Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,083 Words
  • 2,096 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 124. Chapter 124

As the boys came down, I told them what we were going to do. Caleb and Gaston froze what they could, left some food for Evelyn, Abe and Jer were coming with me. They packed the rest to return to the school. While the boys were gathering up their backpacks, rolling up the sleeping bags, and boarding the bus. Caleb had a glass of orange juice for them. I told Evelyn I was taking the boys to the school for testing. I assured her they would be ok.

Everything packed, we headed home via a detour. I don’t know what the diner was thinking as we pulled into the parking lot. I told the guys to gas up the buses and then come to join us. I was surprised they were able to handle us without a problem. I told the waitress, to take their orders and give me the check or checks. I was lucky, Gerry was on one side and Morgan was on the other side. “Father, may we order anything on this menu?”

“Son, some of these items are not good for us. Tell me what you would like and I’ll tell you if it’s healthy." They had buckwheat pancakes, the boys wanted to know what they were, Caleb told them they are good so they decided to order them with a side dish of fresh fruit. When the waitress came over, I told her I’ll have a cup of coffee, the boys will have hot chocolate, and a glass of orange juice all around.

I think all of the waitresses working that morning helped to bring our drinks. They split up to take our orders, it was simple, buckwheat cakes with a side of fresh fruit. “All of you want the same thing.”

They all nodded their heads, “How many are you?”

“There are 113 boys here” She looked, I watched as she placed the order, I saw the chef grab it and then hooked it up, he stopped and went back to look at the order. He called the waitress over, he said something, she headed over toward us. “I’ll bet they have only one cook.”

“Sir, it’s going to take a long time, we have only one cook.”

“I can help you, I have two of the school’s chefs with us. They can help and I bet they can get that order out in 30 minutes.”

She looked like I was crazy, I saw her talk to the chef. “Caleb, you and Gaston go and show him how it’s done.”

They walked up to the cook, showed their certifications as chefs, of course, it was in French. The cook, bowed them past. I started to count the time. I saw the fruit cups come up on the window. The waitresses quickly loaded them on a tray and headed over to our tables. “How much time Father?”

“My guess is in 10 minutes you’ll have a stack of buckwheat cakes.”

Gerry took my arm and watched the hands move, he mumbled, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and a plate of buckwheat cakes were sat before him and the other boys. The waitress came with a refill for my coffee, asked the boys if they wanted coffee, they politely said no. “Where are you from?”

Johnny fielded that question, “We are students at the Knights Academy.”

“Is that a military school?”

The boys laughed, “No, it’s a private school north of here.”

She just walked away. The boys hadn’t finished eating, I asked for the check. “Father, we aren’t finished eating.”

“By the time that check comes, you will be.”

One of the other patrons asked her about the boys. We heard her say, “Some private school up north.”

“Well behaved kids, don’t see much of that anymore. Only one teacher, I guess that’s their buses out there.”

The waitress looked, “I didn’t see them pull in.”

When she finally added up the bill, I went to pay. “I have a debit card, is that a problem?”

“No sir”

“I looked at the tab, added a very nice tip, at least I thought it was very nice. Evidently so did she when she took my card to swipe it in the reader. “Thank you.”

The boys lined up as they boarded the bus. We were watched, I saw the customer who pointed out the buses and the waitress that was talking to him. One last check, “Everyone has everything?”

I got my rah, rah, rah. We pulled out and headed north. I knew we’d need to make another food stop.

About halfway to the school, we made a pit stop at a rest area. Caleb and Gaston fixed sandwiches and had cartons of chocolate milk. As the boys boarded the buses, they were handed a sandwich and a carton of milk. It was enough to last until we got to the school and then they would have a bigger meal than normal for supper.

 

Arriving at school on a Sunday instead of Monday morning, caused a little concern among the staff. Hans helped Anton to the infirmary, along with a few of the boys. I gave a short tour of the first floor to Abe and Jer. I needed to assign them a dorm to stay in while they are here. At supper, I asked Johnny to find an empty dorm for Abe and Jer, In the morning I’ll talk to the staff and set them up in the testing room with Jane. I still needed to think about Anton.

