Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 997 Words
  • 52,005 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 6. Chapter 6

“Adam, are you going to teach teachers to do what you do?”

“Sure there’s no magic. Two points, the first point is to get to know the student and the second point is to find out what turns her or him on. I think I told you about the high school football player that could remember intricate plays but couldn’t remember algebra. I just explained it in terms of football and he grasped it quite quickly. He is now an assistant coach at his high school. I bet you all could do it. Who has student teaching this coming semester? Good if the teacher tells you that she has a student that isn’t very bright. Let me know and I’ll help you apply my wizardly.”

“That gentleman sent this over for you Teach.”

I looked over and there was Billy. I ran over and grabbed him in a hug. “What are you doing here? It’s so good to see you.”

“I came to see you. Your mom told me where you were. I have a favor to ask of you. My oldest is having a lot of problems in school. He’s failing and because he is, he’s becoming a bully. I need you to help him like you did those football players.”

“Billy, I’ll do all I can. Where is he?”

“In the car”

“Let’s go and see what we can do, just a minute.” I went back to the table, “I’m sorry guys but I got to help an old friend out.”

I followed Billy to the car, if I didn’t know better, I’d swear there was a clone of Billy in the car. Billy opened the door, “Billy, I want you to meet my best friend, Adam.”

“Hello Billy, you look just like your dad. Do you run?” I got a small head shake.

“Ok, tomorrow we run. Can you do two miles?”

He looked at me, “In my sleep.”

“Ok, we’ll see tomorrow morning at 6 am.”

“6 am! No one is up at that time.”

“I don’t know, your dad and I use to run every weekday at 6 am. There’s no one to bother us, 6 am, I’ll be there to run with you.”

As I was walking away, “And if you can get your old man up, he can run also.”

When we were walking to my car I gave Billy my phone number and he told me where he was staying.

The next morning I was up at 5, had a coffee and a banana. I drove over to the hotel where Billy was staying. At 6, I saw Billy junior. “Billy, where's your dad?”

“He’s coming. He stopped to get some water.”

He gave Billy and me a bottle of water, “See you when you get back.”

“Listen, old man, we’ll give you 15 minutes to get change and back down here.”

“Let’s warm up Billy.” I led Billy through the same warm-up his dad and I used back home. I could tell he wasn’t use to warming up. “Warm-ups like this helps to loosen the muscles so they don’t cramp up on you. That can be painful, but you already know this.”

He looked at me, “How do you know I get leg cramps?”

“Because you don’t stretch. You’re not unique, anyone who runs without stretching first gets leg cramps.”

“The guys told me it was because I was a baby and couldn’t handle the pain.”

“No, actually with these warm-ups you’ll outrun them.”

“Really”

“Sure, they get the cramps and rather stop, they like to think they’re macho and so they continue to run. They’ll pay for that sooner or later. Ask your dad he knows all about that.”

“About warming up? Dad, some of the guys on the team make fun of me when I stopped when my legs cramp up.”

“I suppose they tease you. Why didn’t you tell me, I would’ve shown you how to warm up.”

“Didn’t your running coach show you how to warm up?”

“No, he just says to run laps.”

“Next time, take time to warm up. If he says anything let your dad know. You can warm up a little in the locker room and I’ll show you that tomorrow when we run.”

“Catch up to us Billy when you’re warmed up.”

“I think your dad is getting out of shape. You need to start running with him when you get home.”

We were running at a good pace, not the fastest I have run but nothing to be ashamed of. I heard Billy catching up, “I’m really out of shape.” I looked at Billy, he grinned.

We ran at that pace for about 1 1/2 miles, Billy dropped out and started to jog back to the hotel. “Billy, want to push it?”

He looked at me, thought about it, and took off. That little sneaker was fast. It took me a little while to catch up to him and I was glad I kept running while in college. I ran at his pace for a while and then kicked it up a little, he matched me. I kicked it “up again, he matched me again, we just turned the 4-mile mark, “Billy race you back to the hotel. Just keep on this road and you will get there or just watch my back.” I took off, when I looked back he was right behind me. I put everything in it and he passed me up just before the hotel. He was going to stop, “No keep running you have to slow down gradually. Stay with me.”

I ran another mile slowing down gradually, ended up in front of the hotel. “How do your legs feel?”

“Tired but no cramps.”

“Because of the warm-ups. Now go to your room and soak in hot water until the water cools. Then shower, I’ll meet you here for a nice runner breakfast. If your dad isn’t sleeping ask him to come along.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 15
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, mikedup said:

Interesting chapter, to do something Right do it right from the beginning, very informative chapter

When I wrote this story around Adam, Billy will play an important role. This chapter introduced Billy and the running will be key 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Just now, Chris L said:

And a bond was formed just like that! ❤️

The bond between Adam and Bill senior was formed in High school. Now he is building a bond with Billy and I'll bet he will be dragging his dad into it as well.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I imagine that some members of Billy's team will be joining them shortly for morning runs and tutoring!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

I imagine that some members of Billy's team will be joining them shortly for morning runs and tutoring!!

Yes, Adam regimen involves an early morning run.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Was the source of Billy's bullying being teased for cramping up?I would think there would be more to it then that.

Any coach that doesn't tell them to warm up and stretch isn't worth their salt.Sounds like he's incompetent

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Was the source of Billy's bullying being teased for cramping up?I would think there would be more to it then that.

Any coach that doesn't tell them to warm up and stretch isn't worth their salt.Sounds like he's incompetent

Boys have a strong influence in a teens life, but you already know that. If they think something isn't manly they will tease the other and I'm always surprised how much pain they will put up with because they want to be macho in the eyes of their peers. And you're right, good coach has his athletes welfare to be considered.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loving Adam...

Everyone seems to run these days, when I was young I was introduced to it by the missionaries of my church when I served with them. At first I hated getting up, by the time I headed home I was running five miles a day. Continued it until just before getting married as well. Now I'm so out of shape no one will believe that I used to run. Hell two years ago I would hardly walk to the end of the road, my son made me go to the doctors; that was when they told me I had pernicious anaemia... started on  B12 and now I've lost the weight and can walk again. Would love to run, but I don't think I will ever feel that thrill again.

Loving Adam he is just so caring ....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Loving Adam...

Everyone seems to run these days, when I was young I was introduced to it by the missionaries of my church when I served with them. At first I hated getting up, by the time I headed home I was running five miles a day. Continued it until just before getting married as well. Now I'm so out of shape no one will believe that I used to run. Hell two years ago I would hardly walk to the end of the road, my son made me go to the doctors; that was when they told me I had pernicious anaemia... started on  B12 and now I've lost the weight and can walk again. Would love to run, but I don't think I will ever feel that thrill again.

Loving Adam he is just so caring ....

They say that o get to running when you haven't for a while. start walking. Walk at a comfortable pace and then when you are comfoirateble with that, step up the pace. Running is okay but walking is just as good, at the right pace and the amount of time you walk.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..