Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,231 Words
  • 2,348 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 76. Chapter 76

“Adam, your mom and I are going to Steve’s cabin for a few weeks. He has been asking us down, and we usually spend two weeks with him and Alma.”

“Ok, have a nice time and bring back some lobsters for me.”

The weekend was over, Johnny was going to ride back with me. We did do a run Monday morning, my usual. Mom had one of her breakfast burritos, which we ate on the way. Johnny had a thermos of orange juice and I had coffee.

“Sir, what are these called?”

“They are called breakfast burritos, they have scrambled egg, cheese, and turkey bacon. Some people use real bacon but I like turkey bacon better.”

“Can we have these for breakfast sometimes?”

“Sure, remind me to talk to Marcel when we get to school. I think my mom packed another one, rolled in aluminum foil to keep warm.”

He looked and smiled. “This one tastes different.”

“That is a Mexican burrito, besides egg and cheese it has black beans, a little spicy right.”

“Yes, but it's good also”

“Which do you prefer?”

“Can we have both?”

“Sure, you know they make sandwiches also with the tortilla shells. They are good in place of bread. Maybe we can try those one night for supper.”

“Sir, I enjoyed this weekend. I know the others will enjoy it as well.”

“Johnny, I’ll try my best to see that everyone has an opportunity and you'll have another visit as well. But I promise not to wake you like I did Saturday morning”

“Thank you, sir, I enjoyed my weekend.”

Arriving at the Academy, “No, Johnny thank you. You need to hurry for breakfast.” He started off and then stop and realize what I said, he laughed and headed into the building.

I parked the car, entered the building, and on a hunch, I went to check out the pool. The lights were on, The basketball floor was polished, the pool was being cleaned. The locker room fans were on and one of the shower areas was very clean. Someone has been busy.

“James, what is on the docket this week.”

“The furniture you ordered for the Study room will be delivered either Friday or Saturday. The internet is connected to the satellite, the walls in Arlenes’ office are coming down, you have a meeting with Angelo, Abel has a few sign designs for the study, and your office cubicles are being made off-site, Seth is due here at one.

“I hope you can keep track of that and keep me on schedule. Add to it, I need to meet with Marcel and Johnny. We need to notify the winners of the auction and offer additional bottles, as we had agreed. I need you to find the cost of renting busses and where there is a scout park big enough for the boys, also do they have accommodations.”

“You also have mail to answer and letters to write. This letter you should open in your office behind closed doors. It was delivered by carrier.”

Now what, no sooner do I get organize than something pops up that displaces all my plans. “Here is a coffee, you might need it.”

I open the letter, noting the seal. Dear Sir, I’m writing this letter on the behalf of my son. He has asked me to inform you that he’d like to bestow upon you the title of SIR. I am pleased with this and if it meets with your approval, please respond as to the appropriate time. Respectively

“James, can you read this name?”

“No, but when would you like this done sir?”

“I’m not sure and in fact, I’m not sure an American citizen can accept a title.”

James walked away, but not before I saw the smile on his face.

I began on answering mail, composing letters to parents. “James, is there a place where I can get photos from my camera. I have a digital camera and would like to include some photos in the letters.”

“Yes, there is a place in town, give me your camera and I’ll take care of it at lunchtime.”

“Take care of it after Dinner”

 

Writing letters is not that complicate, I know that the addresses are not necessarily the correct address. Most of these addresses are dropbox addresses. I did include that we have uncovered an area for swimming and playing indoor sports. I indicated that all sports will be under the direction of our Athletic Coach and will require a medical check by our resident doctor. I included a permission slip to be returned as soon as possible.

By the time dinner arrived, I had completed 75 percent of my correspondence. The rest I would finish before supper. I walked into the “Dining Hall”, I like that sign. Today’s fare was beef stew served in a pie shell. It looked good and with a salad would be a good balanced Dinner. Johnny held court as he told about me waking them at 4:30 and making them run, the boys would look at me when he mentioned fishing. Yes, I’d be taking more boys home with me.

