Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,022 Words
  • 2,293 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 134. Chapter 134

It seemed like summer was over very quickly when James showed up to start the school year. New students arrived at the Academy, and a week later, the College students arrived. The first week for both groups was orientation; I asked my seniors to welcome the new students. They did a fantastic job.

Then the routine began. We had our Square Table Squires, which our Knights took very seriously. I told Hans he had to build more Chalets. I was down 15 but up 38 students.

At the first opportunity, I bought a gross of metal forks for grilling. Dad bought four more boats, and I had a boathouse built to store the boats when not in use. I was ready to spend a weekend at the cabin.

It was fun seeing the new boys react to their first weekend at the cabin. Fishing was fun, and thankfully no one fell into the lake. A few of my new boys like running, so it didn’t take long for Johnny to take them under his wing.

Abe and Jer had to show me their test scores from the internet. “You boys are doing very well. Abe, we need to think pretty soon about you going to high school.” Mom looked at me and winked. She and Evelyn have gotten pretty close. It wouldn’t surprise me if she and the boys moved in with Mom and Dad, then the boys could go to a regular school.

Marie finally found someone to take over her clinic, but she had to promise to help out on weekends when she was in town. Abe got the buckets, waited, and soon one of the boys saw him. He came and took the buckets and headed up the trail to the apple tree, followed by the boys from last year. The boys from last year headed to the berry bushes. The new kids began to pick up the apples until one of the boys gave him a berry. Then forget the apples, it was berry picking time.

“Abe, those buckets will be empty.”

“That is okay dad, Jer and I picked several buckets, and they are in the freezer at the cabin. While they picked the berries, or I should say while they ate the berries, Abe and I started to pick apples. It wasn’t long the new troops came and help. Evan had to climb the tree and then pretend to fall. The boys laughed. Evan just grinned.”

Evan was going to be a junior this year, one more year, and he will finish the Academy. That evening as we sat around the table, having a late-night snack, “Evan, are you planning on going to the College when you graduate from the Academy?”

“You trying to get rid of me, dad?”

“No, never, I just wanted to know how much longer I had to keep an eye on you when my wife was around.”

Caleb came out with sausages for dinner. The boys seeing Caleb headed to the fire pit. I went and got the metal forks. I took one and put a sausage on it. “Dad, where did you get that?”

“I bought them for this. Do you want one?”

“Yes”

“Okay, go and ask Gramps to give you one for each of your brothers.”

I watched as he ran down to the cabin, then I saw Dad look at me. I held up my fork. They went into the garage and came out with all of the forks. “Why don’t you give each of the Knights a fork to use?”

As each Knight got a fork, they held it up and smiled. Of course, there is always a clown. Evan took the first sausage he cooked and gave it to Marie. She kissed him. Talk about a bantam rooster. They had nothing on Evan. He stuttered back to his spot. Marie and I just laughed.”

Going back to the Academy, the boys were happy. I whispered to Evan that if he wanted to impress my wife, he should compose a school song, but you can’t include her name in the song. I knew there would be two songs, one he would sing with Marie’s name.

Arriving back at the Academy, the boys looked tired. From all of that running, fishing and late night story telling around the fire pit, it made them tired. I think a few may have fallen asleep on the bus.

I didn’t expect them to be at breakfast in the morning, I told James to check and we might start later and extend class time past five to make up for the late start.

He came back and said the boys are up waiting for you. Marie came and we went to the Dining Hall for breakfast. “Dad, you missed your run this morning.”

“Thanks for reminding me Johnny. You Knights aren’t the only ones that get tired.” He laughed and patted me on my stomach. I knew my clothes were getting a little snug and he was right, I need to get back in the habit of running each morning.

Marie and I stood at the end of the line, as the boys passed with their food, Marie gave each one a kiss on their cheek, Evan went and got in line twice. He’s a rascal. I’m not sure what his role in life will be but I’m sure there will be a lot of tricks and humor.

As usual the boys stood untill Marie and I brought our food, then we all sat down together. “I’m surprised you are up so early. I thought the way you all looked last night you would sleep in.”

“Dad, I wish we had those beds in the old dorms, they are so comfortable. I got in bed and the first thing I knew it was morning.”

It was important for me to be sure that the boys had a good night’s sleep. I knew who would have a good mattress, so I contacted the firm that the Directors used and ordered the mattresses for the dorms and the staff apartments.

Sorry about the chapter mix up
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 12
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, Philippe said:

Oops @CLJobe duplicate chapter, just missing the first few chapters of 133.

I hope I have corrected it

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Deja Vu, this is Chapter 133.

I made a change, I hope it is now corrected

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Deja Vu, this is Chapter 133.

I made a change, I hope it is now corrected

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Philippe said:

Oops @CLJobe duplicate chapter, just missing the first few chapters of 133.

I made a change, I hope it is now corrected

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

It's deja vu all over again

I made a change, I hope it is now corrected

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

@chris191070says he can't wait for the song by Evan but how are we going to hear it?Maybe  @CLJobe can post it on YouTube LOL

That is an idea

 

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Nothing beats a great night sleep on a perfect mattress. Well rested minds make for engaged students. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Nothing beats a great night sleep on a perfect mattress. Well rested minds make for engaged students. 

We never give much credit to the lonely mattress, but when we have one that allows us to get a great sleep, we like to brag.  even if we find it hard to get out of bed. (Don't make a comment about being hard to get out of bed )😀

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

 ...being hard to get out of bed )😀

Yep, every morning! LOL!!! LOL!!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great start to the new school year. Evan is definitely the jokester.

Yes he is.  Seems there is always one in a class. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The new kids began to pick up the apples until one of the boys gave him a berry. Then forget the apples, it was berry picking time.

While they picked the berries, or I should say while they ate the berries, Abe and I started to pick apples. 

Oh, yeah.  I can see that happening! I can see them dropping the apples and running to the berry bushes to start picking them clean!  😆 Our niece was just telling us about taking her 1-year-old blueberry picking for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  He loves his fruit, especially blueberries (he’s definitely Nana’s boy! 😉) and strawberries!  She said there were more berries in his belly than in the bucket! 🫐

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

The new kids began to pick up the apples until one of the boys gave him a berry. Then forget the apples, it was berry picking time.

While they picked the berries, or I should say while they ate the berries, Abe and I started to pick apples. 

Oh, yeah.  I can see that happening! I can see them dropping the apples and running to the berry bushes to start picking them clean!  😆 Our niece was just telling us about taking her 1-year-old blueberry picking for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  He loves his fruit, especially blueberries (he’s definitely Nana’s boy! 😉) and strawberries!  She said there were more berries in his belly than in the bucket! 🫐

lol  yes I think that is one joy you never forget. Those noised will remember this for a .long time

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..