Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,742 Words
  • 935 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 196. Chapter 196

New Year's, we celebrated at the Home. Roger called and I needed to make another trip to Paris, only this time I took Carl with me. Arriving in Paris, we were met by Jean and Roger. “How serious is it?”

“The doctor had said it was time to get his life in order. I’m guessing he has only a few weeks left. You won’t recognize him. He has lost a lot of weight, it’s like he has shrunken.”

“I suspect it’s more of acceptance than giving up.”

We took a taxi to the house, dropped off our luggage, we were going to see Arnaud. We were going but Carl wanted to see Grandmere first. So we stopped at the chapel. As soon as the priest saw us, he had a big smile.

“You can’t believe what has happened. We have people coming here wanting to see the Angel. Come and see what has happened.”

We walked to where the mausoleum and Grandmere lay asleep. I looked at Jean, the front lawn was covered with flowers. There were wooden stools holding flower plants. The priest said people come here and pray. “I have never expected this.”

I looked at the angel, it was the same as the day I finished painting it.

Now Carl and I wanted to see the angel at the orphanage but first we needed to see Arnaud.

Arriving at Arnaud’s home, I wasn’t sure I wanted to see another friend dying, I think Jean sensed something of my resistance to getting out of the taxi,

“He wants to see you, Armand. He’s a friend. I’m aware that you have seen one close friend die but we all will die someday. I am older than you and so is Roger, when we are dying I would want to know you will come and see me. I think Roger feels the same. Come on, he really wants to see you.”

I looked at Carl and got out of the taxi. Approaching the front door it seemed as if Christian was waiting for us, he opened the door as we approached the house. I looked at Jean, “I told him you were coming.”

Walking into Arnaud’s home is like the first time. I am amazed at the size of his home. Following Christian, he led us to the second floor. Stopping at the end of a large hallway, he knocked on the door. A woman dressed as a nurse opened the door. We followed Christian into what appeared to be a suite of rooms. At the far end was a bedroom in which we could see the door was open. Walking toward that room, I could see a large bed and as I approached there was Arnaud propped up with pillows.

When he saw me, he smiled. “I knew you would come. Who is that, your assistant?”

“This is my son Carl. He helped to paint the Angel at the orphanage.” That brought a smile to his face.

“That Angel is something marvelous. When I saw it, it seemed like it was talking to me. Like saying, come home. That was when I knew my illness was going to take me home. I shouldn’t have gone to Poland. Have Christen show you the painting I bought. The reason I asked you to come is I have a project. When I am gone, I’ll be put to rest in the family mausoleum. Christian can show you where it is. I’d like for you to paint an angel there.”

“If Jean can get me the supplies, I will be glad to paint an angel there. Christian, can you show me this mausoleum?”

“Yes, I’ll get the car and meet you outside. It’s about an hour and a half north.”

I looked at Roger and Jean. “You go, we will stay here with Arnaud.”

I took Carl’s arm, “Let’s go and see what we have to work with.” I think for a minute he thought he would have to stay here, I put my hand on his shoulder.

We followed Christian to the front door and waited until he brought the car around to the front.

Carl sat in the back, I sat up front.

“If you let me know your fee for the angel, I’ll pay you.”

“There’s no fee. Your dad is a friend and for Angels, friends don’t pay.”

The mausoleum was located outside of Paris. The building was quite large and sat in the center of several acres of grassland which appeared well-kept. Christen parked the car and we walked to the front of the mausoleum. If I hadn’t already thought that Arnaud’s family wasn’t connected to royalty, I would now.

Looking at the front of it, I knew exactly where the Angel would go. Painting on stone is difficult. Stone is generally pores that over time absorb the paint or causes the paint to lose its adherence to the stone.

“Christian, we can paint the angel on the stone face but in time it will be destroyed unless I come here every year to repair it. An option is like we did at the orphanage. It also would be the fastest way.”

“Dad loved that painting at the orphanage. If you think that would be best, then do that. The orphanage had a light that shined on it. There isn’t any electricity outside.”

“Is there electricity inside?”

“No, this mausoleum was built in the 16 hundreds. There are candles inside. Would you like to see the inside?”

“Yes. If this was built in the 1600’s then some of the people here must have been royalty or close to royalty.”

“I don’t know everyone here but my dad does.” Christian produced a key and unlocked the door. As he opened the door it creaked. Carl grabbed my arm, and I jumped.

Walking inside the smell indicated the door wasn’t opened for a long time. Christian Left the door open, and fresh air flooded the room. Lighting a candle, he showed us Arnaud’s and his resting place, Looking around, there were a few with their name written in gold.

“Christian, I have the impression your family was connected to Louis the fourteen. Seeing some of these final resting places strengthens that belief.”

He smiled and pointed to a space where there was a name written in gold. I looked and hardly believe what I saw, The name was Louis XIV.

“Louis the 14th died in 1715 and was the first king who occupied one of these vaults. Other royalty and ambassadors or the king's favorites are sleeping here. I’ll show one that is sad.”

