Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,147 Words
  • 1,690 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 119. Chapter 119

“Doc, Brad wants you to give him a call when you are back in your office.”

“Make that two cups when you return.”

I called Brad, “I found your accounts payable person, we’ll be right down.”

Have you ever notice our colloquialism, even if we are on the lowest level and need to go up to an office or place, we always say ‘be right down.’

James walked in with the coffees, Brad followed. “Thank you, James. Hello Annie, it’s nice to see you again.” Brad slipped a paper to me, it was a salary recommendation.

“Adam, I think we have found the person for the accounts payable function.”

“Now don’t tell me,” I placed the piece of paper Brad had given to me on my brow as Johnny Carson did on his tonight show, “Yes, I hear a name, the paper is whispering a name, it is Andrea no that isn’t right, it’s coming, it’s you Annie.”

Brad laughed, “Annie, welcome aboard, James, come here please.”

“James, let me introduce you to your new boss”

“You got the job”

She smiled, “Yes and now we can get married.”

James told me later that her salary at the county was minimum wage. They wanted to save enough for a nice wedding and a honeymoon.

“Just remember you two, there are young gentlemen here and no not need a class in making out. Except for Evan, someone already gave him a degree. On-site business, off-site business I don’t want to hear about it. Now git”

“I’ve checked everything and it looks pretty good. There are some invoices which are being paid late but evidently, the suppliers don’t mind. That should be taken care of with Annie on board. With that said, I’m on my way home. My copter will be here shortly.”

“Thanks, Brad, the position is still open. Tell Dad I said thanks as well. I guess we’ll see you in the Spring.”

“Unless you need me. You have some great boys here.”

I called Marie to get the latest update, Anton was doing well and there is a slim chance they will be back this coming Monday.”

 

Walking into the school, I saw Gerry, putting my arm around him, “come with me”

Sitting down in my office, Gerry made himself comfortable on my lap, “Son, has our country ever had a participant in the Olympics?”

“Yes, in the winter Olympics”

“Have we ever won a gold medal?”

“No, I know we had several bronze medals and I think one silver medal. The next time we go there we can check.”

“At the next summer Olympics, we’re going to win a gold medal.” He looked confused. “Billy is going to run under our flag.”

“He’s a US runner.”

“Not any longer, they kicked him off the team and now we’re going to make them sorry. Maybe we’ll take gold and silver.”

“Where’s he going to train, he’s still in college?”

“He’s going to train here. He’ll use the internet and perhaps a little help from staff if needed. There is something more?”

“Your angel giving you a nudge?”

He placed his hand on my chest and smiled.

“If all goes well this weekend, Anton may be coming home Monday. Let’s have a surprise party for him.”

 

Anton was released Monday morning, the helicopter brought them all home. When the copter landed, the boys had a big surprise ready and in fact, I was surprised as well. The band welcomes him with music I never heard before, he was all smiles, they all were. It was good to have everyone back. Caleb had fixed a snack, there was a small dish of ice cream with fruit.

I wanted to see a certain doctor, I got a kiss and all of the boys clapped, all except Evan, he was waiting for his kiss as well. I rubbed his head as he ran back to the Dining Hall with the rest of the boys. While they were having their snack, I had a chance to talk to Doc and Marie about moving him to one of the staff rooms with his grandmother.

“Adam, I think he would be better off in the infirmary. We are set up for him and he’ll be more comfortable.”

“Ok, after he has his snack, he can be moved to the infirmary.”

I had a cup of coffee as Doc and Marie went to fix the infirmary. They had brought a sling for his legs, but it had to be set up. “Father”

“Yes, son” “Can I sleep in the infirmary with Anton?”

“That’s a very good idea” I don’t know how I do it but smiles and hugs, we have to check the temperature of our chests.

There were a few more boys than just Gerry that ended up spending time with Anton.

 

We spent another weekend at the cabin. I smiled as I saw the picnic tables, but what really surprised me were the solar heaters that were installed. The lake temperature had dropped, not too many wanted to go swimming or fishing, a few went out with Abe. The rest of the boys wanted to go and gather apples. They starter to tell the story of Evan falling out of the tree. It was too cold for the boys to use their shirts, some of the older boys went and got a few pails, then it was apple picking time. I saw a berry bush which I hadn’t see before. I only saw it by accident when several birds flew out of the thicket when the boys got close.

