Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Headstall
  • Author
  • 309 Words
  • 1,130 Views
  • 20 Comments

Headstall's Reflections - 36. Chapter 36 Old Girl

Old girl is not meant to be disrespectful. I called my mom that affectionately when she was alive. I also called my old grey mare that, which my mom and I joked about. I was shopping a couple of weeks ago, and I saw this old girl... it was a gift for the season...

Reflections

 

 

Chapter 36 Old Girl

 

 

The old girl relies heavily on a shopping cart

Her resemblance to my mother stirring my heart

With a backward glance I continue on my way

Her presence affecting me more than I can say

 

A measuring cup and a baking pan

And oven mitts that fit a man’s hand

I load my cart as I navigate the aisles

Why do mere feet seem like they’re miles?

 

Turning the corner I see her once more

Struggling to get past some cartons on the floor

In the middle of a crowd she looks so forlorn

Not the first time I seen such confusion worn

 

Bless her, she gets her cart turned around

And disappears down a different avenue found

Wavering, I look for Christmas bells for my house

And maybe some traps for my war with a mouse

 

We meet again in the long line for the cash

Dodging the rush as people make their dash

Surprised to see one lone item procured

It seems such a shame for all she’s endured

 

I suggest she sits and I’ll put her item with mine

But she says kindly that she’s doing fine

Even her voice has the same laughing lilt

And for a second it puts my world on a tilt

 

It’s rather uncanny, how much she invokes

With the little giggle I inevitably coax

I know who she’s not, but she shouldn’t be alone

And I’m ready to ask if there’s a friend I can phone

 

Such relief when another lady appears next to us

And takes old girl’s arm with nary a fuss

It was only a brief exchange in a busy store

But it gave me my mom for a few minutes more

I miss you, Mom. Merry Christmas.

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 75 members · Last active

A fan club for Headstall to chat about his stories as well as home to CoTT House of Cards Chat Topic

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I've been blessed to be spending an extended visit with my mum. I know the time shall come when she too will be gone but for now I have her near. My heart goes out to all of you who have but memories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/10/2016 10:29 AM, Valkyrie said:

Damn, Gary... I need a tissue now. Very moving poem. :hug:

Thank you, Val. I miss my mom, so to see and interact with someone who had such a resemblance to her was a special thing. Thanks for reading and reviewing :hug:

Link to comment
On 12/10/2016 10:57 AM, AC Benus said:

It's a beautiful poem, Gary

Thanks, AC. Thank you for commenting. I miss her terribly, especially around Christmas. Cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
On 12/10/2016 11:10 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Lovely Gary ... everything's moving me to tears today.. this is too. xoxo

Thanks, tim... I've been teary today too... thanks for your support xoxoxo

Link to comment
On 12/10/2016 11:22 AM, dughlas said:

I've been blessed to be spending an extended visit with my mum. I know the time shall come when she too will be gone but for now I have her near. My heart goes out to all of you who have but memories.

I love hearing about your time spent with your mom, dugh. It makes me think of my own special times. Every day is a blessing, my dear friend... thank you xoxoxo

Link to comment

Like the others who commented, I choked up and went a bit misty for a moment. Your poem paints a perfect picture of the scene and takes a vivid snapshot. I could hear the exchange between the poet and the old girl; you have the gift of putting us right in the spot. Thank Yiu for this beautiful piece.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/10/2016 01:23 PM, Parker Owens said:

Like the others who commented, I choked up and went a bit misty for a moment. Your poem paints a perfect picture of the scene and takes a vivid snapshot. I could hear the exchange between the poet and the old girl; you have the gift of putting us right in the spot. Thank Yiu for this beautiful piece.

Thanks, Parker. Sometimes life puts us were we need to be. That's the way I felt when I walked out of there. It's rewarding that you felt what you did... :hug:

Link to comment

I'm torn by this one Gary...it was warm and touching, but it was your note saying you missed your mom that hit me the most.
You see, my mom died in 2007, five days after my birthday, and I spent most of that week in her hospital room, along with my three sisters and cousins...and three of those days I was there mostly by myself as the others took turns at the vigil.
Mom always thought her heart would be the end of her, and she was taking a lot of pills, mostly for things she didn't really have need of...but it was her diabetese and refusal of dialysis that was the final cause...she'd opted for palliative care alone, which meant no machines except some oxygen, and meds for pain relief. Refusing dialysis was due to a friend of hers having a bad experience with it, so that was all she needed to hear...stubbornness was her hallmark.
Anyway, despite being 76 years old, she didn't look it at all--she could have been in her 40s by the color of her hair and lack of major wrinkles...so I could never picture her as an 'old gal', and it just seemed so unfair to lose her that way. Age usually gives some warning, like the woman in your poem...but not for my mom.
I've always felt cheated in a way, that age didn't show on her, but I lost her anyway...the hurt is just the same I guess, but to me it hurt more without the obvious signs of advancing years.
Thank you for this poem--it reminded me of some fond memories with my mom, and consoled me that the old gal wasn't alone, and neither was my mom at her own end.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/10/2016 07:30 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

I'm torn by this one Gary...it was warm and touching, but it was your note saying you missed your mom that hit me the most.

You see, my mom died in 2007, five days after my birthday, and I spent most of that week in her hospital room, along with my three sisters and cousins...and three of those days I was there mostly by myself as the others took turns at the vigil.

Mom always thought her heart would be the end of her, and she was taking a lot of pills, mostly for things she didn't really have need of...but it was her diabetese and refusal of dialysis that was the final cause...she'd opted for palliative care alone, which meant no machines except some oxygen, and meds for pain relief. Refusing dialysis was due to a friend of hers having a bad experience with it, so that was all she needed to hear...stubbornness was her hallmark.

Anyway, despite being 76 years old, she didn't look it at all--she could have been in her 40s by the color of her hair and lack of major wrinkles...so I could never picture her as an 'old gal', and it just seemed so unfair to lose her that way. Age usually gives some warning, like the woman in your poem...but not for my mom.

I've always felt cheated in a way, that age didn't show on her, but I lost her anyway...the hurt is just the same I guess, but to me it hurt more without the obvious signs of advancing years.

Thank you for this poem--it reminded me of some fond memories with my mom, and consoled me that the old gal wasn't alone, and neither was my mom at her own end.

Thanks, CG. In some ways, I feel cheated too. Cancer is an ugly thing. Sometimes I believe she was lucky to not understand what was going on for some of it. She was so sweet and at times, childlike. But, she kept her dignity as well. Seeing 'old girl' was a powerful experience for me... love you, buddy... :hug:

Link to comment

Well, I think its unanimous... this one had me teary as I read it. My mom is still with me, but this made me think of my grandmothers. One died when I was only twelve and the other when I was an adult, but I still sometimes see people, and meet women who bring their memories rushing back to me. I always miss them a little bit more in those moments, even as I smile. As for the term "old girl", it made me smile. I had a friend who's grandmother referred to herself, and other older women with spunk, and "old broad".
Thank you for the little trip down memory lane, my friend. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2016 02:57 AM, LitLover said:

Well, I think its unanimous... this one had me teary as I read it. My mom is still with me, but this made me think of my grandmothers. One died when I was only twelve and the other when I was an adult, but I still sometimes see people, and meet women who bring their memories rushing back to me. I always miss them a little bit more in those moments, even as I smile. As for the term "old girl", it made me smile. I had a friend who's grandmother referred to herself, and other older women with spunk, and "old broad".

Thank you for the little trip down memory lane, my friend. :hug:

I'm at the point where I can be teary over my mom, and I miss her terribly, but they're mostly happy tears. She was a wonderful woman, and I cherish her flaws as much as her strengths. I never ever doubted her love for her children. Thank you, my friend, for this wonderful review... cheers :hug:

Link to comment

I still have my mother with me and your poem gave me a kick that I should spend more time with her ... Thank you, Gary !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2016 08:45 AM, hohochan657 said:

I still have my mother with me and your poem gave me a kick that I should spend more time with her ... Thank you, Gary !

I love hearing that, hohochan! We have to remember the clock is always ticking, and creating memories will keep you company when they're gone. Just a few minutes more... what I wouldn't give... thanks for reviewing, buddy :hug:

Link to comment
On 12/12/2016 05:29 AM, Reader1810 said:

:heart::heart::heart: it.

Seems as if you got an early Christmas gift that day....

Yes, I believe I did. She fascinated me in the most amazing way. It really felt like I was looking at and talking to my mom. Thanks, Reader :hug:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..