Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,756 Words
  • 2,067 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 105. Chapter 105

“Hans, do we still have that property that overlooks the lake?”

“Yes my Prince”

“I think that property would make a good retiree community for the State”s pensioners. Have someone look into it and get me an idea of a timetable.”

“There’s a building next to that property, that could be easily converted to apartments.”

“Great, let’s do it. Make sure Frau Muller gets the first choice.”

“You may leave Herr Weber, greed has no place in my Kingdom.”

I went and had a cup of coffee. When I walked into the Palace kitchen, there was a mad rush, people bowing their heads. “I wonder if I may have a cup of coffee?”

One of the cook’s helpers said something in German, I caught the word coffee. Soon a very pretty young lady brought me a cup of coffee. I took it and sat at the table. They didn’t know what to do. I signal for the young girl who spoke some English, to sit with me. “How many of the young people here go to school?”

“None of us my Prince, when we finish 12 years, we go to learn a trade. My mother is a cook here and so I also will be a cook here.”

“If you had the chance to go to school would you go?”

“I don’t know what I’d do. I enjoy working in the kitchen.”

“I’ll send you some cookbooks maybe you will try something new when I’m here the next time.”

After finishing my coffee, I thank the cooking staff and left.

I met Hans, “What have you been up to my Prince.”

“I just had a coffee in the kitchen and a nice chat with a pretty young lady. I told her I would send her some cookbooks, she wants to be a cook like her mother.”

As always the teacher, I thought of trade schools, maybe on my next trip.

“My Prince, Frau Weber has asked to see you”

“Show her into the sitting room”

I went and got Marie, “Come with me and watch.”

“Frau Weber, how may I be of some assistance.”

“My Prince, my stupid husband did a terrible thing. We can’t pay our tax levy.”

“Hans, bring me the tax file for Herr Weber.”

“My Prince, I am embarrassed with the actions of my husband. Sometimes he doesn’t think.”

Hans handed me the ledger, I quickly scanned the numbers and noted that he paid his taxes on time and they hadn’t increased in the last ten years.

“Frau Weber, if your husband corrects his mistakes, I'll consider reversing that decision, he'll have to pay the courts and I will impose a fine. My Minister of Finance will contact you later this week. I hope your husband has learned his lesson. I have no problem with people making money as long as it is done justly. Selecting the widows and widowers who get a government pension, is pure greed. If he tries to do it again, he’ll be in the cells below the Palace.”

Hans took the woman and led her out of the Palace. “Minister, what do you think will happen?”

“I’m not sure my Prince, but I’m sure I do not want to be Herr Weber.”

“Josef, where are the children?”

“They are having dinner, my Prince.”

I took Marie’s hand and walked to the small family dining room. Sitting next to Gunther, “I’m flying to the United States tonight. Josef will take you home and the next time I’m here, I’ll see you again. I want you to study hard.”

I kissed each child on the cheek and slipped them a coin. They smiled and then Anna got up and gave me a hug and a kiss on my cheek.

They brought Marie’s luggage, mine always stayed at the Palace. “Hans, we need to stop and pick up Anton and then head for the airport. The sooner we leave, the sooner we get home.”

Boarding the plane, I looked out over the city, the children were there as well as Frau Muller. “Marie, this is a beautiful place.”

We took our seats, Hans shut the door, and we were off. Marie sat next to Anton and held him. Hans said something, he smiled and nodded his head yes. Once we reached altitude, Hans served a light supper.

I relaxed and fell asleep. I hope Gerry will agree with what I did.

I felt someone touching my arm, I woke up and saw Anton sitting by me. Marie was asleep. I looked at Hans, “Ask him if he is ok and needs anything. He didn’t eat much he may be a little hungry.”

I watched as Hans asked him if he was hungry. He looked at me, I nodded. He answered Hans.

“He said he didn’t have a big dinner, he was too excited.”

Hans went to the galley and pulled a tray from the trolley. He fixed the seat table, set the tray down. When he lifted the cover, there were several pieces of fruit, a sandwich, and a carton of milk. Hans said something to him, he thanked me in German, at least that is what I assumed he said. I watched as he ate, he took small bites, chewed his food well. When he was finished Hans brought him a dish of ice cream.

Hans took his tray away, I put my arm around his shoulder and pulled him into my side. I smiled at him, kissed his head. Anton sat like that, without moving, for the rest of the plane ride.

Landing at the heliport, Hans departed and arrange for the luggage to be moved. No sooner had the stairs were let down, than a young man was in my lap. I gave him a hug, a kiss on the cheek as well. Anton and Gerry began to chat. I had Gerry on my lap and my arm around Anton. Marie just looked and smiled.

