Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,350 Words
  • 2,311 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 87. Chapter 87

“Boy’s let's go and sit on the porch, see if you can identify the animals from the sound.”

The boys made a game out of it, I watched until Marie came out, “I have the pictures,” that stopped the game.

She gave each boy a set, I took a set as well for the home letters. “Sir, what do you do with your set”

“I send them to your home with the weekly letter. I’d think your family would like to see them.”

“Then I can keep these for my scrapbook.”

“Yes, you can and if you don’t have a scrapbook give your name to Lord James and I’ll see that you do have a scrapbook. Pass the word to the other Knights.”

Marie pointed to her watch. Boys, we need to go to bed, if we’re going to run tomorrow. It will be our last day before we head home. You can get a shower tonight or tomorrow after our run or tonight and tomorrow. Whatever you want”

They decided to do both, shower, teeth brushed, I went and visited each boy.

“Gene, did you have fun today?”

“Yes sir”

“Gene, when I was in high school my friends called me Teach, I would like for you to call me Teach whenever you’re at the cabin, and you will be coming back.”

He sat up, I pulled him into a hug, and I held him for a long time, I heard his sobs, so light, and I could feel his tears on my shirt. I hugged him until he calmed down. I looked him in the eye, “I’m proud of you,” I kissed him and tucked him in.

I did that with each boy, I teased Evan about trying to steal my girl, we laughed, as I held him. I could feel his body shaking. “Let it out Evan, here you are among friends.” I held him until he quieted down, then I tucked him in, kissed him on his head.”

Anthony was different, He didn’t have parents, he had a guardian, who was very remote from him. There are people whose families decide who was to look after their children without taking into account the emotional side. This was Anthony.

Once I realize that he became my second son, not in the same way as Gerry, but I’ll look out for him, I’ll try and fill in the emotional void. When I went into his room, he had his back to me. I sat on the bed, and ran my hand up and down his back, across his shoulders, he turned, “Did you have fun today? He nodded, you not only got the first fish but you caught the biggest fish. You should be proud, the other boys are. Marie and I are.” He reached up, and soon he was in my arms, he was sobbing very hard. “That’s ok son, let it out. I’m here for you and always will be here for you.”

Gerry came into the room, he looked and sat down on the bed, he put his arm around Anthony as well. Soon the other boys did as well. I picked him up, “Boys gather the blankets, we are going downstairs” I formed a nest, with me in the middle.

The next morning, we set out on a run, not the same pace as Billy and I, but fast enough to keep everyone together. When we got to the field, Anthony noticed the apple tree, “Dad, are those apples good to eat?”

“Yes, let’s pick some and we can get Marcel to make apple pies.” The boys tried to reach the ones not eaten by the animals. “You need to shake the tree”

“I’ll climb the tree and shake it, you guys start picking them up.”

“Dad, what we will carry them in?” I took off my t-shirt, the other boys followed. Evan started to shake the tree, as the apples fell, the boys gathered them. Just as I was going to tell Evan to come down, He took a misstep and fell. I quickly reached and grabbed him.”

“Boy’s I caught a rotten apple what should I do?” They looked and saw me holding Evan in my arms.

“If it’s rotten Dad, throw it away, that’s what we’re doing.”

I looked at Evan, “I won’t ever throw you away.”=

Walking back to the cabin, “Don’t eat those apples until they are washed. Evan, get that washtub we used for the fish yesterday.”

I watched as he got the tub, the first thing he did was smell it. I laughed, “Ok boys dump your apples into the tub. I move the tub to the outside water pump, I started pumping, nothing came out for a minute, and then the water began to fill the tub, Anthony ran into the cabin and returned with a glass. Everyone wanted a drink, the water was the same as inside the cabin, but because it came from the well, it was different.

“Let’s go and have breakfast and then we can wash and dry the apples.”

I saw Marie’s boat so I knew she was preparing breakfast. The boy’s followed me to wash our hands, I took some soap and a towel, went to the pump and we washed our hands. Boys being boys, they all tried to splash me. I chased them around the cabin, telling them I’m going to stick their heads under the pump. As soon as they got a chance they ran into the cabin, when I got there, they were all seated acting like little angels.

