Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,246 Words
  • 2,280 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 40. Chapter 40

I woke up at 4, made a cup of coffee, and was ready to start my warm-ups when Billy joined me. I like to run with him. He pushes me. We headed towards the diner and back to the cabin. We ran for an hour so it gave us time to cool down before I had to get dressed and leave.

Mom and Jen had breakfast ready, we ate and I left for school. I arrived early but I wanted to get there in time to receive the office furniture. I had the custodian open the door for me as the delivery truck arrived. I showed them where to put the furniture, I was anxious for James to see the setup. Beside the standing desk, there was a settee, a small cupboard which was divided into two compartments, one side had files and the other had shelves. I thank the delivery guys. The custodian wanted to know what kind of desk that was. I explained it to him, he just shook his head as he left.

I was sitting in my office looking at the school layout. I wanted to find the space for a test room when James came in. “Wow, the furniture came.”

“What do you think?”

“I like it. Wait until Jane sees it.”

“Let’s go and get a cup of coffee. If she sees us, she’ll be right behind us.”

Sure enough, as we headed to the cafeteria we not only picked up Jane but also Bob Anderson. “If we keep doing this, the total staff will be here.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that. We don’t need to have a coffee machine in our offices.”

“Most of the staff get their coffee in the Staff Dining room, They usually have doughnuts or some form of pastry.”

“That’s ok coffee is all I want, I don’t need the extra calories.”

“Doc, Jane wants to see the office.”

“No problem, you can show her.”

I listened as Jane was making comments, “The Director is going to have a baby over this.”

“I don’t think the school paid for this. Doc told me he paid for it so it shouldn’t be a problem.”

I wrote out my proposal for a test center where all of the tests would be conducted under an administrator. I let James read it over, “Who is going to be the administrator?”

“I was thinking of you. The school may not pay you for the additional responsibility but if they don’t, I’ll pay you.”

He looked at me, “I see your plan, as long as you pay the school can’t complain but what about the other teachers and Directors.”

“Nothing is stopping them from buying or spending their money.”

“You’re a rebel.”

“No, I’m a teacher who wants every student to excel to the highest level of their abilities.”

At lunch I noticed the boys made a large square, They left one corner open so boys could sit on both sides of the table. I sat in the middle, “I’m calling to order the Knights of the Square Table. From now on, we shall meet at mid-day for dining in this establishment.”

The boys started hey hey hey. I looked at Johnny he was laughing, James just shook his head and Jane and Bob had their hands over their ears. I was laughing as we ate our lunch.

On the way out I stopped Richard, “Richard, when you have time I would like for you to stop at my office.”

“Yes sir”

“Richard you aren’t in trouble I just want to discuss an idea with you."

Back at my office, “James ,can you get me Richard Damon’s class schedule.”

Now I need to check out a spare room for testing. I noticed there was a room in the basement that I could use, if not I’ll find one. I also need to check out my living quarters. I don’t mind driving to the cabin as long as mom and dad are there, but staying here would be more efficient. I could always see Marie on weekends. Wait why did I say that, she’s very nice, I like her but it’s too early to think beyond a few dates. I better get back to my work.

I heard Jane in the office talking to James. “What is he trying to do? McMillan is up in arms. Bob Anderson has been telling the other teachers about lunchtime and coffee in the morning. I think McMillan is going to call a Director’s meeting.”

“I’m not sure that would be a good idea. He has a two-year iron-clad contract and I hear he has some very important people pulling for him. They should just let him go and do his thing. You see how the students react to him, if he asked them to jump they would ask how high. If they’re in communication with their parents and if he goes, there’ll be hell to pay here.”

“Why does he do this?”

“Have you read his book?”

“Not yet.”

“To understand Doc, read his book. Then we’ll discuss this. I think after reading that book, he’s on the right track. What do you think about the Knights of the Square Table?”

“I don’t know, Bob thought it was a great idea. I haven’t told McMillan about that yet.”

“Let Bob tell her if she asks.”

I just smiled as I thought a revolution was about to begin. Speaking to the custodian this morning, I had an idea. I’ll bet he’ll know the perfect room for me. “Jane, were’s the custodian’s office.”

“It’s in the basement. Take the door on the left as you enter. When you get to the bottom of the stairs, you will see a sign that indicates his quarters.”

“Thanks”

“What’s he up to now?”

I followed Jane’s advice and found the custodian in his kitchen having a cup of coffee. “Hello Doc, how’s the furniture.”

