Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,279 Words
  • 2,239 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 80. Chapter 80

I woke to the first alarm, I felt great. A glass of orange juice, a run with the boys teasing me. I felt I was off to a great day.

Walking into the office, I saw one of my boys leaving at a very face pace. “James, what was Gene doing here?”

“He asked when you were coming, I told him you should be here soon, when he saw you he took off.”

That was perplexing. I just sat down at my desk, when Gene came in with a cup of coffee, “Here’s your morning coffee, Dad.”

I looked at James, he looked perplexed as well. “Thank you, Gene” I pulled him into a hugged and kissed the top of his head. His face lit up in a big smile. I gave him another cuddle before he left.

James kept looking at me, “Alright, what happened?”

“I’m not sure. Unless Johnny said something because of the time he spent at the cabin.” I knew different. There are no secrets among these boys. I’m sure Gerry told them everything.

I called Dad and told him I would be home Thursday night with a guest. I had some banking business to do on Friday.

I looked over a few invoices as I drank my coffee. I saw a note from Seth wanting to give me a demonstration of the joust. I opted for some games for the students, like three-legged races.

“James, we need to award the boys for participation in the fair. I was thinking of a badge, highlighting the fair. Maybe the Name and the date, then we could paste stars on their badge for first place, and everyone would get a star for participation.”

“You would need to make sure that everyone had an equal chance to win a star.”

“Let’s pull together some games, like a three-legged race. I’m sure there are others. When does Seth want to show us the joust?”

“Since you are going home this weekend, maybe next Monday.”

“Yes, that’ll do. I need to do a quick tour and see what I missed while I was gone.”

I headed to the Dining Hall and saw part of a sign further down the hall. Walking towards the sign, I started to laugh. There hung outside on the wall just beyond the doorway was a sign, Castle Keep with three lions. Able did a perfect job.

I walked into the Dining Hall and saw all of my Knights sitting at the table enjoying their breakfast. At one of the tables, Angelo was sitting with some staff and Able. I walked over to them, “Able, I saw the sign, you did an excellent job. Angelo, I expect some canvases from this young man. We need to showcase his talent.”

He smiled, Angelo leaned over and said something, he looked at me and smiled again.

I looked around the table as I ate. There isn’t a boy here I wouldn’t be proud to call my son. “Dad, have you heard of FaceTime ?”

“No, George, tell us what you know?”

“It’s a new computer program that allows face-to-face contact. It would be like the other person is sitting across from you.”

“I remember a program that we used at the University for presentation. But it was shown on a screen, like a movie screen. It was mostly one-sided and the professor at the school could pose questions. It was a marvel to us then. There was even talk about small systems you could wear on your wrist and talk face to face.”

“If you have time, I’d like to show you.”

“Yes, George, maybe after supper”

It was set, I was going to get an introduction to FaceTime.

We finished breakfast and I headed to the gym. I saw the door open to the custodian’s quarters, I yelled hello and kept going. I was really surprised when I walked into the gym. Lights have been replaced, the floor was polished and there was water in the pool. I saw Coach coming out of the locker room. “I say, you have been busy.”

“The boys did most of this. They wanted to swim, I asked them to wait until you got back.”

“Before they go swimming, I think we need a swim coach and some way of determining their skill level. I certainly don’t want anyone hurt.”

I left him after a small discussion concerning games on the other court. Then I remember Henry was supposed to be here last weekend.

“James before you ask, I have no idea what is going on. Did Dr. Henry Stevens call or show up last weekend.”

“No Dad, he didn’t show up. He may have tried to call but I didn’t get to answer.”

“Don’t be a smarty, I don’t know what’s going on.”

“You called them sons”

“I have always called them sons only it was generally on a one on one basis. I thought I would play along with the father thing.”

 

I called Henry, “Good morning, I hope I didn’t interrupt your breakfast. I called to see if we could schedule another time to come north.”

“Yes, it was sad” I forgot that Henry had connections. “Yes, I stayed with him until all of the business was concluded. I felt sorry for him and all of my boys. It isn’t a normal childhood… Yes, I understand that but your heart goes out to them. So are you coming?” That would be fantastic, it would handle the coaching spot but what about computer technology?” Ok, send me the information. Thanks, Henry, we should get together sometime … I’ll need help staffing my college.”

We chatted for a few minutes, catching up on some common friends.

I looked at James and he still wasn’t buying it. There was nothing I could do, secrets must be kept. I started to open the correspondence from the families of the boys.