When I return to my office I included a permission slip allowing me to take the boys to the cabin for a weekend. Somehow between Johnny and James, I started to get phone calls. I took my time to explain that I had a 4 bedroom cabin on a lake, yes my fiancee is a medical doctor and also lives on the lake. The cabin is remote and there is a security system on the cabin but not the property. Will anyone else be there? Yes, my mother and father and best friend frequently stay there. Would it be ok if we provide security? Yes, it would be ok if you wish to have your security personnel there. However, they must not be overt. Yes, they can stay at the cabin. What I mean by overt, no visible guns and they must not be in uniform.

I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. There was a lot of buzz at the tables over the next few days.

Seth had worked a plan with raised boards that would permit the horses to roll downhill, They would roll in opposite directions, crossing over about midway. I thought that would work and gave the go-ahead. He reviewed the booths, things like kettle corn, candy apples, and spun sugar, There were a few food booths, hot dogs on a stick, pretzels, I had to think about funnel cakes.

"Seth, how about shrimp barbies?"

"Yes, we could do that and barbecued ribs."

"Only if they are beef or lamb, no pork. I expected our kitchen staff to have a booth as well and the food will be more attractive to our people. ”

Food settled, for entertainment besides the jousting, magicians, jugglers, and crafts, like basket weaving. I wanted a lot of pictures. Seth left with a good idea of what I wanted. I need to tell Angelo, I wanted his art department to showcase their art and to put a reasonable price on it for the benefit of the artist. I asked the musician to prepare some music to play, and on the last day, fireworks. I put James on getting the permits and lining up the fire department to set them off.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 20
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Adam may want to think of putting up an additional small cabin for the supplemental personnel who accompany some of his young guests.  They would still be able to patrol the property, but not be intrusive to the boys (or Adam’s family) who enjoy the time at the cabin.

That idea on how to use with the rolling horses is so clever! It will be interesting to see how he plans to ‘dress’ the jousters.  I wish I could come and visit the Faire.  I love Renaissance Faires! Don’t forget the turkey legs, LOL! They are traditional at the faires.  I hope there will be things for the boys to try, like archery or wrestling.  It sounds like a fun weekend.  Will there be troubadours or storytellers?  Just thoughts to add.  The Librarian could be the storyteller—she just needs to research some stories (I know I could/would do it.).  I can hardly wait!  I hope some of the parents will be able to attend with their sons.  It would make it even more special for the boys.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Sir Adam of the Knights... The boys would love that Adam becomes Sir Adam. Just imagine Marie and Mum in all of their finery watching the man they loving being knighted Sir Adam... Shows that those that do good things, good things come to them. I absolutely love it! The question is, was it a British knighthood or some distant European connection? My question is, do I have to bow to Adam when he comes visiting next? I know that with most titled nobility that it would be a requirement.🥰:thankyou:

I think you would bow to Adam and a lot more if he came to see you.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, mikedup said:

I think that he can be a sir , the end of year festival is going to be a blast. the boys are going to have fun at the cabin 

You are right and American can be knighted by the ruling monarch. I don't think Adam really doesn't want to be  knighted.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

Sir Adam of the Knights... The boys would love that Adam becomes Sir Adam. Just imagine Marie and Mum in all of their finery watching the man they loving being knighted Sir Adam... Shows that those that do good things, good things come to them. I absolutely love it! The question is, was it a British knighthood or some distant European connection? My question is, do I have to bow to Adam when he comes visiting next? I know that with most titled nobility that it would be a requirement.🥰:thankyou:

I am sure if Adam made a visit to your home you would do more than bow to him.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

For someone to be bestowed a title is a great honor as well as a huge compliment from the one asking it be bestowed. Adam is fully deserving and hopefully will accept in order not to show disrespect. It is fiction after all :) Looks like the gymnasium is coming along nicely - polished floors, cleaned pool and lockers - very nice. I wondered when the security questions would begin to arise regarding taking the lot to the cabin. I can't imagine how much security is already around the school as it is that hasn't been mentioned. Talk about Adam's army ... there's probably literally a small army outside the school protecting them all. Let's hope anyway!

