Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,738 Words
  • 982 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 194. Chapter 194

Arnaud heard about a painter in Poland. I could never understand these painters that followed the style of Picasso.

“Do the doctors know what is wrong with Arnaud?”

“From what Jean said he is just worn out. I didn’t realize the responsibility he has. He is the titular head of his family and from what I gather, he has a few loonies in the bunch. One cousin goes around dressed as a king in the 14th century.”

“Christian will have his hands full.” We hadn’t seen Roger for several weeks. “When you go fishing on Saturday, see if you can catch a lot of lobster and shrimp. I’d like to invite a few quests for paella.”

“When I go fishing? When we go fishing.” We laughed.

Life is funny. When you start thinking and talking about someone they seem to know and show up. Saturday morning at breakfast, the door opened, and in walked Roger with a big smile on his face.

“To what do we owe this pleasure? Sit down and have breakfast with us.” Marie saw him come in and by the time he sat down a cup of coffee was before him. “When did you get back from Europe?”

“A few days ago.”

“And how are Arnaud and Jean?”

“They are doing okay when I left. Arnaud isn’t well, so be prepared for a last-minute trip. The trip to Poland was too much for him. He did meet the young artist and bought a painting for his collection. Jean told him he may borrow it for the museum. I think he said that for Arnaud’s benefit. I honestly didn’t see anything exciting. You, and now Carl, are spoiling me.” We laughed I knew what he m

“Jean said Arnold has been busy divorcing the family. His will gives each member of his family a stipend that they can take or invest. He has brought Christian up to date so he will be fully informed on how to handle certain members of the family.”

I knew that Arnaud’s family was involved with the royal family prior to the revolution .“I wish the best for Christian.”

“He will have his hands full but he’s a smart young man and Arnaud will make sure he has all the information he needs to handle the family.”

Marie set a plate in front of Roger, “No more talking, eat before it gets cold.”

“Yes, mother.” I laughed as Marie hit his head with her hand.

The news about Arnaud bothered me. I liked him, he was a collector of art so we had a lot in common. I didn’t have many close friends outside of the artists I knew, from school and those I met through Arnaud and Jean.

“Roger, if you haven’t anything planned for the weekend, come fishing with us. We fish on Saturday, have a fish dinner at the Home and Sunday we have paella at the club. What do you think?”

“Do I have to fish?”

“No, you can sit with me. We have a few lounge chairs, I generally bait the traps. You can help with that. You’ll enjoy it.”

“Okay, what time do I need to be here?”

“We have breakfast at 6:30, so be here and have breakfast with us.”

I told Colin about Roger coming fishing with us on Saturday.

“I think I’ll ask Charles. I’ll bet his boys would like to come along as well.”

Our fishing group was growing. I wonder how many rods I’ll need to buy.

That evening I told the boys fishing was on for Saturday. I also told them we will have guests so they may have to share their chairs.

After tucking them in, “Want to bet after our Italian friends leave, they will be asking if they could invite their school friends.”

I laughed, “This morning they asked if they could invite a friend. I told them after our Italian friends went home we would discuss it.”

“You know they won’t forget.”

“I don’t have a problem with it if you don’t”

“What did Roger have to say?”

“Arnaud isn’t doing well. He said we should keep a suitcase packed.”

“I thought he perked up after you painted that Angel for him.”

“He did but evidently the trip to Poland was too much for him.”

“You are going to miss him.”

“And you aren’t?”

“Even though he is more your friend than mine, I will miss him.”

That evening after Colin fell asleep I thought about Grandmere. She must be close to Arnaud’s age. The only family death we have had was John. Thinking about my mom and dad and Mary, Colin’s mother, in the next 10 to 15 years we may see more deaths. I need to paint them as they are today.

 

Our fishing trip on Saturday was something else. Charles came with his boys and their friends. Roger kept me company sitting on a chase lounges at the bow of the boat. “We fish north of the dock. I would guess we would be close to Maine.”

“It looks like we are pulling away from the shore.”

“Last week we actually went north-east. I think that is where we will go today”

Then we heard I got a fish. It was one of the boys from the Home. “We will use that fish to bait the traps. Notice how small it is and being caught next to the dock it isn’t good to eat.”

