Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,211 Words
  • 2,204 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Adam Blake - 120. Chapter 120

Life was getting a little slower, winter was approaching along with holidays. Billy was in training at the school, he moved to the college dorms, he was keeping up with his school work and I think he was doing better. Susanna and Bobby made several visits, of course, Bobby had 110 uncles by the time he left.

There were a few running meets at some colleges, I made sure Billy, Johnny, and the runners went. They couldn’t participate but they made friends. Friends that share the same interests seem to stay friends the longest. As we get older, friends drift apart. New interests, new jobs, family responsibilities, all reasons to allow friends to slip apart. I know it’ll happen with the boys but I’ll find a way to make sure they all stay in touch.

It was after the holidays that we had the first Board of Directors meetings. Charles from my bank was the only member not known by the other Directors. My friend the trustee was smiling a lot, he was mixing right in and to be truthful he had some good ideas. Too bad the other trustees didn’t listen.

The meeting was meant to be an introduction and a tour of King’s College. Some of the classrooms weren't completed but they would be soon. I did not show then the Dungeon. They stayed in the visitor dorms. When I reviewed the design, I set up visitor dorms on the ground floor, nicely furnished but only one bedroom and a small kitchenette. They toured both sets of dorms and were quite impressed.

“There were some comments made about the rec area and the lap pool. The kitchen was a marvelous piece of French design. Marcel and Gaston provided an assortment of snacks and teas. One of them asked about when would we begin to accept enrollment. I told them that I expect to begin enrollment probably in February. Am I going to open it to everyone or maintain the structure at the Academy? I knew he meant the privileged boys.

“For the first few years, I’ll accept applications from all over, I have 6 boys currently enrolled and this spring I’ll have 10 more. The capacity of the college is 300 which I probably could stretch a little, but I’d like to keep it at that. I’ll accept seniors from other colleges at a rate that would grantee rooms for incoming freshman.”

“Are you going to offer a master’s program?”

“I think that will be decided when the full staff meets. Master programs general are about 30 percent working with a sponsor and 70 percent working on your own.”

“How many staff positions have you filled?”

“Of the total staff of 30, I have acceptance from 10 and the other 20 are pending.”

“Have you determine a salary structure?”=

“Since all of the instructors will have their doctorate, the salary structure will mimic those salaries offered in other Universities, but be sure I’m not above buying someone who I think will provide our students with an outstanding education.”

“Then you have identified your instructors.”

“Yes, and gentlemen if you want to find bright people, hold seminars.”

“So from a certain black market disc, am I correct that the staff you have hired have attended your seminar?”

“Yes, and for the record, I know nothing about a black market disc.”

“I have one question, this may be a little off subject, but who owns the schools and property?”

“I’m not a liberty to divulge that information. The property was bought after the county issued a lien for failure to pay taxes. That is customary in the US. Our benefactor, who wishes to remain anonymous, bought the property.”

“Is there any chance of losing the property in the future for tax purposes?”

“I have been assured, that the property is safe from any future tax liens” I couldn’t help noticing that the Ambassador got up to leave, on the pretext he had an urgent business to attend. We all knew what that urgent business was.

“I suggest we all take that urgent break and then we’ll have dinner in the King’s College dining hall.”

 

As we walked into the dining hall, Marcel had outdone himself. “Gentlemen, every king has a queen, may I present the Queen of King’s Castle, my wife. Marie looked absolutely stunning. She really was the queen of the castle.

Marcel and Gaston served a spectacular dinner with a glass of wine. I saw the Ambassador’s eyebrows go up. “Gentlemen and my Queen, the students here will be the legal age to enjoy a glass of wine on occasion. However, it will be controlled in an ingenious manner piloted at the Academy. The boys will be given a wine coin which will cost them for each glass of wine, which is 3 ounces. Marcel has located a wine steward who will be in charge.”

“Aren’t you afraid they will pull their wine coins or steal from each other?”

“No, I am not.”

The dessert was a mousse that was rich in cream but offset with a slight tartness. I think some of the directors would have liked more. Wasn’t going to happen.

“Gentlemen, and my dear, a toast to a successful school year and exciting new times.”

A few of the Board stayed to talk among themselves, Marie whispered something, “Gentlemen, I must leave you. I have a recuperating young man in need of a little pick-up.”

“If you need anything, Hans will see to it.”

As Marie and I were walking to the infirmary, I heard footsteps behind me, turning there was the Ambassador following. “I didn’t need to stay, I’d rather spend my time with my son.”

“What was your take on the meeting?”

“I thought it went well, much different from the trustee meetings.”

“Did you notice our old friend, he really enjoyed it.”

“Yes, I think you may have a lifetime friend there.”

“Look who is coming”

There was Gerry and Richard. “Dad, I thought you went home.”

“Never without giving you a hug, let’s go and have some cookies and milk”

“He was worried that his dad left.”

“You did a good thing son.” I placed my hand on his chest and it was warm.

“Thanks Father, are you going to see Anton?”

“Yes, I need to ask you a serious question, no you think Anton would do well in the Academy?”

“I’m not sure Father. He wouldn’t be at the level of the boys in his age group.”

“I agree, but suppose we hired a tutor for him, work with him, teach him English and French.”

“That might work Father. But who would you get?”

“Well, the person would have to speak all three languages fluently, be a good student in his own right and want to help.”

“There are a lot of students that would be able to do that.”

“But is there one student who has another reason to help him?”

“Yes, Father, he is our subject and we owe it to him. I’ll help him.”

I picked him up and gave him a big hug, “You’ll make a great Prince.”

I put his hand on his chest, “I can feel the heat through your hand.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 25
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, so a successful meeting, with the directors the school looks to expanding to allow qualified people entrance and not only the wealthy, air apparents , interesting times ahead

It appears that some of the applicants were students  of the Academy who have finished school a few years before Adam arrived. I think Adam would accept any student as long as he has room for those who the college was intended.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

From tiny acorns do mighty oaks grow!!!!

 

Yes, a word can grow into a tome, under the right atmosphere and guidance

  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..