Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,156 Words
  • 2,282 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 22. Chapter 22

For the next four days, we had breakfast with Disney, went to the Park, had lunch in the Park, took a nap, then back to the Park for the afternoon and finishing with Dinner with Disney. I know Scotty rode each ride at least 10 times in those five days.

On the last day, after breakfast, I checked us out of the hotel, packed the car with our suitcases and several bags of souvenirs. I didn’t need to turn on the radio as Scotty lived every day over and over. He’d start and then he'd say, "Oh I forgot to mention," and then he’d repeat it all over again.

It was late in the evening when I pulled into Bill’s driveway. No sooner than I turned the motor off, Bill and Jennifer were at the passenger’s door. Scotty jumped into his dad’s arms and started to talk. Billy hugged his mom as they listened to Scotty.

“I’m guessing everything went well.”

“Yes, I think you might not get much sleep tonight.”

“Come on in, I have coffee and an apple pie I baked today. You can bring us up on your vacation.”

I followed Jennifer into the kitchen, “I’m not sure if you and Bill realize what you have. I’m hoping someday I’ll have what you have. It was a joy to have them with me. I don’t think there was anyone we came in contact with that didn’t make a fuss over Scotty. I feel sorry for you because you’re going to hear about this trip for a long time.”

“We missed them. Bill was ready to take time off and head to Disney to get the kids.”

“You need to do that. Scotty will be an excellent tour guide.”]

“We were a little concerned about him acting up and getting on your nerves.”

“You didn’t need to worry. He was perfect for a 7-year-old. Never complained, ate healthy food, and slept like a log. We tired him out and no sooner did he get in bed, he was out.”

“Mom, I have some pictures. Uncle Adam said I should print them off and maybe you can put them into an album or something.”

“That’s a great idea, we can go and get an album tomorrow.”

“I need photo quality paper as well so I can print them.”

“I got to get going. Mom and Dad are expecting me. Tell Bill we run tomorrow at 5.”

Arriving home, my mom and dad wanted to know all about the trip. I told them about my meeting with the Director of the Disney Training School, and then about Scotty. “I never thought I’d miss having kids. I interact with a lot of kids through tutoring and school, but with Scotty and Billy, it was different. I have been to Disney many times, but this was the first time I saw it through a seven-year-old pair of eyes. I enjoyed having them with me.” Mom just smiled.

“Son, while you were gone, Mom and I talked about having a place where we could go for a vacation or just to get away for a while. We have the use of Steve’s cabin at the ocean so we thought about a cabin in the mountains. What do you think?”

“I think that would be a great idea. I’m sure there would be trails that I could run on and if there is a lake we can go fishing as we do at the ocean.”

“Well, your mom and I are glad you agree. We put a bid on a place and we’re just waiting until you to come back to close.”

“Boy, you guys move fast. So when can I see this place?”

“How about tomorrow?”

“Great, I’m running with Bill and probably Billy tomorrow at 5, and then we can go after breakfast.”

I was excited about having a place in the mountains but had I known what would happen, I may have been even happier.

Five o’clock comes early but I was ready, I changed into my running clothes and shoes, grabbed a glass of orange juice, and headed to Bill’s place. I no sooner pulled into their driveway when the door opened and Bill and Billy were ready to do warm-ups.

Running in the morning was always a way to start the day for me. I always felt great after a run and for me, it was the way to start the day.

“What’s up with your folks? Isn’t your dad about ready to retire?”

“I’m not sure if he’s ever going to retire. He’s going to buy a cabin in the mountains as a retreat. We use Steve’s cabin at the ocean so this will be a change.”

“When are you going to see it?”

“We’re going to drive up right after breakfast.”

“You know I have to approve.”

“I’ll let you know and maybe we can take the boys and go up for a weekend. I haven’t seen it yet and I’m not sure what it’s like. It may be a one-room shack.”

“I doubt that your dad would buy a one-room shack.”

“Are you trying to get an invitation to go with us today?”

“I’d like to but I can’t take the time from work this week. But next week is a possibility.”

“Uncle Adam, can I go with you today?”

“Sure Billy, but I think we’ll need to take someone else.”

Bill started to laugh. “He may be sleeping. He kept us up talking about his special trip. All he kept saying was Uncle Adam this and Uncle Adam that.”

“He’s a great kid Bill. Jennifer is doing a great job.”

Before he had the chance to swat me, I kicked it up and pulled in front of him, behind Billy, who looked like he was loping along instead of running. It took Bill a few minutes to realize what I had done, soon he caught up to me. “You know I miss these early runs we use to do.”

“You shouldn’t. You have a partner who would love to run with you. It won’t be too long before he’s off to college, you should use this time to develop a lifetime bond.”

“How come you never got married? You could have a son Billy’s age jogging with you.”

“I never found the right girl and then school took up a lot of my time. I wanted to teach and that was the most important thing for me. It’s not that I don’t want to get married and have a family but I haven’t met that special person. When I do, I’ll get married and you can be my best man.”

“Hey, I wanted to be your best man.”

“Probably by the time I meet that special person you will be a celebrity after winning your gold medals. Won’t have time for me.”

“Oh yes I will, you’ll be my trainer.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, Chris L said:

One never realizes what they're missing until they have it and it's gone! 😢

a pearl of wisdom . I always thought if I had a. crystal ball, I would avoid making mistakes. Not true, knowing the future only lets you make other mistakes. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
5 hours ago, CLJobe said:

a pearl of wisdom . I always thought if I had a. crystal ball, I would avoid making mistakes. Not true, knowing the future only lets you make other mistakes. 

I'm reading a story right now where that is a recurring theme.We can't really prove that one way or another but I suspect you're right.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I suspect that Uncle Adam may be more than a bit open to seeking the 'right' partner, she may be somewhere close by!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

I suspect that Uncle Adam may be more than a bit open to seeking the 'right' partner, she may be somewhere close by!!

He's open but nothing has rung his bell yet

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I'm reading a story right now where that is a recurring theme.We can't really prove that one way or another but I suspect you're right.

🙂

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I would love a cabin in the mountains, :facepalm:But in England there's is no real mountains... only big hills!:rofl:Climbed a few of them and even explored the caves system at Cheddar, but never found a cabin in the mountains. Loving Scotty, he reminds me of my oldest son when he was young. now he has a daughter Billy's age... I feel old😂😂😂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Kev said:

I would love a cabin in the mountains, :facepalm:But in England there's is no real mountains... only big hills!:rofl:Climbed a few of them and even explored the caves system at Cheddar, but never found a cabin in the mountains. Loving Scotty, he reminds me of my oldest son when he was young. now he has a daughter Billy's age... I feel old😂😂😂

Maybe you should try Scotland.  They must have a few mountains 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, mfa607 said:

Amazing chapter, kudos!

Thank you. I'm going to post you comment 🙂

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, I recall the saying "if only we had hindsight as foresight we would be doing things differently" 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, I recall the saying "if only we had hindsight as foresight we would be doing things differently" 

I think we all have said that before. Life seems tol thrive on that saying because we all do if

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Oh great a new adventure with a cabin in the mountains and by the sounds of it maybe a new partner for Unca Adam 

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Bft said:

Oh great a new adventure with a cabin in the mountains and by the sounds of it maybe a new partner for Unca Adam 

possible.  The parents are old friends

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..