Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 4,213 Words
  • 933 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 209. Chapter 209

After saying goodnight to the kids promising I’ll be home on Wednesday, I tried to fall asleep. I called for GG I needed her assurance that everything would be okay and I’ll be home on Wednesday. She didn’t answer me but the creaking of the rocking chair assured me she was there.

Sleep didn’t come easy, I didn’t want to leave home. I knew I had to be there to send Arnaud off.

I woke early, I dressed for the day.

Going to the kitchen there was David and Carl. “Good morning, Dad. Here is your coffee.”

Sitting at the table, “Dad, how long have you known Grandfather?”

I thought, “The first time I met him was between my freshman and sophomore year at Carnegie Tech. I sold some of my paintings through a gallery owned by my art teacher's mother. I bought a ticket on the cheapest flight to Paris with a return three months later. I couldn’t afford to stay at a hotel so when I arrived in Paris I asked if anyone knew of a cheap place to stay. That is how I met Grandmere. It was her house, there were two conditions. One I had to learn French and two I had to enjoy Paris. I remember sitting in her living room in the evening learning French. Those were good times. For the next three months, I learned French. and toured museums. Grandmere told me about this aristocrat who traveled the world looking for great artists. I had to meet this guy. I found a taxi driver who knew of this man and where he lived. So he took me there. I remember getting out of the cab, the house was amazing. It was the biggest house I had ever seen. I was standing in front of the house admiring it when a car pulled up and this gentleman got out. That is how I met Jean from the museum called the Louvre. He took me by the arm, and we went to knock on the door when it was opened by this young man, Christian. That is how I met Arnaud and he had one of my paintings. We have been friends ever since.”

“Dad, he’s dying isn’t he?”

“Yes, I think he hung on to life to see Michael finished. When he saw us hanging the painting he collapsed. You remember Christen getting a chair for him. His legs couldn’t support him. I felt he wouldn’t be around long and now he will go and chat with Michael.”

“You will miss him.”

“Yes, but I’ll know where he is and he will be happy.”

“Dad, can we go to the airport with you?”

“Sure, but you will be in school.”

“We can cut one day.”

“No, that would be unfair. But our return flight gets us in just before supper you can meet us then.”

By then the other kids were up. Such sad faces. “Do you want me to remember you with such sad faces? Come on. Smile and let’s have a morning

hug.,"

They just chased me out of my kitchen. Everyone laughed.

I thought just what we needed, a laugh. Over breakfast, we talked about our Italian friends coming this time next week.

Then it was time for them to go to school. I had to hug each of them and promise I’ll see them Wednesday.

It seemed like the calm after a storm. Everything stopped, it was quiet like I was somewhere else. I sat there but my mind wasn’t there. Then I heard the rocking chair and there was GG. “Go in peace, Armand. The children here and at the Angel’s Home will be safe when you are gone. I’ll be there with you.” Then she was gone.

“Armand, Armand talk to me.”

“Ow, stop slapping me.”

“I have been talking to you for the last hour. Where have you been?”

“Listen”’ one creak and then none.

“Ask Ritchie to drive us to the airport. We will need the bus when we return.” He looked at me like I was crazy,

“I promised the kids they could meet us when we returned.”

“They will be in school when we return.”

I just smiled.

Richie showed up, “You guys ready to go?”

Colin looked at me. I just laughed, grabbed him by his arm, and pulled him toward the door. I yelled to Marie we were leaving and I’d see her on Wednesday.

The drive to the airport was business up front, I thought about the kids and Arnaud. I knew that death wasn’t the end but more like passing through a door. Leaving one life and entering another life. I closed my eyes for a little while, I saw Arnaud looking up at our painting. Then Michael came down from the painting, taking Arnaud in his brace, and rose into a bright path leading up to the heavens. I woke up when the car stopped and realized I was dreaming.

I exited the car, took our one suitcase, and headed for the luggage check-in. “Just one bag, sir.”

“Yes, it is a quick flight in and back.”

I turned, where was Colin, he wasn’t with me. Then I heard a horn toot, it was Richie leaving.

I waited for Colin. When he got close, “Everything settled?”

Smiling, “The smartest thing I ever did was to take Richie on as a partner. He does the work and I get the money.”

I knew he was kidding but he was right about making Richie a partner.

