Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,676 Words
  • 44,647 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 9. Chapter 9

Lunch was fun as I would question Billy about his book. When we returned to the hotel room, he was back on the sofa. “Billy, I need to meet with another student. You can come along or stay here.”

“Can I bring my book?”

“Sure, you might like this student as well, it’s a pretty girl.”

He didn’t seem too excited but we’ll see. I drove to Ellen’s home, she was having problems with math.

“Hello Ellen, I brought a friend with me if that’s ok? His name is Billy and he’s the son of a close friend of mine.”

They looked at each other, nodded heads. I noticed a second look by both of them when the other one wasn’t looking. This will be an interesting meeting.

“Ellen, do you have your math book?”

She left and brought back her book, opened it to the chapter, and list of problems. The class was an introduction to algebra. I had her write down the problem, “Ellen there are certain rules you need to know and remember. Think of the equal sign as a bridge, and that on each side of the bridge there’s an army. If one army has more than the other army, that side wins and will destroy the bridge which you need to get home. So we’ll have to make sure each side of the bridge is equal.”

“What do I do when they are expressed as X and Y?”

“Remember the army supporters for X is 3 more than the number of supporters for army Y. But you don’t know the number of supporters Y has so you need to know that equation. So let’s say the number of supporters for Y is 4. Now you can solve for X.”

I watched as she wrote the equation X+Y= ?. I gave her; X=3 and Y=4, so the solution is 3 + 4 = 7. The key was to substitute the correct value for the unknowns, in this case, the X and Y.

“Good, remember for each unknown you need an equation showing the relationship. Let’s say that another army will call Z approached the bridge, how many equations would you need?”

“You would need, one for X, one for Y, and one for Z”

"Right, you also need to know how they relate to each other. Let’s say you have three cousins, each one is from different parents. You’ll want to know who their parents are and how they relate to each other. Got it?”

“I think so.”

“Why don’t you work these problems while I’m here, If you have a problem I’ll be here to help you.”

“Can I do the problems as well?”

“Sure go for it. Who finishes first and has the most correct answer will get a slice of pizza. But if you rush and get one wrong, you’ll have to correct it and it’ll count against your time. The goal is to get them all correct.”

I heard Billy whisper to Ellen, “Don’t worry we both will get pizza.”

I watched them as they worked. Billy finished first but Ellen wasn’t too far behind. “You both did well so Billy since you finish first, you get to choose the type of pizza.”

Billy whispered to Ellen, she shook her head yes.

“Adam, can we have extra cheese with pepperoni?”

“Yes,” I ordered the pizza to be delivered to Ellen’s home.

While we waited for the pizza, Billy and Ellen sat together and talked. I looked at my schedule and noted that I was free for a few days. Ellen’s mom came in and offered me a cup of coffee which I took. Walking to the kitchen she asked about Billy. I explained that he was a son of a close friend and I was babysitting while he was at a meeting.

“How is Ellen’s math?”

“She’s ok. It’s a little frightening to face algebra but she’ll be ok. Not all the problems are written in the same fashion, if she has problems, I’ll be back unless her teacher does the job.”

“Why do you teach differently? Ellen says you always make a story out of it.”

“Some kids learn differently than others, I’m one on one, many teachers don’t have that luxury. They have so much time to get the lesson across and then they must move on. Those that don’t understand, get left behind. They are not dumb, as some may think, it is just that the material isn’t made relevant to them. Take Billy, for example, this morning I was helping a student understanding the Indian wars. Billy was there, he wanted to know more and I bought him two books, his nose has been in one of those books until we came here. They just need a push.”

“And you can do that.”

“I try. If I had my way, school hours would be longer, homework would be less and subjects would be more interesting. It won’t happen in the public school system but might in a private setting.”

“Adam, the pizza is here.”

“I promised them pizza for a job well done. Incentives are ok, once in a while.”

I went and paid for the pizza, which Ellen took to the kitchen. I heard her introduce Billy to her mother.

