, “He’s a natural.”

Looking closer, she had tears in her eyes. Marie came over and stood in front of me. I pulled her into me with my arms around her waist, Lowering my head to her ears, “Want to bet Bobby is going to have a new daddy.” She just squeezed my hands.

When Bobby had finished his bottle, Billy didn’t want to lay him down for his nap.

Susanna went and sat beside him. The look that passed between them told a million truths. I knew that look, it was like Bill and Jennifer, Billy and Susanna would be married when they graduated. Watching them, I whispered to Marie, “Do you have the birth certificate?” She nodded yes.

“I need to call Bill and Jennifer, you need to talk to Ann. See if she has any other relatives where she could move and start over again.”

I was laughing as I told Bill he was going to be a grandfather. “No way, I told Billy if he messed around and got Susanna pregnant, I would kick him out of the house.”

“I don’t think you’ll kick him out of the house. Get in your car, you and Jen get up here and meet your new grandson.” He was going to say something but I hung up. Knowing Bill. not knowing would bring him here.

“Dad, there’s a helicopter approaching.”

“Get Anton to meet the helicopter.”

When I reached the area where the helicopter was going to land, all of the boys were there. Hans had Anton in his arms. Josef exited the helicopter and placed a small stool. When Anton, saw who the passenger was, he wanted down. Hans ran to the copter and held Anton while he hugged his grandmother. His grandmother said something to him and he pointed at me and Gerry. “Dad, she wants to know who was responsible for this.”

“Tell her”

I watched as Gerry approached Mrs. Muller, she recognized him and bowed her head. Gerry said something to her, she looked at him and there were tears in her eyes. “Gerry, let’s take them to the cabin. I’m sure Mrs. Muller will like a cup of tea and maybe a snack.”

Gerry said something and Hans led the way with Anton holding on to his grandmother's hand. Mom had heard the helicopter and without knowing who was coming put a pot on for tea. Walking into the cabin, Hans had Anton in his arms, that wasn’t unusual, but the one Anton was pulling seemed to baffle Mom for a second. Then she realized who this was, Immediately a chair was produced at the table, tea was poured and a piece of Mom’s apple pie was set before the grandmother. Anton was on a streak, as he told her all about the school, his friends, fishing, sleeping in the chalets, the rabbit, and the carrot. He started on making Smores, he just kept going. The grandmother was smiling through a thin film of tears. She said something to Gerry. Gerry responded, he got up from his chair and kissed her on the cheek. I showed her the pictures I took of Anton. She smiled and laughed a little. But I knew what was on her mind, she would have to leave him behind when she returned home. It is one thing for people with money or position to leave their child to the care of someone, they have done it all their lives, but not Mrs. Muller and Anton. They were all they had.

“Dad?”

“You can tell her she isn’t going home until Anton finished school and maybe not even then.”

“She is worried about her apartment.”

“She doesn’t need to worry about that, she is being moved to an apartment on the lake.”

Now the tears began to fall. Mom looked at me as if to say, what have you done. Anton hugged his grandmother and whispered in her ear. She smiled as she kissed his head. I left them talking as I went to find Marie and her current entourage.

“Ann’s mother’s sister lives on the East coast. She is a teacher, I have contacted her and she offered for Ann to move there.”

“Good one down and one to go.”

“Did you call Bill?”

“Yes, if I’m not mistaken those lights we see will be him.”

Bill may not have been happy but when Jennifer saw the baby, she fell in love with him. I let them to talk it out, Bill kept looking at me. I ignored him. Marie gave the birth certificate to Billy, he signed it where the father’s name would go. Jennifer was happy, Bill was a grouch, but I knew he would change. Billy and Scotty were arguing if he was going to be a runner or football player, my money was on the football player.

“Bill, I know we sprung this on you, but it was Billy and Susanna’s decision. If you need any help, you let me know.”

“Well, I may need help when we go on vacation, you can baby sit.”

“I’ll be my pleasure, and there’s the dinner whistle.”

I watched as Jen fed Bobby. Billy and Scotty were making funny faces. “Bill, you going back in the morning?”

“No, I’m going back tonight. I have a meeting tomorrow and can’t miss it now that I have an extra mouth to feed.”

“Take one of the boys with you in case you get tired.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 20
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Billy has risen to the challenge, just like Adam taught him. The baby will have a great life with Billy and Susanna as its parents. Great to see Antons Grandma.

Bobby may never know his real father but the father he will know will love him and guide him in his future, Billy has a heart and a good friend in Uncle Adam

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

There was so much good in this chapter done by so many people despite all that the one thing I can't stop thinking about is Ann's parents that's their grandson who has no fault in any of this and they are letting him be malnourished?That is evil.Billy bless his heart is stepping up above and beyond 

I don't know how any one could see a child let alone a baby suffer when they could help. Ann may not have realized that when she first named Billy as the father, she was prophetic 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

WTH??? "I left Billy alone as he headed to his bedroom. I planted the seed and if I know Billy, he will stand up and be a man." Billy has no responsibility here whatsoever and Adam even "planting the seed" - also known as pressuring a young man to even have to think about making a decision like that - is unjust. A new baby is a TON of responsibility and having 2 years left of college as well as the Olympic trials in front of him, as well as being attached to that conniving low life that tried to capture him into this in the first place is absolutely unconscionable. This is not being a man, if the baby were Billy's then yes, I would agree. This is coercing someone into making a hasty life changing decision just because they have a 'good heart'. Adam, you screwed up on this on and lost a bit of my respect! 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well Adam has been busy expanding his circle of love to give , and he has drawn bill into the mix, talk about becoming instant grandparents, 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

What would you do if you were in Adam's place.

