Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,165 Words
  • 51,789 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 10. Chapter 10

The next morning, I spent time with Billy showing him some preliminary warm-ups before the warm-ups on the field. “You know if you could get to your mom before you go to the gym, you could do a lot of warm-ups there and then just top them off at the gym. But remember, regardless of what the other guys say, warm up like we did yesterday and this morning. In fact, you should do these warm-ups every day whether you run or not. Now let’s warm-up so I can beat you.”

“No way old man”

“You’re on”

We did warm-up, all three of us, and then one of the other hotel guests ask to join us. So all four of us headed out to our 5-mile run. Billy led the way and Bill led the rear. The run was good until the last half mile, Billy poured it on and I tried to keep up. Youth always win but I did catch up on the cool down run. Billy just laughed as he called me an old man, I knew he was kidding. Bill used the last mile as his cool-down run. The other hotel guest thanked us and left.

“How do you feel Billy?”

“I feel good. I probably could go another couple of miles, not like you old folks.”

I started to chase him as he ran into the hotel. Bill caught up, “You are going to need a lot of practice to keep up with your son. He has the capability of being a champion runner. Work with him, Bill.”

Puffing, Bill just nodded his head.

“When are you leaving?”

“After lunch”

“Ok, I’ll see you at lunch.” I left to go home, shower, and dress for lunch.

“The school had called and left a message for me to call back. I did and the news wasn’t good. One of my special students was in an accident and in the hospital. His dad tried to call me and he left the message with the school.

I had time before lunch so I headed to the hospital. When I arrived his dad saw me, “Adam, I’m glad you’re here. He’s concerned about his schooling. That is the last thing he needs to think about.”

“May I see him?”

“Sure follow me.” I followed him, upon entering I saw the boy in slings and with his head bandaged.

“Hi Bret, looked like you had a run of bad luck. Your dad said you are concerned about your schooling. Don’t be, I’ll work with you as soon as you start feeling better and you’ll be back to school smarter than when you left, that you can count on. Now just start concentrating on getting better. I’ll go to your school and get your books and find out where you are. By the time you’re out of these swings, you’ll have finished those books and started on next year's books.”

I smiled as his face showed a slight smile, I knew it hurt him to do that. I squeezed his hand, “I have some friends in town and I promised to see them before they leave. Then I’ll go to your school and get your books and head back here.”

I let his dad know what I was going to do and to make sure the hospital will let me spend time with him. “He’s going to be ok.”

I drove to the hotel in time for lunch. We ate in the hotel, Billy had his book and was telling his dad about the book. Bill, mouthed “Are you sure this is my Billy?”

“I laughed, when lunch was over I told them that one of my students got hurt and I need to do some errands for him. “Billy, remember the warm-ups and I’ll bet you that after you show them how fast you are, they’ll all want to know what you’re doing.”

“Bill, Jen, take care of this treasure because I want to see him get his Olympic Medal.”

I got a hug from Bill and Jen, “Adam, can I come back?”

I just nodded my head yes, “anytime”

I left them, thinking I may not be too wrong when I asked to see his Olympic medal, the kid could run. I stopped at Bret’s school, spoke to the principal, picked up his books and the current assignments. I smiled to myself knowing that Bret will end up moving into the accelerated classes or skip a grade. I also was glad that this will be a major test of my teaching methods.

Approaching the hospital, I saw Bret’s father leaving. “I need to run home for a few minutes. I waited until I saw you before I left, that’ll give you some time with Bret. He’s excited to have you as his teacher.”

“I hope I live up to his expectations.”

Walking into Bret’s room, I saw the attempt of a smile as he saw me. “I have all of your books and assignments. As soon as you start feeling better, we’ll begin to hit those books. But for now, you need to concentrate on getting better.”

I saw tears in his eyes, I took some tissue and wiped his eyes. Looking at Bret I envied his father. The kid had the potential to go far, he was bright and had a positive outlook on life, willing to try anything, at least as far as schoolwork went. I wasn’t familiar with his home life as I tutored him at school. His dad seemed like a nice guy, but you never know. I was very curious about how Bret ended up in the hospital. While sitting there chatting to Bret, it was a one-way chat, me to him as his mouth was wired shut, his doctor came to check on him. I introduced myself as he was looking at the stack of books on the table by his bed.

“Are you the teacher that his dad spoke about?”