“Boys, I think we need to leave. Marie, come with us and if all is ok, I’ll drive you home this weekend. You need to say hello to your uncle and help with this young man.”

The plane ride was something for Anton but the helicopter was something else. He sat on my lap the whole way. He wasn’t leaving.

Arriving at the Academy, there were all of my Knights. I had to hug each one. I was so proud of these guys. Hans carried Anton, the boys already knew about him, they came and hugged him. Gerry led the boys to the Dining Hall, breakfast of course.

As I entered the Knights pounded on the table, three times. “I salute you, my Knights, I am back to serve you.”

Lawrence took Anton and carries him through the line, pointing out the different foods. Johnny took a tray and as Anton pointed to something it went onto his tray. Johnny sat the tray next to him and Anthony. Lawrence brought Anton and sat him down. Johnny whispered something to him. He sat there with his hands in his lap. That was when he noticed Camelot. His eyes got big, he whispered to Johnny. I saw Johnny smile, he said something then showed him his medal. I think Anton was getting a lesson on King Arthur.

Maria and I were the last to go through the line, I shook the hands of my staff as they came to the line. Of course, James stood by, in case I needed him, that is what he said.

Arriving at our table with our trays, the Knights all stood, quietly for a few minutes, and then after Marie and I sat down, they all joined me. Today was going to be a day of leisure. I was tired and I needed to talk to Gerry. Lawrence carried Anton to the Medical center, Marie went with them.

“James, Gerry, meet me in my office please with a cup of coffee.”

“He’s back”

“James, can you give me a quick rundown?”

“The architect plans you requested are complete and just need your approval. Tomorrow you need to review the construction of the college. I have Seth’s bill and Marcel wants to keep one of the junior cooks he brought from France. I set a meeting with him for tomorrow after Breakfast. There are some congratulatory letters, your dad asked you to phone him.”

“I’ll phone Dad tonight and take care of the correspondence tomorrow. Let me know when Marie comes back, I’m going to take a shower and change. Gerry you and I can talk while I do that.”

“Dad, I saw your arrival. All of the boys saw it. I bet you were surprised.”

“I was very surprised, but it was a nice welcome. I’m sure you’ll get a much bigger welcome, we may have to consider a national holiday. Gerry, I have some concerns. The staff seems very capable but the problem is lack of education. Once the children reached a certain age, unless they are part of the Palace staff, they do not pursue additional education. We need to think about at least the concept of a trade school, teaching the young a trade that will be useful for the Country. What do you think?”

“I like the idea but where we would get the teachers?”

“It’s my understanding that we have capable people, what we would call journeymen. They could teach. One of the kitchen staff wants to be a cook, she’s learning at her mother’s side. She could be a chef, a boy could be an artisan, we need to think about those things. If we lose the skills, then we’ll have to import those skills and our people will be idle.”

“I’m not against the idea, but how do we find qualified people to teach. We’ll also need to have a place to practice these skills.”

“You’re right, so maybe we should put together a committee to explore this idea.”

“Yes, we can do that.”

“I spoke to the family of your step-mother. They have suffered because of her, I gave them an annual allowance. Their two children are now wards of the Principality. Gunther, the oldest is 14, I was thinking of bringing him here. He’d have to start at the lowest level but he may become a confidant for you when you become Prince.”

“What about Josef?”

“He’ll become part of Han’s cadre.”

“Tell me about Anton?”

“How about after supper? Now scoot so I can get dressed.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 20
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, back to the grindstone, so work can continue on the college and the school

  • Like 4
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Now that Adam is back at school, it will be interesting to see how the plans he has are carried out!

You think everything will go as planned? With Adam you never know what will require his attention next.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, back to the grindstone, so work can continue on the college and the school

Adam is anxious to get the college opened in time for the fall enrollment. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, dutch woman said:

Now that Adam is becoming attached to the people of Liechtenstein, it's time for him and Marie to learn to speak German. Enough teachers at his school to learn from.

Yes, Americans are spoiled. It seemed where I went in Europe people spoke English. Where ever I lived, I learned phrases. I did speak French and Spanish, but I haven't spoke those languages for several years and that is a problem or an old man.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

"Now scoot so I can get dressed" ... I'm perving here... I want to be a fly on the wall. Well I'd love to have been Gerry standing there chatting while Adam showered, but a fly on the wall will do. I know my place.

Seriously, loving how Adam is falling into being a just and strong ruler. One who thinks of his subjects and tries to improve their lot. He has a great future in store and the country will only be stronger and in a better place when Gerry is of age to take over. It seems almost that the old regime got stuck in the past a little, maybe because of the size of the country, but Adam is here now to pull it up and into the 21st century.

Absolutely loving the story...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Kev said:

"Now scoot so I can get dressed" ... I'm perving here... I want to be a fly on the wall. Well I'd love to have been Gerry standing there chatting while Adam showered, but a fly on the wall will do. I know my place.