Monday morning came and it was a little chilly, fall was here. Warm afternoons and cold evenings. The guys met at the track, warm-ups, and then we began our run. I didn’t want the boys to do cool-down exercises outside, so when it came time I told them to follow me. I took them to the gym and jumped into the pool. The water was warm, cool-down exercises were fun.

Walking into the Dining Hall for breakfast, James stopped me and handed me a pile of letters. I looked through them carefully, the ones I wanted to open right after breakfast, I told James to put them on my desk. He’ll keep the rest until I ask for them.

Johnny took Abe and Jer in hand, led them to the breakfast bar, explained the rules, and then helped them fill their tray. It was nice to see Annie joining us, James was all smiles.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 21
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, I am still amazed at the well behaved boys that get attention wherever they go , and of course welcome home to the academy

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Can you imagine if that cook was on his own?Still being a Sunday if it's a halfway popular diner there should have been two cooks on duty for Sunday.What are the plans for Abe and Jer?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

“Son, some of these items are not good for us." No bacon??? 😳 Adam and I are NOT on speaking terms now! 

You have been brained washed.  Buckwheat cakes, I'll take over bacon and eggs any day. Adam knew that if each boy ordered a variety of breakfasts, they would bet there for a long time.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Animation Food GIF

Looks good but the bacon must be turkey bacon

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

I bet the chef was bricking it when he saw how many orders there were. Them boys need to train the cook how to handle big numbers then it could become a regular stop on the way home. Nice that the clients thought that the kids were well behaved.  I wonder what Adam will get up to in Lichtenstein? There is always something, that you can be sure of.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Kev said:

I bet the chef was bricking it when he saw how many orders there were. Them boys need to train the cook how to handle big numbers then it could become a regular stop on the way home. Nice that the clients thought that the kids were well behaved.  I wonder what Adam will get up to in Lichtenstein? There is always something, that you can be sure of.

yes, you are right. For some reason Adam draws problems like a magnet

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

There have been times when my family have eaten at restaurants and it was always a pleasure, especially when the restaurant staff complemented us on our well behaved children. Staff will go out of their way to cater to children who are polite and well behaved. I expect no less with Adam's charges

I agree , children will live up to your expectations or down to your expectations, after my first marriage when my 2 children's went into restaurant with my ex they were very badly behaved, however when I went to same restaurant with my kids they behaved perfectly well , I never had reprimand them they just knew I expected them to behave properly, it is all in the attitude

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Animation Food GIF

Hear, hear! 😝 no breakfast is complete without old MacDonald’s oink 🐷  oinks , and cluck 🐔 clucks. I’m sure buckwheat pancakes are great, with lots of buttery loaded maple syrup, but with the bacon and eggs added, they squeal of the gleeful pleasures that have you crowing with energy to face the challenges of the day! 😝 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Philippe said:

Hear, hear! 😝 no breakfast is complete without old MacDonald’s oink 🐷  oinks , and cluck 🐔 clucks. I’m sure buckwheat pancakes are great, with lots of buttery loaded maple syrup, but with the bacon and eggs added, they squeal of the gleeful pleasures that have you crowing with energy to face the challenges of the day! 😝 

if I ate a breakfast like that I would be so fat they would need a mechanical lift to move me. I am sure those buckwheat cakes did not swim in syrup

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, mikedup said:

I agree , children will live up to your expectations or down to your expectations, after my first marriage when my 2 children's went into restaurant with my ex they were very badly behaved, however when I went to same restaurant with my kids they behaved perfectly well , I never had reprimand them they just knew I expected them to behave properly, it is all in the attitude

yes, once children understand what is expected they live up to that expectation. I think it also shows respect, in general, children use behavior as a means to show love and acceptance.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..