Roger watched me as I used the fish to bait one of the traps.

“Does the captain and first mate live on the boat?”

I realized this is the first time Roger has seen the boat. “Come with me and I’ll give you the 50-cent tour.”

Returning to the deck, Colin said, “You have your work cut out. Check the cooler.”

I did and I offered to show Roger how to prepare the fish for the traps. There were a few larger fish than we usually catch near the dock and shore. Looking around I noticed that we were quite a way from the coast. Then it dawned on me. The last time we followed the coast and then went east. This time we headed directly for the area we fished last week. So we were getting in deeper water as we moved on a diagonal from the dock to where we fished last week.

I went and checked the map, “We will drop these traps in about fifteen minutes.”

It was a beautiful day on the sea. A cooling breeze, happy kids, and happy grownups as well.

Sitting there watching the boys when one yelled for help. “Watch he must have caught a big fish.” Colin and the first mate went to help him. Roger and I watched as they landed a large codfish. “That’s a cod fish. We will be getting larger fish now. “ I gutted the fish, I needed more bait for the traps,

Within 20 minutes, more or less, the boys were getting strikes and soon the second large cod was caught. The captain slowed the boat and the boys started to catch fish. We were filling one cooler fairly fast as we started to catch Atlantic salmon. He wanted one of the salmon for dinner, I told him to pick one out.

The boys were having fun. Charles’s boys had their own cooler and it was filling fast. Everyone was smiling.

I pulled the first trap, it literally was loaded with shrimp. I dumped the shrimp into one of the smaller coolers. Baited, and down it went again. I was hoping for lobster and I think the captain was as well.

I waited about an hour when I pulled the second trap. I had my lobsters. “How do you know what to bait those traps for shrimp and lobster?”

“When we vacationed in Barcelona we fished with an old man. We called him grandfather. The boys fished, and I handled the traps. He told me how to bait them for shrimp and lobster. The shrimp like the entrails, whereas the lobster like the fish.”

So I showed him as I baited the lobster trap. Then we tossed it over the side.

I waited about an hour and pulled the shrimp trap, Roger just looked. “This cooler is almost full.”

“If we pull more shrimp. Anything that doesn’t go into the shrimp cooler goes to the captain’s freezer."

I waited another 30 to 40 minutes and pulled the lobster trap. I caught Colin looking at me and I just smiled. Now Roger was helping me band the claws. I gave one to the captain and the first mate took it down to the kitchen. That would be their dinner tonight,

I checked the time and catching Colin’s eye, I rubbed my stomach. I was getting hungry. He laughed and headed to the kitchen. I knew it would be hotdogs. What I didn’t see, he took the shrimp cooler with him.

The boys continued to fish and now Roger was helping the boys. Carl was snapping photos and I was watching. I heard Colin, saying lunch is ready. We had hand wipes, I gave each boy a hand wipe instructing them to wipe their hands, and put the used wipes in the trash bin which I had shown them.

Colin came up with a tray of hot dogs followed by the First Mate with catsup and mustard. I looked at the hot dog, each one had a boiled shrimp attached.

The boys looked at the shrimp and laughed, but they ate them. Hot dogs being eaten, Colin returned with cans of soda for them.

Roger laughed, but he ate his hot dog with the shrimp. The captain brought a coffee pot up from the galley and paper cups.

As the boys finished their lunch, they went back to fishing. The captain was moving the boat in a wide circle. He told the boys he didn’t want to deplete all the fish in that one spot.

The older boys smiled but the younger boys from the Home believed him. They would look at me, I smiled and shook my head no. They smiled and went back to fishing.

We fished until 4 PM, then we headed back to port. We had enough fish, shrimp, and lobster for Sunday’s dinner at the club, and fish for dinner tonight at the Home.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 24
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

11 hours ago, drsawzall said:

@weinerdog, like this...

