Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Headstall
  • Author
  • 315 Words
  • 721 Views
  • 18 Comments

Headstall's Reflections - 72. Chapter 72 Woke

It's all good. My first poetry in a long time....

                                                                                                                                                                           ***

 

Woke

 

My heart beats

A rhythm of reassurance

As the hummingbird

Makes a final visit

To where geraniums

Used to be

 

I survey my kingdom

Such as it is

Alone, but not alone

My dog a boomerang

Always returning

For a word and a throw

 

I have my memories

And plans, altered now

Because life demands

I be woke

While I try to ignore

The beats of my heart

 

 

An Ant Can

 

Specks of dust

Swirl in the breeze

Just like me

 

Wet orbs shutter

In protection

Until the wind dies

 

Vision returns

Still watery

To changing vistas

 

Of surging greys

And almost blacks

Overhead

 

A burst of sound

Shakes my mind

And I return to me

 

That speck of dust

Dogged in his journey

To a safe place

 

Tears or rain

Makes no difference

To a man in darkness

 

 

Haiku… some poetic license

 

Night crawls like ivy

When praying for dawn’s bright kiss

To smite the shadows

 

 

Puddles are for kids

It’s good to know I’m still one

With soaked running shoes

 

 

It’s tough to find joy

Yet not such a daunting task

With wine glass in hand

 

 

A gift from god’s heart

Orchids bloom like fingerprints

Can you still feel mine?

 

*

Thanks for reading. My thoughts have been slippery of late... I hope you can find something here worthwhile. Cheers! Gary....

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 10

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 77 members · Last active

A fan club for Headstall to chat about his stories as well as home to CoTT House of Cards Chat Topic

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

Always enjoy a look inside your head, Gary. It's such a pleasing place! :)

 

Thank you, Geron. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. :P  :hug: 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Don't ignore the beats of your heart, each is precious, even the ones you're fretting over.

Thanks, dugh, for the beautiful sentiment. :hug: 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

 

:kiss:   :hug:

I look on these as the first stirrings after a restoring sleep--the first memories that intrude, then are pushed aside to open the soul to a new day's possibilities.  The eyes of the heart are once more focussing on the the scenery at hand, and the mind is busily composing fresh constructs to propel you into the coming dawn.
The loving wishes and arms of friends are waiting to gather you in once more, my dearest G-Man.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

My GA life feels more complete because I’ve read something you’ve authored.  It’s been a while, Gary and I’ve missed doing so.

Whether it’s the joyful or contemplative musings of your mind expressed in prose or the literary journey your narratives encompass, it’s a very special exchange;  I am grateful to your muses....they marry with your imagination and experiences to paint our eyes with the broad and delicate brushstrokes of your stories.  Your three examples here show how you master both  (though I must admit,  I hate soaked running shoes, lol.)

Hi, Gary.  It’s good to see you. 🍻 :hug:

Edited by FanLit
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ColumbusGuy said:

 

:kiss:   :hug:

I look on these as the first stirrings after a restoring sleep--the first memories that intrude, then are pushed aside to open the soul to a new day's possibilities.  The eyes of the heart are once more focussing on the the scenery at hand, and the mind is busily composing fresh constructs to propel you into the coming dawn.
The loving wishes and arms of friends are waiting to gather you in once more, my dearest G-Man.

Beautiful, CG. Thank you, dear friend. :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, FanLit said:

My GA life feels more complete because I’ve read something you’ve authored.  It’s been a while, Gary and I’ve missed doing so.

Whether it’s the joyful or contemplative musings of your mind expressed in prose or the literary journey your narratives encompass, it’s a very special exchange;  I am grateful to your muses....they marry with your imagination and experiences to paint our eyes with the broad and delicate brushstrokes of your stories.  Your three examples here show how you master both  (though I must admit,  I hate soaked running shoes, lol.)

Hi, Gary.  It’s good to see you. 🍻 :hug:

Aww... thank you, FanLit. :heart:  It's nice to have my voice missed, and you say so, so eloquently. :hug: 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So much that’s good to read and hear in these. I loved your haiku, as each successive one brought a fond image to mind. I could feel your heartbeat, strong and alive, in the lines Woke, and in An Ant Can too. Sometimes our heart is what we need to hear. Thanks for sharing yours. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

So much that’s good to read and hear in these. I loved your haiku, as each successive one brought a fond image to mind. I could feel your heartbeat, strong and alive, in the lines Woke, and in An Ant Can too. Sometimes our heart is what we need to hear. Thanks for sharing yours. 

Thank you, Parker for the kind words and support. :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, aditus said:

And the beat goes on... :kiss:

:)  "Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain"   ... yes, it does. Thanks, Adi. :hug: 

Link to comment

Contemplative musings, indeed! :yes:

You may be a man in darkness, but you certainly manage to shine a light around yourself! :)

And I love the sentiment in the puddles haiku! :thumbup:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Marty said:

Contemplative musings, indeed! :yes:

You may be a man in darkness, but you certainly manage to shine a light around yourself! :)

And I love the sentiment in the puddles haiku! :thumbup:

Thanks, Marty! After darkness there is dawn. :)  I'm getting there.  And what fun are puddles, eh?  Young horses tend to be leery of puddles, and I used to get great enjoyment from showing them they'd had nothing to fear... splashing is fun! :D  :hug: 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..