Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 943 Words
  • 1,687 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 142. Chapter 142

I took a walk to check on the lodges that were being built. Four had already been finished and furnished with a living room, a small kitchenette, and two bedrooms, each with a bathroom. Mom and Jen were in their glory furnishing these lodges and stocking them with linens. James was the first to occupy one, and he said they were very comfortable. Six more were under construction.

I had one concern, hunters. The land was posted, and I had a barb wire fence around all of my property, but that wouldn’t stop a hunter. It was more or less an acknowledgment of private land.

I did find out when Abe’s school was putting on their play. I loaded up the busses and, with the copter, made sure Evelyn, Mom, Dad, Jen, and Bill went. The children rode the bus with my boys.

As I suspected, it was a musical, and Abe did have an excellent voice. I wish I had 1 percent of his talent. I laughed whenever I sang, and Mom handed me a bucket for the tune I couldn’t carry.

After the play, we all congratulated Abe. “Abe, I had no idea that you could sing. I have a deal for you. I’ll sponsor a recording for you, and we shall see how it goes. I’ll send it to the radio stations and see what their people think. If it is positive, as soon as you graduate from college, I’ll see that you have a singing contract.”

He smiled and hugged me. Then he introduced us to his female counterpart. By the looks in their eyes, I knew a love bug had bitten both of them. I smiled and congratulated her on the performance as well.

Abe said they’d have to do another performance since they sold out for this performance, and more people wanted to see the play. I knew why it sold out as I watched the busses being loaded with the boys and the copter landing to take mom, dad, Jen, Bill, and Evelyn, who was all smiles, back to the cabin. Jer kept saying, that’s my brother.

I learned one thing from Abe and Jer, brothers that grow up under stressful conditions tend to have stronger bonds than brothers who did not need to stick together to survive. Their dad wasn’t the best of fathers, and because of that, the boys had to stick together to protect their mother.

 

Back at school, the boys wanted to form a choral group. I thought that was a good idea, so I spoke to the music department about getting a voice coach. They found a woman whose career changed due to an illness that prevented her from singing. She sang opera, and her voice no longer had the range, but she knew her singers. Over the next several weeks, she tested all of the boys and selected a choir of 43 boys from Kings College and Knights Academy.

Routine is the boredom of the active, and I found that to be true. The first five years, I spent a lot of time instituting changes, and now I see everything running smoothly. I’m bored.

“Adam, the architect is here with the final drawings. They look good.”

“Hi Henry, what do you have?”

“I copied the wing patterns from the University where we copied the extensions for the staff and students. Now with this enlargement, I’m suspecting we’ll need to enlarge these areas as well. So I’m suggesting an extension of the staff quarters and a new extension for students. Look, this is the extension for staff. We’ll use the existing staff building as the back wall. We will have to close off these windows, but we can place more windows in the front.”

“I’d like to run that through my staff. I don’t like to keep them in the dark, and they may have more comments based on their living in the extensions. I know from my experience, it’d be nice to have a sitting room for guests, at least for me. I like the idea you have presented. I’ll need the Board’s approval. We meet in two weeks, can you make it?”

“Yes, by then, I’ll try and get some feedback from your College staff.”

“Let’s get a cup of coffee.”

I found the easiest way to terminate a discussion or presentation is to get a cup of coffee.

 

“James, what did you think of his proposal?”

“I like it. Maybe we should think of putting a wing on this building.”

“Maybe we just need to enlarge the staff wing.” He laughed as he left my office. For families staying here who have children, one bedroom isn’t enough. They will need at least two bedrooms.

I was walking toward the Knights Academy when I spotted that old barn on the east side of the lot. I had a weird idea, but first, I needed to know who owned the property behind the barn.

“James, ask Annie to come and see me, please.”

Now I know I piqued his interest. “Hi Annie, in your old job at the county, who owns the property to the east of us. The one with that old barn on?”

“I don’t remember, but I can look it up. I know that the county-owned a lot of land when farmers either died or couldn’t pay their taxes. The property was to have been put out for bid, but I’m not sure.”

“I would appreciate you doing that, and let me know as soon as you can.”

Now I knew James would be in to see me before the day ended.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 19
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sounds like that land with the barn has just been sitting there not being used Adam could probably negotiate a good deal. 

Making it as a singer is a long shot even if you're good like Abe but if Adam knows the right person  who knows 

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, it looks like Adam is becoming a serious land baron ,he now owns quite a serious lot of land at the cabin and the school, his boys perform way and beyond the norm

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Singing was always a dream. always did the "Am Dram" thing and loved the musicals that I took part in. what surprised me the most was that I fell into back stage work more than on stage appearances and ended up becoming a Stage Manager and chief makeup artist and the theatres that I belonged to. If Abe wants to sing, it's hard work but he will be able to do it. Especially with Adam backing him. 

You just know that the new project is going to be the purchase of that land and barn... I wonder what Adam did next??? Hey that could be the title of a story... "What Adam did next". Loving it and can't wait for my next dose of Adam.🥰:thankyou:🥰

  • Like 4
Link to comment

My high school put on a musical each year.  I was in the pit orchestra for Camelot, The Sound of Music and one more that I can’t remember. I played violin. It was hard work, but so much fun!  I have many stories from those weeks working on those shows, including being buried to invisibility in a dry ice fog for a scene in Camelot to the great amusement of the audience each evening. :gikkle:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

My high school put on a musical each year.  I was in the pit orchestra for Camelot, The Sound of Music and one more that I can’t remember. I played violin. It was hard work, but so much fun!  I have many stories from those weeks working on those shows, including being buried to invisibility in a dry ice fog for a scene in Camelot to the great amusement of the audience each evening. :gikkle:

You experienced something that is unique. A chance to be a part of something unique  Dod you still play the violin.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kev said:

Singing was always a dream. always did the "Am Dram" thing and loved the musicals that I took part in. what surprised me the most was that I fell into back stage work more than on stage appearances and ended up becoming a Stage Manager and chief makeup artist and the theatres that I belonged to. If Abe wants to sing, it's hard work but he will be able to do it. Especially with Adam backing him. 

You just know that the new project is going to be the purchase of that land and barn... I wonder what Adam did next??? Hey that could be the title of a story... "What Adam did next". Loving it and can't wait for my next dose of Adam.🥰:thankyou:🥰

I seemed tombs some of the extracurricular activities when I was in High School. Maybe going to a small country school they didn't have the talent or more emphasis was p[laced on sports. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Adam will find something useful for the barn, when he owns it.

I think it will something to do with they Schools, I'm sure.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, it looks like Adam is becoming a serious land baron ,he now owns quite a serious lot of land at the cabin and the school, his boys perform way and beyond the norm

Yes and I'm sure the tax people are happy.  Land not opened do to pay taxes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

You experienced something that is unique. A chance to be a part of something unique  Dod you still play the violin.

I will always be able to play, just like I will always be able to play piano, but I am sorry to say I don’t take my instrument out very often.  Hopefully, now that I am retired I can get back to it. ☺️🎻

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

I will always be able to play, just like I will always be able to play piano, but I am sorry to say I don’t take my instrument out very often.  Hopefully, now that I am retired I can get back to it. ☺️🎻

I envy you.  I played the piano but I haven't been able to play since 2008.  I enjoyed playing and miss it. I hope you do get back to it.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So true, my best singing is in the shower stall!

As I suspected, it was a musical, and Abe did have an excellent voice. I wish I had 1 percent of his talent. I laughed whenever I sang, and Mom handed me a bucket for the tune I couldn’t carry.

Edited by drsawzall
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..