Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 898 Words
  • 59,020 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 7. Chapter 7

I drove back to my apartment, showered, shaved, and got dressed more or less for the day. There was a message on my phone to call my advisor. As I was leaving, I called him. He congratulated me on being the first Ph.D. awarded by the college. I thanked him and said I appreciated all of his help, “I knew it wasn’t easy to convince them.”

“Actually, it wasn’t me that convince them you were on the right track. When several of the teachers, students, and parents that you have helped sent them phone messages and notes, I think they felt they must accept your paper. I don’t think they all agree but the proof was in those notes and comments. What are your plans now?”

“An old friend is in town with his oldest and he needs help. So I guess as a doctor, I’m going to practice my craft on a young man.”

I headed to the hotel, sitting out front was Billy. “Hey old man, a little out of shape I say.”

“Being a family man I don’t have time to run all the time.”

“Billy listen to me, what is more important than that son of yours. Before you know it, he’ll be gone and you’ll regret not spending time with him. He runs like the wind. With your help, he could get a college scholarship and in my opinion, he could be an Olympic champion. He needs to know you love him and want to share his passion with him. You won’t be sorry. Here he comes.”

“Well, Billy how do you feel?”

“I feel fine, I was a little sore but the hot water relaxed me. Want to run again?”

“I’m going to start calling you wind. You are championship material no matter what your coach said. Tomorrow I’ll show you some warm-ups you can do in the locker room, in fact, Billy you can show him some we use to do. They’re good for a few laps but the warm-up you had this morning is good for more than 5 miles. What’s the longest distance you have run?”

“In school, maybe 10 laps before the cramps.”

“10 laps is about one mile, depending on the course. You ran over 5 miles today and no pain.”

“Wait till those boys at school see me after warm-ups.”

“They’ll probably tease you, but do them, and if your coach says anything I’ll give you a letter to give to him or the nurse.”

Billy started to laugh. “What’s so funny?”

“Guess who the school nurse is?”

“Jennifer?”

“Right on.”

“Better give it to your mom, she’ll see that you get your warm-up time. Then I want you to run like the wind and pass those boys up not once but several times. Think not ten laps but 30, 40 laps. You can do it. After school, you should measure a lap and see what the distance is for one lap.”

I took them to one of my favorite restaurants. “Billy, do you remember the breakfasts we would eat after a good run?”

“Yes, I had to cut back now since I’m not running much.”

“What kind of breakfast did you guys eat?”

I sat with my mouth closed while Billy told his son the kind of breakfast we ate. The waitress came over to take our order, Billy orders a standard breakfast of eggs, bacon, and toast. I waited to hear what Billy would order. He looked at the menu, showed me, and pointed to an item, I nodded my head, he could order it, when he was done I ordered my protein-balanced breakfast with a low amount of carbs. When she brought our orders, Billy and mine were almost identical whereas his father was so very different.

“Dad, mom said you shouldn’t eat fried eggs, too much fat as well as bacon.”

I just started to laugh. “Nothing changes for you Billy. Remember how my mom would say the same thing to you and then give you yogurt.”

Then the clincher, “Dad, you need to eat healthier and start to run with me. We hardly spend any time together and I want you around so you can spoil my children.”

I saw tears in Billy’s eyes. “Billy, if you help me I’ll change my eating habits. I’ll start running with you.”

Billy was out of his seat in a flash and was hugging his dad. “I love you dad”

“I love you too, son”

I signal the waitress over, asked her to take his food away, and bring him yogurt and 2 hard-boiled eggs. “Just add it to the bill.”

I moved so Billy could sit next to his dad. “What are you going to do today?”

“I’ve got a client in the next town who I must see. I guess I’ll take Billy with me.”

“You faker, you know you may have gotten fatter but you haven’t changed. Billy you’re going to spend the time with me, no need to ride around sitting in a car all day. And you, we’ll want to know what you eat for lunch. What time will you be back?”

“Around supper time”

“Ok, we’ll pick you up here at supper time. Let’s go Billy leave your dad with the bill since he cheated this morning.” I slipped Billy a 20 when we were leaving.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 18
  • Haha 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Can't wait to see Billy out lap his classmates. You have to think up a line for him to say like "Come on wimps can't keep up"Well your main characters aren't that arrogant but they would deserve it 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, getting both father and son onto the same page, doing things together can only be good

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Kev

Posted (edited)

Back with Adam, my morning story fix before a day in work... Things seem to be getting back to normal but now over here there seems to be another attack on the horizon, so goodness knows how long till another lockdown. (Wonder what advice Adam would give me?)

Adam and the way he has with people has me and I want more, so glad that he has his PhD but wondering now how he is going to apply it and what he will end up doing.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Can't wait to see Billy out lap his classmates. You have to think up a line for him to say like "Come on wimps can't keep up"Well your main characters aren't that arrogant but they would deserve it 

Yes, they wouldn't say that but I'm sure the temptation is there

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Billy is about to dish out the best sort of revenge!!!

He is, I think there will come a day when those who made fun of his workout will brag about knowing him, if Adam has his way and Billy enters the Olympics

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, getting both father and son onto the same page, doing things together can only be good

I agree, sometimes we get busy and forget thee simple things of life. Adam had to remind Bill, and two kids have gained something

  • Like 3
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Back with Adam, my morning story fix before a day in work... Things seem to be getting back to normal but now over here there seems to be another attack on the horizon, so goodness knows how long till another lockdown. (Wonder what advice Adam would give me?)

Adam and the way he has with people has me and I want more, so glad that he has his PhD but wondering now how he is going to apply it and what he will end up doing.

Stick with me on this story Kev. You are going to chuckle and feel at home.  Maybe you'll be in it, in a way.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 4
Link to comment

You’re going to have to come up with some way to differentiate between the two Billy’s!  I was getting confused there just before the diner! 😜

Loving the story.  Can’t wait to see the coach’s and the other runners’ reactions when Billy runs with barely a reaction. Bring on the Gold!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

You’re going to have to come up with some way to differentiate between the two Billy’s!  I was getting confused there just before the diner! 😜

Loving the story.  Can’t wait to see the coach’s and the other runners’ reactions when Billy runs with barely a reaction. Bring on the Gold!

It will happen, Bill and Billy. wait for it.  Adam recognizes the problem. When you talk to someone you are looking them in the eye and the similarity of names escapes you until you decided to record your converstation

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..