Marie had to cook more scrambled eggs and prepare more toast. I just smiled, Gerry reached and squeezed my hand. I smiled at him. Evan wanted to stay and help Marie clean up. I put him in a headlock and walked him outside. “If you think I’m going to let you alone with my girlfriend, it isn’t going to happen.”

I walk to the shed, took out several small baskets, with everyone having an old towel, we dried the apples. Some of them had bad spots, I told the boys to put them in a separate basket.

That evening we had the nest again. I told the boys camping stories. I explained about the scouts, the boys wanted to hear more, it was very late. As they fell asleep, one by one, they made sure they were physically connected to me in some way.

Marie, woke me with a kiss, “You’re going to spoil our kids.”

“I’m already spoiling our kids.” She threw the dishtowel at me, I extracted myself from the nest and headed to the shower. I guess the smell of breakfast woke the boys, as I left the bathroom, they were lined up.

After breakfast, I put the buckets of apples in the back of the car. “Are you going to take them to Marcel?”

“Yes, unless you want to eat one. The boys leaned over the back seat, took an apple, they handed one to Evan and one to me.

Arriving at school, I noted that the preparations for the fair were underway. I drove around to the loading dock, the boys set the basket of apples on the dock.

“James, I see that the preparations for the fair have started. Isn’t this too early?”

“Seth said there are a lot of tents that will need to go up and best to do it now since he has the people.”

This was a distraction, the teaching staff didn’t like it neither did I. At dinner, “Knights, you can see the tents and preparations for the fair, I’m disappointed that they started without the staff knowing. I need you to pull together and pay attention to your schoolwork. As Knights of the Square Table, it’s your responsibility to finish your classes. Can I count on you?”

Fists pounded on the table three times.

The week-ends trip continue and with the nesting, I filled up the car. I did speak to Dad about the bedrooms. He said he would see what he could do.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 26
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Love conquers all heartache regardless how deep!

Yes it does and Adam has a lot of love to share

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Adam has his hands full with the needs of 60 boys, I hope he won't be stretched too thin when the school expands!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Awesome way that he picks up the real needs of the boys he is showing them that they are more than just someone who will be important in their home situation, but that they are humans beings first and foremost who needs love and emotional attention to thrive and grow, his family is growing rapidly

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Adam has his hands full with the needs of 60 boys, I hope he won't be stretched too thin when the school expands!

Adam is smart, with his army, they will take care of the new. boys. His teachers are behind him and they will pitch in.His staff will do their best to make sure the boys have fun as a balance to their classes. I'm sure if he has a problem in attending to the boys, he will hire staff to help.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome way that he picks up the real needs of the boys he is showing them that they are more than just someone who will be important in their home situation, but that they are humans beings first and foremost who needs love and emotional attention to thrive and grow, his family is growing rapidly

His family will grow until he has all of the boys feeling like he is a "dad" replacement while at school.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 hours ago, weinerdog said:

The way all those kids reacted at the cabin when Adam went to say good night to them makes me think not only are the kids away from home a lot but when they are home they don't have much fun.It also seems before Adam arrived the academy didn't organize many fun activities the Fair should help a lot with that

That could be why the preparations are especially distracting.  They’ve not had anything like this before on campus. They are probably excited out of their minds! Seth is also excited about the venue, the possibilities and the free hand he’s been given, but he really should have discussed construction schedules with Adam before starting. I’m sure all kinds of rumors are flying among the boys about what will happen and be available at the Faire.  Adam may want to give a heads up to the boys before the rumors get too crazy! 🏰🎠🛡⚔️🔮🤴🏼🧝🏼🧙🏼

  • Like 3
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

That could be why the preparations are especially distracting.  They’ve not had anything like this before on campus. They are probably excited out of their minds! Seth is also excited about the venue, the possibilities and the free hand he’s been given, but he really should have discussed construction schedules with Adam before starting. I’m sure all kinds of rumors are flying among the boys about what will happen and be available at the Faire.  Adam may want to give a heads up to the boys before the rumors get too crazy! 🏰🎠🛡⚔️🔮🤴🏼🧝🏼🧙🏼

Seth should have gone over the construction plans with Adam or at lest James who should have given Adam a heads up.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

A lot of parents could learn a lot from Adam, particularly when he says that he would never throw away one of the boys, so many people will do that when their children tell them that they are gay, that gets me so angry that someone could do that to their child. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..