Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,312 Words
  • 10,098 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 39. Chapter 39

Walking back in with his coffee, “I have all of the students' files in your desk file. I took the liberty and marked them, green for top student, blue for average, and red for the bottom group.”

“Good, your furniture will arrive tomorrow and then you can get set up. I’d like for you to keep a calendar for me.”

“A calendar or appointment book?”

“An appointment book only I normally used a calendar for that.”

I started to go through the red files looking for the young man I met in the cafeteria. Finding it, he was right, he was failing almost all of his classes. While I was reading his file I heard Jane talking to James. Looking at my watch it was lunchtime.

“I’m going to lunch, anyone coming with me. James, Jane?”

“I was asked not to humor you.”

“What does that mean?”

“Not to go to lunch with you.” I just looked at her, “Ok I’ll go but you better save my job if I get in trouble.”

Laughing, we headed for the cafeteria. When I walked in, there was Bob Anderson in line talking to one of the students. Jane looked at me smiling, I started to laugh and thankfully not very loud.

We got our lunch, James and Jane went to a table with two other boys and I saw the boys pull together three tables saving me a middle seat. I looked over and Bob was sitting with Jane and James. It appeared that all five of them were deep in a conversation. I just smiled to myself.

“Well, gentlemen, what should we discuss today over this feast.”

They laughed and I saw the new boys begin to relax. “How are the sports games coming?”

That did it, now we talked about the sports teams at the school as well as the summer Olympics which were due to start this summer. There was a lot of laugher at our table and I noticed a few of the boys at other tables kept looking over. “Johnny, tomorrow for lunch, I’d like for you to set up the tables so everyone has a chance to join us. If you look around there are few men who feel left out. We should give everyone a chance to join in.”

He looked over the table with Jane, Bob Anderson, and James. “Yes, them also”

If I was a gambling man I’d bet there will be more teachers each day until only the Directors will be eating in the Staff Dining Room.

Leaving for the day, I took Richard Damon’s file with me. I wanted to look at it a little more.

Arriving back at the cabin, I saw Dad’s car in the driveway. Walking into the cabin, I was jumped on by Scotty. “Remember we’re going for a walk today.”

“Yes, let me change my clothes and we’ll be off. How are you doing Billy?”

“I’m doing fine.” He followed me to my room. “Ann called me today to say she was sorry. I told her it was ok and I wished her the best. Then I hung up.”

“How did you feel about that?”

“I felt good. I don’t wish her bad luck or anything but it's over. I’m not in a hurry, I still have my school to finish and your Olympic trials.”

I grabbed him in a hug, “I hope my children turn out like you.”

He looked at me and just smiled. “Let’s go and get the munchkin for our walk.”

We started on the same trail as yesterday only about halfway we took a different trail. Scotty was looking for animals, we did see a rabbit. “Look, Uncle Adam, there’s a rabbit. Let’s catch it.”

“Yea, Uncle Adam, let’s catch it for dinner.”

“Oh, we can’t kill it.”

“Why don’t we let it go, his mommy and daddy will be sad if we take him?”

That did it. Billy looked at me and mouthed, mommy and daddy. I went to hit him but he ran away laughing.

Dinner that night was great. Mom is a good cook and so is Jen, so between them, we had a fantastic dinner. Scotty wanted to take a carrot for the rabbit. Billy gave him a carrot and they went to find the rabbit.

While the ladies clean up after dinner, “Dad, I think I’m ready to buy a new car and the one I have, I’m going to give to Billy. What do you think?”

“What kind of car did you have in mind?”

“I want something good on gas, I plan on coming here on the weekends. So I’ll end up putting a lot of mileage on it and it would be best if I had a car that got high mileage to a gallon of gas.”

“I think Steve has a cousin who works at a car dealership. When I go home I’ll give him a call and see what he has. Might get a good deal.”

“Thanks, Dad. I brought some work home and I need to get to it.”

I was sitting in the living room looking through the file I brought home. Billy came in and set down beside me. “You have homework?”

“Yes, there’s this student who freezes whenever he takes a test. These are his actual tests and what I see so far, the reason he doesn’t get good grades is that he never finishes the test.”

“What are you going to do? If he freezes up it would be difficult for him to get good grades.”

“Suppose he doesn’t freeze up. Suppose he has time and no pressure, what then?”

“I would guess he’d pass.”

“Exactly, so my job is to see that he’s given the time.”

“What if his teacher says it isn’t fair, he gets more time but the other kids don’t.”

“He would be right except what if I change the way we give tests.”

“I don’t understand.”

“In your school, you take tests in the classroom where the subject matter is taught. That is true in every school in the US. But you know I’m a rebel, so I’m going to have a testing center, which will be monitored. The students will have plenty of time to take the test, with no pressure. I’ll bet those students like this lad will excel.”

“How are you going to do that? They will balk and then you’ll lose your job.”

“Nope won’t happen, I have a two-year iron-clad contract and the backing of a very important person. I think they are afraid of me, but they shouldn’t be, I have only the interest of the students in my work.”

“Are you still eating in the cafeteria?”

“Of yes and I got another teacher to join us today. I have asked Johnny, you remember Johnny, to reorganize the tables in the cafeteria so we can all sit together.”

“You’ll have to keep me informed.”

“Oh, so you are interested in my methods. Come with me I’ll give you a copy of my book.”

We walked out to the car, I had my hand on his shoulder, “Did you run today?”

“Yes, I ran almost to the diner before I turned around and ran back.”

“Yes, you’re Olympic material. Here’s my book.”

Walking back into the house, Billy showed his mom my book. “Billy, let me have your book a minute” I opened it and wrote in it, I showed Billy, he showed his mother. He had to show Mom and Dad. Scotty wanted to see it, so he showed him as well. Jen looked at me, she mouthed ‘I love you].

