Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,068 Words
  • 2,290 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 122. Chapter 122

Friday the buses left, but not before Caleb and Gaston had stocked them for the weekend. Arriving at the cabin, I was surprised to see the picnic tables covered with solar batteries. Under each roof was a heating element in front of a small fan. The big surprise was when I walked into the cabin. The kitchen was enlarged into the living area, three huge ovens were installed as were two large dishwashers. “Evelyn, where did this all come from?”

“You father arrange for the delivery and installation, there was a new propane tank installed as well.”

I looked into the room that George kept his junk, it was clean. One wall contained shelves that were stocked with can goods and across that was another freezer. “Your dad had two more freezers installed in the basement. There’s a door in the back. Abe can show you?”

I followed Abe to the back and there appeared to be a storm cellar with a steel cover. Abe unlocked the door, I followed. Sure enough there were two more freezers, both empty. I turned to leave when Hans entered the cellar. “We have to go and buy a lot of meat?”

“Why don’t we ask the butcher at the store in town to order the meat? He could cut it and the boys could bring it here.”

“We need to have Caleb and Gaston make out a list.”

I called dad, “Dad what is all of this, freezers, and ovens, why didn’t you tell me?”

“Were you surprised ?”

‘Yes”

“That is why I didn’t tell you. Mom and I are coming up tomorrow, I have some bills for you.”

“Ok boys, you need to sit and plan some healthy meals for the weekends. Include the fish the boys will catch. There are two empty freezers in the basement and a small one in George’s junk room.”

When I left the cabin, all of the boys were sitting at the tables without jackets. I went and sat down, it was quite comfortable. “Father, we could use these at home.” I knew he didn’t mean the Academy.

“Yes, we could put them in the parks and the people could have picnics even when it got cold. Tell Hans, he has some men over there that can do that.”

Everyone was quiet, listening to the evening sounds and fish jumping. I saw the smiles on some of the boys' faces so I knew we would be fishing tomorrow.

I wanted to talk to Abe and Jer about school. They were supposed to be enrolled online. Walking into the cabin, Evelyn was sitting at the kitchen table, talking to Caleb and Gaston. I sat down and was served a cup of coffee with a few cookies. I passed the cookies on to Evelyn. “I was wondering how the boys are doing with the online education system I set them up on.”

“Abe is doing very well. If he isn’t doing something around the property, he's either on the internet or has his nose in a book. Jer is doing as well. He’s a little slower and will need more time.”

“I'd like to test them the next time I’m here. I have some tests I give to the students for placement. I’d like to see what they could do on those tests.” She smiled. I took my coffee and went to sit on the porch.

Soon Marie came and sat with me, Gerry came and sat on the other side. My two favorite people, I was happy or maybe content is a better word.

Caleb came out, “I have some turkey sausage to roast on the fire pit, is that ok?”

Gerry was gone in a shot and soon all the boys headed for the chalets and the fire pit. The sticks that were used for toasting marshmallows, were now cleaned and ready for the sausages.

Hans had the fire going, Caleb started to put the sausages on the sticks, I noticed a stainless steel screen laid over the pit. Not a bad idea, I knew that one of the sticks would burn and the sausage would drop. Gaston brought a basket filled with buns and a few bottles of catsup and mustard.”

It’s always fun to watch boys learning something new. The sticks were heavy on the end with the sausage, as they cooked the fat dropped down on the fire and there would be a small flare-up. I remembered that we had a metal forked rod with a wooden handle. I wondered if Dad brought that with him when we were cleaning out the garage at home. I walked to the garage, and there were a few boxes that we hadn’t had a chance to empty. There wasn’t a hurry. There were no roasting rods but there were a few old forks. I took a broom handle, cut off about a 2-foot section, and nailed the fork to the broom handle. I took my roasting rod to the fire, placed two sausages on it, and starter to roast them.

Marie laughed, Gerry looked, and when he saw what I had. “Where did you get that?”

“I made it. As soon as my sausages are done you can use it.”

Of course, now everyone was looking. Hans looked and laughed, I knew by next week everyone will want one. “I’ll buy some metal roasting forks next week.”

“You should check out the junk store in town. They may not have exactly what you need but you could always use your imagination.” She was laughing at my roasting rod. She came and took the cooked sausage, Gerry was there with sausage to put it on the makeshift rod, “You could do two”

“He looked around and saw Frau Muller sitting there watching Anton. I watched as he put two on the rod, when they were done, he took one to Frau Muller, she smiled and thanked him. He ate the other one and passed the rod on. I think everyone used the rod, they shared as well as the double sausages.

The night started to turn cool “Hans, let the fire die out, when it is very low, the boys can get ready for bed'

“Are you running in the morning?”.

