Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,973 Words
  • 2,118 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 144. Chapter 144

Gerry comes into his own

Life comes in stages, and it was soon time for us to go to Liechtenstein for Gerry to take his rightful place as Prince. On the flight over, he was very quiet, and I could see his eyes were glassy from tears. He knew his responsibility, but he also didn’t want to give up his friends and his family. I reached over and pulled him into my side. “Don’t ever forget I’m here. When you feel you need a hug or someone to bounce an idea off of, I’ll be here. I have the copter and plane, so it isn’t a problem for me.”

“Is that why you bought the copter and plane, so you could come to me if I need you?”

“I made a promise to your father, and I expect to keep it as long as God wills it. I didn’t adopt you because your laws wouldn’t let me, but in my mind and in my heart, I have adopted you as my oldest son. I couldn’t love you anymore if I were your real father. I’m in this to the end. I’ll be your shoulder to cry upon and to record the temperature of your heart.”

He looked at me and smiled. “Is that true?”

“I have never lied to you, and I won’t start now.”

I knew he was scared; anyone would be scared to realize they are going to lead a country and be on their own. I had confidence that he’ll do what is right and I’ll be there when he needs me.

Landing, I could feel his nervousness. “Do you remember the last time we were home? Think that this time is just the same. Smile, wave. and stay by my side.”

Hans opened the door, and we heard the music start. Gerry and I walked to the door, placed our hands over our hearts, and stood there until they finished. Then with my hand on his shoulder, we walked down the steps to a waiting car, and we were on our way to the palace.

The ceremony would be on his birthday, and he still had a few days to go. That night Gerry did something he did when his father had died. He crawled in bed with me. He still was sobbing.

“When you get too uptight, call me, and we will go fishing. The plane and copter will be at your beck and call. I think I’m going to buy a smaller plane enough for two people, you and I, and when it gets too much, we’ll fly somewhere where no one will know us.” He chuckled.

“Don’t laugh, you’ll see. You know you have been a part of every decision I have made about our country, so you are knowledgeable. You have a lot of friends pulling for you and a country that loves you.”

“And you.”

“Yes, and me.”

Eventually, he fell asleep. He was still sleeping when I got dressed. I had to wear my royal clothes, as Marie calls them. They were a little concerned when he wasn’t in his rooms until they looked in mine and saw him sleeping.

“I was sitting down to breakfast when he walked in. Just like old times, he sat on my lap to have his breakfast. “You remember when you did this, I thought I was holding the most precious little boy in the world.”

“And now”

“I’m still holding that little boy. Did you have a visitor last night?”

He jumped up and spilled my coffee on me. “How did you know?”

“Cause I had one also. Your father came and told me how proud he is of you and to thank me for taking good care of you and his country.”

“How do you know it was him?”

I reached into my pocket and took out a ring, “Do you know what this is?”

“Yes, I lost it years ago. Where did you find it? My mother gave me that ring. It was hers.”

“Your father told me where it was and said it was for you to give to your princess.”

Then the tears started to flow. Sobbing, “I thought it was a dream, but it wasn’t. He said he has watched over me and is very proud of me. He said he knew he made the right choice in selecting you as my guardian. He told me what I had to do, and I’ll do it when we sign the papers.”

“What are you going to do?”

“I can’t tell you, State secret.”

I grabbed him and started tickling him, at last laughter. When he quieted down, “I’m not afraid anymore.”

I hugged him and went to change my clothes.

It was after supper when the ministers came and told me what was going to happen tomorrow. What I would say, how I would show deference to the Prince and then remove my crown and place it on his head, step back as he rose as the Prince of Liechtenstein.

The following day I didn’t see Gerry until dinner time. He said he was praying for guidance for him and me. I wonder why me.

At 2 pm we went to the church, bells were ringing, people were in the streets, the news people were there with cameras.

“Walking into church, the pews were full of dignitaries and some of his classmates. I saw Richard, nodded, and proceeded to the front of the church. I stood and faced the audience. Gerry knelt before the priest and me. A hush fell over the crowd. Father offered a prayer asking for God’s blessing and guidance. I saw a smile on Gerry’s face, and now I knew something was up.

Father indicated that it was time for me to remove my circle and place it on Gerry’s head. I said the words in German that I practiced all morning and placed my crown on Gerry’s head. The priest stood back, in German, “It is God’s will that I present to you Prince Hans Adam the third von Liechtenstein. As Gerry stood, the church grew quiet, ‘I ask for your guidance as I fill the responsibilities of my father and my teacher. I have been away a lot, learning how to provide a fair and honest government for my people and our lands. I need your prayers and patience as I learn and your forgiveness when I make an error.”

The priest took my arm and asked me to kneel before Gerry. I was confused. I looked at him. He smiled, winked, and then touched his heart. He moved his hand as if it was hot. “I had a teacher, a friend, and someone who looked upon me, not as a Prince, but as a young boy who needed guidance and love. He was a protector of not only our country but of me as well. He has made difficult decisions, he has shown me fairness, and best of all, he has shown me love. Therefore, I place this ring of gold on his head. When he speaks, he speaks for me as well as our country. Give him the same devotion you give to me because he is my earthly father while my heavenly father looks over us both and our country.”

He asked me to stand beside him. The priest offered us both communion and gave us both his blessing.

When we left the church, the horse-drawn carriage was waiting, Hans and Josef were on the back, I let Gerry get on first, and then I followed. He nudged me and smiled. In a low voice, “Dad told me to do that. He said I would need your wisdom at times, and this way, I can learn and have you near me.”

“So your Dad did come to you.”