We followed him to the rear of the building. “This young man was the son and heir appoint when he was killed by Napoleon’s guard. How old are you, young man.”

“I’ll be 16 in two months.”

“This young man was 14 when he was killed. His body was brought here by one of the old palace guards and placed there.”

“Dad, let’s leave. We need to get started on the angel.”

I knew why Carl wanted to leave. A mausoleum does not contain happiness, it’s a reminder of our mortality. We think about our loved ones, knowing that someday we need to make a decision. Looking at Carl, I could see he was thinking about something. I’ll wait and I know he will tell me.

Driving back to his home, “Armand, do you have any ideas on how to light your angel? Dad really like the angel at the boys’ home.”

“Christian, how much would it cost to provide electricity to the outside of the mausoleum?”

“I don’t know. I’ll ask around, maybe Dad knows something.”

Arriving back at Arnaud’s home, we met Roger and Jean in the downstairs office of Arnaud.

“What did you find?”

“The mausoleum is large but there is one problem. There isn’t any electrical service so we won’t be able to light the angel.”

“Jean, can we use the same spaced where we painted the angel for his boy’s home?”

“Yes, I’ll get the paints and I think the carpenter you use may still be available.”

“Dad, we need to start.”

“We will start in the morning. It will take time for Uncle Jean to get the paint and the carpenter to make the backboard for the painting.” I knew Carl wanted to begin as soon as possible. Preparation needs to be considered.

That evening after saying goodbye to Arnaud, Christian drove us back to Grandmere’s house. It seemed strange to be entering the house and not being met by Grandmere.

That evening GG came ‘for a chat’ she said. During our chat, she was visited by a young boy. I knew who this young boy was and now I knew why GG wanted a chat. The young boy was the child we saw in the Mausoleum. He had a request, so I listened.

“When you paint an angel where I am, could you paint a bluebird there as well?”

I looked at GG, she was smiling. I knew she put the child up to this request. “Yes, for you I’ll paint a blue bird.” GG smiled, and the young boy left smiling. Now I wondered about the bluebird. Was this for the boy or for GG?

In the morning, walking to the kitchen I could hear Jean and Roger talking.

“If he continues to paint angels here it won’t be long before this will be called the city of angels.”

“Three angels, all by Arrow, will be a problem. If that knowledge becomes known, we must guard them from thieves. I’m sure there are people who will pay a lot of money for an Arrow angel.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that Jean. Those angels can’t be removed without destroying them. It would be like someone trying to steal the Eiffel Tower.”

I thought GG would protect them.

“As soon as Carl wakes up. We can start on the angel.”

“He’s been up, had bread and cheese for breakfast, and started the coffee. I came down thinking Jean was up and found Carl”

“Where is he now?”

“Check the living room.”

I did and he was there leafing throw my old sketches. “Good morning, I heard you made coffee this morning.”

“Yes, you were all sleeping.”

I didn’t know Carl knew how to make coffee or do anything in the kitchen. My son has a few surprises for me.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you Calvin @CLJobe for another well written and caring chapter, that deals with a sensitive (and all too familiar) topic of people nearing the end of their lives. And yes, I too am also aware of the oft quoted "Death comes in threes". 

I only noticed one 'oops' in this chapter, when Arnaud's son Christian points out to Armand and Carl a particular 'resting place' / crypt within the mausoleum: “This young man was the son and heir appoint when he was killed by Napoleon’s guard..."  I believe you meant that to be 'apparent' (or perhaps Grammarly's dumb AI 'corrected' it).

As for that 14 year old son of Louis XIV, the 🐦may have been his favorite bird, and GG was simply reminding everyone. 

Speaking of 🐦, I see Elon (Musk be an idiot?, pun fully intended) is removing this friendly little bird logo from Twitter and replacing it with 'x'?  The last time I checked, while 'x' may "mark the spot", it can not tweet like a bird. But perhaps an addlepated billionaire believes it can.  

Take care. 🫂

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
On 7/24/2023 at 12:47 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

Thank you Calvin @CLJobe for another well written and caring chapter, that deals with a sensitive (and all too familiar) topic of people nearing the end of their lives. And yes, I too am also aware of the oft quoted "Death comes in threes". 

I only noticed one 'oops' in this chapter, when Arnaud's son Christian points out to Armand and Carl a particular 'resting place' / crypt within the mausoleum: “This young man was the son and heir appoint when he was killed by Napoleon’s guard..."  I believe you meant that to be 'apparent' (or perhaps Grammarly's dumb AI 'corrected' it).

As for that 14 year old son of Louis XIV, the 🐦may have been his favorite bird, and GG was simply reminding everyone. 

Speaking of 🐦, I see Elon (Musk be an idiot?, pun fully intended) is removing this friendly little bird logo from Twitter and replacing it with 'x'?  The last time I checked, while 'x' may "mark the spot", it can not tweet like a bird. But perhaps an addlepated billionaire believes it can.  

Take care. 🫂

 

Thanks for the info. There may come a time when Christian with Jean's help takes you up on your suggestion. I still think I should send the chapters to you to edit 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..