Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 864 Words
  • 1,984 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 94. Chapter 94

“Good morning gentlemen and Knights, it's good to see our Square Table has expanded. I would like the Knights to please stand. I would like for each of you to move behind one of the boys who are sitting. Thank you.”

“What are you going to do now?”

“Knights, in the time of King Author, each Knight was charged with the training of another person, that person had the title of Squire. Knights, the person in front of you is your Squire. You are to remind him in the ways of King Arthur, you are to help him become a Knight of the Square Table. You are to see that he’s well-taken care of because in a battle the Squire will take care of you. On the first of November, Squires will join this table as Knights.”

“Sir”

“Yes, Knight George”

“Sir, can you explain the duties of the Squire?”

“Knight George, there are books in the Library that will explain about Squires. But you must remember, the Oath. Your Squire in battle will be your closest friend. Knights as you know my office door is always open. Now we need to have breakfast. Knight John, what is the Dining Hall rule concerning food.”

“You can have all you want, but what you take you must eat.”

“Thank you, Knight John.”

As James and I were standing in line, “Doc, Squires? Where did that come from?”

“I was thinking we have almost one to one, Knight to a new student. A new student can become overwhelmed, remember this is all new and they are away from family. I wanted a system that could provide someone they could turn to if they have a problem or get homesick, Knights have Squires. In those days, a Knight had the responsibility to train a squire to be a knight. For that training and the position of being a knight, the squire would prepare the knight's food, clean his clothes and rooms and make sure his weaponry was well taken care of.”

“So essentially each new student has a big brother.”

“James, you catch on quickly.”

“Why couldn’t just say, big brother?”

“Lord James are you forgetting, we are the Knights of the Square Table.”

“Wait until I tell Jane this.”

“Well, before you do that, get me some pins that state ‘Squire” surrounded by three lions.”

“Lawrence to see you Doc.”

“Hello, Lawrence, good to be back?”

“Yes, this is like a second home to me. I came to see if you have approved our requests for online classes.”

“Yes, I have. Just a minute…I have the requests here somewhere.” James, ever so eavesdropping, came in and pulled the folder from my left-hand desk drawer.

“Lawrence, come with me.” We walked to the computer room, Arlene’s old office. “Lawrence we have set this room for online teaching. Each Kiosk is equipped with a computer and printer. The computer desk contains, paper and ink for the printer. I want each of you to put your name on a kiosk and that will be your workstation while you’re here.”

“Thanks, sir, did you guys hear that?”

I turned around and all five of the boys who signed up for this with Lawrence were standing there. I handed each their approved agenda, they had big smiles and shook my hand. “I’ll leave you to it.”

I walked to the Dining Hall on the pretense to get a cup of coffee, but I wanted to find out about France. “Good morning Marcel. how was France?”

“It was excellent, the weather was beautiful and I had a charming companion.”

“And…”

“He did well, I took him to several different areas of France where the cuisine is a little different. You know I lived and worked in France for quite a while, so I had many friends who were the chefs. When I introduced Caleb, they were thrilled to teach this American the fine cuisine of France.”

“How many more trips will it take before he can handle this kitchen?”

“Probably one more, there is a Province in France that is known for its country cooking, I think that is the term you use here. A rustic type of farm cooking, very good, lots of herbs and not so many spices.”

“I look forward to some of his new menus. I need you to start getting involved in the college. You will be in charge of the kitchens and since the kitchen space is only blocked out, you need to start laying out your kitchen so electric and water drawings can be completed.”

I took my coffee and headed to my office. There were a few letters from families, which I answered, a letter from the Ambassador, wishing me success in the new school year, and a request for a meeting with the architect.

“James, set up a meeting with the architect in the next few days.”

Besides the college, I wanted to construct new dorms and staff residences. If enrollment continues, we’ll need more classes and class time which means more staff and dorms. I could use the current space for classrooms. I could also set up a computer lab.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Fantastic chapter!!! Sign me up as a taste tester for the food mentioned below!!!

“He did well, I took him to several different areas of France where the cuisine is a little different. You know I lived and worked in France for quite a while, so I had many friends who were the chefs. When I introduced Caleb, they were thrilled to teach this American the fine cuisine of France.”

“How many more trips will it take before he can handle this kitchen?”

“Probably one more, there is a Province in France that is known for its country cooking, I think that is the term you use here. A rustic type of farm cooking, very good, lots of herbs and not so many spices.”

  • Like 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, CLJobe said:

The concept off 'Squires' maintains the Arthur theme,  Adam must have read a lot of books on Arthur 

Adam is going to have to have the Librarian stock up on Arthurian tales!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Adam is going to have to have the Librarian stock up on Arthurian tales!

That's not a bad idea. If its wasn't for Arthur I wonder who he would have used.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I always used to dream about knights and their squires as I was reading about King Arthur... Only trouble was I'd always end up being the stable boy who had to muck out the horse s**t. Great idea as it will teach the returning boys responsibility and in their positions that can only be a good thing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Kev said:

I always used to dream about knights and their squires as I was reading about King Arthur... Only trouble was I'd always end up being the stable boy who had to muck out the horse s**t. Great idea as it will teach the returning boys responsibility and in their positions that can only be a good thing.

I bet you like to take care of those stallions.

Yes, Knights and their Squires, I read somewhere that the squire slept with the knight to keep them warm on a cold night. Not sure that was true.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..