Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,383 Words
  • 1,923 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 161. Chapter 161

We had one month of working out before we had to return for school. Hans would then take over the training. Franz would stay with Marie and me as our son. We stayed at the cabin for that month which meant runs around the lake.

We weren’t alone. Some of the staff from the school were there, which let us catch up a little and do some planning for the school year. A lot of fishing was done, as well as running. Billy borrowed Dad’s car and went home to bring Susanna and Buster up to the cabin. Scotty had to come as well.

The teenagers were getting along very well. If I don’t miss my bet, Scotty was showing an interest in Emma.

I wanted to go to the school to see how much progress was being made at the girls’ academy. Henry said he would have the foundations in when school started. None of the teachers who were at the cabin knew the status.

About a week after we got home sitting on the porch with my coffee, I watched the boys as they came in from fishing. They were laughing, and even Franz was laughing with them. To look at him, you would never suspect what he went through.

“A penny for your thoughts”

“I was thinking of how much fun the boys have here at the cabin. We have fished so much in that lake. I would’ve thought there wouldn’t be any fish left.”

“I would have expected that you would want to go to check on the school.”

“I thought about it, but we’ll be there in a few weeks anyway. I’ll stay here and have a relaxing, running vacation.”

“Anna seems like a nice girl. Is she as fast as Billy said?”

“Yes, she has a good chance to bring the gold home for the 5000 meter. Running here will strengthen her leg muscles. We got the run around the lake down fairly solid. Before we go back to school, I want to do a double, twice around.”

“Have you heard anything from the newlyweds?”

“No, except she is pregnant, and they will have a baby in April, it will be a boy, and he will be named Adam.”

“How do you know that?”

“I’m psychic.”

“You are not.”

“Well, according to the literature, that island was used as a honeymoon for the indigenous people long before the white man used it. The island’s purpose was to provide time for the couple to relax and get to know each other intimately. Knowing Gerry, I don’t think he thought about taking protection. So 1 and 1 on an isolated island, nothing else to do, a boy in April.”

“What makes you think it will be a boy and named Adam?”

“Well, I have it on good authority; that’s what will happen.”

Then we heard as the boys came back from fishing, “Dad, we need help cleaning the fish.”

“That’s your call to go and help. You know our boys look up to you.”

“Yes, and it’s a great feeling. I know they don’t need me to clean this fish.”

I took my cup of coffee and walked to where they were cleaning the fish. “Dad, can you pump the water for us.”

“Sure, get your fish over here. I’ll pump, you flush.”

And that is what we did. Billy and Stephan carried the fish to the kitchen. I had my arms around Adam and Franz as we slowly walked back to the cabin. “Where are you boys going to sleep tonight?”

“In the chalet, like we did last night. It was nice there. We could hear the night noises. Can we go and check the apple trees tomorrow?”

I laughed. Their minds were constantly moving, sleeping to picking apples.

That night as we ate supper, “Abe, what have you been doing this summer?”

“He’s been rehearsing another play at the school.” The boy didn’t get a chance to answer. Evelyn was quite proud of him and became his promoter.

“Abe, what’s the play about?”

“One of the students in the drama department wrote a play about the French Revolution. The main character is a woman who was a leader and one of the nobility befriended her. I play the part of the noble, and my girlfriend plays the part of the woman. The music is great, and the songs are descriptive of the characters. It turns into a love affair.”

“It sounds interesting. There are a lot of plays written around historical facts from the past. It sounds like you are doing well. How about the other subjects you are taking?”

“I’m doing well there also. I study a lot. It doesn’t come easy for me, but being here where I had the chance to study on my own and with Mom making sure I did study, helped to set a pattern. I don’t do much socializing. My friends refer to me as the serious student.”

“Stick to it. Even though your voice may be what brings in the money, you can’t sing all of the time. It would be best if you had some breadth to your education to function in a changing world. Be your own boss if you use singing as your career. There are many people out there looking for young singers to help achieve their goals, when in reality they achieve their goals on the coattails of that singer.”

