Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 795 Words
  • 1,932 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 156. Chapter 156

By the time of the next Board meeting, the construction of the Clinic was completed. Now it was up to the doctors to start ordering equipment. The boys volunteered to help move the equipment from the separate medical facilities into the new building. I asked Able to paint a caduceus over the left door and the Rod of Asclepius over the right door. He painted ‘clinic’ between the two images.

At the Board meeting, I presented the plans for the girls’ Academy. It essentially was the original plans for the Academy. I didn’t think we’d have the enrollment that we had with the boys. I had Henry plan on expansion if needed.

James made a presentation showing what the initial enrollment would be by class. “This enrollment chart assumes that the school will be constructed in 30 months. Initially, the installation will be done in two ways. The girls who would normally move on to high school will be accepted directly. The girls who are transferring will be given a one-week orientation before their classes will start. The orientation is designed to introduce our teaching methods, our expectations, and our rules. We will recruit staff in time to open the school, and they will be required to attend one of my seminars.”

“I’d like you to take a package that James has made for each of you home. Study it, send me your questions and comments. I’m going to call a special Board meeting to consider this project. I’d like for you to be honest in your evaluation.”

My English friend, “I’m all for it. In England, we have a separate school for boys and girls. I think they work very well. The only question I have is, how is the construction going to be funded.”

“You’ll find that information in the package and the estimated tuition fees.”

Walking back to my office with Richard, “Adam, I’m glad you did this. The Board supports you, and I think fairness should be the game.”

“The package is an open book except for the funding by our unknown benefactor. I had to promise the individual that I would protect his identity.”

We both laughed. I had no secrets from Richard.

Walking to the Academy, I saw Stephan running the track with the coach. “Look there, a new gold medal runner for the Prince.”

“Who is that?”

“His name is Stephan Weber. He ran with us the last time I was home. He’s good.”

“Is Billy going to run as well?”

“Yes, we’ll have two runners unless Hans finds more. When I’m over there, I’ll check out more of the runners. I want to identify a female so we can participate in the girls’ games as well.”

“You have two years before the games. That should give you enough time to find a female runner. Training may be a problem.”

“No, if I can identify potential, I’ll hire a trainer.”

We stopped at the cafeteria for coffee. “Do you have a dining hall with a kitchen in the plans?”

“Yes, I’m toying with the idea of having the kitchens prepare the food and equip the kitchen for the girls with warmers, at least to start with. If we have problems, I’ll have the space for a kitchen.”

“I know you, and I’ll bet you have a theme in mind.”

“You know me too well. Yes, I have a theme in mind. If you want to get an idea, check out Hypatia.”

I knew Richard would be calling in the next few days.

The clinic was ready, Able had painted the signs, and he did a great job. The boys did their share by helping the move. I kept one secretary for the clinic and the other I used as a floating secretary, filling in as needed. I’ll need her for the girls’ school.

Before the scheduled Board meeting, I received positive confirmation from the members. Richard said he has never seen such a complete disclosure. “You must want this school. You’ll have your approval.”

I expected approval. That is why I finalized the architect drawings. He laughed when I said I wanted a Greek garden between the property and the land owned by the Academy and Kings College. I had to show him what a Greek garden looked like, and I wanted it to be aged. I had Able to start looking at Greek art to paint for the dining room. I suggested the library at Alexandria.

Now I needed a phrase for the wall similar to the Knights Code. I wasn’t sure I’d find one, but if I can’t, I’ll make one.

That evening I told Marie about the school, and she told me about the clinic. Adam and Little Marie just sat there and listened.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 19
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Here's the Greek Heroic Code: aristos, arete, and aristeia - these three words embody what a hero is regardless of gender. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Here's the Greek Heroic Code: aristos, arete, and aristeia - these three words embody what a hero is regardless of gender. 

How true, I decided to look at this a bit closer and this is what I found...

 

A hero is one who willingly and eagerly confronts death, and three Greek words embody the heroic code: aristos, arete, and aristeia.

Aristos is being the best at whatever is called for by the situation: in wartime, killing; in peacetime, husbandry; in seamanship, steering.

To be known as the best requires aristeia--exploits which gain for the warrior the prestige of having comrades consider him possessed of arete, merit.

Arete can only be bestowed by others, not by self. In the world of the Iliad what the world thinks of you is far more important than what you think of yourself.