By the time I returned to the kitchen, plates were on the table. Ellen asked Billy if he wanted a soda, he looked at me, I mouthed the word running, he asked for a glass of water instead. I smiled when he looked at me. I turned down the pizza when it was offered and I think Billy was glad I did. I had another cup of coffee while I waited for Billy to finish his pizza.

Saying our goodbyes, I told Ellen if she need help to let me know.

On the way home, “Adam, do you charge for your tutoring?”

“No, it’s a pleasure to see someone’s face light up when the fog has been lifted. Like you and your books.”

He looked at me and smiled. Arriving at the hotel, we saw Billy pulling into the parking lot. “There’s your dad.”

“We walked over to meet him as he was getting out of his car. Billy hugged his dad and I got the impression that didn’t happen often. “Dad, what did you have for lunch today?”

“Hey, I just got here and already the 6th degree. I had a chef’s salad. What did you have?”

“We had baked fish with a vegetable medley. Adam asked them to not use any sauces. It was good, I think I’ll get mom to prepare them that way.”

Alright, Adam, what did you do with my son?”

I laughed and wink at Billy, he took his dad’s briefcase and headed to their room. Once he was out of earshot, “Did you have any problems?”

“Only one, I couldn’t get him to put down the book he was reading. He even had it with him when we went to lunch.”

“Now I know that isn’t my son, what did you do to him.”

“Seriously Billy, he’s a smart kid and that may be a part of his problem. He isn’t being challenged and he feels rushed. If I had the opportunity, I’d love to work with him.”

“What would it take for you to work with him, relocation?”

“Yes, unless you left him with me, but relocation won’t happen until I’m sure my special students are on track. We’re getting there but it’ll take a while. The school wants me to teach my methods to students aspiring to be teachers.”

“Do you think you can do it online?”

“I don’t know. I’ll look into that.”

“This weekend someone will be coming who wants to meet you.”

“Who?”

“You’ll have to wait to see.”

By this time we reached his room. “Want to have dinner with us?”

“I’m not sure Billy will want to eat this early, he just put away a half of a large pizza.”

“Billy, you read for supper?”

“Can we wait for a little Dad? I want to finish this chapter.”

“He’s reading a book?” I nodded yes, “Are you sure that’s my Billy?”

Billy heard and chuckled, “Yes Dad, it’s me and I’m reading a book.”

Whispering to me, “You’re a magician.”

Bill and I chatted while we waited for Billy to go and eat. “So after all these years, you start to call be Bill.”

“It’s too confusing with two Billy’s, so you being older, you get the name of Bill. But to me, you’ll always be my best friend, Billy.”

He hugged me and ended with a swat on the back of my head. I couldn’t count the number of times he hit me on the back of my head.

“I was worried about Billy and I confess one of the reasons I brought him was so you could meet him and help him. He means the world to me and I don’t want his school time to be missed. I see something in his eyes today that I haven’t seen for a while. I owe you.”

“No Bill, you don’t owe me anything. Billy is paying me for my time, not you. Look at him, he’s involved with that book and the other one, he’ll be as well.”

“What other one?”

“He bought two books today, ask him about it. You’ll be surprised. Don’t be afraid to talk to your son. You and I were great runners when we were his age, get back to it and share that time. You can help him more than I can because he loves you and will give that little extra.”

Bill left and went to his bathroom. When he came back his eyes were red. “Are you ok Dad?”

“Yes, I think a bug flew into my eye and irritated it. Ready for supper?”

“Yes, can I take my book?”

“Sure, maybe you can tell me about it.”

I smiled looking at Bill. Gave him a nod and a wink.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 19
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's amazing how this story is coinciding with graduations around the world right now. Tomorrow, a young mans investment in himself will be celebrated. Just like Adam, so many have invested and supported to get the Billy's of the world to this point. A celebration to all and a toast of good cheer for their accomplishments! ❤️

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, weinerdog said:

AHHH!!!!!! You put Algebra in this chapter It brought flashbacks LOL.Actually if it was taught like this I think I would have gotten it sooner.