“I have two more days before the weekend so folks I’m off to bed. Billy if you want to run in the morning, I run at 5 am, and warm up at 4 thirty.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 19
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

 The board asked Jane "not to humor"  Adam?Geez what a bunch of stuffed shirts and I'm being nice.

That test center idea sounds great where does it say that a test absolutely has to taken only during the time of one class?

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter, I think that the lunch room is going to be a great place to find what problems are going on, 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Adam is settling into the school, has got another teacher eating with the boys 

Unfortunately, Adam is going to be seen as a maverick.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Chris L said:

Oh gawd, I remember those 430a days at the gym ... then I came to my senses ... now I start at 6a! LOL!!! 

at the time you probably thought it was the right time, no one else there.  Now I think you have something else to occupy that time till 6 am 😀

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, weinerdog said:

 The board asked Jane "not to humor"  Adam?Geez what a bunch of stuffed shirts and I'm being nice.

That test center idea sounds great where does it say that a test absolutely has to taken only during the time of one class?

The test center will be the answer and fully supported by the teachers. It'll give them more time to teach. teachers are for it, Directors are against it. Gentlemen, prepare your weapons, we are going to fight.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I think that the lunch room is going to be a great place to find what problems are going on, 

Definitely among the boys. It'll be a two way street, boys ask questions, Adam answers. Adam asks questions, boys answer, For Adam and the teachers, perfect

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

The test center will be the answer and fully supported by the teachers. It'll give them more time to teach. teachers are for it, Directors are against it. Gentlemen, prepare your weapons, we are going to fight.

Of course, the Directors are against it. It means funding to establish such a program.  It means hiring a Monitor or two or paying the current teachers extra to give up time to cover the Center. It means dedicating space to have the Center. They already don’t like having to give Adam such a large salary. They don’t realize that by setting them on their ears and spinning them in circles, he is about to make this elite, illustrious educational facility even more so.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Of course, the Directors are against it. It means funding to establish such a program.  It means hiring a Monitor or two or paying the current teachers extra to give up time to cover the Center. It means dedicating space to have the Center. They already don’t like having to give Adam such a large salary. They don’t realize that by setting them on their ears and spinning them in circles, he is about to make this elite, illustrious educational facility even more so.

Thinking about the Directors, they seem to be a stuffy sort, don't rock the boat type..  Just the kind Adam  likes. I don't think money is an issue, Adam has the money to pay for it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

When you stop and think about it, the resources needed to have a 'testing center' are already in place. It is a simple matter of marshaling and using your existing resources wisely.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

When you stop and think about it, the resources needed to have a 'testing center' are already in place. It is a simple matter of marshaling and using your existing resources wisely.

You are right. I think it is simpler in a private boarding school then a community school where attendance is based on a strict schedule.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'll have a copy of the book pleased, and a signed copy for the charity store that I work at. I reckon soon Adam will have all of the teachers eating int he cafeteria and just the ones that are the problems sticking to the staff area. 

I have a few clients that come in on a regular basis, my favourites (other than the old ladies) are the Canadian and the Yanks... The yank comes in because she used to use thrift stores in the US. The Canadian always comes in with donations and his son loved teasing Uncle Kev. Maybe it's me, but I know its a charity store but I get as much out of working there as the people who shop there do.

I still would have loved to have the drive that Adam did with his studies because I would love to be a teacher, I always taught in the church and counted it a challenge to be able to always reach whoever I was talking to. I miss those times. I remember teaching seven year-olds once in the church and at the end of the class the floor needed a wash because we used it instead of the chalk board... The bishop might have hated me but the kids in the class talked about the lesson for weeks. I am happy now, but when I talk like this... I miss those times.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kev said:

I'll have a copy of the book pleased, and a signed copy for the charity store that I work at. I reckon soon Adam will have all of the teachers eating int he cafeteria and just the ones that are the problems sticking to the staff area. 

I have a few clients that come in on a regular basis, my favourites (other than the old ladies) are the Canadian and the Yanks... The yank comes in because she used to use thrift stores in the US. The Canadian always comes in with donations and his son loved teasing Uncle Kev. Maybe it's me, but I know its a charity store but I get as much out of working there as the people who shop there do.

I still would have loved to have the drive that Adam did with his studies because I would love to be a teacher, I always taught in the church and counted it a challenge to be able to always reach whoever I was talking to. I miss those times. I remember teaching seven year-olds once in the church and at the end of the class the floor needed a wash because we used it instead of the chalk board... The bishop might have hated me but the kids in the class talked about the lesson for weeks. I am happy now, but when I talk like this... I miss those times.

 

I am glad that my stories bring happy memories to you.  I have asked Adam to send you the book. He said he will deliver it when he is in England.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Have I missed something in the writing — There are frequent mentions of boys talking to or visiting with Adam in his office, but I have not run into him having a meeting with or about a girl student????? I suppose with the high percentage of foreign students, many of whom might be from Muslim or Oriental countries where women are not held in very high esteem, it is possible that this school has an all-male student body. If so, a brief mention of that would clarify a situation,

With all the books he is giving away, Adam is going to upset his publisher by stearling the market!!!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

Have I missed something in the writing — There are frequent mentions of boys talking to or visiting with Adam in his office, but I have not run into him having a meeting with or about a girl student????? I suppose with the high percentage of foreign students, many of whom might be from Muslim or Oriental countries where women are not held in very high esteem, it is possible that this school has an all-male student body. If so, a brief mention of that would clarify a situation,

With all the books he is giving away, Adam is going to upset his publisher by stearling the market!!!! 

This is an all boys school with foreign students 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..