“Yes, I’m Adam Blake and I’m Bret’s tutor. How bad is he and when do you think we may start on his schooling.”

“That may be hard to answer, he has had several serious injuries. It’s going to take a long time for him to return to school.”

“I’m committed to seeing that he doesn’t miss any lessons and in fact, he’ll be ahead of his class when I’m finished.”

I’m sure the doctor saw Bret’s attempt at a smile, “That might be a good incentive for Bret to hurry up and get well.” Off to the side as the doctor was leaving, “His attitude will help the healing process, a negative attitude defeats the desire to get better so with his current attitude we’ll see a very positive progression of his healing. I’d be concerned if you didn’t keep your commitment to helping him. I think he likes you and as long as you’re here, that’ll help. I’ll leave a note to permit you unlimited time with Bret. Together we’ll get him out of here.”

As the doctor left Bret’s dad returned. “Do you mind telling me how Bret ended up in this condition?”

“No, Bret has a strong definition of good and bad. He has been in scraps before when he felt someone was being picked on or being unfairly accused.”

“So what happened this time, it looks like someone or some kids worked him over.”

“As far as we can determine until he can talk, he was waylaid by several boys who he had fought with protecting other kids. It was one of those kids who thought something was up and called the police. By the time they arrived, Bret was beaten as you see him now. If the police hadn’t arrived he probably wouldn’t have lived.”

I couldn’t believe what his father said. “Were the police able to arrest the boys who did this?”

“Yes, but since they are juveniles, their names have been kept confidential. That is just a legal position because the boy who called the police I’m sure has told all of their friends.”

As we sat there chatting, a group of kids came to see Bret. One was a pretty girl who took Bret’s hand and kissed him on the cheek. “That’s Beth, she’s Bret’s girlfriend. Kids tease them calling them B&B, bed and bath. She’s a nice girl, we have known her family for several years. They started to go together just after Bret’s mother died. She helped him through those times and I expect they’ll be together for a long time.”

“Hi, I’m Beth, Bret has talked a lot about you tutoring him. He said I should meet you.”

“I’m glad to meet you, Beth. Do you think between you and I, we can get him back on his feet?”

“I’ll do my best. We have been together for over a year. School isn’t the same and everyone at our lunch table misses him.”

“Did you tell him that?”

“Yes, that’s when he pointed to you, mouthed the word tutor so I knew who you were.”

I looked at Bret and there was that weak smile again. I nodded and gave him thumbs up. He knew I approved of his girlfriend, although I didn’t need to approve as it wasn’t any of my business, I think he wanted me to approve. So I did.

Each day I’d visit Bret and stay with him most of the day. I watched as bandages and stitches were removed and then arms and legs were put into casts. He was improving every day. He still had a few operations to undergo that were scheduled over the next few weeks.

As soon as he was able to talk, we began hitting the books. When he wasn’t able to talk, I read to him from the books. History appeared to be his favorite, I think we finished that book first.

As yearly assignments were finished, the teacher at his school would determine his overall exam. I had a hard time getting them to do this, they wanted to go charter by chapter. They soon, with a lot of disbelief, agreed to make an exam to cover all of the chapters. I knew what blue books were from college, but one subject now would cover several blue books.

History was the first test we attempted. Being a certified teacher with a doctorate in education, I had no problem monitoring the exams. I broke the tests down into sections, we did one section each day until all four sections were completed. I didn’t grade the tests. When they were done, he put them into an envelope that he sealed and I delivered to the school. History he passed with flying colors. I think in talking to Beth, that the teacher used the tests for Bret, broken down to correspond to chapters in their book, as tests for the class. English involved several writings, Bret’s choice, which had to have a minimum “word count but could be any subject he wanted. Scoring was based on content, proper use of verbs, vocabulary, and general overall presentation. Bret wasn’t allowed to use any outside source except he could request articles on his subjects. Once doing this, his paper would be scanned, looking for sections that would indicate he had copied from the papers. I knew that this wasn’t going to be a problem for him. I was surprised at some of his topics, brutality in schools, which was a first-hand account, home influences, and one I really smiled at, teachers impact on students progress. I think when the English teacher read that paper, she must have been offended a little, she asked to talk to me thinking I told him what to write. I did meet with her and I wasn’t a very polite person, I’m afraid. Questioning the integrity of a student is one thing but questioning my integrity was another.