The flight to Paris was on time. Sitting in business class, “You know this is nice. We should fly together more often.”

“Behave or no dessert for you.”

“I think except for our first trip to Europe, this is the only time we have shared a seat.”

He was right, normally we always had family with us and we would split up.

I had a glass of wine, I wasn’t hungry. Colin ate my salad.

Landing on time, we were met by Roger and Jean. I shouldn’t have checked our luggage now we had to clear the luggage claim area.

Walking out of the airport, Christian was waiting for us.

“Dad wants to see you as soon as you arrive.”

Christen put our luggage in the car’s trunk, he called it the boot. Then we were off.

Arriving at their home, we were quickly rushed inside. I looked at Jean and Roger as to what is this all about.

“We’ll tell you at the house later on.”

Entering the house I remember the first time. “Dad has drawn up a will. But there is a proviso. He left everything to me but the proviso states to be legal it must have two additional signatures, yours and Jeans. Jean has signed, will you sign?”

“Doesn’t there have to be some legal authorization?”

“This is Dad’s lawyer, he will witness your signature.”

I looked at Colin, he nodded yes. So I signed my name. The lawyer asked for proof of identity, I showed him my passport. Then he signed where it said he was a witness

“Would you like to see Dad? He might be sleeping.”

“If he is sleeping don’t wake him.”

“Just peek in the nurse will tell him you were here when he's awake.”

As we approached his room, we heard him talking to someone. We stopped to listen. “Dad is speaking to Michael. He has been doing that a lot the last two days. I don’t know what Michael is saying but you can hear Dad.”

Christian opened the door silently but as soon as Arnaud saw us, he smiled. “See I told you he would be here.”

“Arnaud, tell Michael we are glad to be here.”

“You can tell him he is standing next to the bed.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Michael said you can’t see him now.”

“Tell Michael we leave you in his care. We will be back tomorrow early. Rest and have a nice chat with Michael.”

As we left the room we could hear Arnaud. “Yes, he and his son painted the painting hanging on the mausoleum.”

“Really, I didn’t know he painted angels on the crypt.”

That was the last we heard as the nurse had shut the door to his bedroom.

“I’ll drive you home.”

The trip to Grandmere’s house was quiet. No one had much to say.

Arriving, Roger invited Christian in for a drink. I heard a no in my head.

“Roger, Christian needs to spend time with his dad.”

Roger unlocked the door, I took our suitcase to our room. I hung up our suits, trying to get some of the wrinkles out.

Walking back downstairs, I was handed a glass of wine and led to the living room. Holding our glasses in front of us, we said as a group, “To Arnaud. May his journey be quick and pain-free.” Then we drained our glasses and tossed them at the fireplace. “No one will toast the living and the dead in those glasses.”

With that done, I was ready for bed. It seemed the others felt the same way.

Laying in bed next to Colin brought back memories of our honeymoon. And with those thoughts, I fell asleep.

It seemed I just got in bed when I was shaken awake. “Get up. Christian is downstairs waiting for us. Here drink this coffee, it’ll wake you up.”

I got up, headed for the shower, and met Colin coming out of the shower. “Leave the water on, I’ll take my shower now.”

Colin shaved while I showered, and then when he dressed, I shaved. By the time I dressed, everyone was waiting in the living room. Jean handed me a pie e of cheese and a piece of bread. “Eat this as we drive.”

Between bites of cheese and bread, I asked Jean how was Arnaud. “The doctor said he won’t last the day. He didn’t sleep at all last night. The nurse said he was talking to this Michael.”

Arriving at his home, we quickly moved to his room. The doctor had him propped up with pillows. “He said Michael told him you would come to see me before he took me with him.”

Holding his hand, “I’m glad you are going with Michael. He will look after you just like he stands guard over your sleep.”

Arnaud smiled as he held my hand. “Thank you for introducing me to Michael. Looking next to me, Michael I’m ready,”

For a brief moment, I thought I saw Michael with his arm around Arnaud.

The doctor told Christian his father is in the hands of the Lord. I thought more like in the hands of Michael.

I don’t know how death is handled in Europe but it was up to Christian.

As it turned out, there would be Catholic services at the Mausoleum at 1 with him being immediately moved to his final resting place at the end of the service.

The doctor notified someone who came and washed him, dressed him, and then moved him to the mausoleum. He would lay there until the service was over and his final resting place was sealed.

