Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,130 Words
  • 2,061 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 103. Chapter 103

We met for 2 hours, I needed to understand some of the financial implications that I was proposing. I was surprised at the Minister’s reaction, “My little Prince said you were a just and honorable man. I can see why he trusts you.”

“Thank you, but now is the time to put the past back where it belongs, in the past. A mother and father shouldn’t have to pay for the sins of their children."

"Miister, what do you know about the family? I know Josef, having met him in the States, but that’s all."

“His father was a gardener and quite successful. He developed several types of flowers from cross germination. His mother was a homemaker, she was taught to cook and keep her house by her mother. We say she is from the old school. I believe they had an older daughter who was married. She and her husband died in a skiing accident, an avalanche I believe. They had two children who the grandparents are raising. Josef helps out as best he can.”

“How old are the children?”

“The boy is 14 and the girl is 12.”

“Are they in school and if they are what type of students are they?”

“They are in school, but not doing well. Josef said they are tormented because of their aunt.”

“I have more work for you to do.”

Hans knocked, “Your guests have arrived.”

“Show them to the sitting room in the main Palace and ask Marie to meet them.” It's about time she gets involved, at least for the next few years.

I thanked the Minister and asked him to join us for dinner. I wanted his judgment.

When I walked into the room, Mr. and Mrs. Buchner quickly jumped up and bowed their heads. I walked in front of Mr. Buchner and offered my hand, as to shake my hand. Hans said something, he lifted his head and held out his hand, I took it in a handshake.

“Please sit down.” Looking at the young boy, “What is your name?”

“My name is Gunther, sir.”

“That’s a good name, I like it. Was it your father’s name?”

“Yes, sir”

“And you young lady, what is your name?”

“My name is Anna sir.”

“Am I correct in assuming that’s your mother’s name?”

“Yes, sir”

“Hans, bring the carriage around, the children and I are going for a ride. Show Mr. and Mrs. Buchner to my office.”

I took Marie’s hand, we each took the hand of one of the children and headed to the front for a ride through town in the carriage. “Hans, run to town and get a large bag of candy. I do mean large.”

While we waited for the carriage, Marie looked at me questioning what I was doing. I just smiled back. By the time the carriage came, and we got into our seats, Hans was back. I told the driver to continue to the gate and to pick up Hans. Josef was already standing on the back of the carriage as a footman. Hans dropped the candy into the carriage and joined Josef. I nodded to the coachman, and we were off.

It didn’t take long for the townsfolk to know we were coming. The blare of the trumpets as we left the Palace was enough. As the people lined the street, I gave a bag to each of the children. Josef said to toss the pieces to the kids along the road. Of course, several adults got their share as well. I was delighted with the smiles of the Buchner children.

“Stop the carriage!”

“Hans, that boy sitting on the side of the road, why and who is he?”

“Sir, he broke his legs in an accident. The grandmother doesn’t have enough money to pay for his operation.”

I looked at Hans, I didn’t have to tell him anything. He went and picked the boy up and put him in our carriage. I guess it was his grandmother who came and spoke to Hans.

“The grandmother wants to know what’s happening.”

“Help her into the carriage. Anna come and sit on my lap”

I knew Marie was perplexed as to what I was doing. I just smiled and squeezed her hand.

“Hans, what is the boy’s name?”

“His name is Anton, his father was French who met his mom when she was on vacation. They were killed in a car accident in France. Anton was in the back seat and broke his legs when the car turned over. He was brought here, she is his only living relative.”

“And the grandmother's name?”

“Hilda Muller, her husband died several years ago of cancer.”

“You seem to know a lot about this family.”

“They were friends of my parents. I visit them when I have the chance.”

“Tell the grandmother I’ll see that the boy has the operation. I’ll need to take him to the States, she is welcome to come along.”

Marie squeezed my arm, I looked at her, she had tears in her eyes and a big smile on her face. I watched Anton and Mrs. Muller's face as Hans explained to them what I said. The boy’s face showed fear. I looked at Hans, he noticed the reaction as well. He said something to the boy and he smiled. I think Hans said he would be with him. The grandmother and Hans talked for a long while, she must have had many questions.

“Hans, we need to get back to the Palace, I have quests for dinner.”

He said something to the driver, and he stepped up the pace. The kids, all three, continued to throw candy at those along the road.

As soon as we approached the entrance to the Palace, several people hurried to assist us inside. “Sir, we are a little late and the cooks are worried.”

“Tell the cooks, I understand and that as soon as we prepared for dinner, we’ll be there. They can start to bring the food to the dining room. Hans, help me to get the children washed.”

We all sat down for dinner, 15 minutes late. The first course was soup and that can be reheated several times and not lose its flavor. I watched as my guests ate their dinner. My Minister nodded. That meant all of the paperwork was signed.

“Minister, I need you to arrange a passport for Anton. I’m taking him back to the States to have his legs repaired. I’d like to do that so he can travel on Wednesday night with the Princess and me.”

That evening, I noticed a towel with blood on it. “Marie, did you cut yourself?”

“No why?” I pointed to the towel. She started to laugh, “I’ll tell you later.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 20
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

40 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Adam is proving himself to be a good leader and a great man. He's already helping so many people at home and now he starts in Liechtenstein. Anton will be fixed and walk again.

yes he will and we will follow his operation and recovery

  • Like 5
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

If you're late for work tell your boss you were reading the new chapter of this story and show it to him.That might work

I'll let Kev comment on this

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, it shows the other kids that the two are considered important and the bulling should end rapidly, Adam is going to become a saint at this rate

He will be to two kids.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Still curious what Adam is doing with the Minister of Finance. So heart warming what Adam did for all the children - now instead of being tormented, they'll be lifted on a pedestal by their friends. All the children's lives were changed when their parents died but Adam is trying his best to correct the curve in the road that life gave them. Anton's life will be forever changed with his operation. So enjoyed this chapter! 

Knowing Adam, we would expect nothing less. I wonder if anyone ever measured his heart, it seems there is no end to what  he does for people 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Sounds like little Miss Anna may've become a lady while with Marie and Adam. Who better to help her through that frightening life changing episode and explain what happened than the lovely Princess Marie ... better known as Mom. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Sounds like little Miss Anna may've become a lady while with Marie and Adam. Who better to help her through that frightening life changing episode and explain what happened than the lovely Princess Marie ... better known as Mom. 

I think Marie will take her under her Carew whelk Marie is there.  I have confidence in Adam to be sure there are no adverse actions as a result of their family aunt

  • Like 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, CLJobe said:

have a good day or should I say did you have a  good day.  Yes Anton will be walking again

Actually to say I work in a charity shop, I actually had a really good day... Its good to see my regulars coming back out not that lockdown is easing more and more so I had a smile on my face all after noon when I came home. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Kev said:

Actually to say I work in a charity shop, I actually had a really good day... Its good to see my regulars coming back out not that lockdown is easing more and more so I had a smile on my face all after noon when I came home. 

Great. A simple smile its worth a million to those who see you

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..