Maine Fresh Lobster Roll Kit for 4 - lobsterorder.com

Isn’t that a New England Style Lobster Roll ? I Don’t See a Long Cylindrical Meat Stick In There 🔍👀😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
On 7/16/2023 at 11:28 AM, mansexlover said:

Another successful fishing expedition.  Sad that Arnaud is not well.

yes, it appears we will have paella on Sunday. Arnaud is up in age probably either the same age as Gandmere or a few years older. His family, not Christian, but the extended family has been a problem for him,

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 7/16/2023 at 11:49 AM, mikedup said:

Sad news about Arnaud, but life marches on regardless, Armand 's idea t paint the seniors now will be a good idea , it is almost like time is running out, the boys are really enjoying the weekly fish out at sea

As long as the weather is nice I expect them to be fishing. Armand should stock up on a few rods. After the Italian boys will be friends.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/16/2023 at 11:57 AM, drsawzall said:

I pity the fish with all those experienced fishermen, and prayers for Arnaud....

There is always plenty of fish. The captain knows. I read an article that said the best fishing grounds were off the coast of Maine.  I guess the captain read the same article.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 7/16/2023 at 12:18 PM, chris191070 said:

Prayers for Arnaud. Another fantastic fishing trip.

I am assuming you will read all of the comments. This fishing area is one of the best.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 7/16/2023 at 1:12 PM, weinerdog said:

I didn't realize Arnaud had so much responsibility. 

I think you may have planted a idea in somebody's head.Don't be surprised if somewhere (probably Boston) they are selling hot dogs with shrimp attached. Come to think of it I wouldn't be surprised if they sold lobster dogs there

 

Arnaud is the oldest of the family. You remember the hall of paintings in his home, He also controls the family's wealth. Now facing the future he must weigh any decisions he makes.

You can let me know. I do know they sell lobster rolls.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/16/2023 at 1:55 PM, drsawzall said:

@weinerdog, like this...

Maine Fresh Lobster Roll Kit for 4 - lobsterorder.com

That's a possibility. I do know they sell lobster rolls.  i wouldn't mind one of those now.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 7/16/2023 at 3:59 PM, akascrubber said:

Armand and Colin have turned fishing trips into a family/friends enjoyable art form. Everyone seems to love participating. They welcome others. Plus, at the end they are helping to create wonderful meals for all. You can almost hear the laugher and happy voices during the trip.

Thinking about Armand aging not too well, convinces Armand to paint pics of His and Colin's senior family members. Reading that Carl was taking photos during the fishing trip helped me hope that Carl or Armand might consider paintings based on their fishing rips.

I know that was Carl's idea. Armand has recognized that his parents and Colin's mother are getting older. And now is the time for him to create family paintings.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 7/16/2023 at 5:04 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Another interesting chapter Calvin, but sad news about Arnaud's life journey drawing to a close, (half expected / afraid it might be about Grandmere).

Unfortunately time yields for no one. Arnaud has been given time to get his 'family' affairs in order, and preserve its 'nobility' for his heir and rightful successor Christian. (and not the oh so many 'pretenders' to French royalty, essentially fighting for money and titles. Mon dieu).

Armand needs to heed the advice to capture images of family (and friends) to accompany stories and memories. Carl will help and GG 🐦will inspire.

Take care.

You are right, Arnaud needs to protect Christian. I will bet he has already thought that issue through. he probably has a job for Armand as well. I am assuming the smoke isn't posing a problem for you. Be well

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 7/17/2023 at 12:24 AM, raven1 said:

I wonder when Colin will be asked to buy a bigger boat. 😄  It is distressing that Arnaud is sick.  That he feels the need to prepare his estate for Christian to take over means he feels the end is near.  I wonder if he just needs to relax and spend more time enjoying life than worrying about the family's problems.  It's nice to have Roger back.  The fishing trip was successful and great meals will be had by all.  I'm sure the boys will be very happy to have another paella dinner.

If I were there I would be as well. Arnaud is an intelligent man but age takes its toll. Christian has lived in his father's footsteps. He knows the family. I think fishing will continue as long as the weather doesn't pose a threat. The question is, who will be next after the Italian guests leave

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 7/17/2023 at 12:32 AM, raven1 said:

I'm sure @weinerdog would not mind being stuffed with shrimp before being put on top of some hot buns.

 hotdog wtf GIF by Richie Brown

That might not be a hot dog but it is a fast dog. Thanks

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..