I would've asked ALL the individuals involved first and foremost. The "new grandparents" weren't even consulted based on Bill's initial response. Adam taking on the responsibility personally is one thing, but assuming the responsibility for others is quite another. What happens when Ann decides to have unprotected sex again which produces another child, does Billy now have 2 children before he's even finished college? Adam needs to stop enabling others behaviors. While Child Services certainly isn't the greatest option, it is an option and has produced some magnificent and successful adults. For instance, Steve Jobs, John Lennon, Cher, Eddie Murphy, Colin Kaepernick, etc were all raised in the foster care system. Taking accountability for ones actions (Ann & baby daddy) is part of growing up. Paternity tests and courts are there for a reason. Again, now Billy is shackled to Ann for the rest of his life. How does that leave Susanna feeling and the future she and Billy might have had together? My guess is not to grand. Already established couples struggle enough with the responsibilities of a new born - Billy and Susanna haven't even had time to establish there own relationship yet. Sure, had everyone been consulted prior to broaching the subject and an agreement had by all this would be a different topic altogether and supported with cheer but for Adam just to lay this responsibility on Billy, who is at this point barely 20 years old, and then expect baby boy Bobby to be raised by Bill and Jennifer, who were not even consulted, is unconscionable. Again, this behavior was reckless and irresponsible on Adam's part - a knee jerk reaction without even considering others. The male prefrontal cortex doesn't fully develop until approximately 25 years of age. This is where complex cognitive processing takes place. Does one even begin to think Billy was mature enough to even make this decision in the first place??? I think NOT and for Adam to even broach the subject with him - being an educator that has a child's best interests at heart - is extremely disheartening. Again, Adam, you screwed up on this one and lost a bit of my respect and trust! While this is fiction and my comments may not be popular, they are accurate based on the facts of the matters at hand. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mikedup said:

Well Adam has been busy expanding his circle of love to give , and he has drawn bill into the mix, talk about becoming instant grandparents, 

Yes. but I think the new grandparents will be the child's Godsend

  • Like 3
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Chris L said:

I would've asked ALL the individuals involved first and foremost. The "new grandparents" weren't even consulted based on Bill's initial response. Adam taking on the responsibility personally is one thing, but assuming the responsibility for others is quite another. What happens when Ann decides to have unprotected sex again which produces another child, does Billy now have 2 children before he's even finished college? Adam needs to stop enabling others behaviors. While Child Services certainly isn't the greatest option, it is an option and has produced some magnificent and successful adults. For instance, Steve Jobs, John Lennon, Cher, Eddie Murphy, Colin Kaepernick, etc were all raised in the foster care system. Taking accountability for ones actions (Ann & baby daddy) is part of growing up. Paternity tests and courts are there for a reason. Again, now Billy is shackled to Ann for the rest of his life. How does that leave Susanna feeling and the future she and Billy might have had together? My guess is not to grand. Already established couples struggle enough with the responsibilities of a new born - Billy and Susanna haven't even had time to establish there own relationship yet. Sure, had everyone been consulted prior to broaching the subject and an agreement had by all this would be a different topic altogether and supported with cheer but for Adam just to lay this responsibility on Billy, who is at this point barely 20 years old, and then expect baby boy Bobby to be raised by Bill and Jennifer, who were not even consulted, is unconscionable. Again, this behavior was reckless and irresponsible on Adam's part - a knee jerk reaction without even considering others. The male prefrontal cortex doesn't fully develop until approximately 25 years of age. This is where complex cognitive processing takes place. Does one even begin to think Billy was mature enough to even make this decision in the first place??? I think NOT and for Adam to even broach the subject with him - being an educator that has a child's best interests at heart - is extremely disheartening. Again, Adam, you screwed up on this one and lost a bit of my respect and trust! While this is fiction and my comments may not be popular, they are accurate based on the facts of the matters at hand. 

You make a good defense of your position

  • Like 4
Link to comment

We've all heard of heroes; Superman, Batman, Aquaman etc (All my perfect men🥰) I think Adam is the Resolver, because wherever he goes he seems to have the answer to problems and is always able to resolve them. I love that Billy is a daddy, but I so want there to be a baby Adam.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Kev said:

We've all heard of heroes; Superman, Batman, Aquaman etc (All my perfect men🥰) I think Adam is the Resolver, because wherever he goes he seems to have the answer to problems and is always able to resolve them. I love that Billy is a daddy, but I so want there to be a baby Adam.

 

I never thought about Adam being a resolver, but you are right. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..