I picked a juicy blackberry, “Are they good to eat.”

“I stuck it in his mouth. His eyes got wide as well as his smile. I showed him how to pick some, he had a handful and ran back to the apple pickers. Soon several boys were heading to the berry patch.

Abe came up with a few pails. “I was wondering how long it would take them to find the berry patch. Do you think they could pick a few buckets full for dessert tonight?”

“Let’s ask them, boys, Abe said if we pick a few pails full we can have some for dessert tonight.”

He just held out the pails, I laughed, two in the mouth, one in the pail. “Are there other berry patches?”

“Yes, Jer and I spent a lot of time here and we found a wild strawberry patch. But I think it would be best if Jer and I pick them, there aren’t that many and with the way they are eating those blackberries, you won’t have any for desserts.”

Buckets full of apples, pails full of blackberries we headed back to the cabin. I noticed a few hands dipping into the blackberry pails. If we have half left, it’d be a miracle.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 17
  • Haha 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, chris191070 said:

It's great to see Anton back at the Accademy. Another great weekend had by all at the cabin.

Yes, Anton will be much happier at the Academy.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

When I was married we had an allotment next to a bridge and the blackberries grew right up the bridge. My sons and I used to take massive ladders down and pick berries right from the top ( though I was not brace enough to look down! ). We lived on the Bramble jelly that my ex made for the whole of winter and we were even able to supply the family with jars as well. The cupboard under the stairs wall would be lined with the jars... The kids loved it, but it was the licking of them and the munch of them straight from the bush that they loved all the more( Purple hands and purple mouths...)

I wonder if it is a coincidence that Anne just happens to have gotten the job... right person, right place??? Hey I was available and they never interviewed me!🤣🤣🤣

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, purrbaby said:

Did I miss Billy getting kicked off track team?

Yes, he was training and asked Adam to come and help.  The trainer wasn't doing his job and Billy thought that trainer was putting the boys at risk. He asked Adam to help him.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Wonder how many readers remember Jonny Carson and his skit with Carnac the Magnificent, some funny stuff back then!!

For those who don't know, TV was invented just after the dinosaurs perished!!😆

Reporters’ Notebook: Oct. 23, 2018 – The Buffalo News

 

 

Oh yeah I saw that.I wasn't watching when it first aired because I wasn't around then.I saw it on a DVD:whistle:LOL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Wonder how many readers remember Jonny Carson and his skit with Carnac the Magnificent, some funny stuff back then!!

For those who don't know, TV was invented just after the dinosaurs perished!!😆

Reporters’ Notebook: Oct. 23, 2018 – The Buffalo News

 

 

Probably only us older folks. Late night tv.  I don't know if other countries carried his program 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

You mentioned something about a band welcoming Anton with music I assume the school has a music dept.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

Probably only us older folks. Late night tv.  I don't know if other countries carried his program 

I remember hearing that another country started  carrying his show I think it was England but I'm not sure.I remember talking about that with a few people and we thought the that they would understand his monologue because it topical with American politics

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Kev said:

When I was married we had an allotment next to a bridge and the blackberries grew right up the bridge. My sons and I used to take massive ladders down and pick berries right from the top ( though I was not brace enough to look down! ). We lived on the Bramble jelly that my ex made for the whole of winter and we were even able to supply the family with jars as well. The cupboard under the stairs wall would be lined with the jars... The kids loved it, but it was the licking of them and the munch of them straight from the bush that they loved all the more( Purple hands and purple mouths...)

I wonder if it is a coincidence that Anne just happens to have gotten the job... right person, right place??? Hey I was available and they never interviewed me!🤣🤣🤣

You may not have liked living with James, Anne did.

It is amusing what we find in common as we grow older. It just proves we all are the same, in a way.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

You mentioned something about a band welcoming Anton with music I assume the school has a music dept.

Yes, they do have a music department

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

I remember hearing that another country started  carrying his show I think it was England but I'm not sure.I remember talking about that with a few people and we thought the that they would understand his monologue because it topical with American politics

In that case, I'm sure it was England unless they doubt in their language which would have lost the humor.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/9/2021 at 4:02 PM, weinerdog said:

Oh yeah I saw that.I wasn't watching when it first aired because I wasn't around then.I saw it on a DVD:whistle:LOL

So the dinosaurs perishing was just after you were born? 😂😂😂😂

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..