Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 946 Words
  • 1,168 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 190. Chapter 190

Arriving at the club, we needn’t tell anyone, they all knew. The boys looked sharp in their suits, and several of the ladies commented on how they looked. Uncle Jimmy had a new drink for them in celebration. For once my total family was together, even Uncle Henry and Aunt Ann.

“Sons, take your drinks and follow me.” I took them to the old roof garden. Sitting there my mind was flooded with memories. I know I had tears in my eyes. “This place is very special and the roof garden at home will become as special. When Ronnie, Richie, Tommy, and Ivan were your age, we would sit here. If there was a problem. This is where we solved it. If you have a problem or a question, we will meet at that roof garden. Sometimes, we can sit there and think about everything that has happened and how happy we are.”

One of the waiters came, “Chef James said dinner is ready.” The boys started to rub their bellies and headed for the stairs. Laughing I followed..Walking into the kitchen the odors created an anticipation of something special.

We sat around the kitchen table and I noticed we didn’t need any tables from the dining room. I looked at Colin, he pointed down, then I noticed we were sitting on benches.

Billy sat a bread plate with rolls at each place, but these weren’t ordinary bread rolls. They looked different and smelled different. The aroma made you want to taste them. Then Billy and Peter started to place dinner before us. Each plate had a Paulet Farci along with a rose of sweet potato. The boys just looked, the aroma was toxic. Everybody didn’t know what to start with.I took a taste of the sweet potato and smiled. Then I took a taste of the stuffing and my smile grew larger. I looked at James, “Brother, I’m not sure I can pay for this dinner. Everything I tasted is beyond my expectations.” Then I heard, “Dad, can we start to eat?”

I laughed, “Yes, you can begin to eat.” I looked at Colin, he had already eaten half of his poulet.

I watched the boys. They had smiles as they ate slowly. Guess who was done first, he had to wait until all of us were done before he got any dessert.

Peter was sitting next to me. “Dad, what is this?”

“It’s tiny chicken stuffed with Uncle James' special bread stuffing. It’s good right?”

He couldn’t answer, his mouth was stuffed with chicken.

Dessert was a special tart, filled with strawberries and cream only the cream turned out to be soft vanilla ice cream.

When everyone finished eating, we just sat there. To say we were full is an understatement.

“Brother, you have gone beyond my expectations. I doubt Marcel could have done better.”

“Thanks, but I did the poult, Peter did vegetables and Billy did the bread. Jimmy and Peter did the deserts. So they deserve your thanks as well.”

I stood up, followed by Colin, and gave each of the staff a hug and a ‘well done’.What was funny, all of the boys lined up and followed suit. I don’t think the cooking staff have ever had so many hugs and thank you. Even Uncle Henry and Aunt Ann gave the cooking staff a well-deserved hug. I heard Henry ask if the chicken would be on Sunday’s menu.

On the way out, James gave me a small hamper, “For mom and dad.” I saw he had one for Colin and I’d bet that was for Mary.

 

A week later the boys are still talking about that dinner.

“Dad, now that we have our revised birth certificate, don’t you think we should celebrate at Uncle James?” All of the boys and girls agreed.

“I’ll talk to Uncle James and see what he thinks,”

Four days later I was questioned again, “Uncle James said for you to go fishing and bring him some lobster and shrimp and he will think about our special dinner,”

Now, they would get Colin to agree to a fishing trip. While they did that, I started to paint two princesses.

A week later, Colin said the boys wanted to go fishing. “I know, they want to celebrate their new birth certificates.”

“No, they want another of James’s meals.”

“Can’t blame them. They did themselves proud. Mom and Dad still talk about it and I’ll bet your mom does as well.”

“We need to be careful, Marie might quit and then you will need to do the cooking here.”

Laughing, “No, we will order in from the club.”

“Not so loud. You will have the girls and any of the boys who have heard us knocking on our door.” I had no sooner said that when the doors opened and the girls walked in followed by two of the boys.

Before they could say anything, “Why aren’t you in bed?”

“We went to the kitchen for a glass of water and we heard you laughing.”

“We were laughing at Pop’s big belly. Now you need to get back to bed.”

“Tuck us in.”

I knew Colin wasn’t going to get out of bed so I got out of bed and tucked them in.

The next morning I heard about it. “Dad, did you tuck the girls in last night?”

“Yes, and tonight Pop and I are going to tuck you all in bed.” Their smiles reminded me we did that with the first four and then stopped. I didn’t know why but I’ll make sure we tuck them in from now on.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Yet another wonderful chapter in this ever expanding family with compassion, empathy and love for orphaned children longing for a 'forever family'. Or has been the case in Armand and Colin's lives, giving a 2nd home to their children. Starting this celebration in the rooftop garden of their first home was stellar!

I think James' Welcome to the Family' dinner of "Paulet Farci along with a rose of sweet potato" had a typo and meant to say Poulet farci which is usually boneless chicken breast or thigh, filled with stuffing of bread, cheese or other surprises, pan seared or baked. However, the conversation between Peter and Armand makes me think it was 'deboned' baby chickens or le poussin, but there is no way 'baby chicken' would be said to children!  (Horror of eating 🐤)

Peter was sitting next to me. “Dad, what is this?”

“It’s tiny chicken stuffed with Uncle James' special bread stuffing. It’s good right?”

image-298.jpeg&ehk=%2BRXToChTSHzVuaI3y1h

DSC_6371.jpg?w=1000&ssl=1

I gain weight with these wonderful creations from The Club's chefs.

Ps: 'Pop' Colin needs to get back into shape. Either faster rounds of golf with the boys (and NO golf cart) or Ronnie gets him jogging every other morning before work. If they jog by Angel's Home they may be joined by children. 

I am glad I had eaten my dinner before opening this chapter for comments.

I remember on a train ride from north Amsterdam to Paris, a couple at the table next to ours was eating some small bird. Perhaps you can

shed light on this experiences.. I have eaten pigeon and some game birds. but this dish looked more like an appetiser. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I am glad I had eaten my dinner before opening this chapter for comments.

I remember on a train ride from north Amsterdam to Paris, a couple at the table next to ours was eating some small bird. Perhaps you can

shed light on this experiences.. I have eaten pigeon and some game birds. but this dish looked more like an appetiser. 

Was it Ortolan ? , My Grandparents talked about how tasty the little bird was . They had this meal back in The Sixtes, They remembered it Well 🌞

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Good times served with good food make the best memories.  I'm sure the boys will remember their adoption more favorably after that wonderful meal.  I make sense that the boys now want to go fishing in order to have another wonderful meal.  It seems that Armand and Collin needed to be reminded that one of their duty of fathers to young children is to make sure the little ones get tucked in bed at night.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..