When they took Arnaud we followed. Arriving at the Mausoleum, Christian unlocked the doors. I looked up at Michael. I would swear he smiled. I asked Colin if he saw the smile. He said he didn’t. “How did you get that blue bird to stay on that canvas? It has been flying back and forth.”

Walking into the mausoleum, there was a table where Arnaud was laying. At the four corners of the table were tall candles. I thought I heard music but later when I told Colin he said it was my imagination.

I am not Catholic so when the priest arrived I stood back. Arnaud’s family arrived and Henri led the group in. He was telling everyone he was the oldest now as if that meant something. I could see that Christian was getting upset.

I finally walked over to Henri, “Henri, you are aware of royalty succession. When the king dies, the next in line is his children I think that means Christian will assume leadership.” Then I walked away.

When the service was over, Christian kissed his father goodbye and the attendants put him in his chamber to sleep the eternal sleep. When they sealed the vault, Carl’s angel shone in the light of the candles. As those who attended this ceremony left, they made comments about the angel. Henri went to check his vault and there was nothing. But in doing so, he saw the other painting. Now he demanded to know who painted the vaults.

Armand pulled him aside and pointed to Michael, “Ask him.”

Just as Henri looked up the sun seemed to shine on Michael. The painting appeared to shine. Colin said he smiled. But Henri started to ask for forgiveness on his knees looking at the painting. I don’t know what he saw, arising he hugged Christian, got in his car, and left.

Roger looked at me, “What was that all about?”

“I think Michael spoke to him or showed him something.” Colin just looked at me while feeling my head. I knew he thought I was seeing something in that painting no one was seeing. I would remind him of the bluebird later tonight in bed.

Roger and Jean went in Jean’s car Colin and I went to Arnaud’s house with Christian and his wife. I realized I should start referring to that home as Christian’s home. The ride was very quiet. I think everyone was in their thoughts.

Arriving, we all met in the dining room. The chef had prepared a light lunch. Before we sat down, we raised our wine glasses wishing Arnaud a speedy trip home. I had inside information that he was with Michael who was introducing him to artists of the past.

When we were leaving, “Christian, your dad is very happy. I believe Michael is introducing him to the great artists of the past. He is happy.” Silently, “GG, bring his father to him so he knows he is happy. Let him feel his dad’s love.”

Later in bed, “That painting on the mausoleum is magnificent. It needs to be insured against damage.”

“Carl helped, the bluebird was his idea.” I knew who gave him the idea as I heard the squeaky rocker.

“He’s coming along and will be giving you some competition.”

“He will follow in my footsteps and pass me by. We have another angel to paint for the Louvre. I told him his name would go first. Charles will deliver the frame when we get home.”

“What do you think would have happened if he wasn’t rescued?”

“My guess is he would have been dead. The police that picked him up saved the world from losing a talented artist. He will be remembered long after we are gone.”

“Such morbid thoughts. Before we leave, I want to see Grandmere’s angel.”

“Did you see the one Carl painted over the front door?”

“Yes. He is very good at that. Roger showed me the one he painted for a boy and I saw one on Anaud’s crypt.”

“Ask him about the one he painted for the boy when we get home.”

“Why?” “Just ask him. Now let’s go to sleep.”

In the morning as we were having breakfast the phone rang. Jean went to answer.

“I wonder who that was?”

Jean returned. “That was Christian, he said he had a favor to ask you. He’s sending his car over for us.”

Finishing breakfast, “Let’s take our suitcase with us. I’m sure Christian will drive us to the airport. Roger, when are you coming home?”

“I thought I’d stay through the weekend. I’ll be home this coming Monday or Tuesday. I’ll let you know and you can meet me.” He said that last part smiling.

Arriving at Christian’s home, I almost said Arnaud’s home, and we were met by Christian. “Before we go in, I’d like to show you the gallery. I need some advice. My lawyer said I should isolate this section of the building and offer it to the public.”

“I think Jean can best answer that.”

“Let me think about it.”

“Jean, would it be possible to develop a section at the Louvre where you could exhibit these paintings? "

'If he opened this to the public, he would need security and I would suggest the paintings be behind glass.”

“Jean, is Armand’s suggestion possible?”

“Yes, let me think it through a little more.”

Walking inside, I was walking next to Christian. “Christian, money isn’t an issue is it?”

