Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Headstall
  • Author
  • 280 Words
  • 931 Views
  • 16 Comments

Headstall's Reflections - 61. Chapter 61 Charity and Waking

Just a couple of poems.

Headstall’s Reflections

 

 

Chapter 61 Charity

 

 

One foot placed

In front of the other

While we consider the sorrow

Of a mourning mother

 

It changes the perspective

Of our own irks

To see exactly where

Real devastation lurks

 

In a world gone mad

We must learn to cope

Count our blessings

And hold onto hope

 

While carnage reigns

And children die

We could sit back

And question why

 

Life gives

And Life takes

With floods and fire

And heartless quakes

 

We could watch in silence

From behind our walls

Dull our senses

And ignore desperate calls

 

Or put our faith

In love and charity

And trust good hearts

Are not a rarity

 

We are infinitesimal

When Nature roars

Wreaking pure havoc

While settling scores

 

So send out prayers

For our fellow man

And please reach out

In any way you can

 

It just might help

You sleep at night

That you can help

Another soul’s plight

 

 

 

Waking

 

Sunshine finds its way

through the cracks

Enough

to lighten my room

Another morning

filled with blacks

After tossing and turning

In my tomb

 

Incessant chittering

of a raccoon

A lament

from the stand of cedar

Perhaps annoyed

night ended too soon

Scant time

to defeat my feeder

 

A truck rumbles by,

silencing all sound

The day shift

is underway

My lonely night ship

Has run aground

Casting me out

on my new feet of clay

 

The human spirit

is astounding

In its capacity

to handle pain

Even while our hearts

take a pounding

We can still embrace

the rain

 

No preaching... no message... just poetry :) 

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 6

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 77 members · Last active

A fan club for Headstall to chat about his stories as well as home to CoTT House of Cards Chat Topic

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Both poems touched me very much! I loved Charity a tad more. :)
 

Edited by Job
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Both of these touched me.  I feel that same helplessness as I watch the news of the natural disasters happening lately.

 

The second poem, although tinged I’m pain, reminds us that our hearts keep on beating as we wake to face a new day :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

No message?  Perhaps not, but these gave me a sense of human nature's flexibility in times of trauma.  In the immediacy of disaster, we all band together, but then old habits reassert themselves, and only in the best hearts does Charity still burn as bright...the rest go back to petty bickering and divisive rhetoric.  'We did our part', they say to assuage their consciences, forgetting that the tragedy lives on for those directly touched by it...then if it should happen to them, they are the first to complain of the slowness of response.  They expect charity to be a continuous thing, and yet gave only token returns when asked by others.  Charity, like Christmas, should live all the year long, as one reformed Victorian learned....

And then, there are people who face each day knowing that it will bring trials both inner and outer, and face them and the new day just the same, cognizant of their faults and frailties, but not letting that stand as a roadblock to doing what they can to make this new day just a little better.  Strength of spirit, a resolve to carry on...it is those people who know what living is, because they pay the price for it each day from what might seem a finite account, but it gives the greatest interest rate on a future where anything can happen.

:hug: my dearest friend...  :heart::heart:

  • Like 4
Link to comment

As others have said, both poems are touching. Waking really speaks to me though. There's a resigned outlook one has when getting up first thing in the morning, and you captured that here beautifully. The play of external - a chittering raccoon; a passing truck - against the internal 'wakening' is very nicely done. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

"Charity" was a treasure to read. While not meant to be a message, it definitely showed me the importance of looking out for your fellow human being. I also liked your poem "Waking," especially its ending and how it speaks to the resilience of human beings.

 

Thank you for these :).

  • Like 1
Link to comment

they have messages for the reader. i was drawn more to the second one. maybe because i can do anything that the poem talks about that it hits me harder/ dance, Gary as long as you can. even in the rain:hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 9/23/2017 at 1:37 PM, Caz Pedroso said:

I particularly liked the first one. The imagery created by the words was very vivid.

 

But, I loved both, :hug: 

Thanks, Caz... I appreciate your kind comment :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 9/23/2017 at 1:41 PM, Job said:

Both poems touched me very much! I loved Charity a tad more. :)
 

Thanks, Job... so glad they touched you :hug: 

Link to comment
On 9/23/2017 at 2:43 PM, LitLover said:

Both of these touched me.  I feel that same helplessness as I watch the news of the natural disasters happening lately.

 

The second poem, although tinged I’m pain, reminds us that our hearts keep on beating as we wake to face a new day :hug: 

Some mornings I need to give myself a talking to, as my Mom would phrase it :) .  Get up and get going... that's what we all need to do... so that's what I do... thanks, Lit :hug: 

Link to comment
On 9/23/2017 at 3:23 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

No message?  Perhaps not, but these gave me a sense of human nature's flexibility in times of trauma.  In the immediacy of disaster, we all band together, but then old habits reassert themselves, and only in the best hearts does Charity still burn as bright...the rest go back to petty bickering and divisive rhetoric.  'We did our part', they say to assuage their consciences, forgetting that the tragedy lives on for those directly touched by it...then if it should happen to them, they are the first to complain of the slowness of response.  They expect charity to be a continuous thing, and yet gave only token returns when asked by others.  Charity, like Christmas, should live all the year long, as one reformed Victorian learned....

And then, there are people who face each day knowing that it will bring trials both inner and outer, and face them and the new day just the same, cognizant of their faults and frailties, but not letting that stand as a roadblock to doing what they can to make this new day just a little better.  Strength of spirit, a resolve to carry on...it is those people who know what living is, because they pay the price for it each day from what might seem a finite account, but it gives the greatest interest rate on a future where anything can happen.

:hug: my dearest friend...  :heart::heart:

Right on the money, my friend. Charity, though, is personal. It's not only about financial assistance... sometimes all we can give is our sympathy... and if that's the case. it's fine. Many of us, though, can make a gesture... it is the right thing to do. 

 

There can be treasure waiting for us with each new day... but we have to be present and open to it... nature gifts us all the time if we choose to go forth and accept it. Life is to be lived, however small your circle, and whatever pain you have endured, or do endure. That starts with getting up and hoping for the best. :)  Thanks, CG... I cherish your comments, and I cherish you :hug::heart: 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/24/2017 at 9:57 PM, AC Benus said:

As others have said, both poems are touching. Waking really speaks to me though. There's a resigned outlook one has when getting up first thing in the morning, and you captured that here beautifully. The play of external - a chittering raccoon; a passing truck - against the internal 'wakening' is very nicely done. 

Thanks, AC. I appreciate your comment. Waking, for me, is about living, even when it's difficult to see the point... as I've said before, poetry helps :)  Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 9/24/2017 at 9:59 PM, BDANR said:

"Charity" was a treasure to read. While not meant to be a message, it definitely showed me the importance of looking out for your fellow human being. I also liked your poem "Waking," especially its ending and how it speaks to the resilience of human beings.

 

Thank you for these :).

Thank you, BDANR. I really appreciate your comment. I'm pleased these meant something to you. I believe we should remember, there is always someone worse off than ourselves. And even if some mornings are hard to face, being able to get up and live is a precious gift... not to be squandered... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/25/2017 at 12:46 AM, mogwhy said:

they have messages for the reader. i was drawn more to the second one. maybe because i can do anything that the poem talks about that it hits me harder/ dance, Gary as long as you can. even in the rain:hug:

I'll keep on boogieing, my friend. Life is too precious not to dip and dive and shake me ass for as long as I'm able... :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..