“How about you Jer, how is school coming for you.”

“I enter college this year as a freshman. I can’t sing, so I guess I’ll have to study hard.”

“What do you want to do after college?”

“I don’t know. Sometimes I would like to be a teacher like you or a doctor like Miss Marie, I don’t know, except I do know I need an education.”

“If you want to discuss some ideas, we can talk while I’m here, and you can call me when I’m not here. I’ll always have time for you.”

After dinner, Evelyn came and said Jer was confused as to what he should study. “Evelyn, the first year at every college is designed to help the student decide on a career choice. There are tests on the computer that will help him decide by showing him the fields where he has the highest chance of succeeding. These aptitude tests don’t guarantee anything except where a student has a particular ability, as math or history. I’ll try and find a few for him.”

Later that evening, as Marie and I were chatting, “A career is more than aptitude.”

“I know just because a test shows you would be good in mathematics doesn’t mean you should be a math teacher. It’s a guide, not a rule. It helps. He probably had already taken a set of tests when he applied to his college.”

“I don’t remember taking any tests when I applied to college.”

“I’m sure you did, and it probably showed that you were more objective than subjective.”

“Why would you say that?”

“Can you see a doctor being subjective?”

“No, but why would you say that without seeing test results.”

“For one, you are a doctor, which requires an objective view, and two, you married me, which also is an objective choice.”

“How is marrying you an objective choice?”

“You took one look at me, and your objective was to snare me in the ropes of matrimony. Simple.”

I laughed as she punched me. “Ow, another black and blue mark I’ll have to hide. Now you need to kiss it.”

“Where is the black and blue mark?” I pointed to my lips. She laughed as she kissed me. What started as a peck ended up as a lot more.

I think one of the traits that attracted me to Marie was her humor. Besides being very intelligent and beautiful, her humor was a match to mine. The bottom line, she was fun to be with. I was a very lucky man.

The time went fast, and we had to get back to work. I had the copter take Stephan and Anna to the plane and then fly them home. Hans would meet them and continue the training. We drove back with some of the teachers who were returning as well.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 18
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love how the younger Adam and Marie has taken to Franz as if they were blood no one needs a loving environment more then Franz

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Words of wisdom...

“Stick to it. Even though your voice may be what brings in the money, you can’t sing all of the time. It would be best if you had some breadth to your education to function in a changing world. Be your own boss if you use singing as your career. There are many people out there looking for young singers to help achieve their goals, when in reality they achieve their goals on the coattails of that singer.”

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Franz has most definitely become a member of the family, spreading love all around is an Adam family trait

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I love how the younger Adam and Marie has taken to Franz as if they were blood no one needs a loving environment more then Franz

Children seem to sense things that adults don't.  Adam and Marie sensed Franz's loss and befriended him. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Franz has fitted in well with his brother and sister.

Yes, and the children have accepted him as a brother.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Franz has most definitely become a member of the family, spreading love all around is an Adam family trait

Love given is love receive. I either heard that or read it somewhere. In Adam and Marie's family it is practiced 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The relationship Marie and Adam have always makes me laugh and smile. I do wonder though, with all the boys of the academy, it seems everyone is dating someone of a different gender and getting married. I would imagine one or two of them would have a different disposition, wanting to date someone of the same gender, and live happily ever after. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Chris L said:

The relationship Marie and Adam have always makes me laugh and smile. I do wonder though, with all the boys of the academy, it seems everyone is dating someone of a different gender and getting married. I would imagine one or two of them would have a different disposition, wanting to date someone of the same gender, and live happily ever after. 

If statistics are correct then you are probably right. I don't think any connected with royalty would find partners of the same sex. The pressure would be to great, now there is the possibility of a little hanky pinky 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Stix said:

Was the girls name in the last chapter Emma or Anna? You have worried me, i think she was Emma in chapter 159 and 160 und in 161 now her name was Anna...

I need to check.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..