Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    Headstall
  • Author
  • 205 Words
  • 1,087 Views
  • 14 Comments

Headstall's Reflections - 37. Chapter 37 Yoga For The Mind

A little bit of silliness about the writing process.

Headstall’s Reflections

 

 

Chapter 37 Yoga of the Mind

 

 

Take a phrase and bend it around

Creating a sigh without a sound

 

Fire up my synaptic whatchamacallit

To seek out words and make them fit

 

Downward facing, supine or prone

Flexing my muscles with keys alone

 

Intent on getting slippery karma across

A meditative state can prevent its loss

 

An unexpected insight is my goal

Like scrying from an ancient bowl

 

While others work to free up their spine

I focus on achieving the perfect line

 

Mental contortions deliver me peace

Each practiced move a euphoric release

 

Fluidity of thought reaches fingertips

Hydrating my soul with little sips

 

My sweat is words gained from exertion

There can be no vascularity with inertion

 

A workout can stretch for days and days

A lonely quest in search of better ways

 

To invent new worlds of make-believe

And let people see the threads I weave

 

With writing there is no finish line

At best a celebratory glass of wine

 

Before I embark on another journey

I see no end till I’m laid out on a gurney

Writing requires dedication, and a lot of hard work... a blessing and a curse  :boy: . I hope you enjoy this.

Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10

Story Discussion Topic

Open Club · 75 members · Last active

A fan club for Headstall to chat about his stories as well as home to CoTT House of Cards Chat Topic

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You make it almost sound easy ... just a bit of bending and stretching. I jest dear sir, I jest. I know you labor far into the night to bring us treasures.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

How could I not like this? It is a marvelous metaphor, which you illustrate with the practiced ease of a man who does exactly what you preach in your poem. You write and write and write, and it shows in the grace and fun with which you approach this. If you exercise as well as you write, you will stay off that gurney for a long, long time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm only just discovering what you describe and you do describe it so well. Thank you for giving your (our?) labours such wonderful, descriptive words.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/16/2016 07:16 AM, dughlas said:

You make it almost sound easy ... just a bit of bending and stretching. I jest dear sir, I jest. I know you labor far into the night to bring us treasures.

Hey, buddy. Sometimes I put pressure on myself, and this helped take it off this afternoon. And yeah, I toil into the wee hours... good thing I have my trusty coal lamp :) . Cheers and thanks, dugh... Gary....

Link to comment
On 12/16/2016 07:56 AM, Parker Owens said:

How could I not like this? It is a marvelous metaphor, which you illustrate with the practiced ease of a man who does exactly what you preach in your poem. You write and write and write, and it shows in the grace and fun with which you approach this. If you exercise as well as you write, you will stay off that gurney for a long, long time.

Thanks, Parker. It does seem I'm always writing :) . I've actually been neglecting my exercise lately... back at it tomorrow. Thanks for the kind words... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
On 12/16/2016 09:11 AM, northie said:

I'm only just discovering what you describe and you do describe it so well. Thank you for giving your (our?) labours such wonderful, descriptive words.

Hey, northie. You are off to a great start. Thank you for reviewing this poem about OUR labors... it's good honest work we do :) . Cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
On 12/16/2016 11:20 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice Gary ... well crafted!!

Thanks, tim! This one was fun to write... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

Hahaha such an accurate analogy as we twist words like pretzels and stretch phrases to fit where we need them. You have a wonderful way with words, and did I mention you look great in yoga clothes ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/16/2016 12:54 PM, Valkyrie said:

"synaptic whatchamacallit" :rofl: Very clever and relatable. :)

Thanks, Val! I had fun with this one. It's what we do isn't it? :) . I'm pleased I could give you a laugh... thanks for reviewing... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
On 12/16/2016 01:09 PM, LitLover said:

Hahaha such an accurate analogy as we twist words like pretzels and stretch phrases to fit where we need them. You have a wonderful way with words, and did I mention you look great in yoga clothes ;)

LOL. Why thank you, ma'am. I like my matching ensemble :) . Thanks for the kind words, and for reviewing, my friend... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

Well, this one says it all, words written on the Wall;
Softly shaped sinewy words skillfully sculpted for all.
Like the scop of yore, we attend these lines...
Hwaet! We Gar-Dena, or
Arma virumque cano....
Not so lofty as Vergil, or as insular as Beowulf,
but of high import for those seeking a good laugh and
a puzzled path to ponder in an insomniac's nightmare. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/16/2016 08:22 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Well, this one says it all, words written on the Wall;

Softly shaped sinewy words skillfully sculpted for all.

Like the scop of yore, we attend these lines...

Hwaet! We Gar-Dena, or

Arma virumque cano....

Not so lofty as Vergil, or as insular as Beowulf,

but of high import for those seeking a good laugh and

a puzzled path to ponder in an insomniac's nightmare. :)

Whoa! Freaking awesome, dude! :) . Thanks, my friend... love, love, love the review. Brilliant... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..