“Just fine Mr. Rusello. I have a question for you. I need a spare room, quiet with a lot of light. I am going to establish a testing center where the students can take their tests without the pressure of time. Any suggestions?”

“There is an empty storage room here, but I don’t think that’s the best. Wait there is a storage room on the third floor. It use to be the art room before they built the new addition. If you could get the boys to help, we could clean out that room, move that stuff down here and then install the surplus desks. I believe there are surplus desks in that room. Wait I’ll get my keys and we can go and check it out.”

Walking up three flights of steps seemed to be a lot for Mr. Rusello. We walked slow, “I don’t know if I’d be able to come up here to clean. This is a tough climb for me.”

“Mr. Rusello, the Knights of the Square Table will keep this room spotless. You’ll not have to come up here.” He looked at me as if I was crazy. I was use to that look.

The room was perfect. Lights still work, windows and floor would need cleaning and there were about 7 spare desks. “Mr. Rusello this is perfect. Doesn’t appear to be too much stuff in this room.”

I thanked Mr. Rusello, I’ll have Mom bake him a pie to go along with that coffee of his.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 23
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting him looking for results before the problem of space becomes an issue, Macmillan is going to have get her heAd out if the ground and realise that change is happening and she will be powerless to stop or prevent it from happening

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

McMillan doesn't like Adam because she couldn't hire him on the cheap and the fact that he's a rebel in her eyes and doesn't conform to what she thinks a teacher should be. Adam has powerful friends if she calls a Directors meeting.

It's my guess she didn't like having to increase his offer. I'm sure she was told to do it even when she objected. She believes she is a powerful woman who controls the school.  Reminds me of the witch in Nansel and Gretal, charming on the outside, nasty on the inside

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Interesting him looking for results before the problem of space becomes an issue, Macmillan is going to have get her heAd out if the ground and realise that change is happening and she will be powerless to stop or prevent it from happening

She will never agree to do that. I'm sure she thinks she has the control, but she will soon find out that Adam's army will win the war.  They are probably writing home and telling their parents 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Oh to be McMillan and seeing your power just wither in the wind over to a newbie! 😂🤣😂

If she could spit fire, she would.  I have a feeling she will get 'up comings'

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Everybody is spot on about McMillian.I love the name Knights of the square table.

You know a school of that stature with the tuition they charge should be able to install an elevator.I think it's a law in most states.

I'm getting WAYYYYY ahead of the story here.But he mentioned Marie maybe somewhere down the line Marie could be hired to help the other Dr. McMillan he sounds like he needs it.Although if she's doing good work at the clinic I hate tp see her leave there

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It is a simple issue with a clear resolution, once the parents see the changes, for the better, in their sons, Adam's war will be won!

I believe the colloquialism that applies here is...the definition of insanity, is trying(doing) the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Everybody is spot on about McMillian.I love the name Knights of the square table.

You know a school of that stature with the tuition they charge should be able to install an elevator.I think it's a law in most states.

I'm getting WAYYYYY ahead of the story here.But he mentioned Marie maybe somewhere down the line Marie could be hired to help the other Dr. McMillan he sounds like he needs it.Although if she's doing good work at the clinic I hate tp see her leave there

 

In thye fashion of an English prep school. I don't think elevators were utilized. This school was built on a template of an English prep school. Why? Don't know since must of the boys are from across the  waters.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

It is a simple issue with a clear resolution, once the parents see the changes, for the better, in their sons, Adam's war will be won!

I believe the colloquialism that applies here is...the definition of insanity, is trying(doing) the same thing over and over again and expecting different results!!!

You may be right. I would think any person, working ion this school, would understand the benefits of having the students telling their parents about the people working there. If I was Jane, I'd be b uttering their bread for them

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Knights of the square Table... Forget all of that just make Adam my hero!!! I love that guy totally and utterly😍 Oh and my pie is a cherry one please... I haven't had anyone steal my cherry for ages:thankyou::2thumbs::thankyou:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Kev said:

Knights of the square Table... Forget all of that just make Adam my hero!!! I love that guy totally and utterly😍 Oh and my pie is a cherry one please... I haven't had anyone steal my cherry for ages:thankyou::2thumbs::thankyou:

It's a once in a life time experience.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Everything is based on positivity in this book and being able to explore a great idea.  I love the bond between Adam and his nephews.  I think his relationship with Billy is the heart of this book.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..