Adam will not accept the offer. He's concerned that the boys will relate to him differently.  Now he is a father substitute, as a Knight they would be required to honor him on a different plateau.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Adam may want to think of putting up an additional small cabin for the supplemental personnel who accompany some of his young guests.  They would still be able to patrol the property, but not be intrusive to the boys (or Adam’s family) who enjoy the time at the cabin.

That idea on how to use with the rolling horses is so clever! It will be interesting to see how he plans to ‘dress’ the jousters.  I wish I could come and visit the Faire.  I love Renaissance Faires! Don’t forget the turkey legs, LOL! They are traditional at the faires.  I hope there will be things for the boys to try, like archery or wrestling.  It sounds like a fun weekend.  Will there be troubadours or storytellers?  Just thoughts to add.  The Librarian could be the storyteller—she just needs to research some stories (I know I could/would do it.).  I can hardly wait!  I hope some of the parents will be able to attend with their sons.  It would make it even more special for the boys.

Are you sure we aren't related? I also love the fairs and turkey legs, I usually buy one to eat there and one to take home. Seth will have his usual fair package, without vendors. The boys will have a ball and being at the end of the term, parents should be there to take their children home. I'll have James write a quick piece on it

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Sir Adam, how the legend grows!

This brings back memories of the movie classic, To Sir With Love

  • Like 2
Link to comment
CLJobe

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

Sir Adam, how the legend grows!

This brings back memories of the movie classic, To Sir With Love

Wasn't that a spy movie with OO7?  I don't think there will be a Sir Adam.  Would not be appropriate with the boys. A prince would be a subject of a Knight.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Wasn't that a spy movie with OO7?  I don't think there will be a Sir Adam.  Would not be appropriate with the boys. A prince would be a subject of a Knight.

From the movie To Sir With Love with Sidney Poitier, theme song by Petula Clark

To Sir, with Love (1967) YIFY - Download Movie TORRENT - YTS

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

From the movie To Sir With Love with Sidney Poitier, theme song by Petula Clark

To Sir, with Love (1967) YIFY - Download Movie TORRENT - YTS

 

Thanks, I don't remember this movie.  I'll need to look it up.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Are you sure we aren't related? I also love the fairs and turkey legs, I usually buy one to eat there and one to take home. Seth will have his usual fair package, without vendors. The boys will have a ball and being at the end of the term, parents should be there to take their children home. I'll have James write a quick piece on it

 

The Librarian could look up and learn the many stories of King Arthur and his Knights.  There are many which make good fodder for storytelling.  If she’s any good in her profession, she’ll be able to make quite a show of it.  She’ll need a costume, of course.  :wizard:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

The Librarian could look up and learn the many stories of King Arthur and his Knights.  There are many which make good fodder for storytelling.  If she’s any good in her profession, she’ll be able to make quite a show of it.  She’ll need a costume, of course.  :wizard:

Of course and that hat on your emoji would be perfect. I think she was afraid of losing her job as she remembers what Adam did with the other directors 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

yes my finance is a medical doctor — Woops, your spell checker put in the wrong word.

Oh, oh, shrimp, lpbster, octapuss — I assume from that menu that none of your boys are Jewish! Remember that an orthodox Jew can eat any seafood that has scales, but that eliminates many of the goodies from the hidden storage areas.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

yes my finance is a medical doctor — Woops, your spell checker put in the wrong word.

Oh, oh, shrimp, lpbster, octapuss — I assume from that menu that none of your boys are Jewish! Remember that an orthodox Jew can eat any seafood that has scales, but that eliminates many of the goodies from the hidden storage areas.

Yes, but my guess as always the case, when you tell a  child no, they must taste it. I think there was enough choices that those who were Jewish, could still find enough food to eat. If you also noted there was pork as well

'

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..