Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Headstall
  • Author
  • 153 Words
  • 1,357 Views
  • 22 Comments

Headstall's Reflections - 59. Chapter 59 Roadkill

A moment in my bike ride... in memory of a beautiful red fox....

Headstall’s Reflections

 

 

 

Chapter 59 Roadkill

 

 

Shimmering plumage spreads

Catching sunlight

As vultures bob and lift

Exposing fresh carnage

 

The journey of life

Ended on pavement

Quick and empty

Valiant fight to survive not to be

 

No hunt occurred

Giving honor to this death

Only the slam of steel and rubber

To deliver an insignificant end

 

Life is cruel

But this was never nature’s intent

The will to survive was not engaged

By a worthy foe

 

You lay as garbage

An afterthought to be scavenged

The savage beauty of predation

Played no part in your demise

 

As I continue past, giving berth

The reddish luster impacts

And the glory of your brush

Still moves with the wind

 

I honor you, and I will remember

Child of the mother

Somewhere, I imagine kits mewling

Further victims of life’s unnatural speed

Thanks for reading. I have given up on hoping drivers will slow down. Many believe country roads are racetracks, and 'fair game,' but the animals don't stand a chance.

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 77 members · Last active

A fan club for Headstall to chat about his stories as well as home to CoTT House of Cards Chat Topic

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Some encounters with wild animals are unavoidable when you're driving - my brother had a collision with a deer once. But, yes, like you, I mourn roadkill - fox, hedgehog, badger, pheasant ...  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Very nice Poem. I love the Images it invoke's:yes:

Thanks, Albert... I've glimpsed a fox in that area before... such a shame :(  :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, northie said:

Some encounters with wild animals are unavoidable when you're driving - my brother had a collision with a deer once. But, yes, like you, I mourn roadkill - fox, hedgehog, badger, pheasant ...  

So true. It's the world we live in, but the animals, with all their natural defenses, are not equipped to deal with such danger. I've hit a deer, although it lived, and a family of raccoons too... I still feel remorse at that... thanks for commenting, northie :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I hate scenes like this--there were many of them in the area where I grew up--usually a skunk, but not always...and even those deserve a better end than this.  Senseless all 'round, but that's what happens when Man is involved.  Some people are responsible in their hunting, using what they kill, others do it for sport, or even a children's cruel prank...I see our role as being stewards of the Earth, and we should leave it better than we found it, with as little impact as we can manage, and that includes hunting.

Twice in my life, I've had a cat disappear to meet such a possible fate; the first was a Siamese I had as a teen, had her since she was born and she would come running if I whistled like you would for a dog.  At that time, we occasionally let our cats out to roam the yard since we were in the country, and one day she never came back, and ads turned up nothing, nor did walking our lanes and asking neighbors.  The second was in 2005 when Genghis vanished one night from my house--I'd learned not to let cats outside without a leash by then...I lput ads, flyers and rewards, but got only a few calls.  One was from someone three blocks away on the other side of a major street, saying a cat was lying in his yard, run over...but no one was home when I got there, and there was no body...so I don't know if it was Genghis or not.  I'll keep my dream that he was stolen since that meant someone must have wanted him--he did look valuable...He is the front cat in my avatar, along with his sister Bortai who I lost two years ago yesterday.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I think this is common in rural areas ... more and faster cars. Always in a hurry. Typically we see skunks, opposums and squirrels. Rarely fowl of some plummage. Interestingly, cars stop for geese and ducks crossing the road.

Your words bring some sense of dignity to these unsung souls.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, ColumbusGuy said:

I hate scenes like this--there were many of them in the area where I grew up--usually a skunk, but not always...and even those deserve a better end than this.  Senseless all 'round, but that's what happens when Man is involved.  Some people are responsible in their hunting, using what they kill, others do it for sport, or even a children's cruel prank...I see our role as being stewards of the Earth, and we should leave it better than we found it, with as little impact as we can manage, and that includes hunting.

Twice in my life, I've had a cat disappear to meet such a possible fate; the first was a Siamese I had as a teen, had her since she was born and she would come running if I whistled like you would for a dog.  At that time, we occasionally let our cats out to roam the yard since we were in the country, and one day she never came back, and ads turned up nothing, nor did walking our lanes and asking neighbors.  The second was in 2005 when Genghis vanished one night from my house--I'd learned not to let cats outside without a leash by then...I lput ads, flyers and rewards, but got only a few calls.  One was from someone three blocks away on the other side of a major street, saying a cat was lying in his yard, run over...but no one was home when I got there, and there was no body...so I don't know if it was Genghis or not.  I'll keep my dream that he was stolen since that meant someone must have wanted him--he did look valuable...He is the front cat in my avatar, along with his sister Bortai who I lost two years ago yesterday.