From the rest of the article was this...pay attention to the last sentences

The Iliad is not about the Trojan War; that war lasted ten years and the central actions of the poem occupy only a few weeks. War brutalizes men and women, wounds their bodies and minds, enslaves and kills them. This is Homer's message as he focuses on one hero, Achilleus, to demonstrate wrath's destruction of self and others. Achilleus' moral journey in the Iliad brings him face to face with his own humanity, leading him to a startling and essentially unheroic act of generosity toward his enemy. When he gives Priam the dead and mutilated body of Hektor, Achilleus stands for a few moments on the threshold of a different civilization, as Homer shows wrath dissolved through compassion, and human feeling overcoming the stringent heroic code of conformity.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, I think that construction will proceed rapidly and once word gets out it will rapidly fill up 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Adam is getting it done.I'm curious what other ideas and projects he's going to have in the future.

I'm not sure what he will come up with. I know when he isn't busy he gets bored easily

  • Like 3
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Adam's presentation to the board got him what he wanted 

Yes, but I think the number of requests for admission helped as well as his English friend's comment

  • Like 3
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

How true, I decided to look at this a bit closer and this is what I found...

 

A hero is one who willingly and eagerly confronts death, and three Greek words embody the heroic code: aristos, arete, and aristeia.

Aristos is being the best at whatever is called for by the situation: in wartime, killing; in peacetime, husbandry; in seamanship, steering.

To be known as the best requires aristeia--exploits which gain for the warrior the prestige of having comrades consider him possessed of arete, merit.

Arete can only be bestowed by others, not by self. In the world of the Iliad what the world thinks of you is far more important than what you think of yourself.

From the rest of the article was this...pay attention to the last sentences

The Iliad is not about the Trojan War; that war lasted ten years and the central actions of the poem occupy only a few weeks. War brutalizes men and women, wounds their bodies and minds, enslaves and kills them. This is Homer's message as he focuses on one hero, Achilleus, to demonstrate wrath's destruction of self and others. Achilleus' moral journey in the Iliad brings him face to face with his own humanity, leading him to a startling and essentially unheroic act of generosity toward his enemy. When he gives Priam the dead and mutilated body of Hektor, Achilleus stands for a few moments on the threshold of a different civilization, as Homer shows wrath dissolved through compassion, and human feeling overcoming the stringent heroic code of conformity.

I have read the lliad several years ago. I find the Greek style of living at that time one of challenge and comradeship that has shaped the future. Greek literature should be required reading in all schools.  I think when I was in school, teachers were either unaware of Greek literature or afraid of it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, I think that construction will proceed rapidly and once word gets out it will rapidly fill up 

I believe that Adam has enough requests for admittance to guaranteed the school will be a success.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Awesome chapter as the world of Adam prepares to expand... You just know things will work out for his family and his country will have multiple golds in the next games...little Marie and Adam just sat and listened in? I can see them becoming the ne Adam and Marie as they grow and carrying on the mission that their parents have in life.... so good... Loving the story and of course still in love with Adam🥰

 As for the saying ... "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" (Aristotle)... Keeping with Hypatia the following is credited to her, "To rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world, is just as base as to use force... Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Kev said:

Awesome chapter as the world of Adam prepares to expand... You just know things will work out for his family and his country will have multiple golds in the next games...little Marie and Adam just sat and listened in? I can see them becoming the ne Adam and Marie as they grow and carrying on the mission that their parents have in life.... so good... Loving the story and of course still in love with Adam🥰

 As for the saying ... "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" (Aristotle)... Keeping with Hypatia the following is credited to her, "To rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world, is just as base as to use force... Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." 

I have you becoming a philosopher, great. I think picking Hypatia, a woman who broke the mold, was the right person to build the college around.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well, it seems like Adam has matured in his ideas about the girls and providing them with an education equal to that that the boys are receiving (we’ll see when classes are actually organized), but now it seems that some of the Board members need a little schooling!  They are now looking at the Academy as a marketplace for spouses for their boys!   Sheesh!  This old world attitude really needs to go the way of the dodo, quickly!  They may serve on the governing Board of these institutions, but these people don’t really have an inkling of what the schools mean to the kids who attend them.  That’s obvious by their shock with the number of applications to a girl’s Academy that is still in the planning stages and the applications for future children who haven’t even been conceived!  They are starting to get the idea, hopefully!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..