Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Headstall
  • Author
  • 242 Words
  • 1,196 Views
  • 14 Comments

Headstall's Reflections - 19. Chapter 19 Poetry Prompt 5- Changes

Once again, not at all what I intended to write. Apparently, I am not in control of what escapes, so please bear with me. I have been struggling for a while, and a kick in the posterior is not necessarily a bad thing. Oh, yeah... rhyming couplets in verse form....

Headstall’s Reflections

 

 

Chapter 19 Changes

 

 

Bow, must I, beneath the burden of time

No longer considered to be in my prime

Exactly what heights do I scale from here?

Too smart or too stupid to acknowledge my fear

 

With some chapters written, the pages are filling

But it doesn’t yet mean hungry vultures are milling

With each new verse of my poetry crafted

New characters evolve and plotlines are drafted

 

A life full of challenges, each one of them met

Has instilled my belief I’ve not made my mark yet

An empty nest is soon my inescapable fate

By no means an ending, but an unrelished date

 

While the sun still rises and the road stretches long

I intend to stride forth and keep writing my song

Time may have taken, but more has it given

Not much sense being alive, if I’m no longer livin’

 

From birth there’s a journey we all have to face

It’s not the best plan to treat life like a race

And on those days when its hills rear too steep

Comes the time to reach inward and strive to dig deep

 

Climb up the harsh summit in spite of the pain

The toil, and the tears are worth what we gain

Waiting on the lee side is another gifted chance

To turn a crab’s crawl into a sea lion’s dance

Thanks for reading.

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 75 members · Last active

A fan club for Headstall to chat about his stories as well as home to CoTT House of Cards Chat Topic

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You just keep on goin on Gary! I know you will. Nice kick in the ass you wrote there!!!
((Hugs)) buddy!!

Link to comment

There was a lot of inner strength in this poem. There are trials we must face, but we soldier on. The line that got me was "By no means an ending, but an unrelished date". That date is looking for me as well. Not welcome but inevitable.

Link to comment

Dear Gary. I love this poem. I applaud it and hope you will find some comfort in your struggle.

 

Exactly what heights do I scale from here? I recognize this question, and understand it intimately.

 


With some chapters written, the pages are filling. But not yet full. And just a few words can change the meaning of an entire story. Great metaphor.

 


While the sun still rises and the road stretches long

 

I intend to stride forth and keep writing my song. These lines sound exactly like what you are writing about!

 


Waiting on the lee side is another gifted chance

 

To turn a crab’s crawl into a sea lion’s dance. This image is going to stick with me a very long time. I am delighted with it. It's cadence brings the poem to a splendid conclusion.

Link to comment

Well said, my dear friend.
I had a good laugh at the 'hungry vultures' line, knowing that your fans in the COTT forum are the birds awaiting your morselfs.
As usual, you make poesy look so easy, and distill your wisdom down to a few drops for us eager to drink from your font.
Kudos, cheers, and big hugs, my dear friend!

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 07:38 AM, Mikiesboy said:

You just keep on goin on Gary! I know you will. Nice kick in the ass you wrote there!!!

((Hugs)) buddy!!

Thanks, tim. It's all about being positive, no matter what your age or situation. Just reminding myself of that... thanks for the review, and the hugs... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 09:57 AM, LitLover said:

There was a lot of inner strength in this poem. There are trials we must face, but we soldier on. The line that got me was "By no means an ending, but an unrelished date". That date is looking for me as well. Not welcome but inevitable.

Yeah, that's a hard one for most of us parents... and I've been spoiled. It's funny. I am surrounded by people who love me, but still there are times I feel so alone. Writing helps that desolate feeling. Thanks for the review and your understanding... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 09:57 AM, Parker Owens said:

Dear Gary. I love this poem. I applaud it and hope you will find some comfort in your struggle.

 

Exactly what heights do I scale from here? I recognize this question, and understand it intimately.

 

 

With some chapters written, the pages are filling. But not yet full. And just a few words can change the meaning of an entire story. Great metaphor.

 

 

While the sun still rises and the road stretches long

 

I intend to stride forth and keep writing my song. These lines sound exactly like what you are writing about!

 

 

Waiting on the lee side is another gifted chance

 

To turn a crab’s crawl into a sea lion’s dance. This image is going to stick with me a very long time. I am delighted with it. It's cadence brings the poem to a splendid conclusion.

Thanks, Parker. I appreciate your support and that this one resonated. My struggles are universal ones. Thank you for all you say here... glad you liked the cadence and some of the lines enough to highlight them... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 11:39 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Well said, my dear friend.

I had a good laugh at the 'hungry vultures' line, knowing that your fans in the COTT forum are the birds awaiting your morselfs.

As usual, you make poesy look so easy, and distill your wisdom down to a few drops for us eager to drink from your font.

Kudos, cheers, and big hugs, my dear friend!

Thanks, buddy! I'm pleased I could make you laugh. Poetry is special to me, and a great way to get some stuff sorted in my head. Thanks you for your kind words and support, and for thinking I have wisdom hehe... :) . Cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

That's lovely Gary!
I think a lot of us wonder whats left during the times we struggle. But I think we all have plenty to live yet!

Link to comment
On 07/02/2016 07:22 AM, pzetts3 said:

That's lovely Gary!

I think a lot of us wonder whats left during the times we struggle. But I think we all have plenty to live yet!

Thank you, pzetts! I really miss you not being around :) . I'm glad you liked this... sometimes we need to remind ourselves to keep a positive outlook... life is wonderful, and the challenges are a part of it... hope you are well... I appreciate the review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 07/07/2016 12:21 AM, Arazon said:

Another touching piece. I particularly liked the lines about digging deep, and climbing a harsh summit. Thank you for sharing Gary. Keep singing your song...

Thanks, Arazon. I appreciate the kind words, and yeah, I'm singing away... not the best sound in the world, but it feels good :) . I so appreciate the review... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

No longer considered to be in my prime
I beg to differ on that point. As I see it, you are in your prime as an author and you've still got a long way to go before the end is in sight.

Link to comment
On 09/23/2016 11:28 AM, Reader1810 said:

No longer considered to be in my prime

I beg to differ on that point. As I see it, you are in your prime as an author and you've still got a long way to go before the end is in sight.

Thanks, Reader! This was a rallying cry of sorts for me. I hope I have a lot of good years left... I intend to make up for lost time with my writing, but there's only so much I can do. Still, my feet are firmly planted on the road of my journey... thanks for reading and reviewing... cheers, my friend... Gary....

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..