Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,404 Words
  • 2,420 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 38. Chapter 38

I decided it was time I audit a few classes. I picked one of the classes where one of the students wasn’t doing well. I needed to have further insight into the teaching methods used as well as student participation. “Hello Mr. Anderson, I’d like your permission to audit your class. I believe you have James van Cees in your class.”

“Yes, I do. It would be a pleasure to have you audit my class.”

“Maybe audit is too strong of a word, I want to focus on Mr. Cees while you teach.”

I went and got one of my books from the car, I’d give it to Mr. Anderson for allowing me to audit his class.

I entered his class after he had taken the role. There were 9 students in his class, I knew that the class size would be small. I listened as he explained the lesson for the day but my eyes were on James. It would appear that he was listening so why was he having problems. After class I gave Mr. Anderson the book, “It appeared that he was listening, why do you think his grades are so low?”

“His test scores are very low. In the classroom, he participates but when I give a written test, he scores very low.”

“Do you have his tests?”

“Yes, I keep all of my tests.”

“May I have his, I’d like to review it, and then if it’s ok with you, review it with him. In my discussions with him at lunch, he seems to be a bright boy.”

“I’ll have the tests sent to your office after lunch. Do you mind if I ask you a question?”

“No, ask away.”

“Why did you choose not to eat lunch in the Staff Dining Room?”

“I look at my job to be a connection between curriculum and the student. I want every student here who has a problem, real or perceived, to feel free to come to me. The only way I know that to happen is if they see me as being approachable. Eating in the cafeteria with them gives them confidence and trust. You should try it sometimes, you might be surprised.”

Walking back to my office, I saw Jane waving me over to her office. “I just heard from James about his office. Are you trying to be a maverick or is that who you are?”

“What do you think?”

“I’m not sure but you’re certainly shaking everyone up. There are members of the Board who are saying it was a mistake offering you the job.”

“I have no problem with that. I don’t think I’ll be fired and if I am, I have a two-year contract. By then, they’ll be converted and if not, the parents of these students will convert them. I know what I’m doing, I have wrestled with more powerful people than the Board.” I was remembering how I had to fight with the review board for my doctorate. Henry helped with that as well as the position here, he’ll help me again if I need it.

“James, I have asked Bob Anderson to send down the exams taken by James Cees. Let me know when they arrive. I’ll be in the Library.”

I expected to see some students in the library and I wanted to see that room as well. The library was on the second floor of the building, towards the back. I always thought if I ever design a school, the Library would be in front and the first place anyone entering the school would see. Looking at the teachers’ roster, I noted that the librarian was Mary Walcott.

Walking to the library, Ms. Walcott looked up from her desk and smiled. “Dr. Blake, welcome to our library. May I help you with anything?”

“Ms. Walcott I’m fine. I just wanted to see the Library as I hadn’t seen it when I interviewed. If it’s ok, I’ll just roam around and check out some of the books available for the students.”

“If you need any help, just let me know.” I thanked her and began to look at the bookshelves. I noticed several foreign books, books in other languages. That seemed appropriate for a school with multinationals.

As I walked around I noticed one table had five students studying. One of the students sat at my table in the cafeteria. When he saw me he waved, I went to his table and sat in the empty chair.

“You all seem to be studying very hard. What is the subject matter that has your interest?”

“We are studying the Constitutions of various country's. We need to write a report comparing two countries versus the US Constitution. We have decided that each of us take two different countries that way we won’t be writing about the same country.”

“If you were to write a Constitution, what would you include?”

I watched as they thought about it, Robert looked at me, “I’m not sure but it would reflect my values.”

“I believe you may have an outline for an excellent report. Remember those who wrote the constitutions of the countries were greedy people who were looking out for themselves.”

“That doesn’t seem possible.”

“Look at it his way, someone says I want the right to own land, someone says if you want the right to own land then I want the right to own a gun. Another says, I want to make sure the man who holds my values gets in office, the other says I want to make sure the man I prefer gets in office. Then a conclusion is reached, the right to own property and the right to elect the person of our choice will be included in the constitution of this country. That is more or less some of the dialogue. Religion also played a part in the drafting of a constitution. A good exercise would be for you five to develop a constitution that all five of you would agree and would be willing to live by. See you at lunch.”

I spent another hour in the library, looking at the subject matter covered. “Ms. Walcott, do you have any books authored by free thinkers?”

“I’m not sure. Do you have any particular authors in mind?”

