Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,035 Words
  • 2,216 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 107. Chapter 107

With a hug and a kiss, I headed to my office. “James, I have three things I want to get done today. Meet with the architect, meet with Marcel on the status of the college kitchen and begin sending letters to potential staff. I need to call Henry, right after I have my second cup of coffee. Be right back.”

I stopped a few times to talk to staff on the way back. I hope that the staff I’ll be able to hire for the college, is as good as the staff I have now at the Academy. Lawrence stopped me, “Sir can we meet sometime today?”

“I’ll ask James to fit you in, I have a pretty busy schedule but I’ll find some time for you.”

Walking into my office, “James, see if you can squeeze in a meeting with Lawrence today. I suspect it’ll have to do with the college so I expect there will be six.”

I called Henry, “Good morning, Henry… Yes, everything is fine and yes married life is just fine as well…Henry, it appears that the college will be ready in the Fall, ...Yes, you are ahead of me…are you applying?..well you could be the dean of the college… I worked for you…Yes, I’m starting to look for staff…No, rather than advertise I thought I would contact a few that attended my seminars…I don’t want to advertise I think I can be more selective without advertising…well, that is why I called you… if you have anyone to recommend, I’ll consider them…No, they do not have to be US citizens, several of the ones I have identified are from Europe… Ok good, you need to drive up and take a look at what we have here… come on Friday and you can spend the weekend at the cabin…good, let me know.

“Isn’t that one of your old professors?”

“Yes, he was the one who fought for my Ph.D. I wouldn’t mind him running the college for me. But I don’t think that will happen. I’ll get some good referrals from him. Do you have the list of seminar attendees?”

For the next hour, I reviewed the list. For those that held my interest, I had James compose a letter for my signature and then send it to them.

The architect wanted to review the basement rooms which I called the Dungeon. We talked about the layout and how to make it appear as a dungeon without having cells. He had an idea of placing fake windows high in the wall and covering them with bars, also the walls would be a rough block. On the walls, as you enter the dungeon, there would be tools of torture. A dumbwaiter with an old bucket would be used to convey food and drinks from the kitchen to the dungeon. “I think this will be perfect. Is there a possibility to have some form of lamps on the walls to look like sconces?”

“Yes, they even make the bulb look like a flame and they will flicker.”

“Great, how are doing with the dorms for the Academy?”

“We’ll start on them next week. The construction of the dorms for the college is done except for the insides. We will need to work on putting the finishing touches and that should take another three months to do it all. I can move the construction crew over there next week. Monday, I’ll start laying out the area. Probably have to move some of the plants again.”

“I’ll talk to Charlie about that. This is great, I plan on opening the college for the fall semester and I’ll need the extra dorms for the Academy as well.”

 

“James, here’s a summary of the meeting, file it with the architect’s plans. See if I can meet with Lawrence now. I’ll meet with Marcel right after dinner and I need to see Gerry. Anton slept in the dorm and I wondered how it went.”

“How old is Anton?”

“Good question, I think he is 12. I’ll ask Hans, he’ll know.”

I started to sign invoices, I need to discuss this with Dad. Maybe I will go to the cabin this week.

“Come in Lawrence, how may I help you?”

“Sir, we were wondering when the dorms would be available?”

“The architect said the construction is finished and now the inside work needs to be done. It’ll be ready when you return in the fall.” I knew there was more to come.

“May we pick out our own rooms?”

“Yes, seeing you are already enrolled, do you have rooms already picked out?”

“We saw the layout and we’d like the top floor and the dorms closest to the school.”

“I don’t see a problem with that. Just post your name on the doors as the rooms are finished. Now, what is it you really wanted to know?”

“We heard there will be a place for students to meet, and being older we wonder if we would be able to drink alcoholic beverages?”

“If you mean beer and wine, yes but in moderation. The name of the student union is The Dungeon and will be in the basement of the college.”

All six boys smiled, “Of course, you’ll need your parent's permission.” Then I laughed.

“Come, let’s go to dinner.”

I met Marie and Doc as I was entering the Dining Hall. “I think we’ll be going to the cabin this weekend.” Marie’s smiled confirmed it for me.

I’m amazed at how the boys act, first through the line was Lawrence carrying Anton followed by Gerry carrying his tray. Marie and I watched holding hands, “I don’t know how you do it, but it's sort of a miracle how these boys show you respect.”

“It’s no miracle Doc, I show the boys that I care about them and in some cases, they look upon me as the parent who is absent. Love does work wonders.” I felt the squeeze on my hand from Marie.

“I was the last one through the line, as always. The boys waited until I arrived at the table, they stood for a silent moment, then we all sat together.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 23
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

If Adam thought he was busy now, just wait a few months, and say a prayer for Anton wishing for a speedy recovery!

Feel Better Get Well Soon GIF by echilibrultau

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Lawrence and the other 5 who will be attending the college I guess they have their priorities .Beer. Adam better be prepared for when spring break comes

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

If Adam thought he was busy now, just wait a few months, and say a prayer for Anton wishing for a speedy recovery!

Feel Better Get Well Soon GIF by echilibrultau

Yes, once the college opens, he will be busy. I expect he will appoint someone to head up the college, reporting to him. I think he will be involved as an advisor with an over seeing roll. I believe Anton will have a successful recovery and eventually have a major role in Gerry's life as Prince.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Lawrence and the other 5 who will be attending the college I guess they have their priorities .Beer. Adam better be prepared for when spring break comes

I am to sure that the Academy and the College will observe "spring break" as the universities in USA. The makeup of the students is predominately European although I think there are some students from the mid-east.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Totally loving these boys, Adam has aides in a guises and in all places. Lawrence is turning into quite a big brother for Anton and event though he is a future ruler Gerry isn't too up himself not to carry the tray for Anton. Love surely shines out of these boys... I wonder if it does when they are home with their parents?

We know very little about the parents but one has to wonder what they would think if they saw Lawrence stepping in and caring for Anton like he is. I see leaders in the making here... Can we nick on please? Bo Jo has worn out his invitation to the party me thinks.:devil::fight:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Kev said:

Totally loving these boys, Adam has aides in a guises and in all places. Lawrence is turning into quite a big brother for Anton and event though he is a future ruler Gerry isn't too up himself not to carry the tray for Anton. Love surely shines out of these boys... I wonder if it does when they are home with their parents?

We know very little about the parents but one has to wonder what they would think if they saw Lawrence stepping in and caring for Anton like he is. I see leaders in the making here... Can we nick on please? Bo Jo has worn out his invitation to the party me thinks.:devil::fight:

Unlike most portrayers of young people who are privilege, Adam's boys are different. I have seen and read stories of privilege people who we would say look down on the common  folks, nose so high in the air if caught in a rain storm would drown. There was one of these people in an earlier chapter, recall the first seminar. Away from those types of people and being young, I don't think they will ever lose the lessons taught by Adam 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..