I looked at the first letter I opened, instead of one line of salutation, There was a second line, Royal Guardian. I must have stared at that too long, James came and looked over my shoulder.

“Royal Guardian, what is that all about?”

I got up and closed my door. “James, what I’m about to tell you is top secret, you must never and I do mean never mention what I’m going to tell you.”

“Doc, I’m privilege to a lot of information, what you tell me won’t leave this room.”

“I’m sure you know that the boys here are not what they seem to be. Gerry’s father was dying, that is why I made arrangements to fly him home. As it turned out he did see his father before he died, his father made me Gerry’s guardian until he is 21. When Gerry becomes 21 he will assume his father's position. Until that time, Gerry has given me the right to make decisions that affect his country. I’m sure that’s the source of the dad or father comments. These boys know each other on a level outside of school. They have trust in each other and are developing very close friendships that will do this world good and make us proud. Now, do you understand?”

He sat down in the chair. He looked at me for a long time, “Events around you don’t just happen, do they? Someone is causing them to happen. This school needed you, that is why you are here. That is why you were successful in cleaning up the mess. I want to stay close to you because whatever it is, I’d like some of it to rub off on me.”

“Nothing magic, just do what’s right.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 22
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 minute ago, Chris L said:

I've always lived by, whatever it is that you do, be able to look back on it and know you did the right thing. 

That is a good model. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Awesome chapter. The Knights will protect Gerry. So Adam is Dad to 60 boys. It's great that he has a confident in James.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. The Knights will protect Gerry. So Adam is Dad to 60 boys. It's great that he has a confident in James.

In every organization there seems to be an individual that makes things happen.  James was right, he isn't a secretary, he's Adam's right hand man

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, weinerdog said:

It's cool that all the kids are calling Adam Dad

As a teacher, or mentor of any kind to children, if you do the kind of job where they give you a nickname and call you by it consistently, I think you know you have their hearts.  I had a group of kids many years ago who did this and called me by this nickname for 3 years while they were with me.  They even made me a little doohickey with the name on it that I had hanging above one of my doors until I left for another school.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

As a teacher, or mentor of any kind to children, if you do the kind of job where they give you a nickname and call you by it consistently, I think you know you have their hearts.  I had a group of kids many years ago who did this and called me by this nickname for 3 years while they were with me.  They even made me a little doohickey with the name on it that I had hanging above one of my doors until I left for another school.

The bestowing of a nickname, assuming it isn't a demeaning one, is a way children relate to adults. It is a form of saying 'let's be friends' while still showing respect

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I could do with a little of Adam rubbing off on me as well.... What? Oh... sorry my mind was in the gutter for a moment there.:devil:🤪

Dad seems to be fitting in with the boys better that Doc or Sir ever did. I think it makes them feel ever the closer to Adam as a result. Seeing how he stepped into the breech to help Gerry means that they will all turn to him if the proverbial ever hits the fan for them. Still wondering who it was that wanted to make him a Sir... 

Love to Adam and Billy as always but giver Gerry a hug from Uncle Kev.:thankyou: 

  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Kev said:

I could do with a little of Adam rubbing off on me as well.... What? Oh... sorry my mind was in the gutter for a moment there.:devil:🤪

Dad seems to be fitting in with the boys better that Doc or Sir ever did. I think it makes them feel ever the closer to Adam as a result. Seeing how he stepped into the breech to help Gerry means that they will all turn to him if the proverbial ever hits the fan for them. Still wondering who it was that wanted to make him a Sir... 

Love to Adam and Billy as always but giver Gerry a hug from Uncle Kev.:thankyou: 

I will ask Adam to give Gerry a hug from  you. If you remember at the board meeting there was a LADY XX who gave him a gift for her son, I think she was behind it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The honorific 'Sir/Madam' marks a knighthood, the lowest level of recognition that a ruler can give a person, the honorific 'Dad/Mom' is of a MUCH higher ranking. David has surely earned that 60 different ways.

Now all we need to do is house cleaning among the people who have been living on the wines and seafood from the storeroom. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

The honorific 'Sir/Madam' marks a knighthood, the lowest level of recognition that a ruler can give a person, the honorific 'Dad/Mom' is of a MUCH higher ranking. David has surely earned that 60 different ways.

Now all we need to do is house cleaning among the people who have been living on the wines and seafood from the storeroom. 

That is true and I would rather me called Dad.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..