Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,153 Words
  • 1,853 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 164. Chapter 164

It was nine in the morning when a doctor came and told us that the Ambassador was awake and could go and see him.

By the time I got to the room, Richard was on one side, and his sister was on the other side. I stood at the end of the bed. He looked at me, "I know."

I nodded. Richard was hugging his dad and crying, and his sister was doing the same. A nurse came in. I asked if he could have coffee. She said yes. I left and returned with two cups of coffee. We always had our best talks over coffee.

Richard offered me his chair. I thought he would stand, nope he sat on my lap, leaned into me, held his dad's hands. "Richard, he needs his hand to drink his coffee."

"Adam, I knew you would be there for Richard."

"Richard, I'll always be there for my boys, that you can count on. But you are very special to the two children who are here. Now you need to get well and spend some time with your family. I know just the place. I'll have the plane fly you to Gerry's. He's worried about you also."

Richard was released from the hospital after a five-week stay. I had the plane fly him and his family to Gerry's. I knew they would make him comfortable there.

I never did find out what was the reason for the shooting. For some reason, the newspapers were very low-key, only mentioning that a shooting had occurred. That meant, at least to me, it was a secret meeting that someone didn't want to happen.

I went to Edward's funeral, and I hoped I'll never have to attend another funeral for one of my boys. As I looked upon Edward, all the memories of his school days returned, including his fishing at the cabin. His parents were very kind to me, showing me Richard's record of his moments at the Academy and Kings College. I notice Edward had his Knights of the Square Table pin on. I'm not ashamed to say I silently cried. This was not fair.

On returning home, I closed the schools for one day, in memory of Edward. During that day, I spoke to the students about how we never know when we'll be called, and in that light, we should live an honorable life. I talked about Edward, his achievements, and of course, my recollection of his time at the school. Some of the boys remembered him and told antidotes about him.

School resumed, but in my heart, Edward never left. Every day, I thought about him, remembering some facet of his life at school and the cabin. Gerry and I talked about him. Gerry relived some of his antidotes about him. We consoled each other.

To think that I would not be faced with death among my students was foolish. Life doesn't work that way. Before my death, I knew the odds of having to face another set of parents or family were not in my favor.

Gerry said the Ambassador was doing fine and wanted to go home and back to work. I asked him to make sure the doctor approves, and I'll send the plane for him.

Life on the outside returned to normal, but it would never be normal for me on the inside.

The girls' school occupied much of my time. Marie said I was fanatical about it. In truth, I buried myself in that project to avoid my inner thoughts. No matter how I tried, I couldn't get Edward out of my mind.

"Gerry, I need help. I can't get Edward out of my mind. I look at the boys and ask myself who's next."

"Father, you need to come and see me. I know someone who can help you. He has helped me, and he'll help you."

When I told Marie I was going to Gerry's, I need help with getting over Edward's death. She was glad I was doing something about this mental anguished I was going through.

Landing at Liechtenstein, Hans was there to meet me. Seeing Gerry for me was a relief. I cried. I wasn't in a good mental state.

"Come with me, and there is someone here who will join us, and then maybe we can talk."

Walking into the family room, there was Richard. "I asked Richard to come, and maybe if we all talk about this and what it means, we can help you, Father."

We did talk. We talked through the night and all the next day. It didn't do much for me except to know that someone else was feeling the sorrow. Richard said he was responsible for Edward's death, and he would have to carry that with him for the rest of his life. It was his burden to bear.

Richard said that Edward gave his life to save his. The gunman was hired to kill Richard. Edward fought with him, the gun went off, killing Edward and wounding Richard. Listening to Richard telling me this, I realized that the burden Richard must carry is more than I could imagine. I felt ashamed that I was complaining of my burden when Richards was carrying a lot more.

That night as I was trying to sleep, Dad came to me for the first time since Gerry got married. He had Edward with him. Edward was smiling. His words were simple, 'let it go, it was meant to happen, it was my time.'

When I woke up, I remembered, 'when it's your time, I'll come for you. Rejoice in the love I have for you.' I don't know where I read that, but it was there in my mind as if someone put it there. Why did I remember it now?