“No, Dad invested his money well. Giving a share to the relatives still left enough for me and my family. Money isn’t the issue. But as time moves forward, people forget. I want something that people will remember Dad.”

“Then having them in the Louvre is the answer,”

As we entered the nome, Christian steered us to the dining room. I told him we already had breakfast, then I felt someone’s hand hit my head. Turning, there was Colin, whispering, “It is rude to turn down when it is offered.”

I looked at his belly, he was getting like his dad. Smiling, I patted his stomach, “Gym, when we get home.”

Entering, “We haven’t had breakfast yet. Join us.”

“We already ate Christian but we can join you and your family for coffee.” Do you want to know who punched me in the side?

Christian has a beautiful family, the oldest is a boy who looks like his father The little girl will be a copy of her mother. The other boy, I didn’t know.

“Children, this is the man who painted the paintings of your mother and me. He also painted the painting of you children when you were young.”

Thinking back, his daughter must be four now and his son must just be eight.

Christian’s daughter wants to know why I painted her in a yellow dress, her favorite color was blue like her mother’s eyes. “How old are you?” She held up three fingers. I took her hands, and pulled all of her fingers up, “When you are this old, I’ll take you shopping and you can pick out any dress you want, I’ll paint you in your new dress. Ok?”

Children, she wasn’t finished. Looking me in the eyes, “Promise?” “Promise”

Christian’s son came over, “Sir when I’m eighteen, will you paint me in my uniform?”

“It will be my honor. And maybe, I’ll not only you in your uniform but your dad as well,” I know I made his day. But I opened another door.

I saw her dad whisper to her, as soon as Christian’s son hugged me, she was back. “Uncle, when I’m eighteen, will you paint me in my gown and maybe with my mother.”

My agreement got me a hug and a kiss on my cheek.

But there was another boy at the table who I didn’t know nor was there an introduction. I looked at the boy and then Christen. I did this several times, “I’m sorry. I thought I introduced you to Pierre yesterday. Pierre, these gentlemen are friends of grandfather. This gentleman and his son painted the Angel Michael.”

The young man came over and shook hands with us. “Did you and your son really paint Saint Michael?”

“Yes, and soon we will paint another Angel for Uncle Jean’s museum.”

He smiled and went to whisper to Christian. Christian whispered something to him and he was gone.

“Armand, he wants to go and see you paint your angel. Can you take him with you?”

“We are flying home this afternoon. The flight isn’t the problem. But he will need a passport.” From Christian’s smile, I knew the lad had an active passport.

He returned to the dining room crying. Christian asked him why was he crying, “I couldn’t find my papers.”

Christian took him by his hand and led him out of the room. Looking at Jean, “How fast can you get a passport.” Before he could answer the door slammed open, and a young boy, smiling handed me his passport.

I looked at Christian, “I forgot I took it with his other papers. It was in Dad’s office.”

Colin got up and moved to the other side of Jean. You know who sat in his chair. I looked at his passport, he was 12.

I looked at Christian, darting my eyes between him and his son. He knew what I wanted to know.

“It’s going to take a few weeks to sort out all of Dad’s papers and then with your concurrence, we will fly over to visit for a few days.”

I could tell the kids were all for that.

Soon it was time to leave for the airport. Christian drove us, and Roger and Jean took a taxi to the Louvre after saying goodbye.

I asked Pierre if he had ever flown. He said no but was excited about flying. Then he wanted to know about America,

I sat with him in the lounge while Colin went and upped our reservation to include Pierre. When he came back he had two coffee and one soda.

“The plane is about 30 minutes late. The girl at the counter said business class was full and the only seats were in the tail section. She said to make sure we go the bathroom if we drink anything between now and boarding. The people in the tail section are tossed around a little. I knew he was kidding around, but Pierre didn’t.

“Colin, you’re scaring the boy.” That I said in English, while; looking at Pierre and then Colin.

“I’m just joking. Trying to scare Armand..” I just looked at him.

Before boarding, Pierre needed to make a pit stop. I wonder how fast he will pick that up.

Similar to my last fight home there was only one person in first class. We were the only ones in business class. I let Pierre sit near the window, Colin sat across from me. We were the only passengers in. business class.