Algebra, for some reason, is feared by most students. With the right teacher, it can be fun.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, empresslovesreading said:

I was never going to get Algebra but I'm sure my teachers would have appreciated it if I hadn't kept falling asleep in class. God I hate math.

How could anyone hate math? We use it all of the time.  Now if x represented straight boys and y represented gay boys, you might have enjoyed it if the equation, when solved, gave the gay boys an edge. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Philippe said:

😝 I love this storyline, as I’ve always had a similar approach. My neighbor boy came over to help me work on my old rusty trailer. The lugs were left installed too long without rotating tires or packing the wheel bearings; lugs that long installed would be harder to break free, maybe 400+ Ft-lbs torque on seized nuts.

He is almost 12yo and weighs 76# and yet a 4-way lug wrench only provides a one foot torque lever; giving us 1ftx76lbs=76 young man ft-lbs.

Explaining that the lugs would require possibly up to around 400ft-lbs torgue, I asked him what length pull handle would give him the 400ft-lbs if he stood on it or applied his full weight. So 400ft-lbs (torque required)= X foot (lever length required) x 76lbs (his full weight); he thought and approximated near a 6 foot pull handle. I handed him a fence post pipe and asked him to loosen the lugs while I rounded up grease and cleaning supplies. I really just wanted him to see that he had that ability and my trust in his math. I was still close enough as a safety observer but let him see his algebra applied. He told me he didn’t understand algebra yet as they only had covered an introduction in school. I then asked him what he called his problem solving??? I said I call it algebra! Hahaha 🤪

I love the lights coming on in the minds and eyes of our youth.

Yes, when they accomplish something they previous thought you couldn't do it. Applying mathmatetics to real life situations brings home the importance of math in our everyday lives. Good job. a real Adam.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, empresslovesreading said:

I call that hell. I need to go empty my mind now.

Read my next chapter, that might help you to cleanse your non-mathmatic mind

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Chris L said:

It's amazing how this story is coinciding with graduations around the world right now. Tomorrow, a young mans investment in himself will be celebrated. Just like Adam, so many have invested and supported to get the Billy's of the world to this point. A celebration to all and a toast of good cheer for their accomplishments! ❤️

It was not my intent to publish this story to coincide with graduations, But maybe fate had a hand in it.  I'm a believer in education, unfortunately many look at education as secondary and not a primary concern. We don't invest enough in education. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I think you know me too much... My favourite subject was algebra, though over here its part of the overall maths subject and doesn't get enough exposure during the class time. Our final exam was all algebra and geometry and most of us failed it because of the failure of the learning structure... wish I had know Adam then as I went to sixth form to finally get the gist of it and on track to the career that I wanted.

Next favourite subject was history, but we never studied American history but my favourite period was the Tutors. By that time my mam had died, but I would have loved going round all of the palaces and homes soaking up the history of the places... She would have laughed as I almost got stuck when they let me try to get into a priest hole that was hidden in one of the walls. It's hard to believe that they had to hide in those places to escape being executed for their beliefs, those places were sooooo small.

Still in love with Adam:kiss: 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter so another lost child is helped Billy is going to have quite an influence on some people

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Kev said:

I think you know me too much... My favourite subject was algebra, though over here its part of the overall maths subject and doesn't get enough exposure during the class time. Our final exam was all algebra and geometry and most of us failed it because of the failure of the learning structure... wish I had know Adam then as I went to sixth form to finally get the gist of it and on track to the career that I wanted.

Next favourite subject was history, but we never studied American history but my favourite period was the Tutors. By that time my mam had died, but I would have loved going round all of the palaces and homes soaking up the history of the places... She would have laughed as I almost got stuck when they let me try to get into a priest hole that was hidden in one of the walls. It's hard to believe that they had to hide in those places to escape being executed for their beliefs, those places were sooooo small.

