Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 774 Words
  • 6,018 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 45. Chapter 45

p> “Adam, wait. Tell me how did it go?”

“Well, CJ, it went like this.’

Walking into the Staff Dining Room, I noticed a large table with all of the Directors sitting and Arlene at the head. She called the meeting to order, the minutes of the last meeting were read. New business and I knew this is where the bad news would be. I was sitting at the foot of the table facing Arlene. She opened the floor for new business, but before anyone could say anything, there was a knock on the door. Ambassador Damon was there as well as several other parents. I noticed the Ambassador had a pin on his jacket.

Arlene became nervous but she invited the parents to sit down. Under the governance of the school, any parent had the right to sit in on any Director’s meeting. They funded the school and had the right to know what was going on and this was a particularly interesting meeting.

Arlene called for new business again. One of the Directors stood up, I think she was the Music Director and made a motion to terminate my contract. Arlene smiled. It was second by another Director, I don’t remember I think he was in charge of the finance. Then she called for the question.

I stood up, “Before you decide to terminate my contract, you need to know that you’ll have to pay me 1,170,000 dollars. I’m not sure of your financial status but there is also a penalty if I’m not paid within 30 days of contract cancelation.” I sat down. It was obvious to me that they didn’t know about my contract. I thought that was strange until I looked at the Ambassador. He just smiled at me.

He stood, “Madam Director, I’m here to serve notice that if Dr. Blake’s contract is canceled, the school will close. A new school will be constructed at a new location, possibly outside of the US where Dr. Blake will be given a free hand to teach our children.” He sat down, I couldn’t believe what I just heard.

It was so quiet in the room you could hear the people breathe. Arlene stood to talk. “You don’t understand, he has broken every rule we have. He refuses to mingle with the staff, he encourages the students to come to him when they aren’t doing their work, the teaching staff does not like him.”

“Then I think we need to hear from the teaching staff since you brought the subject up.”

He got up and opened the door. The teaching staff that ate in the cafeteria came into the room. “Director McMillan stated that you resent Dr. Blake because he refuses to mingle with you, which I interpret he doesn’t eat in your Staff Dining Room, he encourages students to come to him which I’d draw from that you’d prefer your students to come to you and you don’t like him. Is this how you feel?”

The teachers looked like a deer caught in the headlights of a car, Bob Anderson looked at me and smiled. “I disagree with Director McMillan. I enjoy having lunch in the “cafeteria, it’s cheaper and it’s nice to observe our students. It gives us an insight as well as letting them know we’re approachable. As to my knowledge, he has never turned away a teacher if they needed help. He has given us all a copy of his book indicating we’d understand where he’s coming from if we read his book. As far as not liking him, that’s personal and doesn’t belong at this table. He has helped my students and his idea of a testing center is great, it’ll allow us to spend more time teaching.” Bob sat down.

Our Director of Music called for the vote. Before they could vote, the Financial Director stood. “You should know, if we vote to dismiss Dr. Blake and the threat of student withdrawal, the school will close and we’ll be bankrupt.” He sat down. Then several telephones began to ring. Director McMillan called a recess.

I took the opportunity to talk to Ambassador Damon, “Are you serious about the students leaving and starting another school?”

“Yes, my son talks about you all the time." Laughing, " I’m jealous and now the pins. I know what you’re doing and it’s good. The seeds you are sowing will grow into a better world. We can’t lose that opportunity. What were you going to do if they voted to dismiss you?”

“I would start a tutoring program in town and encourage kids who have problems to come and see me.”

“You would do that. Let’s go and get a cup of coffee.”

An interesting development. Obviously no one knew what was in his contract. The possibility of a new school with Adam as Head, that should upset the apple cart.
By the sounds of the phone ringing, it appears that the Knights have talked to their parents.
Interesting times ahead
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 23
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well it seems Adam has the upper hand. The school will be bankrupt if they sack him, Arlene has got herself into a right old mess. Seems she didn't know what Adam's contract entailed.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Laughing the whole way through the chapter. Either Arlene is an idiot of a Headmaster and doesn't speak with the Finance Director or is just oblivious all together. Can't imagine a school of 60 would just have $1.17M sitting around to dish out in a moments notice. That's called being up shits creek without a paddle. Ole Bagpipes is a dumbass. Can't wait for the next installment to see how far this falls flat on its face and weather the Ambassador has a motion introduced to fire Bagpipes instead for incompetence. 

I think Adam's job offers came outside of Arlene's knowledge. She propbably knew his salary but not some top he fine print. the offer . build a new school should have been a warning to her. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

Tomorrow morning, I can only post twice a day

There is one plus in reading story that is finished: All of the chapters are ready to be read... 

Of course, there is a saying that good things come to those who wait... 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, empresslovesreading said:

That has to be a seriously useless Board of Directors if they really did not know what was in his contract. I mean, come on. My town nitpicks the damn to death when picking superintendents. They only have themselves to blame.

Yes, but these so called directors are so self absorbed, they can't see the own nose. I think there are some exciting times  coming

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Finally the showdown, Arlene has not got her ducks in a row, she has decided to put everyone against herself the school parents are against her and I think that they are going to force her to step down, I almost wants to ring my hands in glee, I can't wait for the fallout

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Arlene and her cohorts that ride the tide as long as they are not expected to go the extra mile... The directors feel that they are the untouchables and that others should bend if they say bend... doesn't work like that. There are movers and there are shakers in life and those that are happy to just float with the tide. Adam is a mover quite definitely and I think the Ambassador is the shaker because he has the power to do so, but Adam is as well because he is making them all see that there is a better way then the accepted way.

Well done Adam... Can't wait for the next instalment. I love Adam ! ! !  :2thumbs::thankyou:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Someone better unplug the toaster, I think both Arlene and the Music Director are close to self-immolating!!!

When checking the broom closet, best get two for their rides home!!!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mikedup said:

Finally the showdown, Arlene has not got her ducks in a row, she has decided to put everyone against herself the school parents are against her and I think that they are going to force her to step down, I almost wants to ring my hands in glee, I can't wait for the fallout

I think she thought this was a fait compli, she had her minions ready to act. Didn't expect what happened

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

Someone better unplug the toaster, I think both Arlene and the Music Director are close to self-immolating!!!

When checking the broom closet, best get two for their rides home!!!

life always bite you in the a@@ when you are over confident. Arlene played her cards and lost. She was unprepared

  • Like 5
Link to comment

How did Adam come up with $1.17M? I seem to remember that he would get 3 years salary if they fired him. Was his annual salary $390,000????

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, frosenblum said:

How did Adam come up with $1.17M? I seem to remember that he would get 3 years salary if they fired him. Was his annual salary $390,000????

Yes for a Director that was his Salary. Remember hie first letter the salary they offered would be equivalent to what he would make if he stayed at his old university. The new salary opened his eyes because it was significant more. You have correctly calculated his annual salary.  For this school, considering the student base, it probably is in the proper range to start with

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..