Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,429 Words
  • 1,574 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 127. Chapter 127

As they were walking to the hotel, the idea of selling fish from a wheelbarrow packed with ice solidified. Entering the lobby of the hotel, Armand noticed a woman with a flower cart selling flowers. “Colin, that is what we need. A cart like that. A wheelbarrow seems a little crude compared to a cart like that woman has. Let’s ask her where she got that cart.”

Alesander went and talked to her. She gave him a note where she had written an address. I told Alesander to buy a bouquet of flowers for his mother. It wasn’t an issue of his mother getting flowers as it was paying the woman for the help she gave Alesander.

The next morning I met Alesander and Colin and I went with him to check out a flower cart. On the way, we saw a truck that was selling prepackaged lunches. Alesander said there were a few of these trucks that operated in the business section as well as the country side where a few large farms existed.

“Colin, the truck is small enough and I’ll bet it could be converted for sea food delivery.”

“Alesander, do you know where these trucks are sold?”

“Yes, they have a factory about 30 kilos south of the city center.”

“Let’s go and see what they have. They might have a used truck. You could use it to deliver fish to the hotel chefs.”

Getting to the truck factory was a problem. The only way was by taxi and we couldn’t take everyone. I told Colin for him a Alesander go and check it out. I knew Colin could make a better evaluation than I could.

While Colin and Alesander went check out the truck, the dads and the boys went fishing on Grandfather’s boat. I went to a Realitor seeking a place close to the wharf’s for a permanent store.

Barcelona had a business section and that is where I headed. I found several realtors but most of them were dealing in rentals of apartments and homes on the south shores outside of the city. One of the Realtors suggested a small reality who specialized in businesses. Walking into his office, it was a very small. I thought I may have the wrong address.

Upon entering, this short little man asked if he could help me. I told him I was looking for a place to start a business. He smiled asking what kind of business did I have in mind. Over the next hour, with the help of an area map, I told him what was my business and showed him the area on his map.

“Do you mind doing some work? If you don’t, I have a place in this area,” showing me the area on his map.

“Can we see this place? The location is fine.”

Smiling, he locked up his shop, placed a sign indication he is closed and will be back shortly. Walking to the side of the building, we got into his car and we were off.

I noticed we passed many of the same places we did when we walked to the wharf.

He pulled in front of an old house. “This may not look like much, but the house is solid.” He was right, it didn’t look like much.

He started to walk toward the back of the house. When we turned the corner, I was sold. About 1500 feet from the back porch was the ocean. It had to be the same ocean Grandfather and the fishermen fished from. In my head, if a dock was put there, the fishermen could drop off their catch.

“Let’s go inside.”

He opened the back door, there was a small room with a sink and water service, that room led to a kitchen, a rather large kitchen. I was sure the previous owner ate in the kitchen. From the kitchen, there were two rooms facing the street and a staircase to the second floor. The second floor had three bedrooms and one bathroom. The Realitor said there was an attic.

In my mind this was perfect for Alesander if he was willing to put in the work.

I asked the Realitor how long the property has been on the market. His response was hesitant. I think he didn’t want to tell me afraid if it was on the market for a long time I wouldn’t want it.

“I’m definitely interested in this property but before I sign anything, I’d like my partners to see it. Would you be available tomorrow morning about 10?”

His smile told me he would be available anytime I wanted him to be.

That evening I told Colin and Alesander about the house. They wanted to see right then. “It’s dark out. We’ll go in the morning after breakfast. Colin, I think we should go to Italy. The boys will have a better time and so will our parents.”

“Why don’t you take them and then return to help us. But first, let’s see what that property looks like.”

I agreed to make traveling plans, after we saw the property.

In the morning, after breakfast, I told the dads about the property. Now, everyone wanted to see the property. There was a small parade walking to the lot. From the hotel, before leaving, I called the realtor and he said he would meet us at the property.

Walking, “Boys, what do think about flying to Italy to see Nonna tomorrow?”

“Can we go fishing today?”

“If you want to go, you need to see if Grandfather is planning on going fishing today.”

When we approached the road leading to the wharf, the boys wanted to go and see Grandfather. “Let me show Pop and the Grands the house then I’ll go with you to check if Grandfather was going fishing.”

That seemed to be agreeable.

As we approached the house, my Realitor was there. After introductions, my realitor spoke a little English welcoming us. I whispered to him to show us the back yard. As he spoke to Colin and the boys in Spanish, he led them behind the house where one could see the ocean. “Dad, we could go fishing from here.”

Colin was surprised and began discussing the idea of building a wharf. The Realitor was quite familiar with the property almost as if he lived there. He knew how far a wharf would have to be extended to be able to dock fishing boats. They began to discuss if there were builders who could do that. It sounded to be that Colin had already made up his mind.

The ladies wanted to see the inside, the Realitor opened the back door explaining the house hasn’t been occupied for the last several years.

“Armand, have you discussed price?”

“He quoted a price in Euros. I haven’t checked the conversion rate but I thought it was reasonable. The house will need some work and there isn’t a basement. He said that at high tide water seeped in. The house is built on concrete posts. What do you think?”

“Location is great and the possibility of building a dock here would be perfect. He could get the captains to stop here with their catch.”

Walking inside, “There is a lot of work that will need to be done in here as well. Being empty for several years has caused problems. Floors will need to be checked, repair or replaced, and walls will need to be scrapped and painted.”

“What’s upstairs?”

“Three rooms and a bathroom. The walls and floors are like these and the bathroom will need to be replaced. Another thing, the basement support will need to be upgraded. I thought the refrigerators and freezers would be in the kitchen. He’ll need some floor supports.”

“The boys want to go fishing, What did you tell them?”

“I told them after you all looked at the property, they could check if Grandfather was going out.”

“I think the dads want to go as well.”

Colin whispered, “Turn around”

I did and there were the boys. “Well, is grandfather going out today?” The look on their faces made Colin and I laughed.

They went to the granddads, and soon they were walking to the wharf.

I asked the ladies what did they think. Bottom line. “It’ll require a lot of work.”

The consensus, if Alesander was willing to make it work, we should proceed. Then the ladies started to make out a list and from listening, this would be a major project.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 22
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/30/2022 at 8:22 PM, dutch woman said:

Nice that they are going to help Alesandro but Armand and Colin should not take too much hay on their fork; at home in America they have plenty to do besides their work: the orphanage (building and entertaining) ,buying  a fishing boat find  adoptive parents  for the baby girl and  caring for Colin's dad health.

You are right. It is easy for them to overload themselves. With Marie going home with them will assume some of the load. They need to do a time evaluation.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 11/30/2022 at 8:41 PM, scrubber6620 said:

Wow-the planning is moving along very fast. It looks good so far, but the grandfather has to buy into the deal . Will he agree?

He might.  The other fishing boats could keep them in fish, shrimp and lobster

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The house does sound like a lot of work to make it into a processing place, storage for the fish and a shop.  There does seem to be enough room, maybe even a place for Alesander, his mother and Grandfather.  The small truck is also a good idea.  I hope this shapes up for them all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..