Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Headstall
  • Author
  • 136 Words
  • 787 Views
  • 10 Comments

Headstall's Reflections - 60. Chapter 60 Fire and Fury

Some may consider this political. It's not.

Headstall’s Reflections

 

 

Chapter 60 Fire and Fury

 

 

Trying, it is

To absorb our global mess

Where we end up

Is anyone’s guess

 

Fire and fury

Like the world has never seen

Good God in heaven

What the hell does that mean?

 

How callous we’ve become

Or is it detached?

Is our main concern

About being outmatched?

 

A world filled with madmen

Directing our fate

Thriving on fear

And dividing through hate

 

Ethnic cleansing

Right under our noses

But apparently what matters

Are political poses

 

I wish, how I wish

I could just close my eyes

Be oblivious to the knowledge

That another missile flies

 

At times I feel powerless

Frozen with fear

Grappling with the knowledge

The end could be near

We all have too much to lose in this world of insanity. I want my grandchildren to have a future.

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 10

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 75 members · Last active

A fan club for Headstall to chat about his stories as well as home to CoTT House of Cards Chat Topic

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I think you've expressed the fears so many of us have.  I want my children and future grandchildren to live in a world where hate and fear aren't our driving forces. :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, LitLover said:

I think you've expressed the fears so many of us have.  I want my children and future grandchildren to live in a world where hate and fear aren't our driving forces. :hug: 

The world has become smaller... and scarier. It's like we are following the path of all those doomsday/apocalypse/nuclear winter scenarios we would read with fear. Is our fate already determined? I struggle to believe it is not . Thanks, Lit :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

It's so true Gary.. Hate to dwell on it, but sometimes when I realize that we are living events that I thought I'd only read about, I often look at my nieces and nephews and wonder what the heck awaits them. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Just now, Defiance19 said:

It's so true Gary.. Hate to dwell on it, but sometimes when I realize that we are living events that I thought I'd only read about, I often look at my nieces and nephews and wonder what the heck awaits them. 

I find it shocking to see horrific events unfold, and receive a tepid reaction. There are many who don't seem to care. Just look at who controls our world. How in hell did that happen, in country after country. And is 'the free world' still that? How can it be with volatile, childish, power hungry leaders cropping up everywhere? How can there be freedom when nuclear war is becoming an ever more real possibility? I fear for us all. I thought we had more sense than this... Thanks, Def :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

We live in frustrating and far too exciting times. You capture this, my friend. Can our own humanity defeat the madmen? Your poem speaks to this. Thank you. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Just now, Parker Owens said:

We live in frustrating and far too exciting times. You capture this, my friend. Can our own humanity defeat the madmen? Your poem speaks to this. Thank you. 

Good question. I feel no certainty about anything these scary days.  How can the ethnic cleansing in Myanmar be going on... how can we turn away when babies are born, and then buried in the mud... so many things in this world don't make sense. It gets overwhelming... benevolence appears not to be a human goal anymore... thanks, Parker :hug:  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Something struck me as I read this...and I remembered something I saw in a news commentary this afternoon: campuses are no longer places for free exchanges of thought or speech--the generation of politically correct kids see self-expression as a threat to their candy-coated world and won't hear of any dissenting views, or even slightly differing ones as they see anything not conforming to their own view as a racist, religious or political attack on how the world ought to work.  History must be sanitized to reflect current views at the expense of the facts, and to hell with anyone who dares to hint that they are not seeing the world as it truly is.  The days of teaching curiosity and logical thinking are gone, and therein lies the end of our society...tyranny is fast approaching from the horizon when it is anathema to even think out of the sheep pen our children have learned from over-protective adults.

 

Sadly, Gary, I'm sorry for your grandchildren who I'm sure are being taught to use their brains--they'll be at a disadvantage in the vanilla future the rest of our teachers are creating...and they may be the only ones to see and realize that the missiles that will fall, or the boots marching through our carefully non-confrontational and sanitized halls of learning belong not to phantoms, but real people with no desire to allow freedom or reason to endure.  There can be no surprise greater than that of the sheep when he feels the wolf's teeth at his neck....

 

In this one instance only, I'm glad that I don't have children or grandchildren to worry about.  :hug::kiss::wub:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Something struck me as I read this...and I remembered something I saw in a news commentary this afternoon: campuses are no longer places for free exchanges of thought or speech--the generation of politically correct kids see self-expression as a threat to their candy-coated world and won't hear of any dissenting views, or even slightly differing ones as they see anything not conforming to their own view as a racist, religious or political attack on how the world ought to work.  History must be sanitized to reflect current views at the expense of the facts, and to hell with anyone who dares to hint that they are not seeing the world as it truly is.  The days of teaching curiosity and logical thinking are gone, and therein lies the end of our society...tyranny is fast approaching from the horizon when it is anathema to even think out of the sheep pen our children have learned from over-protective adults.

 

Sadly, Gary, I'm sorry for your grandchildren who I'm sure are being taught to use their brains--they'll be at a disadvantage in the vanilla future the rest of our teachers are creating...and they may be the only ones to see and realize that the missiles that will fall, or the boots marching through our carefully non-confrontational and sanitized halls of learning belong not to phantoms, but real people with no desire to allow freedom or reason to endure.  There can be no surprise greater than that of the sheep when he feels the wolf's teeth at his neck....

 

In this one instance only, I'm glad that I don't have children or grandchildren to worry about.  :hug::kiss::wub:

You make a great point, buddy. Despite the world at their fingertips, the young might be guilty of looking inward... content in a  world insulated from strife. A world where what they read online has more impact than their own much more limited personal experiences. They will rally for their causes, but close themselves to what doesn't affect them. I'm speculating, and I'm not saying it's all or even the majority, but more than enough seem apathetic to the dangers lurking in plain view. It's more important to win your argument than to protect the world. I guess I shouldn't confine or attribute this attitude only to the young... all ages are guilty of the apathy I'm seeing. 

There is a point where political correctness goes too far. If it prevents us from learning about past mistakes... if it sanitizes real history as you say... then what is the good of it. Religious or not, the ten commandments should be our basis for behavior, not any doctrine that has helped lead us to this point. Monsters rule countries once again... why didn't we learn to protect ourselves from that. I have to stop... I must hope my grandchildren and their grandchildren get to live in a kind, healthy, and decent world... the winds of change shouldn't be allowed to blow away that hope... love you, my friend :hug:  

Edited by Headstall
  • Love 1
Link to comment

We live in scary and dangerous time, but there is also so much good in the world. I refuse to become pessimistic.
There is much good in the world, worth to fight for. Look at the outpour of help and volunteers in Texas and other parts of
the US. I will never give up on people.
 

Edited by Job
  • Love 1
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Job said:

We live in scary and dangerous time, but there is also so much good in the world. I refuse to become pessimistic.
There is much good in the world, worth to fight for. Look at the outpour of help and volunteers in Texas and other parts of
the US. I will never give up on people.
 

Thanks, buddy. I needed that. Rebounding and forging ahead is what we do right? You are so right to point out the goodness of people... I'm trying my best to keep faith the world will make sense again. Pessimism only makes the impact worse... cheers... Gary.... :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..