Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 839 Words
  • 988 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 193. Chapter 193

Sunday dinner at the club was something else. James was challenged but not because of his skills, he was challenged as the family raved about the Paella in Barcelona. It started when Richie told James about the Spanish paella he had eaten in Barcelona. “James, I don’t think anyone can make a paella as good as Marko’s mother.” The gauntlet was dropped and now James picked it up and smiled. At that moment I would bet on James. There was a look in his eyes that conveyed confidence and I knew our paella was going to equal that which we ate at Marko’s restaurant or it will be better. How it could be better I didn’t know but at that moment, with the look on James’s face, I would bet on him.

Henry and Ann were in the club’s dining room. I went and invited them to have dinner with us. Since Colin had benches at the kitchen table, seating wasn’t a problem. While James and his staff prepared our dinner and the various dishes for the Sunday crowd in the club room, Ann told us about their European trip. Her stories brought back a lot of memories from my first trip to Europe.

“The first morning at the hotel we didn’t know about the breakfast buffet. We are sitting at a table waiting for a waiter to take our order. Henry saw some guests walking around with plates of food. When a waiter brought us coffee, I asked if we could order breakfast. He said that breakfast was a buffet and we could help ourselves. When he showed us where the buffet was, we laughed. We had walked past it without noticing it. From that day on, we looked for the breakfast buffet where ever we stayed. We are going back this summer.”

I looked at Henry, and he smiled. “We will see. But I agree with Ann, we should have done that sooner.”

I was getting hungry. Sitting in the kitchen, the aromas tend to jump-start your appetite.

Ann wanted to know what the specialty was going to be. “We are going to have Chef James’s version of a dish we had in Barcelona. And here it comes.”

James had a large platter of paella, and he showed it to Richie, who took his fork to take a taste, but James moved the platter away from him. Billy brought over a stack of plates and started to set one in front of everyone.

Peter had a small table to set the tray that James had. James started to fill plates and Billy and Peter started to place them in front of us. Henry, Ann, and Pat, They got the first three plates. Wanted to know who got a plate last, if you said Richie you would be correct. He also got the smallest plate. I looked at Colin, he was going to town on his plate.

“Is it good Colin?”

“The best I have ever eaten.”

I watched Richie, one fork full, he stood up and clapped. “James, you have proven your word. This is better than any Paella we have eaten in Spain. I salute you.” We all laughed as he saluted James.

“Your penance for doubting, you will help wash the dishes.” Then he topped off Richie’s plate.

I looked at Henry and Ann, they were too busy eating to talk.

When everyone was finished eating, we all stood and clapped. “An excellent paella, Brother.”

Richie did help to do the dishes. We went into the club room, Uncle Jimmy had small ice cream cups for everyone. One of the waiters brought us a pot of coffee. The boys were willing to go fishing again on Saturday if Uncle James would make paella

That evening in bed, “I thought the cooking staff at the club did an excellent job tonight. That paella was the best I have ever eaten.”

“I wonder where he learned how to make paella.”

“Didn’t you give him a copy of the recipe we brought back from Barcelona?”

“Yes, but that was much better than Marko’/s mother’s.”

“Maybe because it was freshly made.”

“No, he did something different. I’ll ask him and he will tell me.”

“The kids liked it.”

“You know I’m glad we took the time to tuck them in tonight. We always did that with the older boys and then we stopped. I forgot why we stopped but I’m glad we started again.”

“That was when you got deep into that painting in the Louvre. I had to drag you to bed.”

“That was a terrible time for me. I couldn’t paint fast enough, my thoughts were dark.”

“You always painted a portrait of the kid's parents. What are going to do with the new boys, in some cases there aren’t parents like Peter. From hospital to adoption center and I’m not sure about the other five.”

“I’ll ask GG she will know.”

And with those thoughts, I fell asleep thinking how lucky I am.

short chapter, now I'm hungry
Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 20
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank goodness I had lunch before eating/reading this chapter!!!!