If you have never flown before everything and anything grabs your attention. That attention generates questions which leads to more questions. Pierre was full of questions until the plane started to move. He’d grabbed my arm, I pulled it free and put my arm around his shoulders. “I have you, look out of the windows, See if you can see the Eifel Tower.” Now that he was distracted, he relaxed and started to enjoy the flight.

Lunch was served. Are all kids the same? He didn’t like his meal so he ate mine. He would take a bite off my plate and then smile. You had to like the kid.

The steward came and talked to us leaving Colin to invite him to our home if he had a layover at JFK.

With my arm around Pierre, he took a quick nap. The flight time was a little over 8 hours but if you factor in the time difference leaving we would be arriving at JFK about 3 in the afternoon.

I woke Pierre for dinner. He said he wasn’t hungry so I ordered what I would liked and I ordered a second meal for Pierre. I thought I was smart, two identical meals. He ate mine and I ate his. That was when I realized it didn’t matter what I ordered but the thought that he was eating my meal and not his was his motivation. It couldn’t be the food so that only left the personal contact. Now I wondered why he was at Christians's home.

There are two times when flying is exciting, take-off and landing. Since it was daylight when we arrived at JFK, Pierre could watch as we approached the airport and then the bump as we touched down.

Going through customs was no problem for us. Colin had the luggage so he had to clear the baggage check. I could see the bus outside. As the doors opened and other passengers left, the kids became excited. Now they stood outside of the bus, Ronnie was driving. I let Colin go first. He was mobbed, then I and Pierre I snuck out and boarded the bus.

“That was sneaky, Dad. Who is the tag along?”

Then in French, “Pierre, this is my son Ronnie. He is our guest for a few weeks. He wants to go fishing.”

“Then I heard where is Dad.”

“Pierre, all those children are my sons and those two girls are my daughters.”

He went to look out the window at the boys. One of them spotted him. I heard, “Pop, who is that boy aboard the bus.”

Then there is a mad rush to the bus. I was swamped with my kids. Then they noticed Pierre. They addressed him in English. He shook his head no. Ronnie yelled back in French, “You need to teach him English.”

With French, the kids began to communicate. I looked in the mirror and all I saw were smiling faces. It was good to be home.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 29
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

21 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A beautiful chapter full of both sadness and happiness 

Thanks Chris. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Hmm? 🤔

Is Pierre Un infant des rues (a street child) rescued in Paris by Arnaud, whom he couldn't bear to leave behind to a cruel end?

Perhaps a 'pretender' child from a liaison before Christian married (under French law "illegitimate"), therefore unable to inherit Arnaud's and now Christian's title, Estate etc. despite being the "eldest son"? 

This is most likely judging from this thought of Armand:

" I looked at Christian, darting my eyes between him and his son. He knew what I wanted to know'.

(Modern equivalent is Alexandre Grimaldi, eldest but "illegitimate" son of Prince Albert II of Monaco). ⚖️  :whistle:

 

I am glad you are thinking but I'm not telling. Except Christian was glad to see him go. 

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, mikedup said:

Another emotional chapter, it had it all urgency, sadness, joy and happiness, but it was good to be home although it also increased the size of the family, just welcome home 

For Armand he has two families. Those who love with him and those who live at the Home. He is a man of infinitive love

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, JCtoGO2 said:

An excellent chapter. Personally it is one of the best you have written. Bravo.

Thanks. I appreciate your comments

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I want to share a plate(s) with Armand...and I gotta find out the chef's secrets...I'm sure love and comfort have much to do about it!!

Lunch was served. Are all kids the same? He didn’t like his meal so he ate mine. He would take a bite off my plate and then smile. You had to like the kid.

Arnaud rests well after his long labors throughout his life, a wing or part of a wing at the Louvre would be a fitting testament to his keen eye and appreciation for genuine talent... 

I am very much looking forward to the backstory of a certain young man, knowing he's surrounded by the immense love of his new 'adopted' family!!!

I will not fail  you

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
17 hours ago, raven1 said:

Arnaud's passing is sad, but he did go in peace with the help and comfort of Michael.  His collection of art on display at the Louver will be a monument to his life and love for art.  I suspect that Pierre may be another gift to the world from Arnaud.  Pierre's request to watch Armand and Carl paint reminds me so much of Arnaud's interest. 

I hadn't thought that, thanks. Pierre is fascinated by Armand and the boys. Going to America was exciting enough for Pierre

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..