“I think there will still be a chill in the air, will run before dinner or maybe take a slow jog.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 22
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

56 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Are they in a part of the country where it snows?I ask because what will the cabin trips be like in the winter

Good question . I know that cabin is 6 hour drive from Dam's home.  it must get cold because of the need for solar heat. if I had to take a guess, I'd say it probably snows to some extent

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Nothing like a weiner roast around an open fire ... unlike the trustee ass roasting! LOL!!! LOL!!! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

I know there are 110 boys now and more to come, but no way would I want the encroachment on my living space as described!  :wub:  Since there seems to be so much space to build there, either build on to the back of the cabin to enlarge the kitchen area (I wouldn’t mind a nice BIG kitchen), or better yet, build a separate building to house the kitchen, considering the level and amount of activity and food to be prepared.  This kitchen will be active from 5 am until 7 pm and even later!.  The cabin is no longer a building for vacation getaway. Its an Admin building for a campsite for the Academy.  I suppose Adam and Marie could always use George’s cabin as a getaway cabin, but it IS across the lake.  Adam wouldn’t like that.

OK. Enough rant.

That fork must have been made of tin, if Adam was able to nail through it.  I can just imagine what was going through Frau Muller’s mind as she watched the proceedings.  She probably thought about how crazy the Americans are! But grilled sausages are SO good!  A friend of mine taught me to soak them in a beer and onion bath for an hour before throwing them on the grill.  YUM!  And don’t forget to toast the rolls on the grill, too!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

It just occurred to me that Adam is going to have to update the admission portfolio for the kids to include permission slips for them to go on these weekend trips, as well as any other off-campus activities.  Medical proxy would already be covered.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

It just occurred to me that Adam is going to have to update the admission portfolio for the kids to include permission slips for them to go on these weekend trips, as well as any other off-campus activities.  Medical proxy would already be covered.

Yes, as new students arrive , it needs to be a part of the admission forms

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Clancy59 said:

I know there are 110 boys now and more to come, but no way would I want the encroachment on my living space as described!  :wub:  Since there seems to be so much space to build there, either build on to the back of the cabin to enlarge the kitchen area (I wouldn’t mind a nice BIG kitchen), or better yet, build a separate building to house the kitchen, considering the level and amount of activity and food to be prepared.  This kitchen will be active from 5 am until 7 pm and even later!.  The cabin is no longer a building for vacation getaway. Its an Admin building for a campsite for the Academy.  I suppose Adam and Marie could always use George’s cabin as a getaway cabin, but it IS across the lake.  Adam wouldn’t like that.

OK. Enough rant.

That fork must have been made of tin, if Adam was able to nail through it.  I can just imagine what was going through Frau Muller’s mind as she watched the proceedings.  She probably thought about how crazy the Americans are! But grilled sausages are SO good!  A friend of mine taught me to soak them in a beer and onion bath for an hour before throwing them on the grill.  YUM!  And don’t forget to toast the rolls on the grill, too!

I think  I'm going to grill for dinner tonight. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Simply brilliant...what an example for the boys!

Ingenuity at it's best!!

There were no roasting rods but there were a few old forks. I took a broom handle, cut off about a 2-foot section, and nailed the fork to the broom handle. I took my roasting rod to the fire, placed two sausages on it, and starter to roast them.

You can imagine those boys when they saw that make-shift roasting rod

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

Nothing like a weiner roast around an open fire ... unlike the trustee ass roasting! LOL!!! LOL!!! 

I can't remember anytime when sitting around a fire roasting hot dogs didn't make you feel special.  Especially when combined with story telling.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

The times at the cabin are showing the boys the true meaning of family.

yes, it's an experience they will never forget. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

they are located where the weather gets cold but not cold enough for snow.  a frost in the early morning which burns off by afternoon.

They don’t get to have snowball fights or build snowmen!  😢

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great chapter,the boys learn a new skill or how the do something every time they go "home" to the cabin, Adam is teaching more life skills which cannot be learned but need to be experienced

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter,the boys learn a new skill or how the do something every time they go "home" to the cabin, Adam is teaching more life skills which cannot be learned but need to be experienced

And best of all, the life are being taught by experience, that way it will never be forgotten. CL in my opinion this is one of your best stories yet. Can't wait to read the rest. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Freddie1 said:

And best of all, the life are being taught by experience, that way it will never be forgotten. CL in my opinion this is one of your best stories yet. Can't wait to read the rest. 

thank you. there are several more chapters

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

They don’t get to have snowball fights or build snowmen!  😢

no, but it does get cold

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter,the boys learn a new skill or how the do something every time they go "home" to the cabin, Adam is teaching more life skills which cannot be learned but need to be experienced

yes, they would never learn those skills at school or at home. Boys being boys, a great experience they will never forget

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Clancy59 said:

It just occurred to me that Adam is going to have to update the admission portfolio for the kids to include permission slips for them to go on these weekend trips, as well as any other off-campus activities.  Medical proxy would already be covered.

yes, he will need to do that

  • Like 2
Link to comment

These boys are getting a wonderful education both in school and at the chalets they are getting an education in living in the outdoors, what with the fishing, fruit picking and running it’s a great experience for them 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..