 

I understand that accidents happen, but I can help but get angry at the speed some people use on our roads, especially on the weekend. They're in such a hurry to get somewhere... I remember being that way too when I was young, and I'm not condemning... I've learned speed kills more than people, and it pains me to see so many flattened corpses on my rides and walks. There is no dignity in such an end, and these animals often have offspring who need them to survive. Animals loose in the city are on borrowed time. I hope too, Genghis found a new home, and didn't meet that abrupt and undignified end. You're right. We do have a responsibility for our actions... some, though, don't feel that at all... thanks, buddy :hug: xoxo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Bucket1 said:

:hug: it is such a shame

Yes, it is, B. It's a common but sad sight. When I was first coming upon the scene I was struck by the beauty of the vultures, but then.... Thanks for leaving a comment, my friend :hug: xoxo

  • Like 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, dughlas said:

I think this is common in rural areas ... more and faster cars. Always in a hurry. Typically we see skunks, opposums and squirrels. Rarely fowl of some plummage. Interestingly, cars stop for geese and ducks crossing the road.

Your words bring some sense of dignity to these unsung souls.

Yeah, very common. That's true... I've actually never come across a dead goose. Just a blip in my day, but I won't forget the reminder it gave me. Thanks, Buddy :hug: xoxo

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Last week a man literally got out of his car to stop other drivers so a duck and her babies could safely cross a very busy street. It was nice to see, but the honking from other drivers...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This is a beautiful tribute and sad commentary.  And people definitely need to slow down, although sometimes it's unavoidable - like that raccoon I hit in June.  It ran right under my tires and there was no way to avoid it.  It's heartbreaking to me every time it happens. :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

Last week a man literally got out of his car to stop other drivers so a duck and her babies could safely cross a very busy street. It was nice to see, but the honking from other drivers...

Yeah, I've done much the same. It's bad enough on a country road with only a few cars :( . I did that... stopped traffic when I was on my bike... three summers ago, I think... and I got honked and yelled at because they had to stop for one stupid minute while I picked up a turtle and put him in a ditch... I was lucky no one ran over my bike :rolleyes: . I've seen others do it for geese and ducks too... never bothered me, and yeah, it was nice to see. Thanks, Def :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

This is a beautiful tribute and sad commentary.  And people definitely need to slow down, although sometimes it's unavoidable - like that raccoon I hit in June.  It ran right under my tires and there was no way to avoid it.  It's heartbreaking to me every time it happens. :hug: 

Thanks, Val. Yeah, it can't be helped sometimes, but I've seen and known drivers who would never stop for a small animal... no big deal, right? I never want to be that callous. It was a sad sight today... it may have been the fox I spotted a couple of months ago in that same area... they are beautiful creatures. It's a terrible way to die, so my poem was a prayer for its passing... :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It always makes me sad to see too.  I know it's hard to avoid sometimes, but some of it could be prevented by slowing down and being aware that wild animals share our world.  

 

(I won't make comment on birds that literally fly into my vehicle when they have an entire sky) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, LitLover said:

It always makes me sad to see too.  I know it's hard to avoid sometimes, but some of it could be prevented by slowing down and being aware that wild animals share our world.  

 

(I won't make comment on birds that literally fly into my vehicle when they have an entire sky) 

Yeah, some of it could. There is an honor to death in nature... nothing is wasted... other animals survive... the earth is replenished. It is the way it is supposed to occur... a flattened corpse on pavement, killed by something unnatural, feels so wrong. LOL to the birds... he he... our house windows aren't safe either... thanks, my friend :hug:  xoxo

  • Like 1
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

beautifully written in honor of an untimely death. 

Thanks, moggy. A natural death is honorable... one manufactured by a technological machine is sad... it happens thousands of times a day, and while our reality, it's not what nature intended. Yeah, untimely and unfair... thanks for commenting... :hug: 

Link to comment

Thank you for writing this. You tell us of a shame and a hurt in nature which at 100 kmh cannot bear reflection. But walking and biking let us see the damage wrought on the earth, and on ourselves. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Thank you for writing this. You tell us of a shame and a hurt in nature which at 100 kmh cannot bear reflection. But walking and biking let us see the damage wrought on the earth, and on ourselves. 

Hey, Parker. It's a scene repeated far too often. We impose our will upon a world with no regard to the impact or the cost. Life is about so many things... why can't reducing our footprint and appreciating we are not the only children of the earth be a part of our goals. A pipe dream, I suppose... thanks for your thoughtful and well-expressed comment, my friend :hug: 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..