I told Gerry about it. "Father, it sounds like someone is giving you an explanation of Edward's death. Maybe it was his time. We are told that we shall not know our time and must act as it could be anytime."

"I hope none of my boys' time is up before mine. I'm not sure I could handle it. I'm having such a hard time with Edward's."

"You will for each one of us while you are alive. We aren't your students. In your mind, we are your sons. You treat us as we are your sons, you called us sons, and we called you dad. That relationship will always bring pain at times."

Gerry was right; I did look upon the boys as my sons. Like any father, I wanted the best for them, a good education, and fun when learning.

"How many school Presidents would pay with their own money for what you have provided. Buses, so they can go fishing and weekend breaks at your cabin. Many teachers are glad to be away from their students, not take them with them when they have the opportunity to take a break. How many teachers or school administrators fight for their students like you did? I dare you to find one. Adam, you may think you were just a teacher, but you filled a vacancy, that of a parent, to the boys. You even went and adopted those of us who didn't have parents. How many people would do that."

"And don't forget that the boys remember what you did with the dining hall, the kitchens, the camaraderie you created with the Knights, and the enforcement of the idea through the paintings and Oath. You gave more than an education. You molded your students into fine examples of honest men. You'll always hurt when one of your boys are hurt or come to the end of their time. As Gerry said, you looked upon them as your sons, and like most fathers, you have pride in them, you'll laugh with them, and you'll cry with them. I'm a father, and I do the same thing. If something happened to Richard, I'd probably need serious help. He's everything to me, and I know he's everything to you as well. I hadn't forgotten how he looked to you for comfort when I was in the hospital. It was your lap he sat on, and my daughter said he sat on it all night the night when you came to the hospital."

After spending a week with Gerry and Richard, I felt better. I'll never forget Edward, but I'll accept that he is in better hands and is happy.

Arriving home, Marie gave me a big hug and kiss. I smiled, "You are back. I owe Gerry a big thank you for bringing my husband back. Tell me about it."

"I will later. Right now, I have three people I must see and hug." The children were with Marie when I arrived home. I grabbed little Marie and hugged her with all of my love in it. I kissed her cheek and whispered, I love you. Then I grabbed Adam. He hugged me and whispered, "I love you, Dad" those were magic words to me. Finally, I caught Franz and hugged him as I kissed his cheek. I love my children and my wife. I'd make sure I always put them first as I take care of my students. Love is infinite, and I had enough for everyone.

I guess it took three days to get back in the swing of things. I knew that when James said, "Welcome back."

"Let's go and have a cup of coffee."

"Now I know you are back.”

I spent a lot of my time among the students both at the Academy and King’s College. I mingle with them at the Pub and the Dungeon. When I looked at them, I realized what Gerry said was true. I did look at them as my sons.

I notified my adopted boys that I wanted to have a vacation with them. I missed them and thought we should meet and establish times that we can get together. They were all for that.

“Marie, I was thinking of times when we could all get together. What are your suggestions?”

“I take it you mean our immediate family and our extended family.”

“Yes, I don’t want to lose contact with them. I want to establish the same relationship with them that we have with Gerry. I want us to be an active part of their life.”

“Okay, the holidays seem obvious how about once a month. Certainly, the fair would be one, it is only three days, but we can extend it by going to the cabin.”

“I’ll ask them what they think and maybe get them also to suggest times. I like this idea.”

Over the next few weeks, I sent letters to my boys suggesting the get-togethers. They were all for it. I had James keep track of their comments. He brought a calendar in with the days the boys suggested. I was amazed at the number of days they wanted to meet.

“James, have you shown this calendar to the boys?”

“Yes, and they all agreed to the calendar. I think Pierre suggested we meet at each of the boys’ homes as well as here. They all seem quite excited about it.”

“That is great. Let’s plan on it. When is the first day?”

“Thanksgiving, and Gerry wants to host.”

“Great, let the boys know, and if they need transportation, I’ll send the plane.”