“My method of teaching may not be the standard teaching methods taught in schools today, but don’t you or anyone else question my integrity. I’ll be glad to teach you my methods of teaching or you could enroll in one of my classes. But I do not condone cheating nor do I cheat.” I think I must have raised my voice a little as she apologized. Bret received a good grade and some of his papers were posted in the school paper, particularly those on bullying.

By the time Bret was ready to be discharged he had completed all of his studies and started on the next year's studies. He smiled, “I guess you were right, by the time school starts I’ll be well ahead of my next year. With your help this summer, I can skip a grade.”

“Is that what you want to do, skip a grade?”

“Yes, it’ll mean I can start college one year earlier.”

“I’ll do all I can to help you but you’ll have to do the work."

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 17
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That teacher had a lot of nerve questioning Adam's integrity. It also seems like that school has other problems for those thugs to give Bret such a severe beating Bret might be better being home schooled if the school can't keep him safe 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It is really exciting when you meet someone who wants to learn ,you give all the help you can to help them succeed, he certainly put that teacher back in her little box

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

That teacher had a lot of nerve questioning Adam's integrity. It also seems like that school has other problems for those thugs to give Bret such a severe beating Bret might be better being home schooled if the school can't keep him safe 

 

There are some teachers that cannot accept any facts that would challenge their preformed conclusions. Obviously this teacher did not think too highly of Bret to challenge his work.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, mikedup said:

It is really exciting when you meet someone who wants to learn ,you give all the help you can to help them succeed, he certainly put that teacher back in her little box

It is and for a teacher that is an unpaid high.  I know of no teacher that didn't smile when a student, considered by their peers as being dumb, did well on a test. I remember a teacher that would accidentally drop a paper with an A on it on another students desk, then claim it was a mistake, take the paper back and drop the correct one. The paper she took back, was the student who  was mocked by his classmates as being stupid.. People learn at different rates, that goes for adults as well.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

"The wheels of progress unhindered by efficiency" The nerve of that archaic mound is typical of the stoic rhetoric of todays teaching. I, like Adam and many, are so supportive to enriching minds and providing every opportunity as opposed to teaching to the lowest common denominator and keeping everyone behind. Ok, off my soapbox now. LOL!!! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Is it Timmy or is it Bret? sorry got a little confused there... Timmy is only mentioned once and then it become Bret, I guess that what come of having a popular second name, like mine (DORK). Sorry loving Adam and the way he steps right in to help and look after Bret... Still think he could marry a brit, I know just the one he needs🤓

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Chris L said:

"The wheels of progress unhindered by efficiency" The nerve of that archaic mound is typical of the stoic rhetoric of todays teaching. I, like Adam and many, are so supportive to enriching minds and providing every opportunity as opposed to teaching to the lowest common denominator and keeping everyone behind. Ok, off my soapbox now. LOL!!! 

It is got bad awe haven't met in person. We could chat all night over today's teaching as compared to Adam's views. For the record, being ion a soap box isn't bad, a lot of people became famous for their 'soap box' dialogues.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Kev said:

Is it Timmy or is it Bret? sorry got a little confused there... Timmy is only mentioned once and then it become Bret, I guess that what come of having a popular second name, like mine (DORK). Sorry loving Adam and the way he steps right in to help and look after Bret... Still think he could marry a brit, I know just the one he needs🤓

These chapters are designed to highlight Adam's tweeting philosophy. Timmy was the history of the Indian wars, and Bret is the kid in the hospital.  As for now. Adam isn't interested in women for marriage. so maybe a English lass may still have a chance.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, CLJobe said:

These chapters are designed to highlight Adam's tweeting philosophy. Timmy was the history of the Indian wars, and Bret is the kid in the hospital.  As for now. Adam isn't interested in women for marriage. so maybe a English lass may still have a chance.

Apparently, Adam is getting so busy, he's starting to get his student's names mixed up -- he called the boy in the hospital "Jimmy."

"“Hi Timmy, looked like you had a run of bad luck. Your dad said you are concerned about your schooling."

Link to comment
4 hours ago, frosenblum said:

Apparently, Adam is getting so busy, he's starting to get his student's names mixed up -- he called the boy in the hospital "Jimmy."

"“Hi Timmy, looked like you had a run of bad luck. Your dad said you are concerned about your schooling."

Thank you, it has been corrected

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..