Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 907 Words
  • 1,882 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 168. Chapter 168

The first issue for the Board was the admittance of girls to Kings College. This would make the College co-ed and require additional dorms for the girls, preferable on the other side of the college from the boy’s dorms.

Walking back to my office, I explained to Gerry the concept of a co-ed college. “We essentially would take students from the age of 12 until they graduate at the age of 21 or 22 with a bachelor’s degree. If we develop a master’s program within the framework of the original intent of the Academy, we could offer a master’s degree. Our staff is equipped to offer a doctorate degree again within the guidelines of the intent of the Academy. This is exciting, don’t you think?”

“That is a lot to think about, Father. I have a feeling if anyone can make this happen, it will be you.”

“While I think about it, the Board meets on the 15th of the month unless that is a Sunday, and then we meet on the Monday following.”

“I have thought about it. Edward said for me to do it.”

I looked at him, he laughed. “The idea of you thinking so much about Edward and what he meant to you and then seeing the memorial plaque, made me want to be a part of this. Edward was a friend, and I want to be part of this school. It’s my way of remembering him.”

“What do you think of your brothers joining us on the Board?”

“I would love it. It would mean I’d get to see them at least once a month. Have you talked to them?”

“No, not yet, but I think I might, especially if any of the current Board retires.”

Gerry placed his hand on my heart, “Definitely warm,” I laughed. Sometimes the silliest thing brings back good memories.

“You know you started that. I remember the day you came into my office, sat on your favorite seat, and placed your hand on my chest. Out of the blue, you said, ‘definitely a warm heart.’ Do you remember that?”

“Yes, I just wanted to sit on your lap. I missed my Father that day, and I needed you. Sitting on your lap, you would put your arms around us. I felt like I was in a cocoon, warm and safe.”

I looked at this young man with tears in my eyes. I never knew what I did had such an effect on the boys. It seemed natural for me to do that. Boys away from home for long periods of time. Some didn’t have a home until I adopted them. All boys needed a hug now and then. I was willing to do that, some more than others.

“How is Franz doing?”

“He’s doing well. It took him a year to catch up to the level of new students, but he is doing fine now. He and Adam have become not only brothers but friends as well. I think a little of me is in Adam. He is very defensive when it comes to Franz and some of the other younger boys. It doesn’t take long for the Knights to bond, and that helps the younger boys, the concept of a big brother under the guise of the Knights helps.”

“I’m leaving in the morning. The copter will pick me up right after breakfast. Hans will meet me on the plane. I never thanked you for the plane.”

“You don’t give thanks for gifts from your Father. Anyway, I needed a bigger plane.”

That morning at breakfast, I introduced Gerry as the Prince of Liechtenstein and a personal friend of mine. Gerry had his Knights of the Square Table pin on. I saw a few of the boys notice that, and then a whisper or two. I knew there would be someone in my office after Gerry left. When breakfast was over, Gerry excused himself to pack. James asked Gerry II to bring me a coffee.

When he came into my office, his Father was there to say goodbye. I left them alone for a few minutes, and when I returned with a cup of coffee, Gerry said goodbye as the copter landed.

I looked at little Gerry, and he had tears in his eyes. I sat down, picked him up, and set him on my lap. “You’ll see him again soon.”

“Grandfather, can I sit here for a while?”

“Here on my lap?” “Yes” “Sure, you can sit here until Dinner, then you need to study.”

And that is what he did, after about 30 minutes, he fell asleep. Looking at him, I saw Gerry all over again.

 

Later that evening, I told Marie about Gerry agreeing to be on the Board. She thought that was a good idea. Besides being on the Board, I’d see him at least once a month. Marie was a smart woman, and she knew that Gerry meant a lot to me. I think she understood better than I the relationship that we had. Gerry not only filled my need for having a son at the time, but he also filled my need to love a child. Not until we had our children did I understand the role of father. Gerry benefited from that as well. Gerry was the first, and the other five followed. I was and still am a happy man with my extended family.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 23
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I think with Gerry joining the board and eventually his the brothers, the Academy and College will always be in safe hands. Adam has made his mark on the world.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

I think with Gerry joining the board and eventually his the brothers, the Academy and College will always be in safe hands. Adam has made his mark on the world.

Yes, you are right. Adam will be able to relax in his retirement, if he retires

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I think Adam is realising that to keep his school and legacy going , he will need the boys to continue his work when he’s gone  

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Gerry and the five sons all on the board, becoming a family event almost. Good move. Poor Gerry II, I was never in a boarding school but not sure if I could have taken being away from home at that age. Hated that I lost mum, and just hated my father but home is home. I love how Adam has finally admitted that he needed the boys as much as they needed him... :thankyou:

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I think that Adam has most definitely made a major mark in and on the lives of the boys which has impacted the way they deal with everything and everyone, also having his boys on the board will definitely keep them all in touch 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I imagine all the students that were there when Adam first arrived I bet almost all of them will send their sons and daughters to the academy and college.You still  haven't told us how Billy,Stephan and Anna did at the Olympics.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Agreed, the Academy, College, and all that Adam as worked hard to build thus far will definitely be in good hands once his sons sit on the board. Regardless, having been students as well as sons, they will keep their fathers intent and direction alive for many years to come.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..