Seriously, loving how Adam is falling into being a just and strong ruler. One who thinks of his subjects and tries to improve their lot. He has a great future in store and the country will only be stronger and in a better place when Gerry is of age to take over. It seems almost that the old regime got stuck in the past a little, maybe because of the size of the country, but Adam is here now to pull it up and into the 21st century.

Absolutely loving the story...

You realize that Adam has no special gift. Anyone can do what Adam does if you have a loving heart and a desire to help people to live a better life. He gives respect to all, ensures all are treated with dignity and justly. Yes, he has a specialized training that puts him in a position to achieve his goals.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Yes, Americans are spoiled. It seemed where I went in Europe people spoke English. Where ever I lived, I learned phrases. I did speak French and Spanish, but I haven't spoke those languages for several years and that is a problem or an old man.

I live close to the Mexican border and I'll tell far more Mexican citizen's are bi-lingual and speak English thenthere are American who can speak Spanish.

Gerry is showing a lot of character it sounds like he's willing to give Gunther the son of the stepmother who hated her a chance many kids might be reluctant to do so

  • Like 3
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I live close to the Mexican border and I'll tell far more Mexican citizen's are bi-lingual and speak English thenthere are American who can speak Spanish.

Gerry is showing a lot of character it sounds like he's willing to give Gunther the son of the stepmother who hated her a chance many kids might be reluctant to do so

Gunther was the. nephew of Gerry's step=mother. His parents were killed in an avalance while sking. Adam's influence is showing 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Like father like son. Gerry is definitely taking after Adam already. Though, I believe, Gerry had an amazing heart - caring and concerned for everyone - before Adam arrived on the scene. He's just able to cultivate it and watch it flourish. Heartwarming. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Chris L said:

Like father like son. Gerry is definitely taking after Adam already. Though, I believe, Gerry had an amazing heart - caring and concerned for everyone - before Adam arrived on the scene. He's just able to cultivate it and watch it flourish. Heartwarming. 

It is hard to predict how Gerry would develop without Adam. We do know he would not have been able to see his dad without Adam's help.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

When I was in the army, I was assigned to Germany for my overseas service. While I was there I made it a point to learn to speak a little German. Oh, sure, the Masc. Fem. & Neut. endings on the nouns were confusing to an English speaker at first, but I found again and again, if you try to communicate a  little, the native speakers will respond well. Of course, they would giggle a little at my poor attempts at German, correct me, then just go on with the conversation. I ended my overseas service with a fair, if baby-talk, ability with German, and lots of friends. Even my poor attempts pleased them, and I discovered that they generated lots of beer-buddies at the Gasthaus.
By now, all the German phrases I picked up have flown out of my head, but I can still say, 'Guten Morgan, wie gehts dir?"  with a good enough accent that a German speaker can understand me.
I remeber one incident that happened to me on a semi-drunken New Years Eve, a motherly type German woman leaned across the aisle in a Gasthaus and asked (in German, of course) if I would like to sleep with her? I replied something to the effect od 'No thank you, perhaps another time.' She then asked if I would like to sleep with her son! That was a time when I was left speechless,,,,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

When I was in the army, I was assigned to Germany for my overseas service. While I was there I made it a point to learn to speak a little German. Oh, sure, the Masc. Fem. & Neut. endings on the nouns were confusing to an English speaker at first, but I found again and again, if you try to communicate a  little, the native speakers will respond well. Of course, they would giggle a little at my poor attempts at German, correct me, then just go on with the conversation. I ended my overseas service with a fair, if baby-talk, ability with German, and lots of friends. Even my poor attempts pleased them, and I discovered that they generated lots of beer-buddies at the Gasthaus.
By now, all the German phrases I picked up have flown out of my head, but I can still say, 'Guten Morgan, wie gehts dir?"  with a good enough accent that a German speaker can understand me.
I remeber one incident that happened to me on a semi-drunken New Years Eve, a motherly type German woman leaned across the aisle in a Gasthaus and asked (in German, of course) if I would like to sleep with her? I replied something to the effect od 'No thank you, perhaps another time.' She then asked if I would like to sleep with her son! That was a time when I was left speechless,,,,

I spent some time in Germany old. business .  Never got that invitation.  It is interesting that once you leave a country, you tend to lose your ability to remember foreign languages. Although I suspect you speak Portuguese 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sorry but you are in error. My Portuguese is confined to probably 5-6 phrases. I think I am just getting too old to pick up languages easily!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, Will Hawkins said:

Sorry but you are in error. My Portuguese is confined to probably 5-6 phrases. I think I am just getting too old to pick up languages easily!

Do you speak the language of Brazil?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..