“Yes, I didn’t believe it until you showed me the ring. You wouldn’t know anything about it unless Dad told you.”

“We are going to have fun unless our hearts catch on fire.”

He laughed as he waved to the crowd. Little girls brought a bouquet of flowers. I slipped him coins to give them. “Where did you get these?”

“Hans”

The little boys waved. Some were brave enough to come and get a handshake and a coin as well. When we reached the castle, the staff welcomed us, I never had anyone ever bow to me, but they did that day. I passed it off as they were bowing to Gerry and not me.

There was a ballroom, which I didn’t know existed, all decorated. An orchestra played music, and then I heard the national anthem as Gerry and I walked into the ballroom. I cheated and let Gerry go a few steps ahead of me. He stopped as he and I saluted our flag. Then the circus began. People came up to him and congratulated him and told me thanks for taking care of him all of these years.

“You were surprised.”

“Richard, I was more than surprised. It’s nice to see you, although I expected you’d be here.”

“He has given you a gift that not many Americans will ever get.”

“Not many Americans will ever have the chance of knowing Gerry as I do. He was a bunch of nerves flying over here. He said he would feel lost. I assured him I’m only a plane ride away.”

“While you are here, you and I need to sit and have a chat, one on one.”

“I thought all of our chats were one on one.”

“This will be a little different. Not everything is as it seems. There are two worlds here, one most people see and one only a few are privilege to see.”

I knew which world he was talking about. I’ve been to enough graduation parties to understand the drift of things. But if the goals don’t correspond to mine, then I’ll not be part of any conspiracy, and neither would Gerry.

I watched Gerry, and the girls kept looking at him, trying to catch his eye. “You seem to be the center of attention. The young ladies have not taken their eyes off you.”

“Before I look at the girls, I need to see pictures. I want a Marie.”

“Well, there are only two Maria’s. One is married to this charming man, and the other isn’t ready for marriage, but I guess you can wait.”

“I’m not sure I can wait. She seems to be taken by another young man.”

“So, as part of my duty, I’ll help you find a Marie for you.”

We laughed since he knew I wouldn’t do that. He needs to find his own, and the hunt is part of the game.

“You know I’m afraid of that. What would happen if I met someone who was nice and all, and then after we got married, she turned into my mother-in-law?”

“I would take her for a plane ride.”

“Is that like a car ride, one way?”

“You got it. Seriously, we’ll find out what kind of person she is before you get too serious. Just remember beauty isn’t everything. Some of us just lucked out. Billy asked me one time what my perfect woman for me would be like. I’ll share that with you. Remember you have time. I was in my late twenties when I met Marie. I had my doctorate and was teaching for a few years. I wasn’t in a hurry, and neither should you. You should dance with the girls. Give them a beautiful moment.”

I laughed as he put his hand on my heart, made like his hand was hot. I watched as he approached the first girl and asked her to dance, then I think the girls all lined up. He must have dance most of the night.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 16
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What an awesome gesture by Gerry and smart also what his Dad told him in his sleep was very wise.There is no doubt Gerry will attempt to do what is right but sometimes the best intentions are foiled because of complications only governments can have you need good advisors.I suspect there will be a lot of Skype calls between Gerry and Adam in the future

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

What an awesome gesture by Gerry and smart also what his Dad told him in his sleep was very wise.There is no doubt Gerry will attempt to do what is right but sometimes the best intentions are foiled because of complications only governments can have you need good advisors.I suspect there will be a lot of Skype calls between Gerry and Adam in the future

Yes and visits as well, I'm sure

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

What an awesome gesture by Gerry and smart also what his Dad told him in his sleep was very wise.There is no doubt Gerry will attempt to do what is right but sometimes the best intentions are foiled because of complications only governments can have you need good advisors.I suspect there will be a lot of Skype calls between Gerry and Adam in the future

And a lot of visits.  Adam will be in contact with Gerry a lot

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter. What a fantastic gesture by Gerry, Adam will always be there for him.

Yes he will. Adam is looked upon as his father, as such he will be communicating a lot with Adam as well as Adam with Gerry.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

An amazing turn of events!

Gerry's father will continue tol advise Gerry and only call upon Adam as necessary.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great emotional chapter, Gerry will be a very reasonable but careful leader , I have no doubt he will be tough on the errant idiots who will try him , Adam I think will be his emotional support, 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

WOW ... totally amazing... Prince Hans Adam III. Totally love the title, did he adopt the name Adam or was it always part of his name?

Sooo, since the ring of gold was placed back on Adam's head does that mean that he is still a prince or a type of consort??? 

Totally love that Gerry is looking for a Mini Marie... Will he be heading back to college or will he be staying in the country now?

Loving it:thankyou:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great emotional chapter, Gerry will be a very reasonable but careful leader , I have no doubt he will be tough on the errant idiots who will try him , Adam I think will be his emotional support, 

I have a feeling Adam will ride gun shot for him as a father rides gun shot for his son

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Kev said:

WOW ... totally amazing... Prince Hans Adam III. Totally love the title, did he adopt the name Adam or was it always part of his name?

Sooo, since the ring of gold was placed back on Adam's head does that mean that he is still a prince or a type of consort??? 

Totally love that Gerry is looking for a Mini Marie... Will he be heading back to college or will he be staying in the country now?

Loving it:thankyou:

Gerry added the name in honor of Adam. Adam is the father prince, that would mean in Gerry's absence, Adam would be ion a position to rule.  From the populace point of view, they both are to be honored as a Prince Gerry will stay in his country now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I don’t think it’s totally unheard of that a royalty would take another name upon ascending to the throne.  Where did ‘Gerry’ come from?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..