When I told Marie, she just smiled, “Do you remember when we were dating, we talked about the number of children you wanted?”

“Yes, I wanted a lot, but you said no, just two. A girl for me and a boy for you, only Marie was really for you, and Adam was for me. I’m glad about that. I get to spoil a beautiful girl and at the same time enjoy my son in the manly things of life.”

Marie laughed, “Sometimes I think you have slipped a cog but look, you have seven boys and one girl. I’m not sure that is all you’ll have before we retire.”

“Yes, and I would adopt every boy here if needed be, and who knows how many girls if their guardians also ignore them.”

“You have boys here now who have a guardian, and you don’t want to adopt them?”

“I don’t have to as long as the guardians give them love and have a solid relationship with the boys. The boys I adopted hardly made contact with their guardians. They were in it for the money. If that occurred again among any of the boys, I would do it again.”

The outside walls of the girls’ school were finished, the inside work would continue over the winter as weather permitted. Henry said he was on schedule and had a surprise for me, but I would have to wait until he finished the school.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 20
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This chapter brought back so many memories. Molder of Dreams by Guy Rice Doud reminded me of the Adam's I grew up with - loving unconditionally and infinitely. Footprints in the Sand reminded me of Adam's low point when Gerry and Richard stepped up and carried him when he could go not further. How true it is to commiserate with others in similar situations to put in perspective the magnitude of your grief in respect to others. Only when Adam realized the burden that Richard had to carry did he move his focus from self and the natural instinct of helping others kicked in so that he could begin helping himself. Why is it that we often want to take care of the world and, when we need the help of the world the most, we're stubborn as a damn mule about accepting it? 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

No greater love may man have, that he lay down his life for his brother.

Rest in peace Edward, may you sit amongst the angels.

angels GIF

 

There is nothing I can add to that comment. It sums up the chapter

  • Like 5
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Chris L said:

This chapter brought back so many memories. Molder of Dreams by Guy Rice Doud reminded me of the Adam's I grew up with - loving unconditionally and infinitely. Footprints in the Sand reminded me of Adam's low point when Gerry and Richard stepped up and carried him when he could go not further. How true it is to commiserate with others in similar situations to put in perspective the magnitude of your grief in respect to others. Only when Adam realized the burden that Richard had to carry did he move his focus from self and the natural instinct of helping others kicked in so that he could begin helping himself. Why is it that we often want to take care of the world and, when we need the help of the world the most, we're stubborn as a damn mule about accepting it? 

Grief is a very personal burden and many times we think we feel it more than others.  Only when we understand that our burden is shared do we get focused. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I haven't commented in some time, but I continue to read and enjoy this story! Adam's life is so full of wonderful people, fun adventures, some drama and sadness, and a big bunch of awesome students! I think his academies and college are the dream of many teachers. I don't know how long this story will continue, but you don't have to be in a rush to wrap it up! Thanks. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

This was so sad  but it's reality.

Hey I didn't give this it's just due this is now the longest  story on GA ever and every bit of it quality no fillers

:heart:🥳:D🎊🎉🎆🥂🎶

THANK YOU. Yes it is reality and that is sad when we realize everyone has the ups and downs in their life.  That is why we should offer our shoulder when they are down and a slap on the back washed they are up.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JeffreyL said:

I haven't commented in some time, but I continue to read and enjoy this story! Adam's life is so full of wonderful people, fun adventures, some drama and sadness, and a big bunch of awesome students! I think his academies and college are the dream of many teachers. I don't know how long this story will continue, but you don't have to be in a rush to wrap it up! Thanks. 

IF I had the power, every school would be designed by Adam and all of the teachers would be required to read his book.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Hail to the hero... Edward was the hero, but only being the man that Adam had taught him to be in all that he ever did with the boys. Nice to see that Edward joins the angels working with Gerry's father in protecting those the boys and and Adam. 

So sad... but loving this epic story.:2thumbs::thankyou:

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It is a reality of life that we are all given a "use by date "  we just don't know what the end date is , there is that awesome saying "live each day as if it were your last because one day it will be" I hope that they all love each other for well into the future

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..