“Yes, I have a few; Thomas Paine, Bertrand Russell, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris for a few.”

“I don’t believe we have any of them. Most of our books are reference books or old textbooks.”

“I hope you’ll include my book in your library.”

“I will be delighted to include your book, but I haven’t received it yet.”

“I think you’ll have it by the end of the day.”

I decided to go for a cup of coffee in the cafeteria. It was too early for lunch, but I knew there was coffee leftover from breakfast, at least I hoped there would be. When I entered the cafeteria, I noticed one of the boys sitting at a table by himself. I got my coffee and headed toward his table. When I sat down he looked up and there were tears in his eyes.”

“What’s the matter?”

“I received a letter from my dad, he said if I don’t improve my grades I’ll have to go home. I know the material but I get uptight whenever I take a test. I’m not good under pressure.”

“Do you want some help?”

“You can help me? I have a lot of friends here and I’d like to stay. I need to bring my grades up.”

“Are you falling in a lot of subjects or just one or two?”

“All of them, I just can’t function under the pressure of time. I take my old tests and when I can take my time I finish them easily.”

“If you promise me to give me your best, I’ll help you. Is it a deal?”

“Yes, sir, it’s a deal.”

“Ok after lunch you come and see me in my office.”

Now I had something to do. There are a lot of kids that tighten up taking tests. Ms. Walcott just might get another job. Walking back into my office with my coffee, James looked at me and then my coffee.

“Coffee is in the cafeteria, go and get yourself a cup. Until we get a coffee maker, any time you want a coffee go and get it.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 18
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great report with the boys, I think that he will work miracles with the first boy and it will snowball from there, , interesting times ahead

Definitely. He's going to change the direction as well as their attitude, if they let him.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

In such a stuffy and regimented institution, I'd imagine that testing anxiety was off the charts with multiple students. Hopefully Adam can help the young man he made a deal with to retake all his exams in a less stressful environment and quickly move from failing to excelling. 

Have faith my friend, would Adam leave a child in a lurch because he doesn't have enough time to finish an exam. I don't think so, Adam will find a way to allow his students all of the time necessary to finish an exam and excel. 😀

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I reckon Adam and James are going rock a few boats in the time that they are there. 2 year contract would be nice, but in these days a month is good. I love Adams rapport with the kids and how they willingly open up to him. Wish there had been teacher around like that when I was a kid.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

If I were writing this he would get fired and the students will revolt. So OK I'm not writing it😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Adam's initial success will snowball ,into great things, a little patience is required and the results will be incontrovertible!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Kev said:

I reckon Adam and James are going rock a few boats in the time that they are there. 2 year contract would be nice, but in these days a month is good. I love Adams rapport with the kids and how they willingly open up to him. Wish there had been teacher around like that when I was a kid.

I'm with you on that. There were many kids ions my classes io felt sorry about.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, JCtoGO2 said:

If I were writing this he would get fired and the students will revolt. So OK I'm not writing it😁

there is no assurance that the students would follow. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Adam's initial success will snowball ,into great things, a little patience is required and the results will be incontrovertible!!

you have read this story before or have you read his book..  Just remember who these boys are and their families, you are right about the rersujts

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Give some credit to Mr Anderson some teachers would have reacted to Adam by saying'What's wrong with the way I teach?"Be he welcomed it.It sounds like Adam is not happy with Ms.Walcott.Who is responsible for what books are in the library? Is it the librarian or the board?

It will be interesting to see what Adam discovers with James and the kid in the cafeteria(BTW you didn't give him a name)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

you have read this story before or have you read his book..  Just remember who these boys are and their families, you are right about the rersujts

 

 

Nope, the story is new to me, it is clear to me that , while Adam is a maverick, he is one that gets results!!!

 Results equal proof of methods, and progress comes to a staid institution!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

SAD THAT THIS IS REALITY IN THE LAST 40 YEARS  OF K-12...................YOU MAKE THIS INTERESTING !   STAN A.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Nope, the story is new to me, it is clear to me that , while Adam is a maverick, he is one that gets results!!!

 Results equal proof of methods, and progress comes to a staid institution!

I meant reading the book as a joke.  But you are right and you are reading Adam correct try. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, DelrayDad said:

SAD THAT THIS IS REALITY IN THE LAST 40 YEARS  OF K-12...................YOU MAKE THIS INTERESTING !   STAN A.

Thank you, I only wish this story was true instead of fiction

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..