Still in love with Adam:kiss: 

I have read about the "Priest Holes" but never understood why they were needed.  One of these day you can explain the history of those 'holes' or recommend a reading.

I loved math and did well, I tutored a lot of my fellow class mates over lunch. They wanted to copy my home work, that led me to doing the tutoring

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter so another lost child is helped Billy is going to have quite an influence on some people

 

Yes, he will. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Kev

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I have read about the "Priest Holes" but never understood why they were needed.  One of these day you can explain the history of those 'holes' or recommend a reading.

I loved math and did well, I tutored a lot of my fellow class mates over lunch. They wanted to copy my home work, that led me to doing the tutoring

Priest Holes came about because when Henry the Eighth created the 'Church of England', then Mary took it to catholic and Elizabeth swung the other way again... By that time it was high treason for a catholic priest to even enter England but the Jesuits came to support the families and in return they gave the priest shelter and a place to hide. They created these spaces in their houses and palaces (often in the fireplace) to hide the priest (about 1540 -50).  

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Kev said:

Priest Holes came about because when Henry the Eighth created the 'Church of England', then Mary took it to catholic and Elizabeth swung the other way again... By that time it was high treason for a catholic priest to even enter England but the Jesuits came to support the families and in return they gave the priest shelter and a place to hide. They created these spaces in their houses and palaces (often in the fireplace) to hide the priest (about 1540 -50).  

It's wonder the priests hiding in or near a fireplace didn't burn.  I imagine it could be quite hot there.   Those Jesuits were brave men.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I keep remembering my 9th grade Algebra teacher, Mrs. Luchini.  
 

Every morning she would be at school an hour early and anyone who had problems with the homework could come in for tutoring, even if you had a different math teacher!  Her classroom was usually 75-95% filled every morning at 7:30 am.  I was one of her regulars.  I finally got it enough to go on to the next classes.

She even called me on a Sunday to tell me when my grades went to an A!  
 

She was one in a million.

We found out that she lived near our high school and several of us would visit her regularly, at least until we left for college.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

I keep remembering my 9th grade Algebra teacher, Mrs. Luchini.  
 

Every morning she would be at school an hour early and anyone who had problems with the homework could come in for tutoring, even if you had a different math teacher!  Her classroom was usually 75-95% filled every morning at 7:30 am.  I was one of her regulars.  I finally got it enough to go on to the next classes.

She even called me on a Sunday to tell me when my grades went to an A!  
 

She was one in a million.

We found out that she lived near our high school and several of us would visit her regularly, at least until we left for college.

That was a devoted teacher. I bet Adam read out her.  You are one of the lucky ones. For your story I'll bet there are at least 100 who had the opposite experience 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am reading to catch up, and I was about to mention my confusion with Billy and Billy. Imagine my pleasant surprise when Adam has the same problem and solves it! Hooray and thanks! I am enjoying this story, and part of the reason is my being a retired teacher. There is nothing that compares to seeing the light come on when a child "gets it!" Thanks. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

I am reading to catch up, and I was about to mention my confusion with Billy and Billy. Imagine my pleasant surprise when Adam has the same problem and solves it! Hooray and thanks! I am enjoying this story, and part of the reason is my being a retired teacher. There is nothing that compares to seeing the light come on when a child "gets it!" Thanks. 

Adam is a renegade among some teachers and if you follow the story I think you will like it.  It's a long story, one of my longest.  My hat is off to you and all teachers, you had held the future in your hands.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

A great chapter, while I struggled with Algebra, Geometry was worse until...I had to use both in 'real' life, then it came sooo easy!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

A great chapter, while I struggled with Algebra, Geometry was worse until...I had to use both in 'real' life, then it came sooo easy!!!!

Its always seems that way. It's a pain until you need it and it's like an eye opener

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..