In the midst of a heat wave here in the Boston Ma area, once it breaks, guess what I'm making!!!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I'm hungry also @CLJobe.It is not a surprise that James made better paella but under no circumstances tell Marko's Mother that

I'm sure the secret was the fresh seafood. With James using products grown without herbicides or other chemicals makes a difference/

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JohnnyC said:

Thank You Again Maestro for Our Latest Chapter, I’am Hungry as Well 😁paella valenciana valencia GIF by For 91 DaysHungry Friends GIF by FlamesVLC

The first time I had paella was in Madrid at a restaurant called  The Postoffice. It was small and only served paella. People were waiting on the street to get in. I became hooked

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

You have to send me some or at least show me a picture. Lucky guy

It was too hot to cook either lunch or dinner, so I compromised...

The BEST Lobster Rolls (With Both Butter AND Mayonnaise) - foodiecrush.com

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Taste buds worked overtime in this chapter, the children thrive on needing to be held and cuddled, the tucking in is just so very personable that each child gets individual attention, which can only be good. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I am usually left hungry after reading chapters in this story even if I have just eaten before reading.  I'm hoping GG has some great suggestions and resources to help Armand with the paintings for the children.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

My Grandmother made Paella with Rabbit & Green Beans or Prawns / Clams / Cod . They were all delicious 😋 

I would bet she made it fresh. This restaurant just added some seasoning to food prepared earlier in the day. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, drsawzall said:

It was too hot to cook either lunch or dinner, so I compromised...

The BEST Lobster Rolls (With Both Butter AND Mayonnaise) - foodiecrush.com

It isn't paella but you can send me one of those anytime. They look delicious. There was a restaurant in Florida that called something like that a lobster roll

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
18 hours ago, mikedup said:

Taste buds worked overtime in this chapter, the children thrive on needing to be held and cuddled, the tucking in is just so very personable that each child gets individual attention, which can only be good. 

Those children are starved for affection. Every child in every orphanage is starved for love, but not all the people who visit them offer the affection of Dad and Pop.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, chris191070 said:

I'm hungry after reading this and I want paella 

If you find a restaurant that serves excellent paella, find out if they deliver

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, raven1 said:

I am usually left hungry after reading chapters in this story even if I have just eaten before reading.  I'm hoping GG has some great suggestions and resources to help Armand with the paintings for the children.  

I am always hungry. To combat that hunger, I work on this story just before I am served my lunch.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 7/12/2023 at 11:57 AM, mansexlover said:

love paella   but can only eat it if it doesn't contain any shellfish.

There's a number of solutions for those with shellfish allergies. 'Paella auténtica' starting with saffron rice, vegetables and meat (carnes) including beef, chicken, rabbit, sausage etc. Fish alone (pescado) and even vegetarian. Dinner only restricted by the chef's (James) imagination.

Accredited by the Spanish Government,  paella was created in Valencia and is the national dish of Spain. Truly authentic paella does not contain any fish or shellfish, according to Valencians. 

Buen apetito!

Paella-20.jpg

             ~     ~     ~

As for Armand painting a 'keepsake' portrait for orphaned children with no memory of their parent(s), especially if abandoned at birth, hopefully GG 🐦may be able to help with that. 💞

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 7/15/2023 at 9:50 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

There's a number of solutions for those with shellfish allergies. 'Paella auténtica' starting with saffron rice, vegetables and meat (carnes) including beef, chicken, rabbit, sausage etc. Fish alone (pescado) and even vegetarian. Dinner only restricted by the chef's (James) imagination.

Accredited by the Spanish Government,  paella was created in Valencia and is the national dish of Spain. Truly authentic paella does not contain any fish or shellfish, according to Valencians. 

Buen apetito!

Paella-20.jpg

             ~     ~     ~

As for Armand painting a 'keepsake' portrait for orphaned children with no memory of their parent(s), especially if abandoned at birth, hopefully GG 🐦may be able to help with that. 💞

I am a rice devotee and the more styles of cooking rice the better I like it. The paella I had in Spain was at the top of the list for me. I had read that there is a paella festival where huge pots of paella are prepared. I forgot which city this ritual took place in. Tony, you may recall where this festival took place

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Although it's been 2 decades, I recall the annual Fiesta de la Paella in Benicássim near Castelló on the east coast - Costa del Azahar - in Spain. 

Didn't win PowerBall (yet?) so unfortunately no private jet for trip with friends to enjoy Paella first hand. 😟

 

 

  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..